Wine Gripe

XBGuy

Maybe I should have entitled this "Wine Whine," but that would have been way too Pastisish.

I have commented often on this board that I think the various wine lists on Princess are pretty good. They offer a reasonable selection and the pricing, especially, for the more expensive selections, is pretty good.

Over the years, however--and I have been a Princess cruiser for only 6 years--I have seen some deterioration. The mid-price selections (between $40 and $100) are definitely declining in quality, and the higher end wines are becoming more expensive. On the other hand, it is what it is. I know I can bring my own wine onboard, and, normally, I would bring lots. My latest cruise, however, involved an airline flight and I just did not want to deal with checking a case of wine on the airline and, then, carrying it on to the ship.

However, pricing and selection are not my gripe. I could not believe how many wines on the list were not available.

On embarcation day, I called the DINE line made two reservations for my wife and me: one at Sabatini's for that evening and the second for Crown Grill the next evening.

At the appointed hour we arrived at Sabatini's and were seated. We reviewed the menus and strategized our meal. Generally, I am a red wine drinker, and, generally, my wife is a white wine drinker. We often order two bottles with dinner. She gets to drink what she wants, and I get to drink what I want. Unfinished bottles can go back to the cabin with us, or we can have the restaurant store them for a subsequent visit.

Sabatini's is, of course, an Italian restaurant. So, in keeping with the spirit, we looked at the Italian wines. My wife ordered a Gavi and I ordered a Barolo. Off the server scurried to retrieve our wines. A few minutes later she's back. There is no more Gavi in the inventory. Well, that is pretty disappointing. My wife reviews the list again and requests Donnafugata Anthilia--a fairly inexpensive Sicilian wine. Off goes the server, and, success. She has the Donnafugata. However, she has bad news on the Barolo. It is also no longer in the inventory. In fact she made a point of stating that there was not a single bottle on the entire ship.

Well, now I'm more than disappointed. I looked at the wine list, again, and looked at the reds. I could have gone for the Luce della Vita. That's a good wine, I've had it before, but, doggonit, I really wanted a more "traditional" Italian wine--and the Chianti on the list did not appeal to me. So, I restrategized my meal and told the server, to bring me a white wine glass and I would enjoy the Donnafugata.

OK. The next night we go to Crown Grill. That afternoon I had purchased one of those three-bottle wine packages that Princess sells just outside the buffet. So, I brought the Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon from that package to have with my beef--whatever I ordered. When we sat down and looked at the menu we noticed that they had some special offerings for the Alaska itinerary--including an appetizer of oysters on the half-shell. Say no more, we are definitely ordering that. My wife decided that she was going to order the Mussel Pot for her entree. She asked what I thought would be a good white wine. I told her that I think Sauvignon Blanc is great with shellfish, and, if possible, one from Loire Valley.

Great, they have Sancerre. So, she ordered a bottle of the Sancerre. Off goes the server. Here he comes back--empty-handed. Sadly, they are out of Sancerre. Well, that's OK, because they also have a Pouilly-Fume on the list. Pouilly-Fume is right across the river from Sancerre, and, in fact, it is, probably, a better match for the oysters. So, off goes the server, and here he comes back--again, empty handed. They're out of Pouilly-Fume.

This is starting to get comical, but get a load of what happens next.

While we were waiting for the server's return from the Pouilly-Fume search we were strategizing what to do if he came back empty-handed. My wife noticed that they had the Gavi on the Crown Grill list--the same one that they did not have at Sabatini's the previous evening. I thought it was ridiculous, but when he came back empty-handed the second time, she asked for the Gavi.

During this wait we were chuckling at each other, but, whadda-you-know, he came back with a bottle of Gavi. The waiter made a point of stating that this was the very last bottle of Gavi on the entire ship.

In two nights, though, we were told that they did not have any more of four wines that we selected off their wine lists.

Fast forward a few days. We are back to Crown Grill for our third visit. I'm ready to splurge tonight. My wife orders a California Chardonnay. (Not surprisingly, there are no more oysters.) She is having the mussel pot, again. I order the Robert Mondavi Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon. When he hears that order, the server gives me a heads up, "I'll have to see if we have any of that."

Off he goes. Here he comes back. "There is one bottle of that wine on the ship. It's in the Botticelli Dining Room. So, I'll go over there and get it."

Off he goes, again, and here he comes back. Success, he has the last bottle of the Robert Mondavi Reserve CS. When he shows me the label, I am thrilled to see the vintage year--2013. Excellent.

Well, that was, easily, the best wine I had on that cruise.

