Princess Coffee Cards now have expiration dates

whatcruiseisnext

Okay, since we cancelled our upcoming cruise, and our original booking is still on the books for later this year with the Beverage Package... (we never happened to cancel it yet, when we had booked to move our dates up)

How can we take these two cards we have, UNDATED, and get shipboard credit for them?

I have never really known about or thought of that!

Inquiring minds want to know.

I don’t think OBC is really an option. I think that was a facetious comment. If not, I’d love to know how to trade coffee cards for OBC!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Neither have I, and never had a coffee card either :D

I'm just throwing out ways that Princess could make this transition happen at very little cost to them without creating a whole lot of bad goodwill and be done with the issue

Nip it...:evilsmile:

We were on that sailing too! We're Elite and always trade our mini-bar for 2 coffee cards. My husband doesn't drink coffee at all and rarely drinks a specialty tea. I drink mostly brewed coffee because I'm not a big fan of flavored coffees (although in the heat, I found out I really like a blended mocha). Depending on the ship, sometimes the Lido coffee is undrinkable. I probably have 25 or more cards from previous cruises. It never occurred to me to try to sell them. I just looked and my cards have the 12/31/18 exp also (never noticed it until I read this thread). I wish Princess would give us another option for the mini bar (we don't drink wine either). It's a perk we've earned from 35+ Princess cruises. I certainly don't mind punches for brewed coffee, but I don't think the old ones should expire entirely. Anyone want to guess what it costs Princess to give me a cup of brewed coffee? Maybe less than 1 cent! I highly doubt the free brewed coffee is crippling their bottom line. They've also eliminated large cups and no longer let you use a punch (or punches) at Gelato either. Will be on the Crown in Feb and the Regal in March. Holland is looking better all the time. At least I don't feel nickle and dimed to death there!!

More than 25 unused coffee punch cards not used by one couple! Seems like a justification for Princess to try and deal with this kind of unfunded potential liability in some way. Almost 400 unused speciality coffees!

In my experience there are always some portion of loyalty benefits that are not used by everyone.

By the way, not a single person has reported being refused the opportunity to use a punch.

Perhaps people can give away their unused cards unless they are not suppose to be transferred.

More than 25 unused coffee punch cards not used by one couple! Seems like a justification for Princess to try and deal with this kind of unfunded potential liability in some way. Almost 400 unused speciality coffees!

In my experience there are always some portion of loyalty benefits that are not used by everyone.

By the way, not a single person has reported being refused the opportunity to use a punch.

Perhaps people can give away their unused cards unless they are not suppose to be transferred.

With the number of Elite cruisers, and the percentage of those that trade their free bar setup for coffee cards, I would suspect that Princess gives away almost as many as they sell. They could do a two tier system. Those given away getting a 1 year limit, those purchased getting a longer period. Of course that would be more complex, so not surprised that they have set the same limit for both.

Why should unused coffee cards be so troubling. We've accumulated many ourselves and can be sold, transferred or donated as we see fit. Either way Princess hasn't lost a dime no matter what we choose to do with them.

The people next Dec will have a different situation to deal with since they seem to be capped off with an expiration date.

Last October on the CB we celebrated with the Breakfast Lovers Package (loads of good food) which came with a Coffee Card. Since we only had a few cruise days left we stored the card for use on our upcoming Regal cruise in April and used up the punches on the previous cruise card. The back of the card had "CB" and the cruise number written in but no date. We don't anticipate any problem realizing that we'll have to pay for the drip coffee. Thought about buying a coffee card on the upcoming Regal (7 days) as we could always use left over punches on the CB in September. After trying to digest all the thoughts on this thread, maybe we'll just hold off buying the new one and I'll pay for the drip coffee and DW will enjoy her specialty coffees. Interesting thoughts on this whole "dated coffee cards" thread.

Princess made out when someone doesn't use their coffee card the same way a store makes out when you don't use a gift card. There is no accounting on these coffee cards except when they are sold (not given as mini bar trade ins) and then it's all profit if you don't use it. What Liability could you possibly be thinking?

