Disappointment in Princess

deliver42

We used a Travel Agent last cruise. We were supposed to get OBC of $75 per person. Got onboard the ship and the credit wasn't there... called our TA and he said it would show up. It never did. After we got home, we called and he had just up and quit and the company had no record that we were supposed to get $150. We never got it. This experience completely soured me on ever using a Travel Agent, I booked my next cruise directly with Princess. I called to ask about a cabin change and they said if I move within cabin categories I can keep my pricing, if I want to move up or down I have to go with whatever promos/pricing are now valid.

Pam,

Truer words have not been spoken!! No consistency at all.

Tony

I have found Princess customer service is pretty consistent when it comes to making changes. They are very willing to make changes to ANY offering that is available on the day the change is being made. They will not allow changes to an offering that has expired or no longer available, even if you originally booked under that offering.

That is what the OP appears to be running into here. He wants to upgrade and keep the terms of an offering that is no longer available.

With that said one can sometimes get them to make exceptions. However, when they do make exceptions it is exactly that an exception, that they do not have to make under policy.

We used a Travel Agent last cruise. We were supposed to get OBC of $75 per person. Got onboard the ship and the credit wasn't there... called our TA and he said it would show up. It never did. After we got home, we called and he had just up and quit and the company had no record that we were supposed to get $150. We never got it. This experience completely soured me on ever using a Travel Agent, I booked my next cruise directly with Princess. I called to ask about a cabin change and they said if I move within cabin categories I can keep my pricing, if I want to move up or down I have to go with whatever promos/pricing are now valid.
Your example shows how important it is to get things in writing. A reputable travel agency should honor the promises of its agent even after he's gone. I've booked cruises through several different agencies and enjoy getting a better price than I can get booking directly with Princess.

That's your opinion, I didn't care for this behemoth ship with long lines and no seats in the theater at night. I wouldn't sail on her again.

Now you have opened a new hornets nest....the size (and seating) in the main theater. And its just not a Regal/Royal issue. but an issue on other Princess ships. They do not make their main theaters large enough..which causes issues. The first time we were on the Regal (Dec 2015) the folks who dined early were furious because there were not enough seats in the theater. The CD heard so many complaints he quickly added a 3rd show for the remaining production shows (it was a 10 day cruise). Since we dine late and do the show for late diners, we never had a problem.

Hank

Some times lines do some crazy things... years ago, we had a HAL booked, the fare went down on the cabin we book, but HAL had a free transfer included in new bookings... we asked our TA if she could get us the Free Transfer, we did not ask for the lower fare. TA could not get the transfer, it was in the port of Rome.. so of some value. So what did we do, we cancelled and rebooked, got the lower fare and the transfer... now was that a good business decision for HAl? Sometimes it does not make sense.

This week I checked fare on a Princess cruise, fare went down, figured even if I gave up my obc of $500 I would be ahead asking for the lower fare, saved $800. w/lower fare...gave up the $500 obc, instead got $100 on board credit... still $800 ahead.

I'm a novice on this site and have been learning a lot about the cruising world while waiting for my Princess cruise in December. I hope I am not out of place here, maybe someone can direct me to the right thread for this question but here goes... I agree with and understand the many opinions on prepaid gratuities for the staff we don't "see" but who do a lot of work for us. So when a Cruise line offers free gratuities promos, isn't that kind of wrong, shouldn't they just discount the cruise by the same amount? Am I missing something here, does the Cruise line "pay" the gratuities for you or do the behind the scenes staff get stiffed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a novice on this site and have been learning a lot about the cruising world while waiting for my Princess cruise in December. I hope I am not out of place here, maybe someone can direct me to the right thread for this question but here goes... I agree with and understand the many opinions on prepaid gratuities for the staff we don't "see" but who do a lot of work for us. So when a Cruise line offers free gratuities promos, isn't that kind of wrong, shouldn't they just discount the cruise by the same amount? Am I missing something here, does the Cruise line "pay" the gratuities for you or do the behind the scenes staff get stiffed?

