Formal wear in tropical climates

Kruzin Karen

My husband and I are doing the Ruby Princess 28 day cruise to Hawaii, Tahiti and Samoa. It will be hot and humid, my husband and I are both carrying some extra weight, and I am prone to the dreaded hot flashes of late. The idea of putting on a full suit for my husband, and the "covered up" formal wear I have is repugnant in 90 degree weather with 90% humidity. What is the minimum "formal wear" people use in Hawaii and the Caribbean? Alternatively, will they do as the Grand Princess did and have the Beef Wellington available in the buffet? I don't want to miss three or four formal nights!!

There are many postings on this subject. I would, respectfully, request you use the search function and search formal night to see the many answers and make your own decision on what to wear. It will make very interesting reading for you.

I did use the search, using hot, tropical, tropics, formal , and some others and got 0 matches. I'm Platinum with Princess, so I know the rules. I simply never sail anywhere hot, so I don't know what others do. Who wears a tux in Hawaii? You can go to any restaurant in the Islands in nice shorts and a polo shirt.

The search function is currently broken. It won't do you any good. However, Formal Night activities are indoors and air conditioned. On a Panama Canal crossing we had tropical weather the entire cruise. No problems with the formal wear as, like I said, you are inside and it is air conditioned. There is no need to wander around outside while "all gussied up" if you don't want to do so. If you decide to go up and watch MUTS on a formal night then you should probably be changing your clothing first anyway.

Formal nights are the same no matter what the itinerary. We leave for the 28 day Hawaii and South Pacific cruise on Emerald Princess October 8. I am not huge bur I am also not a "lightweight" guy and definitely perspire in the tropics. We don't foresee any issues with formal wear.

My husband and I are doing the Ruby Princess 28 day cruise to Hawaii, Tahiti and Samoa. It will be hot and humid, my husband and I are both carrying some extra weight, and I am prone to the dreaded hot flashes of late. The idea of putting on a full suit for my husband, and the "covered up" formal wear I have is repugnant in 90 degree weather with 90% humidity. What is the minimum "formal wear" people use in Hawaii and the Caribbean? Alternatively, will they do as the Grand Princess did and have the Beef Wellington available in the buffet? I don't want to miss three or four formal nights!!

When I did this cruise most people were dressed according to the Princess guidelines. Most men were in jacket and tie, most women were in nice light weight dress or outfits. Not too many in tux and gowns. It is air conditioned on the ship. Menu items will vary according to the head chef. If you are asking if your husband can enter the DR without jacket & tie the answer is probably yes, but he will be one of the few. Why not just bring a light weight sport jacket which can be worn with shirt and tie or sport shirt.

We are leaving on the same cruise this Oct 8. I'm also wondering .

See my post #4 above. It wasn't a problem with the SF - FLL trip through the canal and it was very hot and humid. You will be fine. See you onboard! :)

I did use the search, using hot, tropical, tropics, formal , and some others and got 0 matches. I'm Platinum with Princess, so I know the rules. I simply never sail anywhere hot, so I don't know what others do. Who wears a tux in Hawaii? You can go to any restaurant in the Islands in nice shorts and a polo shirt.

Not sure what this has to do with being on a Princess cruise lines air conditioned ship on formal night?

You state you are Platinum. I am sure you have seen whats worn on formal nights on your prior Princess cruises.

The search on CC is currently not working. No wonder you got zero results.

As for your comment on attire in Hawaii: You can do that in my hometown as well. It gets quite hot here in the summer - we had about 8-9 weeks over 100 F here this summer and many of those days were in the 106 - 111 degree range. It has cooled off nicely now and most days aren't over 98 degrees. Shorts, Birkenstocks, Tommy Bahama... Good to go at the best place in town.

That isn't the same as on a Princess ship. Not the same at all.

I've taken many "tropical" cruises, including my 19-day round-trip to the Panama Canal out of LA last November. Dress was the the same as just about every other cruise: all gentlemen in suits or tuxes; women dressed up. The nights I didn't feel like dressing up, I went to the buffet or specialty restaurant. People were nicely dressed even in the buffet.

The ship is nicely air-conditioned and even chilly in the dining room and theater. The outside temperature and humidity have little effect unless you're outdoors.

We have done the Tahiti cruise and many other hot weather cruises. We noticed lately that the majority don't wear tuxes or formal gowns.

Black pants and a nice top is usually fine for women. My husband no longer brings a suit or rents a tux but wears a nice jacket and tie for formal nights. As others pointed out the ship is usually coo.

Thank you to those that were helpful. Colo Cruiser, why bother to post if you have nothing to contribute? I, personally, find the theaters and dining rooms often WAY too hot for me, and have to leave mid meal or mid performance. We all have different comfort levels.

No need to be nasty.

I can't give you the answer you are looking for.

Sometimes when you ask a question here on CC you get answers you don't like.

Thank you to those that were helpful. Colo Cruiser, why bother to post if you have nothing to contribute? I, personally, find the theaters and dining rooms often WAY too hot for me, and have to leave mid meal or mid performance. We all have different comfort levels.

After a day lying out in the sun, I, too, can feel warm in the public rooms, even though I know the a/c is blasting. And sometimes they might not be warm but maybe can be a little stuffy. So, I feel ya. Sleeveless is my #1 rule. I've lately acquired a totally open-weave black silk cardy -- kind of looks like a spider's web, more open than there is material -- to slip on if I feel like bare arms are too "bare." Also, natural fibers are your friend. Avoid polyester!!

"Formal wear" doesn't have to be velvet, long-sleeved or hot....anything long and sparkly (for women) is fine. Doesn't even have to be sparkly....or long! Sleeveless...backless..whatever you like. Long, short...doesn't matter! The "dress codes" are suggestions...not laws...wear what you want.I have several lightweight long gowns....sleeveless usually...not any hotter than a sundress, but definitely NOT a sundress! You will find something to suit you...but don't worry too much about it. You will see a bit of EVERYTHING on formal nights!

As you can see you will not get one consistent answer that is right or even wrong. Again ask the Head Waiter on the first night and follow his guidelines. Ignore all those on here as half will be right and most will be wrong. Have a great cruise which should be clearer after the first day.

I've taken many "tropical" cruises, including my 19-day round-trip to the Panama Canal out of LA last November. Dress was the the same as just about every other cruise: all gentlemen in suits or tuxes; women dressed up. The nights I didn't feel like dressing up, I went to the buffet or specialty restaurant. People were nicely dressed even in the buffet.

The ship is nicely air-conditioned and even chilly in the dining room and theater. The outside temperature and humidity have little effect unless you're outdoors.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The ship IS air conditioned

I second this, ships are always air conditioned... therefore formal wear is comfortable to wear no matter where you are... that is if you want to dress formally. We always do.

Ref the op's question, the answer is dress standards are the same, what you can get away with anywhere else will apply.

"Formal wear" on Princess at a minimum is dress shirt and dockers for men and a inexpensive pants suit for women. If you chose you may increase to what ever level you feel free including tux for men and formal gowns for women. Princess may or may not have what is served in the MDR available in the HC however it has been my experience that they will not. Aside from the cc fashion police, the dress code on Princess has been decreasing. Formal wear for me for the last several years has been a short sleeved guayabera shirt (aka wedding shirt) and khaki dockers with athletic shoes or sandals. My suggestion is to dress for the weather and have dinner in the MDR.

I always have found the MDR to be on the cool side and often have to bring a shawl until I'm warm enough to drape it on the back of my chair. So if I'm wearing something sleeveless like a cocktail dress, that's what I do. Hubby might put his jacket on the back of his chair if he's finding it warm enough on formal nights. On other nights, he's wearing a tropical shirt.

We've done three Hawaii cruises and I've seen plenty of tuxes on formal night.

If you go for a stroll on the deck after dinner, then you may want to change or at least let hubby take his jacket back to your cabin before hand if it's warm outside.

The ship will be air conditioned...and some say it is even too cold!