First time cruise on Celebrity Reflection in February

JaneAustenCruiser

Mostly checking in as a new community member. Going on my first cruise on the Celebrity Reflection in February to the Caribbean. My user name comes from the fact that my stepmom is very generously paying for this cruise for me since my dad HATES to travel (former 2x Vietnam Vet with PTSD). So I feel like the poor distant relative that acts as the traveling companion for rich, older lady. LOL. Accurate, except for the fact that my stepmom is pretty all around great fun and not the querulous old snoot you usually see in Austen's booksclear.png?emoji-winktongue-1704 . My husband is definitely jealous!

Have been reading through all the forum postings and Celebrity-specific forum.

So, since I need to have a specific question here, what is the one thing you would recommend I do to get a full "cruise" experience? She's purchased us the premium beverage package, unlimited internet, shore excursions, etc. We are going with a special interest group (crochet cruise), but there will be plenty of time on our own as well. I'm a runner/active person and am super looking forward to some gym time on a treadmill. I don't run in the winter because a) I live in Michigan and b) I'm not crazy. LOL I would consider myself an adventure traveler and am open to trying pretty much anything once (except base jumping hahahaha).

Thanks in advance and am looking forward to community conversation.

If your MIL has already lined up shore exs, I'm not sure what else I could suggest for port visits, unless you aren't planning on joining her.

If you are a runner, there is a jogging track on the Lawn Club deck as an alternative to the treadmill.

Be sure to join the roll call for your ship's sailing. You'll be able to see what some of your fellow cruisers are planning.

Sounds like your MIL has most things already set up. Have a great cruise.

Just got off Reflection, 10 Day Ultimate Caribbean.

Ask any questions you like, I will answer.

Michigan Native !!!

Mostly checking in as a new community member. Going on my first cruise on the Celebrity Reflection in February to the Caribbean. My user name comes from the fact that my stepmom is very generously paying for this cruise for me since my dad HATES to travel (former 2x Vietnam Vet with PTSD). So I feel like the poor distant relative that acts as the traveling companion for rich, older lady. LOL. Accurate, except for the fact that my stepmom is pretty all around great fun and not the querulous old snoot you usually see in Austen's booksclear.png?emoji-winktongue-1704 . My husband is definitely jealous!

Have been reading through all the forum postings and Celebrity-specific forum.

So, since I need to have a specific question here, what is the one thing you would recommend I do to get a full "cruise" experience? She's purchased us the premium beverage package, unlimited internet, shore excursions, etc. We are going with a special interest group (crochet cruise), but there will be plenty of time on our own as well. I'm a runner/active person and am super looking forward to some gym time on a treadmill. I don't run in the winter because a) I live in Michigan and b) I'm not crazy. LOL I would consider myself an adventure traveler and am open to trying pretty much anything once (except base jumping hahahaha).

Thanks in advance and am looking forward to community conversation.

Stop by the Martini Bar at least once and watch the very talented bartenders do what they do best! It is quite entertaining.

Enjoy the sunset at the Sunset Bar, it's a very popular spot on Reflection.

Have a specialty coffee and a great pastry at Cafe al Baccio, relax and people watch.

You sound like fun, so I'm sure you will have fun!! I agree with a previous answer - the Martini Bar should not be missed!! We also take a yellow marker with us and study the daily activity list, highlighting what interests us. (I especially enjoy some of the Executive Chef lectures on food preparation - even though I'm not much of a cook). There is a lot to take in! We travel in Aqua class, and spend some time every day in Persian Gardens. We enjoy going to the Sky Observation lounge to relax, have a drink and view the world. We also attend every show in the evening. Our previous practice with other cruise lines is to go to the early show and if we REALLY enjoy it, go back for the late - but with Celebrity, we tend to just take in one show. There are lectures (I especially enjoy the technical ones), dancing, smaller shows with comedians and smaller musical groups... it goes on and on!

My point here is that there is a lot to do. It's just a matter of doing it! We also take the time to just sit and relax! Have a great cruise!

As an avid Jane Austen fan (my ebooks go with me on every cruise) I love your name!

My first cruise advice to you and you stepmom would be not to rush around too much. Find time to sit and people watch, relax and soak in the atmosphere! There are some fantastic places to do this including cafe el bachio, the sunset bar, lounge areas and my very favourite my own balcony - enjoyed first thing in the morning with coffee and last thing at night with a final tipple...

