Have you ever regretted sailing another line?

atexsix

I've had a good time on every cruise, on every cruise line. Just some more than others. I have no regrets, though, as each one has been a learning experience, at the very least.

I learned what I like very much in a cruise, what I don't care about one way or the other, and what I don't like at all. Without some breadth of experience I wouldn't be able to select what's (probably) right or wrong for me by reading about it.

I suggest you have an honest evaluation of what are deal-breakers for you, and will this Princess (probably) give you what you want out of the cruise. Twenty-eight days is a long time if the cruise isn't your style.

I was very loyal to one cruise line until things started getting repetitive. From that point on, I made the decision to sail on as many cruise lines as possible and to never repeat the same cruise line two times in a row. To this day, it's one of the best cruise related decisions I've ever made.

There's always a bit of uneasiness when sailing on a different cruise line, specially if you've been loyal to one for many years. But in my opinion, it's a wonderful thing.

Every cruise line has its rabidly loyal past guests. It's not only you that feels lucky and snicker a bit when you look at cruise ships from other cruise lines. Chances are that there's more than one person on one of those "gargantuan Princess and RCL ships" doing the same when they see a Holland America ship docked next to them. I know that I felt like the king of the world every time we pulled into Port aboard the Allure of the Seas and most recently on the Disney Fantasy.

My recommendation is that you give other cruise lines a try. Worse case scenario is that you won't like it as much as HAL but the good news is that you can always go back to them or try yet some other cruise line. But best case scenario is that you'll enjoy it and you will have allowed yourself to broaden your horizons and to open up a whole new world of cruising. You won't know unless you try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Tapi

Have I ever regretted sailing another line? Yes! The line I've sailed most often after HAL. I keep hoping NCL will be better than previously -- and there are times when they have the best itinerary and dates - so I have gone back to them several times. Each time is something of a disappointment - making a next time even less likely.

While other lines might not appeal to me as much as HAL, I will always consider them - we are sailing Royal Caribbean for a second time this coming January - convenient embarkation port (Baltimore) is the big draw - not as convenient as Bayonne - but I draw the line at the monster of the seas sailing from there - NCL has a couple of ships sailing from Manhattan (most convenient port), but after our last NCL try I think I'd walk to Denver to look for a cruise before giving them another shot.

I agree with the other poster who said a 28-day cruise might not be the best way to "test the waters" on a new cruise line. Of course you may love it, but what if you don't? What if, on day 2, you realize it was a mistake and you should have stuck with HAL? That's a long time to be regretting a big financial and lifelong-memory-making decision.

And I'm not saying this as a HAL loyalist--I would give the same advice to a long-time Princess cruiser who was considering trying a 28-day HAL itinerary.

We have lots of days on HAL, but decided to mix it up a bit with a week cruise on the Harmony of the Seas and another week on the River Empress. Both were totally different than HAL and we enjoyed them, but we have 5 cruises booked on HAL. We simply like the itineraries plus we want to sail on the newest ship: the Nieuw Statendam. We’ll also be on the Maasdam and Volendam, both of which we’ve previously sailed on long cruises which we like.

I agree with the other poster who said a 28-day cruise might not be the best way to "test the waters" on a new cruise line. Of course you may love it, but what if you don't? What if, on day 2, you realize it was a mistake and you should have stuck with HAL? That's a long time to be regretting a big financial and lifelong-memory-making decision.

And I'm not saying this as a HAL loyalist--I would give the same advice to a long-time Princess cruiser who was considering trying a 28-day HAL itinerary.

Let alone a world cruise..I would love to go on a world cruise but right now the idea just doesn't float my boat(ha!)

We have done a lot of Hal. Also, we have cruised quite a few times with Cunard, Celebrity, Princess and RCL. All the lines do things a little differently and we have always had fun.

By going with other lines, we have realized just how wonderful the Indonesian and Filipino crew are.