Later though, I was thinking. In our first visit to Sabatini's the server told us that they were out of the Gavi, and they were out of the Barolo. Recall, she also mentioned that there was not a single bottle of the Barolo anywhere on the ship. She did not add that when she reported that about the Gavi. Was she too lazy to walk from Sabatini's on the after side of Deck 7 to Crown Grill on the forward side of Deck 7 to snag the bottle that they had? The Crown Grill server was happy to walk from the Crown Grill on the forward side of Deck 7 to the Botticelli Dining Room way back at the after side of Deck 6 to pick up that Mondavi CS for me. I'm glad he did. Yes, he did get a good tip.

This is just a rant. I know that this definitely falls into the category of "First-World problems." Also, since we will be driving to the port on our next cruise in November, I know that I will be dragging in a case of my own wine.

Nice rant! Well written and not really a rant at all. I enjoyed reading it.

Like you, I'd be disappointed with the inconsistencies of the staff's behavior as well as the lack of inventory. I hope you sent that to Princess as well. They need to do a better job of supplying their ships. It really isn't that hard to get last minute supplies shipped to upcoming ports.

I think I have read before that stocks run low towards end of season and then in fall they stock up again for the new season? But I can see how it is frustrating.

And I totally agree with you that the lower to mid priced wines have become largely boring and of lower price/quality value while Princess takes a good mark-up. Save for 1 or 2 bottles on board you are far better off to buy the same wines at Total Wine or similar retailer and pay the corkage fee. And the sad thing is they could find better value wines in the similar price range if they made some more effort. Oh well.

I certainly understand your frustration. I think your "rant" was well written and very expressive. I would not consider it a rant but more of a valid concern regarding wine lists and their availability :)

Hoping our next cruise isn't so affected by low inventory. I would be disappointed to go through the process of picking wines 4 times (or more) only to be told they are out.

We had noticed when we had gotten the silver wine package on several cruises that it would take sometimes several attempts before they had something that was available. Mind you this was day 1 of the cruise sometimes.

You would think they would be able to print up a couple hundred wine lists for wines they DO have on board versus having to always play the 20 questions to weed out all of the stuff on the menu that they DONT have.

We've had a similar experience on one of our TA cruises. I feel your pain. :(

I would just love to meet the person that thought it was a good idea to offer the Rex Goliath Moscato for $28.00. It can be purchased at any grocery store in California for $3.99 a bottle. It's hard to decide which is more offensive, the taste or the price.;p

We had noticed when we had gotten the silver wine package on several cruises that it would take sometimes several attempts before they had something that was available. Mind you this was day 1 of the cruise sometimes.

You would think they would be able to print up a couple hundred wine lists for wines they DO have on board versus having to always play the 20 questions to weed out all of the stuff on the menu that they DONT have.

Yep, I would agree that in these days one ought to be able to assess exactly what is available. Inventory is something that should be one's fingers. If The Home Depot clerk can assess how many hinges are in inventory, I would expect the Hotel management on a ship to put that very technology into the hands of their wait staff.

Good Post...

When I see valuable and legitimate posts like this that really point out a Princess weakness I can't but wondering if maybe posting this exact post on the Princess FB page might not at least grab the attention of someone at Princess, and make them aware of drip by drip down hill direction onboard their ships

Btw.. XBGuy, it was definitely not a rant or whine

Not a rant at all, and we’ve had the same situation several times. I am not the oenophile you appear to be and always found something else on the menu that satisfies but that does not excuse the issue.

If The Home Depot clerk can assess how many hinges are in inventory, I would expect the Hotel management on a ship to put that very technology into the hands of their wait staff.

Ah, but actually finding those hinges in The Home Depot store is a very different thing.

As someone who sold wine wholesale to restaurants and hotels in Palm Beach for many years, I gave up buying wine on board after my very first cruise....too much trouble. If driving, I bring it with me. If flying I pick some up near the port. Total Wine in Ft. Lauderdale has an excellent selection in all price ranges.

I would just love to meet the person that thought it was a good idea to offer the Rex Goliath Moscato for $28.00. It can be purchased at any grocery store in California for $3.99 a bottle. It's hard to decide which is more offensive, the taste or the price.;p

Your example illustrates my point of them buying more and more plonk and tacking on a huge markup. I noticed this in Nov 2015 - almost two years ago - on Regal and the list doesn't appear to have changed much. But I guess they don't want to sell $15 wine for $30.

It's not just Princess that plays this game. I wish restaurants would come up with a flat markup and apply to all bottles. Instead, many like to have a minimum, but then double up the price if that is greater than the minimum mark-up. I don't see any reason for excessive mark-ups unless a place is storing cellar wines for long periods. But that's the way it has been.

What mostly annoyed me 2 years ago is that Princess was offering a lot of ordinary crap and they could have done better with some imagination and better pricing. Like a couple of "house wines" and then buy some decent VALUE wines at reasonable prices and add on a reasonable markup. And then have some high-end stuff.

Anyway, it is why I try to bring my own on. Sigh.

As someone who sold wine wholesale to restaurants and hotels in Palm Beach for many years, I gave up buying wine on board after my very first cruise....too much trouble. If driving, I bring it with me. If flying I pick some up near the port. Total Wine in Ft. Lauderdale has an excellent selection in all price ranges.

(y)(y)(y)

On the inventory thing, if finding the supply short, maybe the answer is to order your expected supply the first night at dinner and then just bring each bottle back to the DR as needed. Or they will keep for you. Theh at least you know you have some you want and will last most of the week or 10 days or whatever.

LOL!! I agree!!

I think their wine selection is pathetic. I drink Chardonnay and in the dining room the selections are Clois du Bois and Robert Mondavi, both very mediocre table wines that I can buy at the grocery store any day of the week for $7.00. Of course I understand they will mark it up, but I wish they would give us wine drinkers some serious choices, especially since I am willing to pay more for a decent brand.

We had a similar experience when Share opened. They had a special wine list - yea, not. We ordered one bottle, came back , sorry not in stock, second bottle same story, third bottle, after half hour, we were given the main dining room wine menu. They wonder why Share isn't working, maybe put in a little effort.

I've two friends that have beverage managers for country clubs. Both report that it is very difficult to maintain an above average wine list. They say most customers will decide on the type of wine, say a cab, and then they examine the wine list and order the least expensive cab on the list. Very difficult to charge more than the price of a cocktail for a glass of wine. We pretty much always take a bottle to the club and pay corkage.

That was no rant XBGuy & good to learn about your experiences & ability to adjust without having it ruin your cruise. ;)

Thankfully on our cruises being out of stock has rarely occurred but it appears to be happening more often now. On our transatlantic cruise's roll call someone currently sailing on the Royal in the Med advised us of a wine inventory shortage. About 25% of the wine list was out of stock and wouldn't be replenished for nearly 2 months until the ship returned to the US. The F&B manager said a delayed shipping container was the problem; someone else was told by a F&B manager on another Princess ship that the cause was most likely a lack of placing a timely order.

We usually get a Silver wine package but if wines around the $45 maximum are unavailable then would consider the lower priced Gold package. Although with 25% of the wine list unavailable 6 weeks before our sailing we may have very few choices of wine.

I understand that supplying ships around the world can be challenging but it's also mismanagement to not restock their profitable wine inventory.

...We usually get a Silver wine package but if wines around the $45 maximum are unavailable then would consider the lower priced Gold package. Although with 25% of the wine list unavailable 6 weeks before our sailing we may have very few choices of wine...
Frank, I think you got your gold and silver mixed around. We typically bring our own wine onboard but have purchased a Silver package several times. Never had a wine out of stock on those cruises, even when we ordered a half dozen bottles of one of our favorites throughout the cruise. The only time we have had a bottle of wine out of stock was in January of 2014 which was just after the last significant change to the Princess wine list. The Sterling Steakhouse wine list still had bottles from the old wine list and that stock had run out. Unless there has been a recent change, except for some price increases, the wine list has been essentially unchanged for almost four years.

I don't discount what others have posted so beware as YMMV [emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by IECalCruiser

I think their wine selection is pathetic. I drink Chardonnay and in the dining room the selections are Clois du Bois and Robert Mondavi, both very mediocre table wines that I can buy at the grocery store any day of the week for $7.00. Of course I understand they will mark it up, but I wish they would give us wine drinkers some serious choices, especially since I am willing to pay more for a decent brand.

Agree

I've two friends that have beverage managers for country clubs. Both report that it is very difficult to maintain an above average wine list. They say most customers will decide on the type of wine, say a cab, and then they examine the wine list and order the least expensive cab on the list. Very difficult to charge more than the price of a cocktail for a glass of wine. We pretty much always take a bottle to the club and pay corkage.

I wish that was more common here in Ontario. It is allowed now but we are so draconian that restaurants had to obtain a license amendment and many won't bother. Those that did started off with reasonable corkage fees and now it's like $25 if lucky and probably $30, so they are really jut trying to discourage it. Not saying I expect $15 like Princess, but $30 is pushing it too far unless I want to bring an expensive one from my stash. But I don't want to spend $100 for a good bottle of wine out. I wan to find a good value wine at a fair price.

I wish that was more common here in Ontario. It is allowed now but we are so draconian that restaurants had to obtain a license amendment and many won't bother. Those that did started off with reasonable corkage fees and now it's like $25 if lucky and probably $30, so they are really jut trying to discourage it. Not saying I expect $15 like Princess, but $30 is pushing it too far unless I want to bring an expensive one from my stash. But I don't want to spend $100 for a good bottle of wine out. I wan to find a good value wine at a fair price.

Of course, ours is a private club, it charges $15 for corkage.