Onboard Marina now. Observations from a newbie.

ToxM

Notwithstanding the grumbling by some here, I’m sure O is extremely happy to have those two groups aboard to help fill the ship.

Also believe O is quite happy to have a lot of younger first timers aboard as they both collectively start looking to the future. Having 50% of the cruisers 80+ and three quarters 70+, as on my O cruise this summer, is not the future for O. The overall increase in the energy level on this cruise has been noticeable. No one has been “rowdy”, well mannered cruisers, just a lot younger than normally seen.

Kate - I am definitely with you on this one.

It is unacceptable behavior on the part of one passenger towards a fellow passenger.

If this is disrupting the tours than the ships destination staff have to deal with it. It is their job, not the passengers.

Helpful thread, particularly regarding the 2 groups on the Marina.

I never thought of Oceania as engaging in group bookings to the same degree as the mass lines - so now I will be on my guard and check extensively before and during my next booking.

Not interested in having any group(s) aboard my ship where they change the fundamental character/services/product of the cruise from what I paid for. I pay for a specific product offering as advertised by the supplier and I require that product offering, period.

There are numerous active threads on the boards of the Celebrity, Princess regarding the negative impacts of group bookings.

I enjoy Oceania for the sedate and classy ambiance, not interested in acquiring a mass cruise line experience.

Nor to me. Sounds like the cruise from hell

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not seen any disagreeable behaviour. Just good natured people having a good time without causing imposition to fellow passengers. It’s been a wonderful cruise. I can’t really comment regarding the demographic mix. Maybe this just means we have to take another trip just to compare!

I never thought of Oceania as engaging in group bookings to the same degree as the mass lines - so now I will be on my guard and check extensively before and during my next booking.

Not interested in having any group(s) aboard my ship where they change the fundamental character/services/product of the cruise from what I paid for. I pay for a specific product offering as advertised by the supplier and I require that product offering, period.

There are numerous active threads on the boards of the Celebrity, Princess regarding the negative impacts of group bookings.

I enjoy Oceania for the sedate and classy ambiance, not interested in acquiring a mass cruise line experience.

All cruise lines, including luxury lines have group bookings at some point during the year. We had a Jazz group last year on the Riviera, and while they were 250+

In number, we never knew they were onboard, except one night when they had a performance in the lounge before our nightly entertainment. Also, that same cruise was another group, smaller in number, but again, we didn’t notice them except for their private cocktail parties. That said, next spring, the US University that I attended, will be on the Regent Explorer for 14 Days, and we have over 300 signed up for that already. Crystal Cruise Line also has group bookings from a Food group that we belong to next year, and it looks like it may be larger also. So googling ship and dates on all cruise lines may show you extra bookings, so you can avoid them.

It’s not groups per se. the nature and size of the group matter. A food and wine group of 50 or so passengers is a good fit for oceania and probably would have no negative impact on the cruise experience. Sounds like the groups on this cruise had an impact.

Notwithstanding the grumbling by some here, I’m sure O is extremely happy to have those two groups aboard to help fill the ship.

Also believe O is quite happy to have a lot of younger first timers aboard as they both collectively start looking to the future. Having 50% of the cruisers 80+ and three quarters 70+, as on my O cruise this summer, is not the future for O. The overall increase in the energy level on this cruise has been noticeable. No one has been “rowdy”, well mannered cruisers, just a lot younger than normally seen.

Oceania has the right “to be extremely happy” but so do I for my money.

My experiences with larger groups on board have not been very good. It hasn’t ruined my cruise but I would have preferred not to have them onboard and will avoid such cruises whenevever possible.

I suppose that the experience is different for those that are part of those groups.

As always, YMMV :)

I’m with you Paul. I want to be happy. Large groups on board are not conducive to my happiness. If I want to cruise with younger first timers who party until the wee hours I have other options

Our last cruise this summer on Marina , a Back to Back had a large number of people from different Universities. Not really a problem but I definitely did not like the University stickers people affixed to their cabin doors. It cheapen the whole experience. This is not a dorm folks.

Please don't let groups onboard affect which cruises you book. The Marina cruise that was described in this thread is the exception. IMO, alumni groups get an undeserved bad reputation. I was part of an alumni cruise last year on Regatta. It was probably half the ship. All of the alumni groups were mature, respectful of others, highly educated and well-traveled. In the 16 days of the cruise, I neither saw nor heard of anyone disrupting fellow passengers. There was no party atmosphere as some may be worried about. Horizons at 10:30 pm was quiet and almost empty. More staff than passengers. There was much more interest in the history and culture lectures than partying in Horizons.

I have been on mass market cruise lines and Oceania is a far different experience. Even if there are large groups onboard, you can still count on a sedate and classy ambience on Oceania.

A couple of personal observations.

1. Why in the world would bitbob find people dancing up in Horizons, far from him, disconcerting? Why should he care? What a grump! It offends him to know other people are not sedate at 9:00 and having a good time!?