Sandra

I agree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other than my stateroom attendant barging into my room at 7am on the last day to get a good rating (I was naked and did not give a good one at all), I’ve never been harassed for a rating. This was on celebrity. Haven’t done carnival yet but never experienced this on NCL or RCCL.

I would only try another line if you’re open to it. I’ve done celebrity, princess, HAL, NCL, and RCCL (and upcoming Cunard)— I have different expectations on each cruise, and therefore find a way to enjoy them all.

I have only talked about cruise lines that I have actually sailed on. And the few that I have posted about in this thread are not the only ones that I have cruised on.

So, yes, I am open to cruising on other lines and my posts are based upon over forty years of cruising and multiple cruise lines.

When I researched NCL I noticed that the NCL reviews peaked with their Jewel-class ships. I agree with you in that one must consider the actual ships as well as the cruise line. Likewise with HAL ships.

igraf

Well, I love Summit more than any NCL ship, but I and I am not alone much prefer Jewel class (Jewel, Gem, Perl, Jade and to some extent Dawn and Star) of NCL to Breakaway...

Completely different experiences which start from the way ships designed. Almost like two different companies.

I have never regretted sailing another line. I've only regretted sailing certain ships. Of 54 cruises, there are 2 ships I'll never set foot on again, both of which happen to be NCL. They are the Dawn and the Sky.

For the OP, I think Princess is a decent cruise line. They are much better than HAL in the field of entertainment. However, their ships do feel crowded, a little dated, and the standard size rooms are small and don't have a couch.

If you're looking to be impressed by another line, I recommend Celebrity. That mention of looking across the pier and being envious of another ship....that happened to me on Koningsdam when we docked next to Celebrity Equinox.

As an FYI to the others, RCCL is not a cruise line. RCCL is the parent corporation. The cruise line is RCI.

Lots of good advice and answers on this thread.

I think the key is knowing yourself. Are you the type of person who finds one thing and sticks with it because you feel comfortable and familiar with it? Or do you enjoy different perspectives and change?

I do not cruise with just one cruise line -- some lines do one thing well, others have different areas where they "sing" for me. But I also don't always stay in the same hotel in a given city or buy the same brand of car -- I like to mix it up.

I have never experienced bad service on any cruise line, and I've cruised many lines and ships. Only one line I'll never return to, and that is NCL.

Edited to add: I've also never been the type that stands at the rail of the ship and feels superior to those on another line. I'm the type that's thinking "Hmmm, wonder what it would be like to be on THEIR cruise?" :-)

Most of HAL's ships are smaller.

We were on the Sapphire Princess, 100 tons I think. Much bigger, but you get used to it.

The shock is going from something like the Rotterdam to Liberty of the Seas.

We really like the coffee card on the Princess line. HAL has discontinued scheduling the stitches, but I think Princess still does that.

Both lines allow substitution in the MDR.

Depends where your cabin is located. It's a long walk from the aft to midship.

All the princess ships have a laundr-e-mat. But ours washers next door were out of order for the whole cruise.

If it's a Hawaii cruise, pray you get Dave Cole as CD. He's marvelous.

Besides HAL, I have sailed on NCL, Celebrity, Carnival, Costa, and Princess. Being elite, Princess is my favorite due to the perks but I like HALs ambiance better. I will never sail with NCL again....done it twice and they were the worst of my 25+ cruises. I travel solo and usually pick my cruises depending on price and itinerary.

I hate to see posts where someone compares a very old ship based in a particular port because it still fits under a bridge in a small home port city and the bigger, newer, more modern ships of another line. Not everyone can drive or fly to Ft Lauderdale or Miami to catch a HAL or Princess ship. (Yes, I know both do sail from a very few other ports ) We've had excellent service on all the ships/lines we have sailed -HAL, RCCL, CCL, and Cunard.

We decide where we want to go then look for a ship that does the trick for us. We look first at itinerary, then prices for balconies. If we feel more laid back we go CCL for relaxed dress code, HAL for quieter conservativness, RCCL when DH was more up for using amenities.

