Appalling customer "service": Cancellation of Alaskan cruise, September 2018

DeeV66

My husband and I hada reservation on the Norwegian Sun, departing 24 September 2018. We had paidfor the cruise (and even the service charges) in full by the end of February2017, and were so looking forward to the cruise, believing that all the schlep was taken care of... However, on the 11thof July 2017, I received this letter:

DearValued Guests and Travel Partners,

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regardingNorwegian Sun's 10-Day Alaska sailing from Vancouverof September 24, 2018. All guestsbooked on this sailing need to be aware of this change and travel professionals are asked to forward this information to their clients.

As a result of the redeployment of Norwegian Sun, the September24, 2018 sailing is no longer available.

Norwegian is offering guests currentlybooked and fully deposited on this sailing to select any availablesailing in our fleet through April, 2019 at the current published fares and your deposit will be moved towards the new sailing date.

If you choose this option and are booked in an Inside staterooma $25 onboard credit per stateroom will be applied to your onboard account. If you are currently booked in an Oceanview or higher stateroomyou will receive a $50 per stateroomonboard credit. The onboard credit can be used on any expenditure on the ship excluding service charges.

Norwegian will also cover up to $300 maximum per person air change fees. We look forward to hearing from you by July 19, 2017, so that we can modify your reservation. If we don't hear from you by July 19, 2017, your reservation will be cancelledand received paymentwill be refunded. We are standingby to assist you on our dedicatedsupport line at (877) 461-1160 from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm ET Monday through Friday.

We thank you for choosing NorwegianCruise Line and we look forward to assisting you.

As it turns out, noone was interested in assisting me: As the tone of this unapologetic letter(sent by the Vice President of Passenger Services of all people!) should havesuggested to me, the concept of customer care is not that well understood byNCL.

We were quite willingto change our cruise date, but no dates are available beyond May 2018. Thisleft us with 3 cruises similar to the ne we had originally booked, i.e. two in September 2017, and one in May 2018.

We opted for either of the September cruises, eventhough they are only 2 months away, and would require some major work schedulereshuffling on both our parts. Both of the September cruises had a balconycabin in the same category as the one we originally booked available, but costmore - between $300 and $500 per person!

I thought that wasvery unfair – after all, it was not I who planned so poorly that a cruise hadto be cancelled… And I felt that we were very accommodating: it is not an easytask for very busy people to push forward a vacation by a full year!

However,when I called the reservation number, I was informed that I could either paythe much higher rates, or cancel my booking. When I asked about the availability of Alaskan cruisesbeyond May 2018, I was informed that the Norwegian Pearl would take the place of the Sun, butthat the schedule was unknown and bookings unavailable.

I am not prepared topay that much extra for something that was not my fault or even my decision, soI cancelled the booking.

I am so disappointedand sad at losing our long-awaited vacation.

I feel that I was unfairly treatedby an uncaring company, who punishes its “valued guests” for its own lack oforganizational and planning skills.

Why could I not have changed my booking (atno extra cost) to a different date? Surely it would be to NCL's advantage to move our booking to a cruise that is only 2 months away?

Alternatively, why could they not have keptthe schedule, and deployed a different ship?

Above all, why call us valuedguests, and write that they are looking forward to assisting us, when this isclearly not the case???

Sorry, but you seem to be too invested in a cruise over 1 year away. If NCL required payment in full at time of booking I could see why people are upset with NCL when this happens, but they don't.

There will almost certainly be a cruise to Alaska at that time next year, hopefully the price will be comparable. If not...again, you are more than a year out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if I've digested that right:

• They'll re-book you onto any cruise they currently have on calendar;
  • They'll cover your change fees if you've bought airline tickets; and
  • They'll give you $50 for the trouble of changing a reservation that's more than a year out, and that you'd still be free to cancel if you so choose.

But what you want is:

• A particular cruise that's more expensive at the same price; or
  • To be booked onto a sailing that's not on calendar yet, and is just as likely to be rescheduled and leave you disappointed again?

Separately, why would you put thousands of extra dollars towards this sailing now, more than a year in advance, as opposed to parking them in a high yield savings account or other investment vehicle? You're using present dollars to pay a future expense that, next year, will cost comparatively less after inflation. And you're locking yourselves into something you might choose to reschedule if a different cruise line offers a better sailing during that period at a lower price.

What am I missing here?

Welcome to the Cruise Critic boards.