That is what the cruise lines (not just Princess) used to do, reduce the fare and let you decide what to do with the savings.

The problem for the cruise lines is that people were slow to book cruises while always waiting for a better price.

So now Princess (and others) keeps the basic fare about the same and instead has promotions such as free gratuities, free beverage package, etc. The effective cost of the cruise is lower, but they have maintained what they call "price integrity."

In effect they are convincing their customers to book early because as ships fill up the prices will go up, not down. This plan is working as both CCL Corp and Royal Caribbean Corp report that bookings for their various cruise lines are ahead of last year's rate and at higher pricing.

And, yes, if the amenity is free gratuities Princess does actually pay the gratuities for you and the staff in the tip pool does not get "stiffed." They do this instead of having a sale at a lower price that would not include the gratuities.

Interestingly, about a year ago I had booked an oceanview cabin during a promo that offered OBC. The amount of OBC for an OV was $150 per person, or $300 for a solo passenger, which is how I was traveling.

Since I was cruising to celebrate a big number birthday, I decided to treat myself to a balcony cabin. It was past the expiration date for the promo, so I fully expected to lose the OBC. However, the Princess agent asked me if I want to pay what would have been the fare had I booked the balcony during the promo and keep the OBC, or if I wanted the current lower fare (without promo OBC) available at the time of the category change. I opted to pay the extra and expected to keep the original $300 OBC, but wound up getting $600 in OBC instead, because of the higher cabin category, and that amount actually offset over half of the additional fare for the balcony cabin.

So calling Princess for something like this can go either way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carbil has done an excellent job of answering your questions. Here's a bit more.

You would understand these promotions better if instead of thinking of them as 'free', think of them as "included". Nothing is "free' on a cruise ship. You are paying for it regardless. Most marketing people will tell you the best way to sell a product is to make the customer think he's getting something for 'free'. The cruise lines will tell you it's 'free' but they've 'included' it in the price.

Carbil has done an excellent job of answering your questions. Here's a bit more.

You would understand these promotions better if instead of thinking of them as 'free', think of them as "included". Nothing is "free' on a cruise ship. You are paying for it regardless. Most marketing people will tell you the best way to sell a product is to make the customer think he's getting something for 'free'. The cruise lines will tell you it's 'free' but they've 'included' it in the price.

What he said. The OP originally booked using a fare that included the gratuities. Although he has used the word "upgrade", what he really wants to do is cancel the original booking and book again in a higher stateroom category with a fare that does not include gratuities but he thinks he should still be entitled to the included gratuities.

Consider this comparison: a local store has something available as a BOGO at its regular price (so essentially 50% off). A week later, they drop the BOGO and cut the price 30%. Does anyone really think it would be reasonable to return something purchased with the BOGO promotion and say I want it repriced at the 30% off price and I still want the BOGO?

When I compare cruise prices, I reduce the fare by my perceived value of the included promotions (which may be less than what Princess thinks they're worth - for instance, $500 OBC is not worth $500 to me if to use it, I have to spend it on things I wouldn't otherwise buy. I was recently thrilled to give up $300 OBC to get a $300 fare reduction since to me, that was a significant reduction since the $300 OBC (on top of the other OBC we had) was not worth close to $300).

Sometimes Princess should be a little bit more flexible.

I booked an inside cabin once with OBC. The category above me which was something like $5 more, was full. I booked the category below it. A week later (all prices remained the same), the category above it was open. I tried to switch and would lose the OBC.

If the prices hadn't dropped - I don't see why the OBC couldn't switch (upgrade, not cancel) cabins and keep the promo. I know Princess doesn't allow this but maybe some flexibility would make some passengers less angry.

You probably booked under a promotion where free gratuities only applied to certain cabin grades. You cannot take the free gratuities with you when you decide to pay for an upgrade to a cabin grade that did not have them included in the original promotion. You should wait before deciding you will never sail with them again if you have not been with them before. You might be surprised.

Exactly. We were booked in a mid-ship D deck suite on Island the year before last and was surprised that I did not get an OBC promotion offer that was clearly advertised.

When I investigated, I discovered that it was only the S6 suites that got the promotion but I was offered the opportunity to move to a lower grade suite saving around $700 plus getting the OBC promotion.

I mentioned this to SWMBO and the result was that it was explained to me why we were not moving. Quite simply she didn't want to move, so I didn't get the promotion.

As someone else said: A happy wife.....

Not sure why the OP thinks he/she is being flamed. Seems to me people are just explaining why things are the way they are.

To the OP I would say that, when I couldn't get the OBC promotion on Island, not for one moment did I ever consider saying I would never cruise on Princess again. Clearly YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We thought about changing to a higher balcony cabin. But our original purchase came with a free beverage package. The package is worth more to us so we are going to stay with our original room, enjoy the drinks and the cruise.

Sometimes Princess should be a little bit more flexible.

I booked an inside cabin once with OBC. The category above me which was something like $5 more, was full. I booked the category below it. A week later (all prices remained the same), the category above it was open. I tried to switch and would lose the OBC.

If the prices hadn't dropped - I don't see why the OBC couldn't switch (upgrade, not cancel) cabins and keep the promo. I know Princess doesn't allow this but maybe some flexibility would make some passengers less angry.

Because when you make a change, you can only select from offerings that are available on the day you want to switch. You cannot keep the offering you booked under, if it is no longer being offered on the day you make the switch.

Because when you make a change, you can only select from offerings that are available on the day you want to switch. You cannot keep the offering you booked under, if it is no longer being offered on the day you make the switch.

Believe me - I get it I. just think they can be more flexible.

They had an opportunity to gain a repeat passenger in the OP. In the end, they won't.

Somewhere along the way, Princess became a different cruise line than years ago. I prefer that Princess.

Well about a week ago I wanted to change my booking because the fare had dropped. When I called Princess was excellent and my OBC also increased because that was THE DEAL OFFERED ON THE DAY I called.

If the deal you want isn't offered that's hardly Princess' fault and if you really don't want to deal with them then cancel the booking now and go with another line. I've had two bad staff members on cruises and that was a language thing. The majority of their staff are excellent.

I wonder in cases like this how many passengers would rebook into the higher grade and then simply remove the gratuities once on board? It is after all totally within the rules, just as Princess being inflexible is within the rules.

Unfortunate for the crew of course who would never know why it happened.

I wonder in cases like this how many passengers would rebook into the higher grade and then simply remove the gratuities once on board? It is after all totally within the rules, just as Princess being inflexible is within the rules.

Unfortunate for the crew of course who would never know why it happened.

Princess following the rules is not a justification for stiffing the crew.

Believe me - I get it I. just think they can be more flexible.

They had an opportunity to gain a repeat passenger in the OP. In the end, they won't.

Somewhere along the way, Princess became a different cruise line than years ago. I prefer that Princess.

Ok lets say that they become more flexible where on that slippery slope do they draw the line in such a way that they don't alienate potential customers. Do they continue to honor some changes on past sales but not others? Do they allow large upgrades by not small ones? Try explaining to someone that there is no hard and fast rule, but someone else got an upgrade and got to keep some benefits from an earlier offer but that they don't qualify. Better from a customer service point of view to be able to explain the straightforward policy. Which is pretty consistent across the mainstream cruise lines.

That flexibility that you want has the potential to create even more problems by creating confusion than the policy that they have now. That you can only book offers that exist on the day you want to book them. When an offer expires it expires.

Of course these days the mind set that rules do not apply to me and I should be an exception is getting pretty common.

Princess following the rules is not a justification for stiffing the crew.

But it is within the Princess rules........................... thought that is what was being discussed not a moral standpoint of what is justifiable.