No books

Rjh8842

I took Ron Chernow’s biography of Alexander Hamilton with me (it’s the one that inspired the play). It’s 730 pages so I figured no way I’d finish it even if I was quarantined (which fortunately didn’t happen).

I love cruising but the fact that on average I read a book a day whilst cruising means that without ebooks logistics would be a problem. I much prefer physical books to ebooks but carrying the 1500 or so books in my ebook library whilst on holiday is much easier than the physical equivalent.

I would NEVER, EVER go on any sort of vacation without my e-reader and possibly a book back up. Are you crazy? If you are a reader, you must have books! I have had this NOOK for almost 2 years. I am going to purchase another one because I don't trust them. ( 2 previous Nooks have died unexpectedly) If this one should die on vacation, I will have reading material back up and I will pay or use my credit to download my books.

I resisted e-readers for a long time..but they are the most awesome thing ever. At this point, I wish that I had purchased a Kindle; but I loved my local Barnes & Noble before it closed.

You really should try an e-reader. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised! :D

The first time we went to Europe (2000), DD and I each brought 9 or 10 books and borrowed each other's when we finished our own stash.

Can you imagine how much of a baggage weight allowance those books would consume today?

We sail in a month, and DH is already checking over the reading material on his Kindle; I know I have at least 50 on mine that I haven't read yet. It wouldn't be an enjoyable vacation if we were stranded without good reading material. I don't think of a Kindle as technology. It's a portable library.

It´s not hard to imagine, as it would take exactly the same baggage weight allowance today as in 2000. I doubt the weight of the books has changed;p;p;p

One of the benefits of cruises is that it caters for different people. I am one who likes spending time in libraries and reading physical books. Taking this away as seems to be the trend troubles me.

The location of the library on Indy was really great. I understand that they are losing the library and that one change loses part of the appeal on future cruises on that ship.

another plus to the kindle is that many libraries now have e-books for you to "borrow". We uploaded several books on our last cruise via our library at home! And the best part is no over-due fees--when your time allotment is up, the book just becomes unavailable on your Kindle!

I’ve converted over to free library books, and last year saved at least $1500! They have a great selection, and I rarely find myself needing to buy the next book in a series :). I bring the Kindle on cruises, but also a couple of paperbacks for the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It’s heartening to read these posts from fellow cruisers that love reading as much as I do. My husband is a non-reader and can not comprehend my obsession with reading on vacation. On our cruise last February, I could not find my Kindle upon returning to the ship from Labadee. Panicked, I unpacked everyone’s backpacks, looking through them several times. I broke down in tears, convinced that I left it in the cabana. My husband watched this scene unfold, a look of incredulity in his face. He said something like, “It’s no big deal, you have that one book with you.” Through tears I replied that one book wasn’t enough and what was I going to DO for the rest of the week?

Luckily, my husband had the wits to call his sister, who was traveling with us. His nephew picked my Kindle up, thinking it belonged to his mom and packed it in her bag. I immediately rushed to their room to be reunited with my device. My SIL and nephew were also very nonchalant, stating that they were just going to return it at dinner, which was still HOURS (or many chapters) away!

I can not believe 2 pages in and no one has suggested the loan of a book from a gracious chair hog. Win/win, you get a new book and save their chair for them while they are getting dressed for the day, eating breakfast, then lunch before they FINALLY show up to dip in the pool! All in good humor folks.....

I am actually surprised at how little I read on board vs now much I read everyday at home.

I am reading this thread with great interest. I went to Kindle kicking and screaming. Several years ago we did a Panama Canal Cruise from San Francisco to Ft Lauderdale. Total vacation was 21 days. I called the San Francisco hotel to make sure I could mail a package to myself. YES! I mailed 20 pounds of books to myself in San Francisco.

That was where I changed to Kindle, just for vacation. Now it is mostly Kindle, and I am on my 8th Kindle. I just wear them out.

I am a reader, and my vacation time is when I can read without guilt. I don't have to worry about cooking or cleaning, or other house hold chores.

Kindle is not technology to me. But - as they say - different strokes for different folks.

Love my kindle all the time but especially when on a cruise. I probably read a book a day and with all the free books you can obtain from Amazon it’s perfect for me. My kindle has over 2000 books and only a handful cost money.

The only time I usually read a book or two is on vacation. We are driving to the pier for our next cruise so easy to pack a few books that I will leave in the library once done.

However the cruise after this one we have to fly to. We overpack in general. Clothes, shoes, toiletries, etc.

I just got a kindle so hopefully one less thing to overpack. I still have my new books so will bring those on this cruise and test out the kindle.

Agree 100% Bob!!!