You will find on your bed each evening a Today sheet which lists the activities for the next day. A highlighter pen can be useful. We often enjoy some of the smaller activities (how to cook a perfect steak, fish....) than the bigger shows. We also enjoy the live music that moves around the ship.

Speciality dining is worth paying for a few nights in our opinion....if you are flexible with time and day you can get good discounts.

Remember you can also dine in your room. On excursion days it can be useful and time saving to have breakfast in your room. Also if you do come back exhausted from an excursion and don’t want to dress for dinner you can order from the MDR menu during the restaurant opening times.

If you do want the opportunity to make friends on your own for some parts of the cruise you could join the roll call or ask at guest relations if there are any ‘singles’ activities.

Sincere best wishes for a wonderful cruise. Take PRIDE in your choices, don’t show PREJUDICE in trying new things, keep SENSE and SENSIBILITY with your drinks package and I don’t think you will need much PERSUASION to have a great time!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to Celebrity.

I also suggest the Martini Bar but I should warn you that sometimes it is difficult to get a seat..especially for cocktails before dinner.

They do have bathrobes that can be used on the ship...they are usually given out to loyalty members, but you can ask your room steward if there are any available for you to use for the cruise. Most the steward can say is no.

Most important...relax and enjoy the cruise.

Try not to miss the specialty restaurant Murano. Wonderful food and service. We love the Lobster Murano (prepared tableside) Chateaubriand (ditto) and Crepes Balon Rouge (ditto). We just sailed on Reflection last month. A member of the activities staff, Chico, performed his first ever evening theater show at 10:30 one night and received a prolonged standing ovation. The audience shouted for more and would not stop until the CD brought him back to confirm that since it was his first show he had nothing more to perform. I've never seen that reaction to any performer on any cruise ship, ever. So, if he performs, don't miss his show. He's a very talented and personable vocalist.

We often skip desert in the MDR. And go to Cafe el Bacio. The deserts there are much nicer and you can have a speciality coffee and a brandy etc.

And the desserts are FREE their although the drinks aren't, but you have the beverage package for that. It took me 10 cruises before I realized the sweets were free!! We get a couple cookies every day plus something to go with our cappuccino! Enjoy[emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If your MIL has already lined up shore exs, I'm not sure what else I could suggest for port visits, unless you aren't planning on joining her.

If you are a runner, there is a jogging track on the Lawn Club deck as an alternative to the treadmill.

Be sure to join the roll call for your ship's sailing. You'll be able to see what some of your fellow cruisers are planning.

Sounds like your MIL has most things already set up. Have a great cruise.

Thank you, The jogging track sounds awesome!

Just got off Reflection, 10 Day Ultimate Caribbean.

Ask any questions you like, I will answer.

Michigan Native !!!

Wonderful! I hate to mention this but i work at MSU...GO GREEN! Lol!

Do you mind if i ask which deck your cabin was on? We’re on 10, aft port with a veranda room. I was excited to see we were on the same deck as the library. I’m kind of a nerd that way. ;p;p I’m curious how the different decks are like re: staterooms.

As an avid Jane Austen fan (my ebooks go with me on every cruise) I love your name!

My first cruise advice to you and you stepmom would be not to rush around too much. Find time to sit and people watch, relax and soak in the atmosphere! There are some fantastic places to do this including cafe el bachio, the sunset bar, lounge areas and my very favourite my own balcony - enjoyed first thing in the morning with coffee and last thing at night with a final tipple...

You will find on your bed each evening a Today sheet which lists the activities for the next day. A highlighter pen can be useful. We often enjoy some of the smaller activities (how to cook a perfect steak, fish....) than the bigger shows. We also enjoy the live music that moves around the ship.

Speciality dining is worth paying for a few nights in our opinion....if you are flexible with time and day you can get good discounts.

Remember you can also dine in your room. On excursion days it can be useful and time saving to have breakfast in your room. Also if you do come back exhausted from an excursion and don’t want to dress for dinner you can order from the MDR menu during the restaurant opening times.

If you do want the opportunity to make friends on your own for some parts of the cruise you could join the roll call or ask at guest relations if there are any ‘singles’ activities.

Sincere best wishes for a wonderful cruise. Take PRIDE in your choices, don’t show PREJUDICE in trying new things, keep SENSE and SENSIBILITY with your drinks package and I don’t think you will need much PERSUASION to have a great time!

This is such great advice. My stepmom is a veteran cruise so i know shes looking forward to helping me get acclimated to ship life. I read that somebody had recommended bringing your own coffee mug to take to one of the cafés. Would you recommend this?