2. The true jerks are not those on the tour that got in the face of their fellow cruisers. The true jerks are those that repeatedly sign up for tours they are not able adequately complete while expecting the others on the tour to constantly facilitate them. Claiming those that either won’t read or don’t care about the stated physical requirements ( most are the latter) on a cruise are well mannered is absolute bull manure. They are the scum bags , not those that get in their face for being scum bags! I don’t do O tours anymore because O refuses to address the issue, even when put directly into their face! Since O has introduced O Life with the tours as part of the O Package and O experience, O owns the tours, just like the restaurants and other facilities. Allowing cruisers to be disruptive on tours becomes the same as allowing cruisers to be disruptive in a Specialties. It’s now part of the overall O experience. O’s refusal to take action against those signing up for tours beyond their ability and disrupting the tour tour is the same as allowing a passenger to be loud, drunk, and obnoxious in a Restaurant. It all becomes part of the O experience, IMO.

3. Go Next has had Groups on most every O cruise I’ve been on (probably 75%). For those demanding their absence, the number of cruises available to them will be highly limited.

4. It’s been a great cruise, enjoyed by most everyone.

A couple of personal observations.

1. Why in the world would bitbob find people dancing up in Horizons, far from him, disconcerting? Why should he care? What a grump! It offends him to know other people are not sedate at 9:00 and having a good time!?

2. The true jerks are not those on the tour that got in the face of their fellow cruisers. The true jerks are those that repeatedly sign up for tours they are not able adequately complete while expecting the others on the tour to constantly facilitate them. Claiming those that either won’t read or don’t care about the stated physical requirements ( most are the latter) on a cruise are well mannered is absolute bull manure. They are the scum bags , not those that get in their face for being scum bags! I don’t do O tours anymore because O refuses to address the issue, even when put directly into their face! Since O has introduced O Life with the tours as part of the O Package and O experience, O owns the tours, just like the restaurants and other facilities. Allowing cruisers to be disruptive on tours becomes the same as allowing cruisers to be disruptive in a Specialties. It’s now part of the overall O experience. O’s refusal to take action against those signing up for tours beyond their ability and disrupting the tour tour is the same as allowing a passenger to be loud, drunk, and obnoxious in a Restaurant. It all becomes part of the O experience, IMO.

3. Go Next has had Groups on most every O cruise I’ve been on (probably 75%). For those demanding their absence, the number of cruises available to them will be highly limited.

4. It’s been a great cruise, enjoyed by most everyone.

You are just filled with hate and contempt. Shines through in most of your posts. I feel sorry for you

There’s been a chap I have seen in a couple of the speciality restaurants wearing a large 10 gallon cowboy hat and a leather waistcoat. Whilst unusual I would guess that’s not the norm for an Oceania cruise. I don’t think he is part of a group. It’s certainly not ruined my cruise, but if he’s part of a group, been dancing in Horizons and holding up tour groups then I will make a note to be offended.

This has been a lovely cruise, with kind intelligent passengers who are having fun. If they have been dancing in Horizons good for them. This isn’t a location in the movie Footloose. Horizons has a dance floor. I presumed when I saw it that it was designed for use.

I got blisters from walking on port days. I have been wearing comfortable non dressy canvas shoes in the evening with my country club casual. I do not think anyone has been offended.

:cool:

There’s been a chap I have seen in a couple of the speciality restaurants wearing a large 10 gallon cowboy hat and a leather waistcoat. Whilst unusual I would guess that’s not the norm for an Oceania cruise. I don’t think he is part of a group. It’s certainly not ruined my cruise, but if he’s part of a group, been dancing in Horizons and holding up tour groups then I will make a note to be offended.

This has been a lovely cruise, with kind intelligent passengers who are having fun. If they have been dancing in Horizons good for them. This isn’t a location in the movie Footloose. Horizons has a dance floor. I presumed when I saw it that it was designed for use.

I got blisters from walking on port days. I have been wearing comfortable non dressy canvas shoes in the evening with my country club casual. I do not think anyone has been offended.

Almost every cruise I've been on there are always some standouts. Whether it's elderly women with multi colored hair(pink, purple, blue, yellow) or men dressed really strange, or the guy that wears headphones to dinner. I think I've seen the cowboy you mentioned, or a similar one. He had a different fancy western outfit every day.

There’s been a chap I have seen in a couple of the speciality restaurants wearing a large 10 gallon cowboy hat and a leather waistcoat.

Hope he was not wearing the hat at dinner

Yes you will some sights on Oceania cruises but the majority of pax are very friendly

I have seen the cowboy hats & boots during the day but not at dinner

i’m with you paul. I want to be happy. Large groups on board are not conducive to my happiness. If i want to cruise with younger first timers who party until the wee hours i have other options

sent from my iphone using forums

+ 100%

Hope he was not wearing the hat at dinner

He was wearing the hat in Jacques and I saw him again last night in Toscana. Upon mentioning it to a fellow passenger, they remarked he had worn it to a show in the Marina Lounge as well.

He was wearing the hat in Jacques and I saw him again last night in Toscana. Upon mentioning it to a fellow passenger, they remarked he had worn it to a show in the Marina Lounge as well.

That is just rude