Adieu "all-you-can-eat-mains" at the Crown Grill

Oh2B@C

Oh, wow, Mellon. Again you have my sympathy. Not to rub it in, but I am an omnivore. I love to eat just about everything (OK, yes, I do draw the line at beets.), and I would be very disappointed if I could not eat the very things that are so dangerous to you.

You are lucky! You get used to it. Funny thing was never allergic until in my early 30's. Always had shrimp no problem, until the last time...ER!! Now I carry benedryl everywhere. My friend is a nurse and she said she had an attack once and ran into the nearest store and opened the bottle and started to chew her tablets!.

Sometimes on the cruise I will get cross contamination and my feet will itch like crazy and hives. Just take the benedryl with me. I can never do buffets, get fries at restaurants, as a lot of times they use the same grease.

There is always plenty of food on the ship. They do a great job

• 3 months later...
I have dined in the Grown Grill numerous times, always order the lobster as my "main", and have never been served just one lobster tail. It's always been 4 to 6, depending on the size, which is actually more than I can eat. The portions are not stingy, so IMO, well worth the $29.

Right. That was before and it was great value. Now, you will get one tail and if you want a few, it will cost you like $29+$20 extra.

I think it’s really poor policy to start nickle-and-diming people in the Crown Grill and other specialty restaurants. It goes against long time cruise culture where food is all-inclusive. I can understand the cover charge, but this is just going a bit too far.

We would usually order the muscles as an appie to share, then get a filet and a couple tiny lobster tails each... not excessive, but now that will cost us $58 for cover plus $50 for extras. That’s like twice the price! It’s not right.

Cruising use to be great value. It’s slowly deteriorating in value and based on the attitude of many apologists here, I can see why. We’re all frogs getting boiled to death slowly, and not only are some people oblivious to it, they actually support it. WOW.

At least in our case, Princess’ attempt to earn more revenue from us is actually going to earn them less as we will no longer go to the specialty restaurants. That’s cover charges they will no longer get. Hope they’re happy saving the cost of a few tiny lobster tails.

Edited by VirtualRain

The primary reason we don't eat at the specialty restaurants more is because there is just too much food, so I can't imagine eating 2 entrees and unlike home, we can't split a meal or take leftovers home. Even if it is better, it seems like such a waste of food for us. If we go someplace nice like Capital Grille or Ruth's Chris, we might split an appetizer, each have a salad, and split an entree and sides. We rarely have dessert, but if we do, we would split it.

Right. That was before and it was great value. Now, you will get one tail and if you want a few, it will cost you like $29+$20 extra.

I think it’s really poor policy to start nickle-and-diming people in the Crown Grill and other specialty restaurants. It goes against long time cruise culture where food is all-inclusive. I can understand the cover charge, but this is just going a bit too far.

We would usually order the muscles as an appie to share, then get a filet and a couple tiny lobster tails each... not excessive, but now that will cost us $58 for cover plus $50 for extras. That’s like twice the price! It’s not right.

Cruising use to be great value. It’s slowly deteriorating in value and based on the attitude of many apologists here, I can see why. We’re all frogs getting boiled to death slowly, and not only are some people oblivious to it, they actually support it. WOW.

At least in our case, Princess’ attempt to earn more revenue from us is actually going to earn them less as we will no longer go to the specialty restaurants. That’s cover charges they will no longer get. Hope they’re happy saving the cost of a few tiny lobster tails.

I wish I could order muscles at the Crown Grill, much better deal than going to the gym.

I agree, we just went for the grilled steak after getting a steak in the MDR that seemed like it was baked in the oven.

I do think that anyone who orders 3 entrees or orders every appetizer and side on the menu who doesn't make a good effort to finish them should be charged a "waste of food fee". The couple next to us in the grill both ordered the 22oz porterhouse and 2 lobster entrees along with nearly every appetizer and side on the menu and only ate half their steaks and a few bites from each side... very wasteful.

Love going to the crown grill, but the steaks are large. I usually leave half. I'd prefer a half portion, but that's not an option

DW and I were on the Regal this month and dined at the CG. We did not experience this limitation.

The waiter gave me a couple extra lobster tails. Didn't have to ask.

Can't honestly say if I noticed a change of policy on the entree. The policy may have changed on the Regal, maybe not. Maybe it was because I was nice to the the personnel in the CG.

In the MDR the same thing. A couple tails found their way to my plate by the time I finished the first tail.

• 2 weeks later...
Personally, I think one main dish with all the sides you can eat and endless desserts for $29.00 is more than adequate and certainly fair. Obviously there are people with much bigger appetites than the average person and you are very lucky to be offered a second main dish for only $10.00. I really don't see a down side here.

