Who is NOT in a hurry on the last day?

On our first cruise we imagined a leisurely disembarkation, but it didn't work out as planned. The only breakfast option was WJ, We were pushed out of our JS around 9:30, the only place to go was the departure area on the Promonade, which was like a train station at rush hour, where we spent over an hour. By the time we got off the ship there was 1 1/4 hour backup in immigration and customs. Our adult children cruised with us, two left their cabins at 8 am with their families and were at the airport 45 minutes later.

Our next cruise we'll take an early disembarkation, drive home, shower, then go out and have brunch somewhere.

Thank you for commenting on my question. I am the OP. I appreciate you sharing your experience, which I did not take as rude at all.:confused:

I can see why the cruise staff wants us out of our cabins, as they have 1500 cabins to turn around in a matter of a few hours for the next horde of passengers. I remember the cruise compass also saying that they request all cabins be vacated by 8am. I don’t like being rushed either, but I understand the staff has a lot of work to do in a matter of just a few hours. Other passengers are wanting to board around 11or so, and if zero doubt doesn’t happen until 8:30 or 9:00, that leaves little time to clean all of the public spaces of the ships. Curious if Galveston offers luggage valet....

For those who are not in a rush to catch a flight, what is there to do on the last day? Are you required to sit in one of the "holding lounges" and wait to be called? I have no flight to catch, but if there is nothing available to do, I think I will do as I have previously, and line up early.

We've had some bad luck (luggage taken by mistake, jam up at customs) staying on the ship too late, so now we try to get away ASAP, no matter how much time we have.

Well, if I don't, I can always come back here, post about it, and be scolded by you.

Wasn't scolding you. Your post #17 indicated RC didn't explain to inexperienced cruisers debarkation procedure. Explained procedure and paperwork, and you're still upset. I was not the poster that called you rude.

For those who are not in a rush to catch a flight, what is there to do on the last day? Are you required to sit in one of the "holding lounges" and wait to be called? I have no flight to catch, but if there is nothing available to do, I think I will do as I have previously, and line up early.

Enjoy your cruise on Majesty. We were on her last weekend, and although it was a bit chilly and things were rocking and rolling on the last night, we LOVED her. Such a pretty little ship and such a great crew! Activities director Jeffrey and his team did a fantastic job---kept everybody hopping! Enjoy!!!

We are planning on using luggage valet. How much did you pay per bag?

We did the Royal luggage valet program where they take them the night before and you see them at your destination airport (for a fee of course). All 7 of us had backpacks with valuables, etc. that we carried for the day. Rented a mini-van at the FLL airport and did our own airboat tour which we met up with just past Sawgrass Mills Mall on I75. Back to airport in plenty of time for our 445pm flight.

Depending on your sailing, there are post-cruise shore excursions through RC. There's quite a bit to see and do in the area but most would require a vehicle.

Rude? No, I am many things, but not that. I also didn't say a JS "had anything to do with that", but then again, I don't have all the knowledge others have 'round these parts. I definitely do not recall seeing any notice that there was a mandatory 8 am vacate order. Not saying it wasn't there - jus' don't recollect see'n it.

The point of my post was to say RCI makes an effort to motivate people to get off the ship early, and that's not clear to everyone - especially us novice cruisers.

Well now you know...

Disembarkation can be a painful process and I have developed a routine that works for me ...

I get up really early, pack and then aim to get to the MDR for breakfast as soon as it opens. Following a leisurely breakfast, I make my way back to the cabin, do some final checks and vacate the room by 8:00am.

I then make my way to the designated lounge and wait for my turn to leave. I usually get to leave between 9:00 am and 9:30 am so the wait doesn't tend to be too long but I look to get off as soon as I am allowed to.

I usually book an evening flight so have a lot of time to kill. I prefer to book a day room at a hotel near the airport, where I dump my luggage before spending the rest of the day touring the port.

This approach works for me on Med cruises and ones from Miami/FL.

Is there a listing of which ports offer this?

Yes, but it's not accurate: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=luggage_valet_service

I believe RC offers Luggage Valet at Miami too. I think I read that Seattle has something similar, but not associated with the cruise line.

Yes, but it's not accurate: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=luggage_valet_service

I believe RC offers Luggage Valet at Miami too. I think I read that Seattle has something similar, but not associated with the cruise line.

They do, and it's 100% free (paid for by Seattle) however because of that, it does require you to have a fairly late flight. The idea being that you'll spend the day in Seattle spending money.

They do, and it's 100% free (paid for by Seattle) however because of that, it does require you to have a fairly late flight. The idea being that you'll spend the day in Seattle spending money.

Thanks, do you know the name of the service in Seattle?

Nothing is open except breakfast. You can sit around in one of the holding areas but seems pointless to me. We always carry our bags off and we drive to the port so we are never in a hurry. But i don’t see the point in sitting around on the ship when you can get off and go sit around at home. 🤷🏻*♀️

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For those who fly home, we don't want to sit around an airport. There is a certain number of hours where you don't have time for an organized excursion and too much time to sit in an airport. We had a noon flight out of Miami once, stayed on the ship till the last group was leaving, which was real close to 10pm. We stayed by the pool as it was November and 25 degress back in Ohio. We wouldn't see 80 again until June. Got off with them, so we didn't hold anyone up, still at the airport by 10:30 which was fine for a weekend flight out of Miami.

Every time we have had later flights, I always regret it. If you have a substantial amount of time there really is nothing to do. We have never had any interest in an excursion on departure day. If you’re flying out of FLL it’s particularly bad since they discourage anyone from checking in too early.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we cruise out of Baltimore, we ask for a later departure number if it's a weekday so we can avoid rush hour traffic heading back south around the DC beltway since we live in NoVA. If we're cruising out of FL, we ask for earlier since we're usually going somewhere like Disney after the cruise or out of NJ, we head to Manhattan for a few days. Normally, after breakfast, we just go back to our cabin, get our stuff and head to the waiting area just before we're supposed to be there. At that point, we're just ready to go ahead and leave since there's really nothing else to do. I don't like to fly, so we either drive or take the train.