I’m definitely going to talk with her about making reservations at a couple of the specialty restaurants. Thanks for the great advice.

That last paragraph! So funny! :') (y)

Love the Reflection! I would agree with the above poster about Café al Bacio. We never have dessert in the dining room. We walk around the ship a little then head for the café---everything there is good! Also, the Lawn Club Grill is an outdoor venue--love sitting outside since as a New Yorker we only have a few months of outdoor dining!

Love your screen name---my daughter is an avid Jane Austen fan, she's a school librarian and named her first child Georgiana, after Georgiana Darcy!

This is such great advice. My stepmom is a veteran cruise so i know shes looking forward to helping me get acclimated to ship life. I read that somebody had recommended bringing your own coffee mug to take to one of the cafés. Would you recommend this?

I’m definitely going to talk with her about making reservations at a couple of the specialty restaurants. Thanks for the great advice.

That last paragraph! So funny! :') (y)

Cafe el bachio has the best coffee and cups to go so no need for your own mug....

Agree with all who have recommended Muranos...food is lovely and the tableside preparation does make your meal more of an event.

Although we are regular Celebrity S cruisers we have not cruised Reflection before so we are also looking forward to reading other Reflection specific recommendations on your post before we cruise on her in March.

As far as the mug.... Iv take a thermal mug with me too keep my coffee hot as I'm sitting on my balcony or sitting out reading my book. Murano restaurant is fantastic but wait until you board to make reservations. They will offer specials such as half price if you go the first night or,, last cruise we got buy two get one free! That way you can try a couple different. We love Tuscon Grill also. We're doing Reflection in April.:D

Thank you, The jogging track sounds awesome!

Don't get too excited by the 'jogging track' - In two cruises (one on Equinox the other on Reflection) I've yet to see anyone jogging (but I've not observed it before 9am, so maybe first thing...).

All it is a 1.5 metre / 5 foot wide by 200 metre long marked out track on the deck above the pool that is surrounded on either side by sun beds. It is also part of normal walkways around the deck so will have people walking leisurely about, bar staff with drinks trollies etc. It is used a lot by people exercising by doing a 'brisk walk', but anything faster during the main part of the day would likely end in disaster.

And, if it bothers you, it also goes past the smoking area by the Mast Bar.

Don't get too excited by the 'jogging track' - In two cruises (one on Equinox the other on Reflection) I've yet to see anyone jogging (but I've not observed it before 9am, so maybe first thing...).

All it is a 1.5 metre / 5 foot wide by 200 metre long marked out track on the deck above the pool that is surrounded on either side by sun beds. It is also part of normal walkways around the deck so will have people walking leisurely about, bar staff with drinks trollies etc. It is used a lot by people exercising by doing a 'brisk walk', but anything faster during the main part of the day would likely end in disaster.

And, if it bothers you, it also goes past the smoking area by the Mast Bar.

That always amazes me that they put the smoking area right by the track where HEALTHY people are taking their exercise. It's a big ship. They need to be somewhere else! Just saying!!

On Reflection the very well equipped gym is all the way forward on Deck 12. IMHO that's better if you are a runner or jogger to get unobstructed room to exercise. As stated previously, unless you are up really early it will be difficult to run or jog on the "jogging" track for the previously stated reasons. You can check out passenger reviews of Reflection by clicking on the Research drop down at the top of the page next to the Cruise Critic logo and then following to Reflection. They have a wonderful crew and you will have an amazing trip. Enjoy!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to Celebrity.

They do have bathrobes that can be used on the ship...they are usually given out to loyalty members, but you can ask your room steward if there are any available for you to use for the cruise. Most the steward can say is no.

Most important...relax and enjoy the cruise.

On Celebrity everyone gets a bathrobe in the cabin, nothing to do with loyalty level. As from Concierge cabin and up the robes are more plush.

On Reflection the very well equipped gym is all the way forward on Deck 12. IMHO that's better if you are a runner or jogger to get unobstructed room to exercise. As stated previously, unless you are up really early it will be difficult to run or jog on the "jogging" track for the previously stated reasons. You can check out passenger reviews of Reflection by clicking on the Research drop down at the top of the page next to the Cruise Critic logo and then following to Reflection. They have a wonderful crew and you will have an amazing trip. Enjoy!

I can attest that people (my DH included) do run on the track, but usually early in the morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk