Problem when traveling single with a cabin mate:

cr8tiv1

I understand its annoying, but its basically a matter of the way some systems are set up.

The way the database is is you have a listing for each passenger but there is also an autogenerated 'cabin salutation' created with the booking. Communications are basically done with mail merge, so if they select the 'cabin name' you get Mr and Mrs, etc. It's actually a pain to change because its reset when the accounting system updates (that system has needed redisgn for a while, but honestly it works functionally except in edge cases like this so its not a priority). Marriott has a similar problem, our frequent traveler number is in wife's name so every time I book for a business trip I am Mrs. AAA BBBBB on many items and emails even though the res says Mr.

If Guest services is on the ball they will take care of it regularly but lets face it, they are not. This may be one thing you just have to live with...

There's also a cultural element at play. I actually hate being referred to by Mr. so I ask the steward to please call me by my first name, for some, that is a real challenge. A lot of the Dr/Mrs Dr/Mr Mr/Mrs salutations especially in terms of face to face are a little hardwired into some cultures when dealing with a hospitality guest.

Next time I am booking Princess, I will specify my salutation as "Admiral" or "Commodore." I will either get stink-eye from ship crew or captain will ask "Admiral, would you like to drive the ship?"

I'll wager that the crew would not be able to care less what your salutation will specify.

Tom

I'll wager that the crew would not be able to care less what your salutation will specify.

Tom

Oh, I am sure. Or they will think "Great, another assclown" or something. I bet they have more important things to worry about.

i find they call my gf "miss first name" sometimes and i guess thats a cultural thing.

It's a very common practice in some countries and definitely in the south in the USA. Most younger people as a sign of respect actually call older acquaintances Mr "insert first name" or Ms "insert first name"...I affectionately answer to Mr Bob quite often!!

That is offensive in so many ways. First of all you ordered a Queen and were set up for a single. They assumed you were two males because one of the passengers was a Dr. and the other is a Mr. They automaticity assumed your sexual preference as heterosexual and arranged the beds as singles. So accordingly to Princess the women’s place is still in the Home barefoot and pregnant and homosexuality is still in the closet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can only assume you have never sailed with Matt O'Brien. When we sailed with him he was still an assistant CD and I told him he really should be promoted as he was sooooooooo good at his job and obviously loved what he does. He has recently been promoted to CD. If Princess in "anti gay" then they are blind and crazy. Matt is definitely one of the best and makes no bones about being gay.

I also noticed that, on our recent Emerald Princess cruise, the bar manager for Wheelhouse, Crooner's, and Explorer's is a woman. One of the deputy Cruise Directors (Amy) on that cruise was just promoted to Cruise Director. It really doesn't seem to me that Princess discriminates against women.

That is offensive in so many ways. First of all you ordered a Queen and were set up for a single.

The request for bed configuration on the Cruise Personalizer is completely ignored as there is an approximately 50% chance it will be correct. Even if not correct, many people won't complain and the steward doesn't have to do anything. Those who do request the correct configuration receive an apology - the steward says s/he didn't receive the info. - and can then change the beds after the turnaround day rush is over.

That is offensive in so many ways. First of all you ordered a Queen and were set up for a single. They assumed you were two males because one of the passengers was a Dr. and the other is a Mr. They automatically assumed your sexual preference as heterosexual and arranged the beds as singles. So accordingly to Princess the women’s place is still in the Home barefoot and pregnant and homosexuality is still in the closet.

Oh, good grief.....another example of "political correctness" run amok. People need to stop being so ultra-sensitive and let anything & everything cause "offense." Life's too short.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the OP's topic......my friend and I have traveled together for 30 years; consistently for 10. We are good friends, not lovers or partners. We have sailed 8 times on Princess cruises and have NEVER had any issues with names. All correspondence has been in our own names. On one cruise our beds were together (even though we ask for twins in the Personalizer), but all we had to do was ask the steward to separate them; no big deal. We often get just one Patters, but after asking for 2 we have always gotten them. Nothing bothers us on a cruise - we feel blessed just to be able to travel, especially on cruises and usually in full suites. :halo:

I am chiming back in to add clarification to my OP. The following was correct or corrected:

2 patters

Twin Beds

Name on the door

Steward understood we were traveling independently but together

I am not trying to be over Politically Correct. I am not trying to blow this out of proportion (I love cruising and have done many with Princess). I am pro-gay/rainbow/non-discrminitory or how ever you want to define today's culture.

What upset me (in my humble opinion) is the lack of paying attention to detail by Princess. If it only happened once, then I would consider it a fluke. But it has happened on numerous voyages so there is something that needs to be adjusted with Princess' system.

I only asked for other's experiences. I don't need a lecture about being overly sensitive/overly stressed/overly whatever.

