P&O in 5 years time

simonpjd

So in 5 years time the P&O fleet is likely to be the two new mega ships, Britannia, Azura and Ventura and maybe Arcadia.

No smaller ships at all. Big ships going to big ports.

For how many of us will this be a big NO and we will have to hunt around for a proper cruise experience. And this will cost us more but that is down to us.

On the other hand how many of us think actually this sounds fantastic, I can imagine it appealing to families a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The majority of passengers I have spoken to are not in favour of mega ships. Lots of reasons but the main gripe is about the time it will take to embark and disembark at ports of call. Also the majority of stops will be at container ports. If you have a mobility problem its bad enough now getting a shuttle bus so what is it going to be like with 5,000 passengers?

I think P and O are going to lose a lot of customers who will change to companies with smaller ships such as Fred Olsen who actually berth at ports where you do not need shuttle buses.

Anyone out there who agrees with me?

So in 5 years time the P&O fleet is likely to be the two new mega ships, Britannia, Azura and Ventura and maybe Arcadia.

For how many of us will this be a big NO and we will have to hunt around for a proper cruise experience. And this will cost us more but that is down to us.

On the other hand how many of us think actually this sounds fantastic, I can imagine it appealing to families a lot.

I think this may be the time we look elsewhere. Although 'smaller' ships, we actually find that Oceana, Oriana, Aurora and Arcadia are more spacious - we don't have problems getting seats in bars or into venues. I think the trouble with very large ships is that there is an assumption that passengers will be reasonably well dispersed between all the public areas which in my experience isn't the case and there is often a great deal of pressure on specific venues at certain times.

I suppose it depends on what you enjoy doing on board - we like going to the shows. The medium size ships seem to be able to accommodate the pax load in two performances/night which we didn't find to be the case on say, Azura.

I'm sure it will be popular for some and especially families who may tend to look for a more varied experience and multiple venues on board but sadly, that's not for us. If P&O's fleet has reduced mid size ships to one, that means Arcadia (if that remains) will also be expensive as those, who like us, may prefer that size will have no choice. Supply and demand - I can see Arcadia being very expensive!

PS Just read your post hollyjess. Yes I do agree!

Your prediction may be correct and I agree that if it is, many P&O stalwarts may look elsewhere, but let’s not forget that it is just a guess. P&O may have other plans. It is possible that what are now mid size ships i.e Azura and Ventura may be sold leaving the smaller ones (possibly minus Oriana) and the large ones in the fleet. We just don’t know. Whatever they do (if anything), they are not likely to intentionally jeopardise the profitability of the company by getting rid of a sizeable proportion of their passengers and income

I think that Aurora will also be going strong in five years time, so with Arcadia I think there are likely to be two smaller ships. It is also possible that Oceana may be around but also a possibility that she may be sent 'down under' to join her sisters who are already there.

My experience is the same as Kruzseeka, in that the one cruise I have taken on Azura, I found her to be incredibly crowded both inside and out. I got fed up walking all the way from the Playhouse for instance to Manhattan, only to find it impossible to get a seat. I found all venues to be so busy that getting a seat was impossible and also had to wander the decks for ages to find a lounger to lie on,

I find the smaller ships to have a much better flow and never have much of a problem getting a seat.

I understand why P&O are taking the direction they are (with of course a considerable push from Carnival Corporation). I think they are now looking 10 - 15 years ahead when many of their loyal long-term pax may be getting too old to travel. Consequently they are trying to attract a much younger crowd who perhaps mostly want more alternatives on board and more to hold their attention. Should P&O discard all their smaller ships whilst I am still able to cruise, I would be taking my custom to Fred Olsen or - finances permitting - Saga or Cunard.

Edited by Britboys
typo

Aurora has just as many problems with overcrowding trying to find a seat in Carmens and the problem of people rushing there first sitting dinner or going without dessert and coffee to queue for the 8-30pm show which can be half way down the ship.

