Anyone tried to bring a DVR on vista?

May1cruiser

Anyone tried to bring a DVR on vista?

Don't bother. There's no input for connecting a DVR to the TV. If you must have something to watch movies in your cabin, I'd suggest purchasing a portable DVD player. You can find them at Best Buy, Amazon, and a few other places.

The title says it all. I am wondering if we can bring our own source of video and connect with the TV?

I cannot stand not having a source for regular Tv.

Am I reading this right? You are going on vacation, and you can't get away from TV? You know the DVR needs to also be hooked to a cable jack, and there aren't any cables running behind the ship. Just a suggestion. Your on vacation, so get out of your stateroom, get entertained by the live shows, music etc. TV can be an addiction also, so try it for a few days, where you go without. Unlike other addictions, there aren't any physical side affects. Worst case scenario, when in port, get off the ship quickly and find a bar with a TV.

Am I reading this right? You are going on vacation, and you can't get away from TV? You know the DVR needs to also be hooked to a cable jack, and there aren't any cables running behind the ship. Just a suggestion. Your on vacation, so get out of your stateroom, get entertained by the live shows, music etc. TV can be an addiction also, so try it for a few days, where you go without. Unlike other addictions, there aren't any physical side affects. Worst case scenario, when in port, get off the ship quickly and find a bar with a TV.

....or you could mind your business and let them do what they enjoy which may be completely different from you. So you could just answer the question they asked, move on, or better yet post what your cruise habits are so we can destroy them.

In this case it would be no. The televisions are blocked from switching inputs

And who makes you the authority on what is or is not important to someone. I personally never drink, so because so many go on cruises to drink themselves silly..is that something I should disparage them for? For me, being drunk on my vacation is a waste...so what?

As far as TV goes, I also personally enjoy going back to my room for an hour or so in the afternoon to get away and watch something, and at night before bed.

I have AT and T and can watch my cable on any internet device, so I wonder if that would work ok with their internet package?

TV ports are blocked, and DVRs do not function without a ping from the mothership / cable company when they power up, so you cannot use them in a portable fashion. (Which at home means if you lose power and cable at the same time, and power gets restored but not cable, you cannot watch any of your recordings until cable gets restored.)

So you are stopped by both source and destination from this idea, sorry. Best to bring a portable DVD player or a tablet-type device with movies already pre-loaded.

Been discussed numerous times on other threads..... Bottom line ...NO... Ports not active/blocked

I always been able to plug my camera into the Video and Audio IN and select it on the menu on most TVs, not the remote?? I have also found that the newer flat screens offer HDMI ports, and once again selectable via the TV menu, not the remote.

Mostly I use the ports for viewing the pics from our cameras, but since they have the HDMI port available now, I may bring some DVDs and a tablet or player for the longer cruises. The movies on the TV channels are repeated, so on bad weather days... or Nassau/Freeport, a DVD movie may be just be the ticket.

Let me start by saying, I agree that people can do whatever they want on a cruise, it is their cruise.

I am very interested though in the reasoning of people who seem to do things on a cruise that they can do on land much cheaper. If you like just reading a book, watching TV, drinking to excess, playing cards, working on a puzzle. Why spend the money on a cruise to do this?

I have AT and T and can watch my cable on any internet device, so I wonder if that would work ok with their internet package?

Essentially no: the Internet packages Carnival offer are not up to streaming video. Carnival states the following about their premium package:

Does not support video and music streaming (such as Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, Pandora).

Also, I'm not sure if AT&T would recognize an attempt to access their content via the complex "network" that is satcom (might be too many proxies, with out-of-country IP addresses on the relays).

I always been able to plug my camera into the Video and Audio IN and select it on the menu on most TVs, not the remote?? I have also found that the newer flat screens offer HDMI ports, and once again selectable via the TV menu, not the remote.

Mostly I use the ports for viewing the pics from our cameras, but since they have the HDMI port available now, I may bring some DVDs and a tablet or player for the longer cruises. The movies on the TV channels are repeated, so on bad weather days... or Nassau/Freeport, a DVD movie may be just be the ticket.

Interesting, Carnival claims the (spare) input ports on their (non-suite) in-cabin TVs are disabled:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2789/kw/television

Connecting Personal Devices to Stateroom TV's

Guests are not permitted to connect Digital Cameras/Camcorders, DVDs/VCRs, USB sticks, iPods, Nintendo/X-Box Play units with the television in the staterooms; all connection ports are disabled.

In Suite accommodations only, guests are able to connect their own DVD/video source through the television using an audio/video input plate; guests must supply their own RCA connection cables.

Let me start by saying, I agree that people can do whatever they want on a cruise, it is their cruise.

I am very interested though in the reasoning of people who seem to do things on a cruise that they can do on land much cheaper. If you like just reading a book, watching TV, drinking to excess, playing cards, working on a puzzle. Why spend the money on a cruise to do this?

Your question is valid, and here is my response. IMHO, YMMV, obviously:

Because I may not be able to do those things as easily back home. Or I might not be able to do them at all (i.e. drink all day) because of other daily obligations that interfere, or would "cramp my style, man".

Or because reading a book on a balcony overlooking the ocean is something I cannot do at home at all! Maybe if I owned a beach-front condo, but I don't...

Interesting, Carnival claims the (spare) input ports on their (non-suite) in-cabin TVs are disabled:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2789/kw/television

Also Interesting! I have never seen the above restriction in my cruise documents? If the suites can do it, why not the rest of the guests? A needless restriction, since most guests don't try to connect to the TV, or "think" they can't.:)

As a side note, 90% of the hotels we stay in always have the ports available, either on the TV or a Wall Connector plate. Again, usually you have to select the inputs via the TV menu, not the remote.

BTW, nobody uses Rum Runners either...... they are not permitted...;)

I would imagine the reason Carnival disables (or claims to disable) the ports on TVs is to stop folks from hooking up a video game and "burning in" an image - which was a common problem on CRTs, and to a lesser extent, a less permanent issue on plasma TVs. Also, I could see people not doing it right and busting the ports or damaging the TV, as they try to reach around the back (if there are no side ports).

So to be safe I guess Carnival has tried to inhibit connections. The suites apparently have a separate port plate for connections (std video only, which now extremely limits connectable equipment!)

Maybe there are other concerns like passengers accidentally unplugging the ship-feed cable and that causing noise in the system, or hooking something up wrong and backfeeding video/signal/noise into the ship feed.

I would imagine the reason Carnival disables (or claims to disable) the ports on TVs is to stop folks from hooking up a video game and "burning in" an image - which was a common problem on CRTs, and to a lesser extent, a less permanent issue on plasma TVs. Also, I could see people not doing it right and busting the ports or damaging the TV, as they try to reach around the back (if there are no side ports).

So to be safe I guess Carnival has tried to inhibit connections. The suites apparently have a separate port plate for connections (std video only, which now extremely limits connectable equipment!)

Maybe there are other concerns like passengers accidentally unplugging the ship-feed cable and that causing noise in the system, or hooking something up wrong and backfeeding video/signal/noise into the ship feed.

Ships do not use Plasma TVs, they use too much energy. LED etc...no burn in to speak of.!!:)

Suffice to say.... The ports are there and available 'IF" you know how to use them without getting shocked or blowing up CCL video system!!:D;)

Bottom line, if they are there and available, I will always use them, especially on long cruises!:)

I just think telling people they are not there is not very different than telling what to do in their cabin!!:)

.....because I work for a living and can't spend my days reading a book with a drink in my hand. If it is my off days I usually have other obligations that also get in the way of that.

Maybe, if there's an app on your device that makes it possible to do that.

TiVo allows you to offload programs onto a PC or direct to a tablet on newer models.. You can then store them on an external hard drive or a memory card. None of the DVRs provided by cable companies can do this as far as I know. I always have something to watch no matter where I am.

I doubt that most of these people are spending 24 hours a day reading, watching tv, etc. I'm all for doing things that I can't do at home, but there's always some down time on a cruise, especially on sea days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Fair enough question. Here's my answer:

I do not go on a cruise solely to do these things. There are plenty of things that I do on a cruise that I cannot do cheaply at home, and it is for those reasons that I spend the money on a cruise. However, some of these things I enjoy regardless of the setting, and would like to do them in between the cruise-specific activities that I enjoy. For some people a cruise is also about relaxing and doing things that are enjoyable to them. What grounds does anyone have to criticize how others spend their cruise time? I see no point in getting snookered on drinks at $10 a shot, but if that's what floats your boat (intended pun) have at it.