Heard a Rumor - Capt Kate switching to Equinox ???

PBC29

And did Captain Kate run her ship any better than Captain XX of the Anthem of the Seas. I am not asking who was better at PR but who ran the ship better.

This whole Captain Kate cult is totally sexist. We will all be better off when there are enough female, gay, black, etc captains that nobody cares.

DON

There are other female captains on cruise ships and I don't think people talk about them like they do with Captain Kate, so I think it's your comment that is sexist (and I won't say what the rest of your comment is). From my experience, Celebrity captains seem to be more personable and are visible on the ship, talking to passengers, etc. than other lines. Certainly with Kate and the Kafetzis brothers that is the case. Even Captain Leo, who was captain on Summit when we first met Captain Kate was much friendlier than the guy on Anthem. Did the ship run better with them than with the captain who you never see? Probably not,but what difference does that make, so long as it doesn't run any worse? And maybe when the crew sees how their captain treats passengers, it makes them want to act a little friendlier as well, taking a lead from the boss?

And did Captain Kate run her ship any better than Captain XX of the Anthem of the Seas. I am not asking who was better at PR but who ran the ship better.

This whole Captain Kate cult is totally sexist. We will all be better off when there are enough female, gay, black, etc captains that nobody cares.

DON

Never been on Anthem, couldn’t care less. But I spent much of my career studying/teaching leadership practices and yes the person in charge can make a difference. I’m just off the Summit. Captain Kate and Captain Leo are absolute tops in ability and not to denigrate other Captains I’ve sailed with but if I can find an itinerary that they are sailing, it will be my first choice. I am not a member of any cult, just someone who enjoys being on a well-run ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Speaking from personal experience, all of the Summit Captains from the past 4 years have been excellent. Captain Kafetzis, Captain, Leo, Captain Kate and Captain Alex. Now that both Captain Kate and Captain Alex have been reassigned, I wonder who Summit will get? They will definitely have a tough act(s) to follow.

Just my opinion and I have been on only 10 cruises but I would say Captain Kate is the most accessible passenger friendly we have had. It might be because she is american and a women both rare in the cruise industry. She does go the extra mile with passengers. Glad Celebrity is keeping her on s primarily US based ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am sure that whomever replaces them will be equally professional and will manage not to run the ship aground. That is all that matters to me. I know that many will disagree w me but this captain worship cult seems to me to be very silly. I and I am sure most of us couldn't even tell you who the captain was on our last cruise, much less our last previous cruises.

DON

That may be your opinion but people enjoy cruising for different reasons. I personally like getting to know the captains. Makes the experience just that much more fun.

But Captain Kate really did make an effort to relate to the passengers, be visible several times, and give interesting, informative updates. When we had the incident of rescuing the six souls at sea, she understood that guests would be curious, and kept us informed with timely yet respectful status. I was impressed, and usually am not by the captains. And saying goodbye to passengers individually as we debarked from the cruise .. that was a nice touch.

I agree. We had her say hello randomly three times randomly whilst onboard.

I did see her instagram video of the rescue though. Lets be honest it was very carefully edited. I wish she'd not had made an issue that she was a female captain. The whole thing would have been cooler if that had not been mentioned IMHO. Though I suspect Miami might have had a hand in that.

Regardless of my opinion of Captain McCue (or Captain Kate as she is known and calls herself), which is surely biased by a number of factors I think the captain can make a difference. I was lucky enough to have met a number of other officers on board on my recent cruise, some I knew from previous cruises and of course all the line staff along the way, as well as having dinner with the Staff Captain and a bridge officer, I can say they really like her and believe she is a genuine and caring person but also a tough cookie. I think the person at the top does make a difference in how the ship is run. She likes to have fun and genuinely loves what she does. It seems infectious. Was Summit perfect? Of course not but the crew was certainly happy and accommodation, and that makes a difference.

As just another point of reference, the Hotel Director and the HR Director, two other high level officers especially on the non marine side, who have a lot to do with crew moral are also women and do a very good job as well.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Just my opinion and I have been on only 10 cruises but I would say Captain Kate is the most accessible passenger friendly we have had. It might be because she is american and a women both rare in the cruise industry. She does go the extra mile with passengers. Glad Celebrity is keeping her on s primarily US based ship.

based on my past 2 sailings on the Summit, I can say that I saw her 1 time at the St Thomas port when we were getting off. Being that I have only sailed on the summit 2x(and Celebrity 2x) and had an inside cabin both times, the chances that I would see Captain Kate all about the ship were slim. I suspect most people see her if they are elite or have upgraded cabins/suites because it appears that she may talk to those cruisers more than an inside 2 timer. Also, to be quite frank, I didn't notice any difference on how the ship sailed having a female American captain. I had a female captain on the Jewel of the Seas last year and it wasn't much of a difference there. I suspect that most people here that film her or take selfies or stalk her do so because she is young and attractive (as evidenced by pictures I saw on internet) not because she is a female captain and the greatest captain in the fleet. I am on the summit in April on a b2b and the sex of my captain is not the least bit of a concern to me.

DON

Sorry you feel that way. I would be a member of the Captain Kate "cult" even if she were a man. Has nothing to do with the fact that she's a woman and everything to do with her personality and how she interacts with the customers. I'd never been on a bridge tour where the captain actually conducted the tour prior to sailing with her. I'm about to embark on my third cruise with her and Maja in less than a year. Maja was formerly the MC Concierge and is now the Suite Manager. I'm a member of her "cult" as well. Same thing. Fabulous personality and going above and beyond to render service. She has a male colleague, Bogdan. I'm also a member of his "cult."