Last October on the CB we celebrated with the Breakfast Lovers Package (loads of good food) which came with a Coffee Card. Since we only had a few cruise days left we stored the card for use on our upcoming Regal cruise in April and used up the punches on the previous cruise card. The back of the card had "CB" and the cruise number written in but no date. We don't anticipate any problem realizing that we'll have to pay for the drip coffee. Thought about buying a coffee card on the upcoming Regal (7 days) as we could always use left over punches on the CB in September. After trying to digest all the thoughts on this thread, maybe we'll just hold off buying the new one and I'll pay for the drip coffee and DW will enjoy her specialty coffees. Interesting thoughts on this whole "dated coffee cards" thread.

Why on earth would you use a punch on your old coffee card on the Regal?

They serve the same dripped coffee in the Horizon all day long & only give it out with a punch at the IC as a convenience. Also arrive before 6 AM & it's also free for everyone.

Utilize your old coffee card for speciality coffee only.

Princess made out when someone doesn't use their coffee card the same way a store makes out when you don't use a gift card. There is no accounting on these coffee cards except when they are sold (not given as mini bar trade ins) and then it's all profit if you don't use it. What Liability could you possibly be thinking?

When a company does its financial reporting it has to estimate liabilities. The dollar value of the unused, but issued coffee card are a liability that would need to be estimated. Now ones that are never used may not be a liability from a cash flow perspective, but the value of those issued (sold), but not used and thus available to be redeemed in the future has to be included in a companies financial if they are sufficient in scope to be considered to be material. I would suspect that fairly large numbers have been issued, but never redeemed. By establishing an expiration date, they can be removed from the companies books after the expiration changing the liability estimate from those issued but not used since the start of the program to one of those issued within the last 12 months. A much much smaller number, and probably not material.

When a company does its financial reporting it has to estimate liabilities. The dollar value of the unused, but issued coffee card are a liability that would need to be estimated. Now ones that are never used may not be a liability from a cash flow perspective, but the value of those issued (sold), but not used and thus available to be redeemed in the future has to be included in a companies financial if they are sufficient in scope to be considered to be material. I would suspect that fairly large numbers have been issued, but never redeemed. By establishing an expiration date, they can be removed from the companies books after the expiration changing the liability estimate from those issued but not used since the start of the program to one of those issued within the last 12 months. A much much smaller number, and probably not material.

They may know how many cards were sold, but they have no way of knowing how many cards were completely used or how many punches remain on other outstanding cards.

Knowing the value of unused cards/punches for accounting purposes is pulling an estimate from where the sun does not shine.

Feb 25 will be our first cruise with Princess and I had planned on buying at least one for my wife and possibly a second one for myself. With an expiration date I no longer plan on purchasing any and therefore probably no coffee either. We both can live without special coffee for a week.

You can still use for specialty coffee on later cruises, but you just will not be able to get free brewed coffee or the free teas. Still value for money.

They may know how many cards were sold, but they have no way of knowing how many cards were completely used or how many punches remain on other outstanding cards.

Knowing the value of unused cards/punches for accounting purposes is pulling an estimate from where the sun does not shine.

This will all change sometime in the future when the ***** is in operation.

Perhaps, but I would think that the ship would know how many punches (cards) were sold or given away and each cruise. I would also think they would know the exact number of punches used. Thus an easy calculation know they know how many drinks are consumed with the Drink packages.

If find it is amazing that anyone could not see that 25 unused coffee cards accumulated by one individual is not the intent of the program nor a good thing for Princess.

I am more shocked that it has not be stopped years ago.

You can still use for specialty coffee on later cruises, but you just will not be able to get free brewed coffee or the free teas. Still value for money.

This thread has discussed that coffee cards are beginning to come with an expiration which currently is 12/31/18.

The OP is sailing in February & will most likely have that expiration date on a coffee card. Thus the coffee card punches would only be valid on later cruises until the end of 2018.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Perhaps, but I would think that the ship would know how many punches (cards) were sold or given away and each cruise. I would also think they would know the exact number of punches used. Thus an easy calculation know they know how many drinks are consumed with the Drink packages.

