First to board for purchase

antsp

Interesting. Makes me wonder if they will start enforcing the assigned boarding times (remember when they began enforcing the wine limit after years of having a stated limit but ignoring it at boarding)?
They weren't enforcing the wine limit earlier this month in Port Everglades. We could have consumed all four bottles we brought in our cabin. We took two to the dining room and paid the corkage there.

too make this more complicated.... I generally receive a number or letter, that they call when boarding starts, which is based on when you arrive at the port and check in... so just another way to get some money...

Next they will be charging extra to get off first...

So, per earlier posts the boarding order will be:

Wedding Party

BVE

Elite

Platinum

Full Suite and Club Class

First To Board

General

They need to change the name from "First To Board" to "Sixth To Board" or they will have unhappy passengers who paid $49 because they thought they would be first.

Wedding Party

BVE

Elite

Platinum

First To Board

General

They need to change the name from "First To Board" to "Sixth To Board" or they will have unhappy passengers who paid $49 because they thought they would be first.

I was thinking the same thing...it’s promotion is at best deceptive but in reality it’s false advertisement to call it “First To Board”.

And if they continue to pattern it after the Carnival FTTF program, $49 will be for a 2/3 day cruise & up to $80 for 8 day or longer cruises.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

I remember reading that you were doing a suite for the first time. You will love it. We done suites on quite a few of our sailings and have always enjoyed them.

Thanks! I'm nervous about a couple of things--mostly the "family meet up" in FLL the day before. It's the control freak in me; if I managed everything, it would all be right. But I'm very excited about the cruise.

Wedding Party

BVE

Elite

Platinum

First To Board

General

I think this order is wrong. Full suite passengers have boarded with Elites on the cruises we've taken.

Only on Ruby at this point... And doesn't affect Elite/Platinum benefits...

https://cruisefever.net/princess-cruises-testing-advance-boarding-pay-board-first-program/

While it may say only Ruby in the article/twitter posts - I'm on Royal, and it shows up on my cruise personalizer. Although, I get an error message when I try to "order" it..

And yes, I know as Elite I already have priority boarding - but I do want to see the actual details...

I whole heartedly agree with you! They have just so diluted our Elite benefit that we all spent so much money earning.

So true and so disheartening.

I consider that idea a slap in the face to us loyal Princess cruisers who have poured thousands of dollars into Princess coffers, and by doing so, have achieved the top tier of the loyalty program.

If it goes fleet-wide, it's nothing more than another money-grubbing ploy on the part of Princess..

I think this order is wrong. Full suite passengers have boarded with Elites on the cruises we've taken.

Yes, suites board with Elites. I have been in a WS several times and always boarded with Elites even though at the time I was not yet Elite.

I may be wrong, but is this not also a new charge? Birthday and Anniversary decorations?

We had our 30th onboard a few years ago, and Princess hung a simple sign and a couple balloons but we did not pay extra for them. This looks like more decorations (in your room and on the door), but another small way to lure money from your wallet.

But now I see this in the onboard reservations:

Birthday DecorationsCA$58.80

• 2 hanging garlands that read "time to celebrate"
  • Upgraded door sign
  • Nautical photo hanger
  • Decorative mirror cling
  • Balloons

Note: Includes decoration of the cabin by your stateroom steward. If embarkation day is selected, the room will be decorated during turn down service that evening. Timing is subject to crew availability.

Select

stateroom-decoration-anniversary-suite-200x135.jpgAnniversary DecorationsCA$58.80

• 2 hanging garlands that read "your journey together"
  • Upgraded door sign
  • Nautical photo hanger
  • Decorative mirror cling
  • Balloons

Note: Includes decoration of the cabin by your stateroom steward. If embarkation day is selected, the room will be decorated during turn down service that evening. Timing is subject to crew availability.

Wedding Party

BVE

Elite

Platinum

First To Board

General

Yes, suites board with Elites. I have been in a WS several times and always boarded with Elites even though at the time I was not yet Elite.
In San Pedro on the Ruby in November, first elite, then platinum, then BVE and then full suite and Club Class passengers were called for priority check in. I don’t know what boarding group the full suite and CC passengers were given. There were three elite boarding groups. Platinum passengers were allowed into the lounge to get snacks and drinks but then had to leave and sit in their separate area.

The one time we were in a suite before we became elite was in Seattle and we boarded with the rest of the platinum passengers. That was an Alaskan cruise and there were only about 60 elite passengers who boarded first before our platinum group.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just like Carnival’s “Faster to the Fun”! Another way to squeeze more money out of the average cruiser and diminish loyalty benefits. As a frequent cruiser on many cruise lines and once a Princess cheerleader, I find Celebrity to offer more on similar itineraries- better promos, better prices, a fee free adults only Solarium, better cabins, great entertainment and activities, on Celebrity they welcome all cruisers aboard with a glass of champagne not a gimmick to grab more money! Cutbacks abound on all cruise lines. It is sad to see the cruise experience deteriorate little by little.

Royal Caribbean has cut back more than other cruiselines with deceptive promos and expensive prices. IMHO Royal can do this because they attract younger cruisers and families who do not have a varied and long cruising history on different cruise lines. They don’t remember the good old days and have little basis for comparison. They willingly pay the inflated prices and accept the cutbacks!

Princess, please do not go the way of Carnival! Stop fee for boarding first!

Wedding Party

BVE

Elite

Platinum

First To Board

General

If this boarding order is true, and that is even assuming that they actually adhere to the boarding order....

One is really getting absolutely NOTHING for that money.

To call it 'First to Board', or to even sell this as any kind of early boarding, would not only be false advertising, but is completely ridiculous. Seems like on most sailings, way more than half the ship are going be onboard before you, no matter what.

I would pay for that in a heartbeat

That is exactly why the cruiselines keep adding more ways to charge their passengers for things that were free.

Just remember to be kind. It's not the fault of the passengers who purchase these things. Blame the cruise line.

Being kind goes without saying. However, yes, the passengers who purchase those things very much share the fault. If there was not a demand for payment of such things, the cruiselines would not offer it. See above - we already have one passenger willing to pay for getting off early. Why would cruise lines let people off early for free if they can monetize it, like they and airlines do all the time?

People may purchase such a thing for many reasons including having a child who may not handle lines or wait times very well. Honestly, this will not impact your cruise or your ability to go to the head of the line due to your status.

For the record, I'd never waste my money on anything like this.

I never said it would affect my cruise. You avoided discussing what my post was about - that passengers do indeed share the fault - for whatever reason they pay for stuff like this..

]In San Pedro on the Ruby in November' date=' first elite, then platinum, then BVE and then full suite and Club Class passengers were called for priority check in.[/b'][/color] I don’t know what boarding group theT full suite and CC passengers were given. There were three elite boarding groups. Platinum passengers were allowed into the lounge to get snacks and drinks but then had to leave and sit in their separate area...Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes - that's the way they've always done it when I've been in San Pedro with calling Elites first, before the Platinums which is as it should be IMO. Wish they'd do that in every port.

Handicapped passengers come into that list too. I think they go before everyone else or at least after the BVE/Wedding guests.

In San Pedro on the Ruby in November, first elite, then platinum, then BVE and then full suite and Club Class passengers were called for priority check in. I don’t know what boarding group the full suite and CC passengers were given. There were three elite boarding groups. Platinum passengers were allowed into the lounge to get snacks and drinks but then had to leave and sit in their separate area.

The one time we were in a suite before we became elite was in Seattle and we boarded with the rest of the platinum passengers. That was an Alaskan cruise and there were only about 60 elite passengers who boarded first before our platinum group.

We travel in suites (mostly window suites) and have always boarded with elites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fortunately for me, I prefer to maximize my time in most port cities before I board, so I tend to board late. Boarded late for my Med cruise last September (so much so that they were already tearing down most of the check in setup, but I was well before the cutoff time for check in). Not planning on boarding early for two cruises later this month either. Much prefer to spend my time exploring Sydney than sitting on the ship that is docked. Fortunately I am in the minority so my check in takes a very short time with no lines!

Agree completely.

Boarding early so I can eat lunch in the MDR holds no appeal for me - Especially paying for the privilege. For $49 I can stand in long lines, then wait in the terminal so I can board among the first several hundred ------- OR, have a nice lunch in a restaurant on shore (different from the place I'll be eating for the next X number of days), go to the port after the lines have gone away, board the ship stress-free and begin my vacation that way. :cool:

If this boarding order is true, and that is even assuming that they actually adhere to the boarding order....

One is really getting absolutely NOTHING for that money.

To call it 'First to Board', or to even sell this as any kind of early boarding, would not only be false advertising, but is completely ridiculous. Seems like on most sailings, way more than half the ship are going be onboard before you, no matter what.

The value of this new purchase will depend on the cruise. On an Alaskan cruise, it can be a great benefit. There are often over 75% of the passengers on their first cruise. That would be a lot of "general" passengers you could bypass.

There is another way to look at this. If other people are willing to pay for some of these perks, it will keep my price lower. I have no problem with other folks paying for what they want, it makes sense to be able to customize their experience, like choosing to go to specialty restaurants, buying drinks, shore excursions. Think back to when you first starting cruising, what were the fares then? For me a balcony has been in the $100ish per person per day for over 10 years, so if Princess chooses to offer folks the chance to pay for upgrades, it helps defer the costs for the rest of us. People want choice, and Princess is giving all of us a chance to customize our experience. I fully understand why this site is called cruise"critic". Cruising is the best bargain anywhere. A 3-4 star hotel, room service, maid service, going to different ports with sea days in between, good enough to great food with lots of choices and no dishes or cleaning to do. Try that anywhere on land at these prices

That is exactly why the cruiselines keep adding more ways to charge their passengers for things that were free.

Being kind goes without saying. However, yes, the passengers who purchase those things very much share the fault. If there was not a demand for payment of such things, the cruiselines would not offer it. See above - we already have one passenger willing to pay for getting off early. Why would cruise lines let people off early for free if they can monetize it, like they and airlines do all the time?

And there is nothing wrong with that. Choices are good. No one is forcing one to pay.

Yes - that's the way they've always done it when I've been in San Pedro with calling Elites first, before the Platinums which is as it should be IMO. Wish they'd do that in every port.

Handicapped passengers come into that list too. I think they go before everyone else or at least after the BVE/Wedding guests.

In 2012 in Seattle, elites boarded first followed by platinum. General boarding used a different gangplank. The same for terminal 2 in FLL in January of 2013 with platinum boarding after elites from the upper level while general boarding was from the lower level. That has been a number of years so I have no idea what they are doing now.