Question for those who DO think we should dress nice in the MDR

famof4togo

I am of the mindset that we should dress up a bit for the MDR....so for those of you who are like-minded...

Can a 7 year old wear shorts on NON formal night? He will be wearing formal attire on the formal nights...but for the non formal nights...can he wear shorts? I don't mean technically I mean should he wear shorts I guess...now please note, I have no intension of sending him in like a t-shirt and jean shorts etc...but he has several outfits that have matching shorts with a collared or button down shirt....and I can't quite figure out if they are appropriate or not...I would have him wear these outfits to a casual church or picture day at school etc...so again, nice shorts...

Options please, but fingers crossed not the next great debate on MDR attire...

THANKS in advance.....

Nice shorts can be worn any non-formal night by a person of any age. That's what I wear on non-formal nights and I'm definitely over 7 years of age.

I would vote not personally. I think men should wear long pants for the dining room and include the little boys in that

While I do not disagree with your personal preference, you preference is not aligned with Carnival's dress code. Nice shorts, on non-formal nights, is perfectly acceptable.

NO I get the technical answer (as indicated in original post) I wanted peoples personal opinion's on the matter as I am on the fence about it myself...it was my fault to say "can they" instead of "should they"

If you know the "technical answer" why are you worried about someone else's personal opinion (the opinion of someone you don't even know)? :rolleyes:

If you know the "technical answer" why are you worried about someone else's personal opinion (the opinion of someone you don't even know)? :rolleyes:

Maybe she wants to poll what is acceptable and is starting with a small part of the cruise population here. Not everyone feels its a good thing to stand out and relishes the mindset of “oh goodie, i have annoyed strangers, i love it” Maybe fam values the opinions of strangers and their advice. I personally think its a good idea that she started the post to get feedback

Maybe she wants to poll what is acceptable and is starting with a small part of the cruise population here. Not everyone feels its a good thing to stand out and relishes the mindset of “oh goodie, i have annoyed strangers, i love it” Maybe fam values the opinions of strangers and their advice. I personally think its a good idea that she started the post to get feedback

I chalk a lot of these threads up to "Yeah, I read the rules, FAQ, etc....and I understand them BUT can I get a real-life example from someone who did or wanted to do what I did just to make sure."

All they need to know with regards to their question is that THOUSANDS of kids (and adults) have worn shorts into the dining room on non-elegant nights with no issues whatsoever.

I am of the mindset that we should dress up a bit for the MDR....so for those of you who are like-minded...

Can a 7 year old wear shorts on NON formal night? He will be wearing formal attire on the formal nights...but for the non formal nights...can he wear shorts? I don't mean technically I mean should he wear shorts I guess...now please note, I have no intension of sending him in like a t-shirt and jean shorts etc...but he has several outfits that have matching shorts with a collared or button down shirt....and I can't quite figure out if they are appropriate or not...I would have him wear these outfits to a casual church or picture day at school etc...so again, nice shorts...

Options please, but fingers crossed not the next great debate on MDR attire...

THANKS in advance.....

Shorts are fine on any night.

A pair of Dockers is sooooo heavy and takes up so much space [emoji849]

My husband likes Tommy Bahama dressy shorts and pants. Those and a nice button down short sleeve shirt ( T. Bahama, Reyn Spooner, etc). I have always sent these clothes to the dry cleaners, even polo shirts, he looks very nice. No sneakers or flip flops either. Just my 2 cents ...:).

Bobbi

I am much the same as the OP. I don’t care what others wear and have no problem with Carnival’s rules. I do prefer my family dress up a little for dinner in the MDR. Khakis and polos on most nights and suits/ties on elegant. But when my sons were under 9 or 10 I would allow shorts like the OP is asking about. Now they are older I do not allow them to wear shirts. On a 4 day I did allow jeans for my teens but didn’t really like it.

How is you stand out by following their suggestions?:confused:

Bill

NO I get the technical answer (as indicated in original post) I wanted peoples personal opinion's on the matter as I am on the fence about it myself...it was my fault to say "can they" instead of "should they"

You WORRY to much on what people think.... You are there to have fun!!

Dress your son comfortable to PLEASE YOU and not OTHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am much the same as the OP. I don’t care what others wear and have no problem with Carnival’s rules. I do prefer my family dress up a little for dinner in the MDR. Khakis and polos on most nights and suits/ties on elegant. But when my sons were under 9 or 10 I would allow shorts like the OP is asking about. Now they are older I do not allow them to wear shirts. On a 4 day I did allow jeans for my teens but didn’t really like it.

Despite all of the back and forth on what people think other people should wear to dinner, I think the one thing we all agree on is, no shirt, no shoes, no service. You have to wear shirt and shoes. :')

A pair of Dockers is sooooo heavy and takes up so much space [emoji849]

I get it. However, with a 40 lb suitcase weight limit on the airlines, I hit it every time. A dress shirt, undershirt, tie, dress socks, dress pants, and dress shoes that I wouldn't have otherwise worn certainly doesn't help.

It's a pretty straightforward concept. You pack light. You wouldn't bring stuff that you don't want to use. I respect the guidelines in place and agree with stuff like no cutoffs. I'm just not an elegant dress fan, especially on a cruise. I don't think of dress clothes on a warm, musty ship as relaxation.

We too like to dress up a bit for dinner. Our son has a firm rule.... in the stateroom at appointed time showered and changed into pants and a collared shirt... could be golf, could be polo, could be dress. His choice. Elegant evenings suit and tie ( he likes bow ties!) lol. Our choice and it works for us. If you go to steakhouse he must have pants 😀 Ours loved it he says they're escargot was the best he ever had!