P&O are after what used to be the “package holiday” market and cruises have changed, cheapened and many would say gone down market in the process. I can see the time coming when ships don’t call at ports at all and provide all that the new cruise market wants aboard. If we want a small ship experience in the future forget P&O.

David.

We will always opt for smaller to mid sized ship's, we enjoy the relaxed atmosphere they offer. That is without the hustle bustle of the all singing dancing entertainment like wave machines, climbing wall, go carts etc ect etc. We ultimately go on a cruise, to cruise, relax , eat, drink watch a few shows and visit interesting ports. Traditional cruising at its best I suppose. Not all changes are good ones, although that is just my opinion of course.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Forums mobile app

The problem is that ever since Aurora every ship P&O has had new has been a ship design already in existence, far cheaper than having to start with a blank sheet. This means that they can only have what Is available. Looking at ships due to be built in the next 2 years worldwide they are all 100,000+ with many much more. Building a ship from scratch is very expensive and unlikely to happen.

A solution may be to take say Aurora out of action for 3 to 6 month and do a full revamp with new engines etc. That may be cheaper than a new build and extend the life of the ship say by 20 years.

Would P&O be allowed to do that.

.... Looking at ships due to be built in the next 2 years worldwide they are all 100,000+ with many much more. Building a ship from scratch is very expensive and unlikely to happen...

I think that just needs to be qualified by adding "for mainstream cruise lines" Dai. Viking Cruises have built a series of ships from scratch that are 48,000 tons and Saga introduce a new ship next year of 50,000 tons. It is really Carnival, RCI and NCL that have spearheaded the meg-size ships.

I think that just needs to be qualified by adding "for mainstream cruise lines" Dai. Viking Cruises have built a series of ships from scratch that are 48,000 tons and Saga introduce a new ship next year of 50,000 tons. It is really Carnival, RCI and NCL that have spearheaded the meg-size ships.

You miss my point the follow on order would have to be a Carnival brand.

The majority of passengers I have spoken to are not in favour of mega ships. Lots of reasons but the main gripe is about the time it will take to embark and disembark at ports of call. Also the majority of stops will be at container ports. If you have a mobility problem its bad enough now getting a shuttle bus so what is it going to be like with 5,000 passengers?

I think P and O are going to lose a lot of customers who will change to companies with smaller ships such as Fred Olsen who actually berth at ports where you do not need shuttle buses.

Anyone out there who agrees with me?

Totally agree. I went on my first pando cruise last year. I just didn't want to go on a large ship , even Arcadia was a bit big for me. However I am mobile and didn't always use the shuttle buses -walked into Skagen, Tallinn , Copenhagen but it would put me off completely if the ship was any larger than 2,500.

I do like river cruises for this reason but of course they are nearly twice the price. Smaller is beautiful for me.

Perhaps the larger ships will appeal more to younger cruisers and families but not for me.

I don't mind the larger ships but would not want them all tl be family ships as they are unbearable during holiday periods. Would like to see some adult only ships in the future.

But this is just the problem, the adult only market is not big enough to fill a large ship. An Adonia size new build with possibly double the fares and the service to match could be a success, but this is not P&O’s market, they have opted for “stack em high see them fly”. Traditional cruisers need to move on - there are other lines than P&O or Carnival.

David

It is pretty irrelevant what people here want or think as P&O have committed.

Take a look at Carnival's brands - Carnival, Princess, Holland America, Seabourn, Cunard, Aida, Costa, P&O (UK and Australia), and Fathom.

P&O is aiming for the mass market 'British' consumer not the upper end which they will push in steps to Princess, Cunard, and Seabourn.

If you are aiming at that market then price is everything. Smaller ships = Higher operating costs and higher fares.

Their aim will be to operate at maximum occupancy, so there is no way they would limit their potential customer by excluding children.

The same with other features such as a dress code. Whilst it attracts customers it stays, but as soon as it turns off more than it attracts then it goes.

We have been on quite a few different size ships. Our smallest was Silver Wind, a mere 245 pax and the largest was Independence of the Seas carrying lots more than most P and O ships. Silver wind was too small and IOS was too big. However IOS worked very well for families. The children's pool area was very good as was the climbing wall and the ice rink with fantastic ice shows. If P and O ramp up the attractions for families with children than they just might have a winner. If they stick to the bland and boring model they have used on Britannia then they are backing a looser.

Peter and Jenny

With the seemingly ever expanding cruise market, Carnival will surely want more cabins and more customers to fill them. They are probably thinking that those new customers will not come in the form of traditional crusers (like me) but, as had been suggested, from the 'package holiday' market where people are looking for more upmarket, all inclusive, holidays that cruising is so good at providing. I just hope that they will continue to provide for those of us who like to sail to and from the UK, prefer traditional entertainment and like getting dressed for dinner and so on.

You miss my point the follow on order would have to be a Carnival brand.

No I didn't miss your point Dai and don't disagree with it. I just felt that your statement "Looking at ships due to be built in the next 2 years worldwide they are all 100,000+ with many much more." Using the term 'worldwide' could be misconstrued to mean that no-one, anywhere, builds smaller ships any more.

I've never wanted to try the larger ships. Even the Azura or Ventura has never appealed to me. We like the medium sized ships and they offer the sort of cruise we enjoy. I can see as everyone else can that P&O are building bigger ships to appeal to younger people who want more than a traditional type of cruise. I think it's a shame and I do think it will be a mistake if P&O end up with only mega ships. :(

The mega ships are great, and the way forward.

If you want the small, gas guzzlers, then change your cruiseline, but leave the mega ships alone.

I've never wanted to try the larger ships. Even the Azura or Ventura has never appealed to me. We like the medium sized ships and they offer the sort of cruise we enjoy. I can see as everyone else can that P&O are building bigger ships to appeal to younger people who want more than a traditional type of cruise. I think it's a shame and I do think it will be a mistake if P&O end up with only mega ships. :(

I feel the same way. There's also the point that the bigger ships are going to be more limited in their itineraries. As well as needing to tender at more ports, they aren't going to be able to use the Panama Canal and, in the case of the two new mega-ships, I wonder if they will fit through the Suez Canal either.

The mega ships are great, and the way forward.

If you want the small, gas guzzlers, then change your cruiseline, but leave the mega ships alone.

I really don't think you have to worry. Stack em high sell em cheap is obviously the way P&O are going. Enjoy:rolleyes:

This is a difficult one. We prefer the Select dining restaurants and more modern cabins and facilities offered by Britannia, but find that we have a better overall cruise experience on the smaller ships, where the itineraries and passenger profile suits us better. We find that Azura and Ventura don’t excel in either.

We have only done 14 cruises with P&O but are already finding most of the itineraries to be quite repetitive (we only do round trips from the U.K.), a problem that will only worsen with the new ships as they will be very restricted as to where they can go. We also have a problem with tender ports as my wife is unable to leave the ship due to disability and I get irritated as I find that they are often poorly organised.

We shall definitely try each of the new ships but fear that the eventual demise of the smaller P&O ships may see us switch allegiance to another operator. The luxury brands definitely appeal, but as we are restricted to UK round trips suspect that our options will be limited to Fred Olsen, as CMV is a bit too ‘budget’ and I can’t convince my better half that we should even entertain a Saga Cruise (their new ships look lovely, but they are very expensive for a non-premium product).

I definitely won't be trying the new ships. We tried Azura and just like Britboys, found it horribly crowded, lines getting back on board. So once Oriana, Aurora and Arcadia go, if they do, we will look elsewhere. We sail with Fred from time to time. I prefer P&O, but needs must.

We have just reached the dizzy heights of Caribbean status with P&O but it seems to have come too late for us to enjoy. We have the Christmas trip booked on Oriana this year but think this will be the end for us with P&O as we don't particularly like the idea of the larger ships coming on-line shortly.

Think it's time to save as somebody else has said previously and travel with somebody else at a more expensive price but on a smaller sized vessel. "Butlins at sea" springs to mind.