I totally agree with those who said your expectations have a great deal to do with how you perceive a new cruise line. If you're paying $50 a night you can't expect a cabin on a caliber of a Neptune Suite :D and if you go CCL there IS going to be a Hairy Chest Contest (but you aren't required to attend :D )

HAl, Celebrity, Princess, Crystal, NCL. Carnival, and RCI so far.

Never regretted sailing on any one of them. They have all been good. But different. We tend to select the ships carefully.

We still have other cruise lines to try. That is what is so great about the industry. Lots of cruise lines, and many varying types of ships within each cruise line and between cruise lines. Competition makes them all better.

Everyone's experience can be different from one cruise to the next. Just because you didn't experience it doesn't mean it didn't happen to someone else nor that their experience should be discounted.

No one needs to wear HAL coloured glasses to experience it. I certainly saw it on a premium cruise line. And others who are afficionados may say they never saw it or experienced it but they weren't on our cruise ;).

Thank you, Kazu, It is always distaseful when one person implies others have to be wrong because they did not experience what the other person stated they encountered. Quite dis respectful ful, iMO.

Unless the 'nay sayer was seated at the same table andd/or had the sam dining steward , on the same cruise, or asked the same quettion at the pursers' desk from the same person.... how do they thhink they havve a way to know whaT someone else expeienced? It happens on forums too often. We learn who does it and form our own viewpoint when something else is denied as not be ing wo rthy of consideration.

Edited by sail7seas

I think that one can have a less than perfect cruise on any cruise line. They all seem to be very inconsistent. It is one of the reasons that we are not and would never be loyal to any one cruise line. Too many different choices out there to experience and enjoy.

I think that one can have a less than perfect cruise on any cruise line. They all seem to be very inconsistent. It is one of the reasons that we are not and would never be loyal to any one cruise line. Too many different choices out there to experience and enjoy.

This. So much. The one time I've been on another line,I kept an open mind and had a *great* time.

With the loyalists I think there is a mindset of "It's not HAL imma hate it,they don't have(insert name of amenity here)"

Basically, "Go HAL or stay home".

I do not understand the blind loyalty to a corporate entity to the point of defending every negative comment about the line.

We know several very loyal HAL loyalists who are very quick to point out that there are several 'duds' in the HAL fleet that they studiously avoid and when asked, advise others to do so. I suspect that it the same with loyalists on other lines as well. They get to know the sweet spots to focus on and the ones to avoid like the plaque.

It is the posters who seem to think that their cruise line, whatever it may be, is the be all and end all of cruising and the gold standard against which all other cruise lines are compared. It is a rather silly position to take given the ever changing state of the industry.

This. So much. The one time I've been on another line,I kept an open mind and had a *great* time.

With the loyalists I think there is a mindset of "It's not HAL imma hate it,they don't have(insert name of amenity here)"

I may be misinterpreting your post but it seems to me like you are trying to slide in a "slam" at people who sail HAL exclusively.

IMHO there's nothing wrong with a person choosing what they know they like, especially when it costs money ;)

So if one does not ha ve a 'great time' the only reason would be bec ause tthey are closed minded? :evilsmile: :D Sorr y but I cannot agree if that is what you are implying.

The cruise we're booked for is 28 days on the Emerald Princess and still refundable, it's during the school year so I'm inclined to think it will be a calmer crowd .....

You can count on that. How many folks do you know who can take a month off on a cruise ship?:cool: Sounds like a terrific cruise to me; I am envious. I can honestly say in 34 cruises on every major cruise line, I have only had one marginally poor cruise, and that was kismet - many, many sick passenger and crew. Not a fault of the cruise line or of the ship....it just happens sometimes. Princess is probably our favorite crew line....but tied with HAL, Celebrity....but then second place winners Carnival and NCL and RCI are not far behind! The differences in cruise ships IMO depends more on the length of the cruise, and the itinerary. The longer the cruise with the fewer port days, the "calmer" the passengers seem to be.