My cruise was not "ruined" by this issue. The front desk staff was very polite as I also try to be. I do not come off demanding. I respect everyone who tried to help me out.

The issue was never resolved by the end of the 10 days. That means that someone behind house wasn't concerned enough to "fix" the problem.

I expect it will continue to happen in future cruises. I am not "leaving" Princess over this. I am just bringing attention to a need. And yes, I did fill out the post survey and Princess will receive a detailed review via email for the other problems I encountered on cruise.

We don't have this problem personally (we go by our first names and no nickname required). Princess should be able to add to customer profiles a PREFERRED NAME field in addition to the LEGAL NAME field used for registration and security purposes. The Preferred Name is what should appear on all cruise correspondence, on door tags, what the steward is told, what he DR staff is told, etc.

Problem solved. But one post suggested an ancient software system. But I do agree, that Princess should be more on the ball, especially with friends, same-sex partners, married and unmarried with same/diff last names, etc.

We don't have this problem personally (we go by our first names and no nickname required). Princess should be able to add to customer profiles a PREFERRED NAME field in addition to the LEGAL NAME field used for registration and security purposes. The Preferred Name is what should appear on all cruise correspondence, on door tags, what the steward is told, what he DR staff is told, etc.

Problem solved. But one post suggested an ancient software system. But I do agree, that Princess should be more on the ball, especially with friends, same-sex partners, married and unmarried with same/diff last names, etc.

That part I totally agree with.

I have a first name that has a shortened version, only two people on earth use the full version other than when I’m in the .....

But trying to get the crew to use the short version... I’ve almost given up, but still flinch inside every time.

I don't recall having any problem for my first two cruises (before we were married) with our names. Considering that there are many friends who travel together and obviously have different last names, you would think the cruise lines wouldn't mess up.

After we got married, I noticed that my primary alumni association had changed the mailing label on my alum magazine to: Mr. and Mrs. (hubby's first name) (our last name).

I wrote to them and pointed out that I do not call myself by my hubby's first name and I would appreciate my alma mater calling me by my proper name. I added that hubby attended that college for only one quarter before transferring to another. My graduate alma mater didn't do this -- just merely switched my maiden last name to my new last name.

BTW, I was the one who wrote our wedding invitations and used my mother's and my MIL's first names.

We have traveled for years, we are a couple with two different last names. The only issue I have had, is some years ago, it seems they kept track of my husbands cruises accurately, but did not track mine as accurately, partly because they got recorded as MS, Mrs, etc. It took me several efforts with two different captain circles hosts to get it corrected... never became an issue until they start to count cruises and days cruised. My husband and I always cruised together but the record did not reflect that until I got it corrected. Being called MR or Mrs by the other partners name never bothered us, when it happened.

Now there is what should be a relatively easy, simple solution to the problem/situation! Good thinking there! Someone needs to write to someone (Princess Customer Service perhaps??) with this suggestion and a link to the message thread. It should not be very hard to add a single item to each person's personal information that would show "Preferred Name: __________" in the Cruise Personalizer! Fill it in if it applies, leave it blank if it doesn't!

Well done Steelers36!

Tom

I cruised for the first time ever last year, as part of a women's social group and those traveling alone were partnered up to share cabins - so I was partnered up with a woman I'd never met before (luckily she was lovely! :D)

We had the same thing - despite having different surnames (and even being in different states), we were assumed to be a couple, and if I recall correctly I ended up being Mrs <her surname> since her surname was before mine in the alphabet. We were given separate beds though - that would have been amusing when we first met and saw we'd be sharing a bed lol

That didn't really bother me to be thought of as being a couple (and in some ways I suppose it's nice that they clearly have no issues if we had been a couple), but I did feel a bit like I was the tacked on person, since I then didn't get mentioned by my name...

But what made it annoying was the process of disembarkation. I can't recall exactly how it went, but I remember there was an issue. I'm fairly local, so I wanted to get off early. She was from Interstate so she had bus transfers and that was arranged for a later disembarkation as she was in no rush. Because they assumed we were a couple, and I presume because she was first alphabetically - even though we'd filled out separate details and specified our separate arrangements, they still had me disembarking with her. Even after I went down to the desk and filled out my paperwork and mentioned that we were not traveling together, they still sent me luggage tags with the later time matching hers, so I had to go down again and get it sorted out because by then I'd already made arrangements on when to be picked up based on the earlier time.

I know they were busy - but they clearly weren't happy to have to go organise different tags for me. It did make me feel like I was being an inconvenience to them by being annoying (as to not be traveling with my wife :P). But their assumption overruled my paperwork - twice! It would have been nice if they had apologised for the assumption and making me have to go to the desk twice to get it sorted out.... or at least not been cranky about it :(

Oh well nobody died. Myself and partner are in a suite on our next cruise. They can call me whatever the hell they damn well like as long as I’m in that suite. :D:o

But you ARE a couple in a suite. No problems there. "We" received stationary in our suite that was printed Ms and Ms Sally Smith. Neither of us could use the stationary. I know...I know...such a small incident. But when multiplied by a series of other incidents, then it became an annoyance.

I guess I am just attached to my name and am too old to change it. I like who I am and worked pretty darn hard to be an independent individual. Is it really asking for that much to be recognized by my name? Yes, the ship turns around every x number of days. I wasn't on a three day junket. They had 10 days to make me feel like a Princess. (I'm joking on this one).

BTW....thanks for those of you who have contributed to my original request. I appreciate knowing what has happened to others...good/bad.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

have to add something here too since we talked about names outside the door. when i was researching princess for the 1st time,i discovered this fact and thought it was stupid and even intrusive. i'm a privacy freak and my tin foil hat is always in my belt ready to go (unlisted number, no FB page with my real name etc. however i have to admit when i got on board i let the sign up even though you can easily take it down. i have no explanation for this behavior. i guess i have a problem :)

Princess should be able to add to customer profiles a PREFERRED NAME field in addition to the LEGAL NAME field used for registration and security purposes. The Preferred Name is what should appear on all cruise correspondence, on door tags, what the steward is told, what he DR staff is told, etc.

Now there is what should be a relatively easy, simple solution to the problem/situation! Good thinking there! ... Well done Steelers36!

Agreed!

Princess needs to get this right. Ensuring you have a guest’s name correct is Hospitality 101. If Ms. Jones is traveling with Ms. Smith, absolutely no reason Ms. Jones should be referred to as Ms. or Mrs. Smith by staff or Ms. and Ms. Smith on stationary or otherwise. OP and Naidisbo (Post #41) have valid concerns. Poor business practice by Princess.

Just returned from a 10 day cruise on the Caribbean Princess in a suite. Princess seems to have difficulties separating passengers in the same cabin by name. I know this is not only a suite problem because I have cruised in other staterooms categories too and had the same issues.[quote]

Mrs. Pablo has a different last name than I do. From time to time, there are mix ups.

I never thought much about it, nor would have thought to post about it on cruise critic.

A more entertaining name change ---

I once went ashore in st. thomas, and when I returned, there was a call from the captain's circle host.

SOme passengers had had to disembark, and I was now the third most travelled. They would

send me champaign, etc.

They sent a letter to my cabin.

Envelope: Mr. <correct name>

Letter: Mr. and Mrs. <name of couple who left the ship>

I thought the congratulations was a little less heart felt.

I don't get why this is so incredibly offensive. It happens to lots of people. I cruise with my BF and we are not married/have different last names. We are almost always greeted as Mr. and Mrs. XXXXX in the lounges and dining rooms. Who cares. I can't even believe this would cause such an extreme reaction. I would just laugh it off.

Whoever said, damned if you do, damned if you don't is right. If you were a couple and they treated you as two single ladies, perhaps that would be offensive too. How can they know what is right?

EXACTLY. With SO many combinations today .... the chances of the cruise employees getting it correct is minimal ... to say the least! Lighten up! You're on vacation ON a CRUISE! :D

I too have cruised with others to save the solo supplement fee, usually with a sister in law or with a friend. We do have different last names, different addresses (not even in the same state), and different credit cards listed for payment to our on-board account. I understand when sometimes the names are "lumped together" and it's a minor issue and easily corrected. But something that has happened on every cruise, is the final account is folded together so we have to untape and unfold them, then separate out the two different accounts. I think the statements should be separate instead of lumped together--yes they are on separate pages, but they are folded and taped together. There is no need for the other party to know what we've each spent. We are not a couple, our finances are not joint, our on board accounts are not joined and there is no reason why the final account should be delivered all lumped together. While some short cruises there may only be one page each, on other longer cruises there may be 2-3 pages, so it's not just a quick "take the top page and pass it on". I'd prefer to keep my on-board expenditures to myself and my cabin mates' expenditures aren't any of my business either.

I think the statements should be separate instead of lumped together--yes they are on separate pages, but they are folded and taped together. There is no need for the other party to know what we've each spent. We are not a couple, our finances are not joint, our on board accounts are not joined and there is no reason why the final account should be delivered all lumped together. While some short cruises there may only be one page each, on other longer cruises there may be 2-3 pages, so it's not just a quick "take the top page and pass it on". I'd prefer to keep my on-board expenditures to myself and my cabin mates' expenditures aren't any of my business either.

Have you ever left comments saying that on the after-cruise survey that you get? If enough people did enough times, it might finally get through to someone. Certainly wouldn't hurt, that's for sure!

Tom