What food is a must not miss.

robindina

We are getting off the Dream tomorrow. We did not try the bbq or the pizza so I can’t remark on those. My hubby tried the burger and was disappointed in it because it was really over cooked to the point of being burnt in places. Fries were good though. Everything we had at the Lido was great. And I loved the Mongolian Wok. Really wish I had eaten there more than once. We’ve sailed Carnival (second time this cruise), HAL, and Princess, and I can say unequivocally that Carnival’s food is the best of those three. It amazes me how they can serve the quality food they do to such a large number of people (3600+ pax on this ship). I would say try everything you can. I bet you’ll enjoy most of it and come away with some new favorites. Have a great cruise!

Here are 2 choices that I've enjoyed the last couple of years.

1. CMCAke

2. Scallop appetizer

That's about it for me, but I haven't been on the "Big Boats" yet.

There hasnt been anything that tells my taste buds "OH, I gotta have _________!!" I find the food ok, but not a major reason why I love cruising. But, hey I do look forward to just kicking back and being waited on for a week!

Bobbi

Went on valor in October and again in November 2017. I always enjoy the grilled pork chop but the best one is at brunch. The one at dinner in mdr is good if you can't decide on anything else. Shrimp tacos are good at blue iguana . Fresh made omelettes are another must have from lido and add bacon from the buffet line. The steakhouse on the valor is a must at least once. 35.00 and well worth every penny. We had crab cake appetizer, and some of our party had entrees such as lamb chops, lobster and shrimp ravioli . The steakhouse demonstration held the first sea day will give you the best samples in the world of mushroom soup, chicken breast with potatoes, Mac and cheese and a bacon blue cheese salad and a tiramisu for dessert. The demo is free, starts right on time at noon and fills up fast. Everyone will receive samples of this meal. On the five day valor in October, I had a bbq flatbread that was awesome, and quite a surprise that I chose because I wanted something light. Guys burgers and Mongolian wok were also places we visited but nothing different to report, always good.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Short ribs in MDR. They are FABULOUS and I am a very picky "meat eater." Lido lunch buffet: any meat in gravy: pot roast, etc. Their gravy is phenomenal. Slap some mashed potatoes on your plate to soak up the extra! Chocolate chip cookies from Sweet Spot. YUMMMMMMM, best things on the planet earth!

The Fish Tacos at Blue Iguana were great IMO. I'd dress them with lettuce and pico de gallo, YUMMY! That's the only thing I'm gonna miss while on the Miracle this May.

At the Seaday Brunch, the Steak and Eggs is a must, I had it twice and it was really good both times.

At dinner, The escargot was really good, first time ever trying it and I would recommend trying it to any adventurous eater. It's included, so why not?

Most everything I ate was good, but those are my top three from my most recent cruise.

I forgot about the Greek salad in the main dining room. I look for that on every 7-day+ cruise. I think it only shows up once per rotation, but I absolutely love it.

When we sailed the Valor it didn't have Guy's. I believe it does now, so I'd recommend giving them a try. The burger is reminiscent of Smashburger and has good flavor. The toppings bar has a lot of things you can add to your burger to further personalize it. The donkey sauce is pretty good.[/quote

Got off Pride last Sunday. They had the Greek salad twice at the lunch buffet. Not with the regular salad bar, rather with the cole slaw and potato salad. Oatmeal at breakfast buffet is great too! Sprinkle some brown sugar on top and let it melt....;)

A few others that haven't been mentioned yet are the lamb shanks in MDR, it doesn't mentire it on the menu bUT I detect a subtle hin of curry. There is something that comes with the salmon on seaday brunch...not sure what is but if you like dressing, you'll love it....I could make a meal out of that! The spring rolls are very good! And for some reason I love the potato salad.

Getting hungry now lol! Four weeks to go before I get my fill of all of the above!

Lots of must-do food items on this class of ship, for me anyway....

• Mongolian Wok. Free. Try to get there early and beat the lines if possible, although I'm willing to wait because I'm a Mongolian BBQ fiend. Fresh-made and cooked for you right there...which explains the wait.
  • Glad someone mentioned the short ribs in the MDR. They really ARE good. They may also be offered on the Lido buffet the same night; sometimes they do that with MDR entrees.
  • Also in the MDR...DO try the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake. Carnival is so well-known for this dessert that they've put their name on it. (And the recipe is included on your brochure when you take the Behind the Fun ship tour :) )
  • Guy's Burger Joint. Free. Try it; most people like 'em. I try to limit myself to two per cruise. There may be lines but they often move quickly. Note that they will often have two lines and the one "away" from the pool side may be shorter.
  • Ol' Fashioned Barbecue. Free. This is above the Lido buffet on Deck 10 and is often overlooked. Not the best BBQ in the world but it's far from the worst, and I liked it. Pulled pork and beef brisket was the best IMO.
  • Sea Day Brunch in the MDR. Free. One of the best-kept secrets of the cruise line since most folks just go to the Lido for breakfast. Steak and eggs was excellent.
  • Blue Iguana Cantina. Free. I'm not a fan of overly spicy foods but no worries here; they make your burrito or tacos just the way you want 'em. They also do breakfast burritos and since it's not widely known, the line tends to be short. Great alternative to Lido buffet breakfast madness.
  • Pizza Pirate. Free. 24 hours. They really improved the pizza when they made this changeover, and it's SO much better than the free pizza on Royal. It's thin-crust but very good and they normally give you an entire half of a pie. They may also offer an expanded menu there between 11pm and 1 am; if they do, try the lasagna. Meaty and really good.

Alas, the Deli (open 11 am to 11 pm and free) is probably only using pre-made sandwiches now; otherwise I'd have recommended their hot dogs and pastrami reubens.

Well, you'll have to try the chocolate melting cake and decide if it's something you like. The pizza is fabulous, particularly the Quatro Formaggi. As for the rest, many of my favorites have either disappeared entirely or been replaced with recipes that render the original dish so different I no longer look forward to it.

I love the Quatro Formaggi as well but I have them put pepperoni on it as well. Scrumptious. :hearteyes:

I also recommend the lamb shanks. Fall off the bone tender and a great flavor. Just about anything in the steak house.

I know I'm in the minority but I also love the potato salad and coleslaw, in the Lido.

Take care,

Mike

I have only cruised Carnival once, so I don’t have a lot of experience with their food, but I have to admit I was completely underwhelmed with the MDR dinners I had. On the other hand, seaday brunch was delicious (and I am not a brunch person). Everything, our group ordered. The eggs Benedict, the Frosted Flakes crusted French toast, the deviled chicken dish, even the fruit platter was wonderful. I kept thinking, why can’t they get dinner right? We also loved guys burgers and the omelets at the outdoor taco area. Frankly, the best place in tne ship was the Alchemy bar, but they don’t serve food there 😜