I find that when I make reservations 4-6 months in advance, my plans, NCL's and the airlines' plans tend to remain very stable, while I still have plenty of time to explore shore and meal reservations, etc.

my husband and i hada reservation on the norwegian sun, departing 24 september 2018. We had paidfor the cruise (and even the service charges) in full by the end of february2017, and were so looking forward to the cruise, believing that all the schlep was taken care of... However, on the 11thof july 2017, i received this letter:

dearvalued guests and travel partners,

norwegian cruise line has important information for you regardingnorwegian sun's 10-day alaska sailing from vancouverof september 24, 2018. All guestsbooked on this sailing need to be aware of this change and travel professionals are asked to forward this information to their clients.

as a result of the redeployment of norwegian sun, the september24, 2018 sailing is no longer available.

norwegian is offering guests currentlybooked and fully deposited on this sailing to select any availablesailing in our fleet through april, 2019 at the current published fares and your deposit will be moved towards the new sailing date.

if you choose this option and are booked in an inside staterooma $25 onboard credit per stateroom will be applied to your onboard account. If you are currently booked in an oceanview or higher stateroomyou will receive a $50 per stateroomonboard credit. The onboard credit can be used on any expenditure on the ship excluding service charges.

norwegian will also cover up to $300 maximum per person air change fees. We look forward to hearing from you by july 19, 2017, so that we can modify your reservation. If we don't hear from you by july 19, 2017, your reservation will be cancelledand received paymentwill be refunded. We are standingby to assist you on our dedicatedsupport line at (877) 461-1160 from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm et monday through friday.

we thank you for choosing norwegiancruise line and we look forward to assisting you.

as it turns out, noone was interested in assisting me: As the tone of this unapologetic letter(sent by the vice president of passenger services of all people!) should havesuggested to me, the concept of customer care is not that well understood byncl.

we were quite willingto change our cruise date, but no dates are available beyond may 2018. Thisleft us with 3 cruises similar to the ne we had originally booked, i.e. Two in september 2017, and one in may 2018.

we opted for either of the september cruises, eventhough they are only 2 months away, and would require some major work schedulereshuffling on both our parts. Both of the september cruises had a balconycabin in the same category as the one we originally booked available, but costmore - between $300 and $500 per person!

i thought that wasvery unfair – after all, it was not i who planned so poorly that a cruise hadto be cancelled… and i felt that we were very accommodating: It is not an easytask for very busy people to push forward a vacation by a full year!

however,when i called the reservation number, i was informed that i could either paythe much higher rates, or cancel my booking. When i asked about the availability of alaskan cruisesbeyond may 2018, i was informed that the norwegian pearl would take the place of the sun, butthat the schedule was unknown and bookings unavailable.

i am not prepared topay that much extra for something that was not my fault or even my decision, soi cancelled the booking.

i am so disappointedand sad at losing our long-awaited vacation.

i feel that i was unfairly treatedby an uncaring company, who punishes its “valued guests” for its own lack oforganizational and planning skills.

why could i not have changed my booking (atno extra cost) to a different date? Surely it would be to ncl's advantage to move our booking to a cruise that is only 2 months away?

alternatively, why could they not have keptthe schedule, and deployed a different ship?

above all, why call us valuedguests, and write that they are looking forward to assisting us, when this isclearly not the case???

read your contract

Bookings for Alaska are available for 2018. I booked the NCL Pearl weeks ago for Sept 2018.

I believe that the NCL Jewel has been assigned to take the place of the Sun for Alaska 2018.

Edited by Elainemh

I do feel for you, OP, but this kind of this situation, though thankfully rare, happens to just about every cruise line. Over on the Celebrity boards there is a very long thread about a cancellation on their new ship the Edge for a cruise almost 2 years out. It's upsetting when it happens to you!

The good thing, I hope, is that you haven't spent money on airlines or hotels. If you are locked into certain dates, and NCL can't accommodate you for price and amenities, look into other cruise lines. I do hope you find something that works for you.

Sorry they made this change. Sorry it messed up your plans.

BUT - not sure where this is a customer service issue. They notified you and gave options. Might not be what you would like, but where is the "appalling" customer service part?

That has to be so frustrating. In the scheme of things, it's created a headache for you and they won't waive a $300pp difference. I think that's crazy. Sorry for these other people jumping on you. I found the letter not personal, and $50 on board credit a bit insulting since they just cancelled your entire cruise and it will probably cost you more than $300 to change flights. Overall, it seems you lose and NCL didn't care a bit. Il

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That has to be so frustrating. In the scheme of things, it's created a headache for you and they won't waive a $300pp difference. I think that's crazy. Sorry for these other people jumping on you. I found the letter not personal, and $50 on board credit a bit insulting since they just cancelled your entire cruise and it will probably cost you more than $300 to change flights. Overall, it seems you lose and NCL didn't care a bit. Il

None of the airlines I fly accept reservations 14 months in advance.

I had not only this cruise canceled but also the cruise out of San Francisco to Miami. I am disappointed yes. But it is what it is. At least we were informed about the changes now.

I am still waiting to book a replacement cruise for one of the cruises and will when it opens for booking.

Same here. Whenever you schedule any cruise more than a year out you got to be ready for possible changes, has nothing to do with customer service.

Above all, why call us valued guests, and write that they are looking forward to assisting us, when this is clearly not the case???

You are a valued guest. You agreed to a cruise contract when you booked your cruise. And you got offered more than the cruise line owed you (which is nothing). Every cruise line changes plans and itineraries all the time. Unfortunately it did not work out for you.

I failed to read the part about appalling customer service. The letter clearly stated what was available to you. When you called in they did not tell you something different did they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you say...

"alternatively, why could they not have kept the schedule and deployed a different ship"?

In other words, you are saying "what they are doing to ME is horrible. But it would be okay if rgey did it to someone else instead of me?"

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think NCL figures that people will see that they are offering up to $300 in airline fees and people will say "what a nice gesture," even though it does not affect them, or in this case anybody. Even though as you said a lot of airlines don't release airfares that far out a lot of people won't realize that and figure (incorrectly) that some one is getting a good deal. Perception is everything and NCL is trying to dazzle with BS. I have a feeling the $300 is a standard NCL boilerplate offering on airfare as I know my parents had a cruise cancelled and they were offered $300 and I think I have read a few others here get the same offer for cancelled cruises.

I can see that you, OP, are very upset about this change to the Sun's schedule, however, there are many other's, including myself, who've also been impacted by this change.

It's over a year out... surely you know that this type of thing happens in the cruise ship world, right? Things change and schedules get rethought and ships get redeployed to best suit what's needed at the time.

I was booked on the Sun,... love the Sun, for the cruise from San Fran to Miami. Talk about ticking off some boxes on my bucket list... San Francisco and Panama Canal and on the Sun... so cool. But it was cancelled as well and so... plan B. Now booked on the Jade from Southampton to Miami and visiting Shetland Islands and Iceland and Portland ME. Yay.

Lesson to this is that we need to be a bit flexible to avoid feeling as disappointed and constrained as you are right now. I hope you find a solution to your dilemma.

Cheers

Were I in OP's shoes I would disappointed too. Alaska cruises are expensive and the Sun was the most economical option. To be told the cruise you budgeted for is no longer an option but you can pay more for a different one would frost my cookies too.

Hope you find something that will work. Bliss does look lovely.......

I think NCL figures that people will see that they are offering up to $300 in airline fees and people will say "what a nice gesture," even though it does not affect them, or in this case anybody. Even though as you said a lot of airlines don't release airfares that far out a lot of people won't realize that and figure (incorrectly) that some one is getting a good deal.

It's reimbursement up to $300 ... .you have to present the amount of the change fees you incurred, and NCL will reimburse you up to $300. Most airlines I have checked have change fees under that amount (but often at the $250 level). If you are flying Southwest and the change fee is $100, NCL gives you the $100 back. If you're flying United and it's $250, NCL reimburses you $250. If it's $350, NCL reimburses you for only $300.

There are other threads where people got the same offer for change fees. Its part of their policy.

To the OP: stuff happens. Take the refund, and see if you can snag a good deal for similar dates from NCL, HAL, Celebrity or Princess when the schedules are available. When we were price shopping our 2017 Alaskan cruise last year we found a killer deal on Celebrity for a balcony for $1,049 per person for a 7 day cruise. HAL was less than NCL on many itineraries too. You have options.

"Total Posts by DeeV66: 1"

Hello, and welcome to CruiseCritic. You'll fit right in, we get quite a few posts like yours:

1) Someone neglects to read or understand the terms and conditions that they agreed to, or doesn't understand how cruise bookings work.

2) Something happens that they then perceive as an injustice (The price drops, the line makes changes, etc...)

3) They come to CruiseCritic, go to the trouble of making an account, and post one angry and ill-informed diatribe.

4) They then disappear from CruiseCritic, probably never even bothering to read the helpful comments.

OP, if you are reading this... I feel for you, I really do. It happened to my in-laws and they reacted the same way as you did. Think of it this way: Usually, up to final payment date, you and your cruise line can cancel your cruise and get a full refund. If you made a work-scheduling error, you could cancel without owing the line anything. So it only seems fair that the cruise line gets to do the same.

The line owes you nothing except your money back. The fact that they are prepared to go to such extraordinary lengths to appease you is, in fact, an example of exemplary customer service.

Your story about the positive customer experience you had from your line (but didn't understand/enjoy) is, in fact, a recommendation for them.

Take the refund, put a deposit on another cruise/line, use the rest of the money for something more timely, and pay off the balance when the final payment date comes. Try and put this behind you, and please have a wonderful vacation.

"Total Posts by DeeV66: 1"

Hello, and welcome to CruiseCritic. You'll fit right in, we get quite a few posts like yours:

1) Someone neglects to read or understand the terms and conditions that they agreed to, or doesn't understand how cruise bookings work.

2) Something happens that they then perceive as an injustice (The price drops, the line makes changes, etc...)

3) They come to CruiseCritic, go to the trouble of making an account, and post one angry and ill-informed diatribe.

4) They then disappear from CruiseCritic, probably never even bothering to read the helpful comments.

OP, if you are reading this... I feel for you, I really do. It happened to my in-laws and they reacted the same way as you did. Think of it this way: Usually, up to final payment date, you and your cruise line can cancel your cruise and get a full refund. If you made a work-scheduling error, you could cancel without owing the line anything. So it only seems fair that the cruise line gets to do the same.

The line owes you nothing except your money back. The fact that they are prepared to go to such extraordinary lengths to appease you is, in fact, an example of exemplary customer service.

Your story about the positive customer experience you had from your line (but didn't understand/enjoy) is, in fact, a recommendation for them.

Take the refund, put a deposit on another cruise/line, use the rest of the money for something more timely, and pay off the balance when the final payment date comes. Try and put this behind you, and please have a wonderful vacation.

Perfectly said. It bears repeating several times.