Sorry you feel that way. I would be a member of the Captain Kate "cult" even if she were a man. Has nothing to do with the fact that she's a woman and everything to do with her personality and how she interacts with the customers. I'd never been on a bridge tour where the captain actually conducted the tour prior to sailing with her. I'm about to embark on my third cruise with her and Maja in less than a year. Maja was formerly the MC Concierge and is now the Suite Manager. I'm a member of her "cult" as well. Same thing. Fabulous personality and going above and beyond to render service. She has a male colleague, Bogdan. I'm also a member of his "cult."

HappyCruiser 6143 - I feel as if I should know you (but I don’t) as we both seem to belong to the same cults!! [emoji15]. I sailed Summit 5 times in 2017 largely due to the fact that I also belong to the Summit cult. I’m sailing again on January 20th and am very happy to be sailing with Captain Kate again. I know Maja is still on Summit and is due to leave on vacation in January. When I last communicated with her she was pretty sure she would still be there for the 1/20 sailing so I’m hoping she is! Enjoy your next Summit cruise!

HappyCruiser 6143 - I feel as if I should know you (but I don’t) as we both seem to belong to the same cults!! [emoji15]. I sailed Summit 5 times in 2017 largely due to the fact that I also belong to the Summit cult. I’m sailing again on January 20th and am very happy to be sailing with Captain Kate again. I know Maja is still on Summit and is due to leave on vacation in January. When I last communicated with her she was pretty sure she would still be there for the 1/20 sailing so I’m hoping she is! Enjoy your next Summit cruise!

We're not the only members of this "cult." Hope that both Captain Kate and Maja are still there for your January 20 sailing! When I sailed with Maja last fall, I didn't know I'd be on the January 6 cruise, so didn't tell her. It's a last minute escape. Bon Voyage to you!

... an inside cabin both times, the chances that I would see Captain Kate all about the ship were slim. I suspect most people see her if they are elite or have upgraded cabins/suites because it appears that she may talk to those cruisers more than an inside 2 timer.

I do not think that elites or people in upgraded cabins are more likely to see Captain Kate. Last time I was on the Summit (October 2017) she was serving cookies and pastries at Cafe al Bacio. She joked that the crew would not let her make the specialty coffees.

Carolyn

based on my past 2 sailings on the Summit, I can say that I saw her 1 time at the St Thomas port when we were getting off. Being that I have only sailed on the summit 2x(and Celebrity 2x) and had an inside cabin both times, the chances that I would see Captain Kate all about the ship were slim. I suspect most people see her if they are elite or have upgraded cabins/suites because it appears that she may talk to those cruisers more than an inside 2 timer. Also, to be quite frank, I didn't notice any difference on how the ship sailed having a female American captain. I had a female captain on the Jewel of the Seas last year and it wasn't much of a difference there. I suspect that most people here that film her or take selfies or stalk her do so because she is young and attractive (as evidenced by pictures I saw on internet) not because she is a female captain and the greatest captain in the fleet. I am on the summit in April on a b2b and the sex of my captain is not the least bit of a concern to me.

I don't care about the sex of the captain either. Don't think anyone is claiming she's the greatest captain in the fleet. I'm sure they're all quite competent. But captains are people, and people have different personalities. I like Captain Kate because of her personality. I can assure you that if you run into her in the hall, she has no idea that you are in an inside cabin unless you have tattooed that information on your forehead. I've had several random encounters with her out and about and she will actually stop and talk to you.

• 3 weeks later...
Looks like she just confirmed it on this Instagram post:

I noticed on her instagram she said until they end of May she'll be on the Equinox. We are on the Equinox June 9. I was hoping to have her. Anyone know why just until then and where she'll be after that? Kinda bummed now that we'll miss Captain Kate.

I noticed on her instagram she said until they end of May she'll be on the Equinox. We are on the Equinox June 9. I was hoping to have her. Anyone know why just until then and where she'll be after that? Kinda bummed now that we'll miss Captain Kate.

Most likely she will be taking a vacation and then be returning to the Equinox.

I would be a member of the Captain Kate "cult" even if she were a man. Has nothing to do with the fact that she's a woman and everything to do with her personality and how she interacts with the customers.

I have not had the opportunity to sail with this Captain so far. But, we have a friend on Summit. He is very sick. He has been invited to attend a few functions that would be attended by the captain. He has been too sick to attend.

The captain said. "Well, if you are too sick to come to us, then we will come to you".

I guess I am a member of the "cult" now also, even though we have never met. :)

I have not had the opportunity to sail with this Captain so far. But, we have a friend on Summit. He is very sick. He has been invited to attend a few functions that would be attended by the captain. He has been too sick to attend.

The captain said. "Well, if you are too sick to come to us, then we will come to you".

I guess I am a member of the "cult" now also, even though we have never met. :)

And this is an example of things Captain Kate would do. I’ve sailed with her many times and am currently on Summit. She is a sincere kind hearted person. Prayers to your friend.

Most likely she will be taking a vacation and then be returning to the Equinox.
Her last sailing on the Summit is the third week in January, she then gets 5 weeks vacation before taking the helm on the Equinox. She will then be on for 15 weeks. She was just "visiting" the Equinox.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk