Question for those who DO think we should dress nice in the MDR

famof4togo

We too like to dress up a bit for dinner. Our son has a firm rule.... in the stateroom at appointed time showered and changed into pants and a collared shirt... could be golf, could be polo, could be dress. His choice. Elegant evenings suit and tie ( he likes bow ties!) lol. Our choice and it works for us. If you go to steakhouse he must have pants 😀 Ours loved it he says they're escargot was the best he ever had!

Ok serious question... What's the difference in a golf shirt and a polo shirt? I don't play golf so I legit do not know. I've always thought golfers wore polo shirts? :confused::o

Yea I am as casual as anybody but on Cruise Elegant nights I like to ensure I am wearing at least a collared long sleeved button up shirt with a nice pair of dress slacks at minimum. Maybe wear a vest or tie as well but not mandatory.

Other MDR nights I might go polo shirt with dress shorts or jeans. I am in the Caribbean, as long as I am dressed in non athletic apparel I feel very comfortable.

I'm old school (although I'm young ;-) Come on, it's just a few days. Dress up and make great memories and pictures. For many people. life is constantly "casual". Make it special these few days. He'll get lots of compliments and who knows - it may inspire him as he gets older and wouldn't it be great if he set a trend to dress nicer than what we see in every day life now!

To quote ZZ Top, every girl crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man!

I'm old school (although I'm young ;-) Come on, it's just a few days. Dress up and make great memories and pictures. For many people. life is constantly "casual". Make it special these few days. He'll get lots of compliments and who knows - it may inspire him as he gets older and wouldn't it be great if he set a trend to dress nicer than what we see in every day life now!

Carnival stopped doing things to make it special. That's on them.

Ok serious question... What's the difference in a golf shirt and a polo shirt? I don't play golf so I legit do not know. I've always thought golfers wore polo shirts? :confused::o

I call the short sleeve casual button up shirts polos versus the T-shirt half button up golf shirts lol but I’m really not sure if there’s a difference [emoji3]lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Polo is a brand and a golf shirt is a style. Golf shirts have collars and usually short sleeved.

My 18 yr old and dh both wears chino shorts in the summer,now dh does wear pants to MDR. DS could dress up his chinos with a nice dress shirt and loafers. I don't see a problem with this at all. Now that my ds is in love with himself he probably will wear chino pants, or crop chinos with a button down and loafers. I am only focused on my dinner with my family.

I am of the mindset that we should dress up a bit for the MDR....so for those of you who are like-minded...

Can a 7 year old wear shorts on NON formal night? He will be wearing formal attire on the formal nights...but for the non formal nights...can he wear shorts? I don't mean technically I mean should he wear shorts I guess...now please note, I have no intension of sending him in like a t-shirt and jean shorts etc...but he has several outfits that have matching shorts with a collared or button down shirt....and I can't quite figure out if they are appropriate or not...I would have him wear these outfits to a casual church or picture day at school etc...so again, nice shorts...

Options please, but fingers crossed not the next great debate on MDR attire...

THANKS in advance.....

We haven't sailed with our children yet, but my husband and I do like to dress up a little for dinner. I think on cruise casual evenings your son would be fine in shorts and still in the spirit of dressing for dinner. If you feel it's good enough for church I think it is good enough for casual, seated dinner.

Officially, no difference in general. See this for some details:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polo_shirt

But in my experience:

Polo shirts are tailored to fit relatively closely, and despite the name, as not really suited to any sport-like activity for most people.

Golf shirts have a looser fit, to allow full range of motion during a golf swing with no binding.

Or, how I think of it in practice for me: when I was younger and fitter, a polo shirt looked good on me. Now, the "looser fit" golf shirt seems more appropriate.

I'm old period. I don't need any more memories as I can't remember half of them as it is.

And for many life is constantly dress up for work so they welcome the chance to dress more casual.

I don't need any inspiration to dress nicer every day either but thanks for the suggestions.:)

Bill

I'm old school too. My rule for my son (12) is slacks and a polo at a minimum. The truth is that it is so cold in there what I really have to fight him on is not wearing a sweatshirt. I wear a dress, minimum. I think of it as what I would wear to dinner at a nice resteraunt. Not Outback. A nice resteraunt. I do think Carnival rules allow for what one would wear to Outback, but mommy rules do not ;) A toddler in a matching shorts outfit would be fine in my book but anything older than that gets pants. Elegant night is a few steps above that normal but I'm not dragging a ball gown along!

Only you can decide what an acceptable level of decorum for you and your family is. No matter how much people go back and forth on the dress issue, that's what it comes down to. The "rules" specify what one "can" do. They do not specify in any way what is acceptable to anyone in any way.

On the one hand, you have the people saying "we're on vacation, it's a casual environment, it's not a Michelin-rated restaurant". But on the other hand, you have people who were raised to wear pants (not shorts, pants) to supper even in their own home because they believe it's the appropriate thing to do. Neither camp will ever convince the other camp to change their minds.

So your answer is simple - dress your boy in a manner that YOU think is appropriate for dining out, whatever level that happens to be for you.

Thanks everyone !!! I was discussing it with my hubby last night and we decided this will be the last year (due to age) that we will let shorts fly...any older (aka next cruise) I too agree he will need to be in slacks like his dad.