If find it is amazing that anyone could not see that 25 unused coffee cards accumulated by one individual is not the intent of the program nor a good thing for Princess.

I am more shocked that it has not be stopped years ago.

Please explain to me How YOU think Princess would know how many punches are used??

Plus as a company, they know that a lpt of the cards will NOT be used - lost, thrown away or just put in a drawer ....

How do I know this??? Just an educated guess. Just like anyother gift card - the company sells them knowning they will not ALL be used - gift cards are a $$$ maker for any company.

That is exactly the problem when it comes to issuing things without expiration dates. Even the best estimates get more and more inaccurate. The actually can do a relatively accurate estimate because they have to have some data they can use to back into an estimate. The number of sold drinks and the amount of product purchased and consumed. They can use that to estimate the number of drinks issued that were not paid for at point of sale. Compare that to the number of coffee cards sold and calculate an estimate for the the remaining number. While such an estimate is not perfect, it is, as the saying goes close enough. For a short term such as a year or two the error rate would not be material for financial reporting purposes. Open ended for a product with a high rate of non-redemption it can get out of control after just a couple of years.

Please explain to me How YOU think Princess would know how many punches are used??

Plus as a company, they know that a lpt of the cards will NOT be used - lost, thrown away or just put in a drawer ....

How do I know this??? Just an educated guess. Just like anyother gift card - the company sells them knowning they will not ALL be used - gift cards are a $$$ maker for any company.

Exactly!!!!!

You do know people sell them on ebay..heck a couple years ago people were selling unused ones on roll calls. Yes some of the more generous type do give their extra ones away...often on the last day when in line at the coffee bar cards with just a few more punches are passed around.....

Do I think princess is keeping inventory on non-purchased cards that go out...no way! If I am in a suite, I get 2 mini bars , when I have my drink package....what will I do exchange the mini-bars for 4 coffee cards......just sayin'...... Do you really think they inventory all the mini bar items that come back.............I don't think so........they have more important things to worry about..and coffee card are way down on the list.....

Edited by land lover

You do know people sell them on ebay..heck a couple years ago people were selling unused ones on roll calls. Yes some of the more generous type do give their extra ones away...often on the last day when in line at the coffee bar cards with just a few more punches are passed around.....

Do I think princess is keeping inventory on non-purchased cards that go out...no way! If I am in a suite, I get 2 mini bars , when I have my drink package....what will I do exchange the mini-bars for 4 coffee cards......just sayin'...... Do you really think they inventory all the mini bar items that come back.............I don't think so........they have more important things to worry about..and coffee card are way down on the list.....

They know how many are printed. They would consider coffee cards, as they do anything in inventory. They would know how many are sold, and how many are issued as part of benefits (do you really think that they do not track the cost of elite benefits?). At a minimum they would track number put in inventory, number sold via point of sale system, number remaining in inventory. just track those three data items, that we know they would have, even if they do not log those given to elites (which they also probably log due to the card having monetary value) gives them the amount given away.

As far as mini bar items yes they would track via inventory. A minibar system usually (don't know for sure how any given cruise line would use for a system) but in many hotels they would consider items to still be in inventory when in rooms. They are subtracted from inventory when billed and replaced. A cruise line would most likely remove them plus any additional purchases at the end of the cruise. Any items remaining at end of cruise would still be in inventory.

Very normal systems for any well managed public company.

I have a feeling they don't keep track of cards. A couple years ago I had one that the barista dropped on the floor in a puddle of water. I told her I didn't want that one back ( I'm a germaphobe)& she just gave me another one with the amount of punches the other one had. I've also seen a friend of mine schmooze a free one because she was from the same country as the barista.

I just saw this depressing move from Princess & hopefully it won't affect my old coffee cards we haven't used yet? :(

I would hate to lose my coffee punches especially when they told us they were good in the future. :mad: