Princess Perks vs Royal Caribbean

octoberdana

We are gold on Princess about to embark on our 2nd cruise. We always planned to just stick with Princess, however our best friends are huge Royal Caribbean fans and we are going on a cruise with them on that cruise line in February.

Hubby wants us to just stick with one cruise line so that we get perks faster, but I'm not sure it's really worth it with the kind of meaningless rewards Princess gives to Gold and Ruby.

Does anyone cruise both regularly that can give us a good idea of the differences in cost on board ship and the rewards programs?

We are gold on Princess about to embark on our 2nd cruise. We always planned to just stick with Princess, however our best friends are huge Royal Caribbean fans and we are going on a cruise with them on that cruise line in February.

Hubby wants us to just stick with one cruise line so that we get perks faster, but I'm not sure it's really worth it with the kind of meaningless rewards Princess gives to Gold and Ruby.

Does anyone cruise both regularly that can give us a good idea of the differences in cost on board ship and the rewards programs?

Most of the costs onboard are actually pretty similar. Royal Caribbean's alcoholic drinks are quite a bit more but some of their specialty restaurants can be less expensive than Princess, especially the ones that open for lunch. Sabor on the Freedom of the Seas was $15.00 for lunch and it was AMAZING!!!!

Here are the loyalty levels for each line:

https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/membershipBenefits.page

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cas/benefitsLoggedout.do

For us one the the perks we liked (before we became Elite) is the military OBC and stock holders OBC. These perks you can get now, even with two cruises. For a seven night cruise it would be a total of $200. When you complete 6 cruises you get free internet and up graded trip ins.

For us the perks are better on Princess We also are not fond of the RCCL ship that we have been on nor like their food. Princess is a better fit for us.

For us one the the perks we liked (before we became Elite) is the military OBC and stock holders OBC. These perks you can get now, even with two cruises. For a seven night cruise it would be a total of $200. When you complete 6 cruises you get free internet and up graded trip ins.

For us the perks are better on Princess We also are not fond of the RCCL ship that we have been on nor like their food. Princess is a better fit for us.

We used to really like RCL, until they made the policy of only 1 OBC allowed.

The huge advantage of Princess is that you can combine multiple OBCs.

We thought about the stocks but it would cost almost $700 we would have to do 7 cruises to break even. Not sure that makes sense for us right now.

It will cost you a whole lot more than $700 to buy 100 shares of CCL stock; with it selling somewhere around $66 to $67 a share at the moment. :eek:

We thought about the stocks but it would cost almost $700 we would have to do 7 cruises to break even. Not sure that makes sense for us right now.

It will cost you a whole lot more than $700 to buy 100 shares of CCL stock; with it selling somewhere around $66 to $67 a share at the moment. :eek:

Yes true $7000 to get $100 OBC. Not cost effective for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can easily compare the loyalty programs yourself, both lines loyalty programs and perks are laid out in detail at their website.

We like different parts of each lines perks. We're Diamond plus on RCI and Elite on Princess. We like the "free" drink happy hour along with three free drinks on seapass on RCI vs the Platinum, Elite Suite lounge on Princess where drinks now cost $6.50 - it must of a discount from their list price, and far more expensive than free like RCI! Lol. We like the free laundry and professional ckeaning in prices vs a free bag or two on RCI. Qe love the afternoon tea on Princess, RCI doesn't ha e anything like it. We like the free photo in RCI vs nothing like that on Princess. We like the bar set up on Princess vs the small in cabin gift from RCI (bottles of water or small branded RCI item) And so on.. We're not big fans of the major push towards Suite Class in RCI with lounges being closed to everyone unless you're in a suite, and so on - and are bummed to see Princess moving the same way..

Costs onboard are similar in some ways and different in others. Gratuities are higher in RCI. Including drink gratuities. And drinks are much more expensive also..drink packages are relatively comparable, except RCI is moving back towards everyone in cabin having to buy the package f too much sharing. Much wider selection of specialty dining on RCI, and price ranges to match.. Lots of activities onboard RCI including slides, zip line, ice skating, bumper cars, excellent shows, and so on..Lots more ways to spend money too - prohibition party, mystery dinners, escape rooms and so on. Much more active family friendly and kid friendly activities.

We enjoy both lines a lot foe different reasons, and we add Celebrity in there also... None of the perks are enough to keep us loyal to any particular line - they're nice, but we book on itinerary, price and what wete looking for during that particular trip, ie more active, more laid back, bells and whistles, etc. I can't imagine cruising just for the perks. They're not that great on any line!! Lol..

We cruise on several different lines ... no better way to find what you like the best. Even with that, it is not really worth sticking with one line with the same food choices, same entertainment options, same cabin and ship decor, etc. We like to mix it up a little bit to keep it fresh.

I will say that nobody seems to maintain their ships better than RCCL ... even their older ships are just gorgeous. But, there are things I like much better on Princess and even more things to like on Celebrity.

I would definitely encourage you try something different ... just for the variety of it. I doubt if you will be disappointed.

you do not say how old you are, I ask this because one of the biggest perks on Princess is atmosphere on board... we cruised RCCL when we were in our 40 years ago when ships were smaller... then Princess and RCCL ships were more similar. Today... I see RCCL more geared to families and a younger party crowd. We have been cruising for 30 years... we have cruised well over 60 cruises and 9 different lines... so it is fun to try other lines and figure out what you like and don't like. We have cruised the most on Princess 24 cruises, next Celebrity but even X has changed a lot, not my favorite presently, Holland American and Cunard... we prefer a more traditional cruise experience... so Princess, HAL and Cunard fit that more than other lines for us. I personally feel Princess perks are the best once you get to the elite level... we have been at this level for awhile. Can't speak to RCCL perks, when we cruised them they did really have much, hopefully someone else can speak to that for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are talking stock in Carnival Corp, it is currently nearly $7,000 for the needed 100 shares.

I am not sure what you mean by having to do 7 cruises to break even. We have received OBC well over what we paid for the stock, plus the stock has gone up substantially. We paid about $2600 for it in 2009. With dividends reinvested, it is worth over $8,000. We have gotten and additional $6,000 in OBC.

If you are talking stock in Carnival Corp, it is currently nearly $7,000 for the needed 100 shares.

I am not sure what you mean by having to do 7 cruises to break even. We have received OBC well over what we paid for the stock, plus the stock has gone up substantially. We paid about $2600 for it in 2009. With dividends reinvested, it is worth over $8,000. We have gotten and additional $6,000 in OBC.

My math was wrong we would have to take over 70 cruises to get our investment back.

I believe that (without breaking "the rules") you could purchase the CCL stock two weeks prior to your cruise, obtain the OBC then sell the stock the day you cruise. My thinking is that you are supposed to own the stock at the time of cruising. Not withstanding price changes you could be out almost zero $ (a few nickels in Sec fees)with a zero fee stock brokerage. - In the USA.

Good morning,

Do the math. If you have an extra 6 to 7,000 in the bank at <1% interest and leave it long term and cruise at least 2 or 3 times a year it might be a good investment. CCL is now paying 40 cents dividend 4x per year (that alone is $160,) It is not a high risk stock and seems to be holding and increasing in value. We got it at about $35 and hope soon to double that. We have cruised at least 3 to 5 times a year and got at least 6% interest With OBC. (a 14 day cruise has paid $250) Try getting that in a bank!

If you are/were military They thank you for your service (as do I) with more OBC.

Bottom line good deal for some not so for others.

God bless and happy cruising,

John

Cruising the line you enjoy and the itineraries you find interesting. Princess Captain's Circle Benefits are detailed on their web site. You can look at them and determine which are the most important for you. Most people enjoy the internet mins. starting with their 6th cruise after sailing 50 days. The most talked about Elite benefit is free laundry service, but their are others.

Princess benefits available to all are the OBC's for shareholder's, military, travel agent, promo, future cruise deposits, loyalty. These are all stackable. You don't have to choose one or the other. Princess alcoholic beverage prices are lower then R.C. and the gratuity for drinks is 15% vs. 18%. Princess' All Inclusive Beverage Package includes the gratuity. On R.C. you are charged 18% for every drink even when you have the beverage package. Princess permits you to carry on 1 x 750ml bottle of wine/pp of drinking age without charge, and as many additional bottles as you like for a $15/bottle corkage fee. They also allow you to carry on as much non-alcoholic beverage as you wish. Don't really know R.C.'s policy on this.

Interesting absence of discussion about destinations and ports/countries on this thread. We cruise for where the ship is going. Favorite line being Azamara which is destination intensive. Just back from a Cuba run on Empress. Heading to the Adriatic and Sicily on Azamara Quest in October. A spouse birthday group get together on Oasis then southern Caribbean 14 days on Eclipse which we will also board for a western-side South America cruise in 2019. Earlier this year Hurtigruten Fram for Antartica expedition with 12 landings. Two Royal-class for a transatlantic and Australia. Last year China cruise-tour with Uniworld. In 2019 have Edge booked and a trans-Pacific on Azamara Quest. Destinations!

CCL also pays a dividend - not sure what it is currently

They just announced a $40 dividend.

We purchased shares a year ago and have been very happy with the way they have been performing, the OBC for three cruises which has totalled around 10% of what we paid to purchase the shares, and the dividends.

AS stock investments go CCL has been good w/o the OBC. With the OBC it great.

Pay your dues you'll get more benefits before you know it. FWIW it not free internet at 6 cruises but a generous amount that is determined by the cruise length, it also each.

Enjoy the crusing...

framer

I say go with your friends and find out for yourselves whether you like Royal Caribbean. You don't have that much invested with Princess. We're Princess fans, but I will book other cruise lines if I get a bargain on an itinerary we want to do. My brother and his wife are Royal Caribbean fans, but they've also sailed on Carnival and had a good time. A lot depends on attitude. Don't be like one of our tablemates on our first cruise (Norwegian), who complained every night at dinner about what was missing on that ship compared to another cruise line.

They just announced a $40 dividend.

We purchased shares a year ago and have been very happy with the way they have been performing, the OBC for three cruises which has totalled around 10% of what we paid to purchase the shares, and the dividends.

The dividend is $0.40/quarter/share or $1.60/year/share.

Based on a stock price of around $68 that equals 2.4% return.

If you have 100 shares and take one cruise a year with $100 OBC the return increases.

The dividend is $0.40/quarter/share or $1.60/year/share.

Based on a stock price of around $68 that equals 2.4% return.

If you have 100 shares and take one cruise a year with $100 OBC the return increases.

Since Princess is my line of choice for the foreseeable future, I'm looking to buy my stock probably after I retire next year. I just checked CCL stock and it is currently at 67.43 per share. I think it might be a good fit for us as I'm hoping to cruise with them at least twice a year after next year's retirement.....:):):)

Bob

IMO ,

RCI does have the Balcony Discount which is pretty nice but the OBC combinability restrictions,

make me prefer Princess .

Princess with the combinability of OBC's ( Shareholder , Military on most all cruises) along with Promo OBC, TA OBC, Group Amenity OBC and the Elite Level reasonably obtainable , gets my nod.

I don't care for RCI's floating amusement park ships , but do like the Radiance Class ships.

Other than that , the onboard perks seem about equal to me.

Royal Caribbean charges for room service ($7.95) except for continental breakfast or suites...all other meals/cabin categories pay the fee.

RC also has some non-refundable deposits...can't remember the exact parameters...but something like booking a suite when on-board then changing or cancelling it results in loss of deposit.

I have a RC cruise upcoming and know I'll miss my laundry benefits as well as the coin operated laundry. Will also miss having access to iron & ironing board to touch up a few items. Already miss the military and shareholder OBC.

Another difference is the ability to pre-book almost everything: specialty dining, excursions, packages, behind-the-scene ship tour, etc. You can almost set up everything (or so it seems) on RC vs. some things on Princess require you to wait until on board the ship. DH and I would prefer, in some cases, to be able to wait to schedule some of these things as you never know until the actual time of the cruise if you think you'll want to do something (i.e. RC has a brunch/bottomless champagne galley tour that sounds like fun and we have the OBC to cover it but it falls on a sea day in the Gulf of Mexico at the height of hurricane season and I can get motion sick...so I won't know what the weather is likely to be until about the evening before!! LOL So I'm certainly not going to book in advance and will just have to take the chance that it's still an option on about day 6)

Before any flames on why I'm taking the RC cruise as it sounds like I'm dissing the line: we're going with family who didn't want the additional expenses of flying and all of us are able to drive to Galveston. We are looking forward to the RC cruise even with the Princess things we'll miss. It will be fun to try something new and certainly nice to be able to pack as much as we want without those baggage fees!!