I have to disagree with what you wrote. The 29. Is not the cost of dinner. It is a cover charge for just eating at a specialty restaurant. Th ere are people. With all kinds of appetites and tastes. He is correct that princess has found a new way to nickel and ten dollar us.:):)

I have to disagree with what you wrote. The 29. Is not the cost of dinner. It is a cover charge for just eating at a specialty restaurant. Th ere are people. With all kinds of appetites and tastes. He is correct that princess has found a new way to nickel and ten dollar us.:):)

And you now this for a fact - how?

First, you've already PAID for the food in your fare...you are being asked to pay additional for "a better dining experience"...and some extra items they don't serve in the MDR. So, you can't compare the dining to a land restaurant at all.

It won't be long before all the lines will be only including the buffet...wait and see! In the last 20 years, they've gone from NO surcharge dining to many, many "fee" venues. As long as folks continue to fork over their $$$, it will only get more onerous!

I agree with that. I've said it for years. Not my first choice, but it won't keep me from cruising.

Time to move over to SilverSea and Crystal, then. They don't "nickel and dime" anyone for anything. They just charge about $2000 more for the same itinerary.

Conversely, you could avoid the Crown Grill and just patronize the MDR's or the buffet. Don't want to be charged for Crown Grill, then don't attend the Crown Grill. Simple as that.

Time to move over to SilverSea and Crystal, then. They don't "nickel and dime" anyone for anything. They just charge about $2000 more for the same itinerary.

Conversely, you could avoid the Crown Grill and just patronize the MDR's or the buffet. Don't want to be charged for Crown Grill, then don't attend the Crown Grill. Simple as that.

10828987125_e0f49f29f1_o.jpg

Well said.....:):):)

Bob

When we went to the CG we would add the lobster tail to the fillet for a "surf and turf" but I won't pay another $10 for that.

We did that in May and there was no extra charge. We also tried all the sides.

Theyre paying staff pennies, they're their own landlord, and they have very little regulation because of the flag they fly.

I could be argued they're not paying their staff anything. You are - through your gratuities.

[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree with that. I've said it for years. Not my first choice, but it won't keep me from cruising.

Just returned from Royal Princess TA. Enjoyed the Crown Grill, especially since we felt the food in MDR had slipped considerably. Did "specialty" 4 times as a result, and didn't mind the extra charge for the surf 'n turf. Also, Celebrity charges $45-50 for specialty dining, but it's really good. In many other areas, I felt Princess was trying to squeeze the last nickel out of us.

Just returned from Royal Princess TA. Enjoyed the Crown Grill, especially since we felt the food in MDR had slipped considerably. Did "specialty" 4 times as a result, and didn't mind the extra charge for the surf 'n turf. Also, Celebrity charges $45-50 for specialty dining, but it's really good. In many other areas, I felt Princess was trying to squeeze the last nickel out of us.

We just came back from Celebrity Summit and it is correct that the list price of the steakhouse is $45 BUT we paid in advance $209 for 9 dinners and if we hadn't done so once on board they were offering half price some nights, we felt it was good value.

Wow. It sounds like the food has really gone downhill from past years. Every time we've been on the Royal we though their quality & prep has been outstanding.

We shall see shortly.

We just came back from Celebrity Summit and it is correct that the list price of the steakhouse is $45 BUT we paid in advance $209 for 9 dinners and if we hadn't done so once on board they were offering half price some nights, we felt it was good value.

Wow - great package price. Never seen it from Princess.

Wow. It sounds like the food has really gone downhill from past years. Every time we've been on the Royal we though their quality & prep has been outstanding.

We shall see shortly.

Yes, we thought the food had gone downhill from our previous cruises on Ruby and Star. On this TA, we booked the "Chef's Table" AS SOON AS WE GOT ON (a MUST!) It was spectacular!!! And well worth the extra $115/pp. So we know they know HOW to cook. But they seem to be cutting corners with the food everywhere else (and a few other things).

Wow - great package price. Never seen it from Princess.

I had forgotten about that specialty package on Celebrity. Will definitely do it next time. Thanks! Does it have to be all one resto, or can you split between say Murano, Tuscan, and Lawn Club?

Can you order more than one entree in the dining room?

According to this and other current threads, some cruisers report no issue, other than the whole plate comes, even if wanted just the protein item, for example. Others have to ask in sequence, but I gather nothing has really changed and you can order additional items. Just don't expect them to bring 2 or 3 plates at once - besides there isn't room on the table for it all at once.

We shall see shortly.

I wrote a review of the Royal TA on Cruise Critic a few days ago, that you might find helpful, but it hasn't shown up yet. Don't know how long it takes for them to approve it. Maybe someone else knows how this works. Spent a lot of time on it. Have not done in the past.