I also agree with you and Bob! I am not a tech person at all..I have a flip phone which I rarely use, I cannot "cut and paste", don't know what "cookies" are (you get the idea), but I love my Kindle especially for traveling. I can't imagine bringing a "bunch" of paperbacks. I do read regular paper books often at home but for travel, an e-reader is just common sense, JMHO !!:D

My luggage for a cruise used to consist of about half a dozen pairs of shoes, more than a dozen books and whatever clothing I could fit in.

Now 3 pairs of shoes max, 2 emergency papers in an outside pocket, an extension cord and charger and my Kindle. Plenty of room for clothes.

I occasionally try to read a paperback at home, but it takes two hands, have to turn the pages, and, if I doze off, I drop it and lose my place.

My Kindle is lightweight, needs only one hand and I can’t lose my place.

I can also finish a book and begin a new one in two seconds or less. Win win!

Yes, Kindles were made for cruising! I've had several versions since 2009, and they've all been cruising with me. I can't tell you the last time I bought a real book, but I can tell you the last time I read one...2013 from the library of Enchantment of the Seas. My Kindle died in the middle of reading on Coco Cay! It was only day 2, and I am one of those multiple books on a cruise reader, so I needed something lol.

E-readers are fine, especially when traveling, but will never replace a real book. Just don’t have the same “magic”!

I agree completely. I love paperbacks. I had a huge collection, and even series of kids's books/authors I treasured and wanted my children to grow up reading.

HAD being the operative word. I still love books but...

A few years ago my mother gave me a Kobo on my birthday. I didn't want to like it but discovered it was lighter and easier on my wrists. That was the first step to conversion. Then discovering I don't need to pack & haul 3 or 4 books with me when I go away. Then my Kobo broke and I purchased a Kindlepaper white with a backlight feature so I can read it at night without bothering my sleeping husband with my needing a light on in the room.

Then the day came when I went to my personal basement library to search out a book I wanted to re-read (for the umpteenth time) and discovered my eyes have betrayed me! Sad to say, most of my beloved paperbacks (especially my older sci-fi/fantasy collection of Heinlein, Asimov and others) have tiny print which now give me a headache to even try and read.

I ended up getting the books in e-format instead and a few months ago boxed up almost an entire bookcase of series and donated them to the library. It hurt to give them away but I can't read them and my kids just don't want to... Once I get another bookcase in e-format, that will be given away as well.

The one thing lacking in my e-reader is COLOR. I don't want internet access with it. But I would love to have my book covers in COLOR again. Along with the backcover.

I understand those that prefer "real" books, but given that bookstores are going out of business all over it isn't easy to read only traditional books. If I want a physical book I will occasionally buy from Amazon, but for the most part use my public library to borrow e and physical books. When Borders was down the street I spent about $300-$400/month on books so this has been a financial win for me, but I do miss the days when my vacation routine was to purchase seven or eight new books to take on each vacation. I've never seen anything in a ship's stores that I would want to purchase...sort of annoying, since airport stores often have great choices.

I resisted getting a kindle when they first became popular.. My dgs wanted one, I bought it for him along with replacement insurance. He broke the screen and the insurance replaced the whole kindle and said I could keep the broken one. I put a screen protector on it and started using it myself. Hooked! Now I have the kindle app on my phone, on my iPad and have a kindle fire hd. Never without a book, and love that they all sync so I never lose my place among the three.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree completely. I love paperbacks. I had a huge collection, and even series of kids's books/authors I treasured and wanted my children to grow up reading.

HAD being the operative word. I still love books but...

A few years ago my mother gave me a Kobo on my birthday. I didn't want to like it but discovered it was lighter and easier on my wrists. That was the first step to conversion. Then discovering I don't need to pack & haul 3 or 4 books with me when I go away. Then my Kobo broke and I purchased a Kindlepaper white with a backlight feature so I can read it at night without bothering my sleeping husband with my needing a light on in the room.

Then the day came when I went to my personal basement library to search out a book I wanted to re-read (for the umpteenth time) and discovered my eyes have betrayed me! Sad to say, most of my beloved paperbacks (especially my older sci-fi/fantasy collection of Heinlein, Asimov and others) have tiny print which now give me a headache to even try and read.

I ended up getting the books in e-format instead and a few months ago boxed up almost an entire bookcase of series and donated them to the library. It hurt to give them away but I can't read them and my kids just don't want to... Once I get another bookcase in e-format, that will be given away as well.

The one thing lacking in my e-reader is COLOR. I don't want internet access with it. But I would love to have my book covers in COLOR again. Along with the backcover.

My Nook Color has beautiful covers

Wish my Kindle did. However, the Kindle app has all the covers in color, so I can at least see them there.