Is the Era of Cutbacks Over?

Host Jazzbeau

I think the slow service is due to fewer servers covering a larger area. We had a top notch head waiter, Sanyo, on Reflection. He had a few assistants working with him to cover 8, maybe more, tables of various sizes. That man ran the entire time we were there, doing his best to meet the needs of his guests. The menu is represented as three courses and the staff was cut back to save $$. We are not huge eaters, so 3 courses suit our needs - leaves room for that Cafe al Bacio dessert later in the evening.

But let's look at Cafe al Bacio. When we first started cruising, they put out lovely tea sandwiches along with the pastries in the afternoon. No more. Al Bacio is always busy, often times you have to wait for a table. Notice they don't do anything to expand the seating capacity there. They are only making $$ on coffee to passengers that don't have the drink packages.

Concierge and Aqua class passengers aren't the only ones who have to ask for the things that are supposed to be included in the cabins. We sail veranda cabins - there are no robes, unless you ask for them, soap, shampoo, conditioner is carefully rationed - you have to ask for refills. We bring our own stuff, so it doesn't matter so much to us, but it's still a cutback.

I upgraded my bev package to premium last time and won't do it again. Unless you go to the bar and instruct the bartender on how to make your drink, you get the less expensive brands.

All that said, we still prefer Celebrity over Princess, the only other line we've sailed. But I foresee a time, when we might start shopping around. We won't be sailing on the Edge any time soon, with those prices.

We have always sailed in a verandah and never once did we not have robes and the toiletries were almost always refilled promptly, possibly once or twice they were not though.

bon voyage

We have always sailed in a verandah and never once did we not have robes and the toiletries were almost always refilled promptly, possibly once or twice they were not though.

bon voyage

Ditto. Had robes last year on Reflection. Our Stateroom Attendant for our Veranda cabin was the best we’d ever had. He kept everything perfectly stocked, and always left extra supplies as well.

DH and I continue to cruise, because we love the relaxation it gives us. As I stated in my earlier post on this thread, none of the cutbacks so far have been deal breakers, and some, although unnoticeable to new cruisers, are noticed by us. Small differences to be sure, but they're there nonetheless. I have an abundance of seapass card holders from previous cruises and nice zip top tote bags, so I'll bring my old ones, but I do notice the difference. We do get our bottle of bubbly, (and exchange it) when we ask, but it was nice to have it waiting, chilled in our cabin upon embarkation. We like a leisurely dinner, and will order as many courses as we desire. We do notice the cutbacks, but will continue to sail (and most likely continue those sailings on X) until the value is no longer there for us. For now, I look forward to stepping onboard.

Agree with Bo; we've never had to ask for bathrobes or for toiletries to be replenished. And we're Elite + so we've done a few cruises. Perhaps some stewards are better than others.... As to the poster who pointed out Cafe al Bacio was crowded and nothing was done to enlarge the area....where on the current ships could you suggest extra seating?

I cannot, but have to, wait for our sailing on Edge next Thanksgiving! I trust it will be an awesome sailing.

Happy that we will have many many comments about service and food before we board so we will be in anticipation after each sailing to read the latest...

bon voyage

This describes my last cruise on Reflection. Some of the cut backs are less noticeable but they are there. The service in the dining room, IMO, is at an all time low. The lacks of an assistant waiter is bad. It has just added more waiting time in the DR. Less entertainment going on in the evening. Take a Compass, mark out all the "up charge" stuff they want you to do, like wine classes, and see what is left - not much.

Just off the Reflection, we did have an assistant waiter in Select Dining. Have they taken away the AW in MDR? Thinking of changing back to MDR next cruise. We moved away from traditional dining several cruises ago because of the lack of 'service'. No problem with anything else (eg Entertainment, etc).

Marelaine, Cafe al Bacio is crowded because of the numerous inconsiderate people who treat it as their private sitting room, lingering for hours after having finished their coffee, or without having ordered anything at all. These people feel just as entitled to their tables as do the lounger hogs who “save” loungers all day, but spend hours elsewhere. I remember the lovely tea sandwiches, and I miss them too. BTW we all “pay” for our drink packages, whether it’s through increased fares or directly.

Just off the Reflection, we did have an assistant waiter in Select Dining. Have they taken away the AW in MDR? Thinking of changing back to MDR next cruise. We moved away from traditional dining several cruises ago because of the lack of 'service'. No problem with anything else (eg Entertainment, etc).

I’m very happy to read this. We had an AW on Reflection last year (select dining), and we’re hoping to have one on Silhouette, Reflection and Edge (also Select Dining). In fact, if we could have our entire team from Reflection Select Dining (the wonderful Giovanni, Russell, and Manuel) on all our cruises, we would be quite happy:).

My point in starting this thread wasn't to give another venue for all the complaints that have already been made, but to try to show that there are starting to be some positive changes. But many people can't see that. I find it sad that all you see are negatives and that every change is viewed with cynicism. I hope you find a cruise line, or another type of vacation, that provides the joy that I still get every time I board a ship.

I can only see it getting worse, lots of small changes but also some very big one. The biggest change for us is the standard of food in the MDR on all of the standard cruise lines, not even close to what it used to be. Don’t know if it’s just me but service in that area also seems to have dropped significantly. I think to get back to where it used to be you now need to look at the luxury lines, sadly we are not a couple that can afford that level of cruise line.

We experienced exactly the same thing. Since Suites and Aqua are pushed with their own Dining, the MDR has become unacceptable to us. If we want to pay more, we might as well try other lines and we are. After being elite plus with Celeb we are trying Viking Ocean. Less pricey than suites and aqua with all the specialty dining included.

My point in starting this thread wasn't to give another venue for all the complaints that have already been made, but to try to show that there are starting to be some positive changes. But many people can't see that. I find it sad that all you see are negatives and that every change is viewed with cynicism. I hope you find a cruise line, or another type of vacation, that provides the joy that I still get every time I board a ship.

I agree with you Host Jazzbeau. We've began cruising in 1997 on Millennium in an ocean view cabin. We are now Elite + and I continue to get excited about my next cruise and am always planning the one after that. Sure, we miss some of the things that were offered in the past but look forward to new adventures on new or remodeled ships.

I agree with you that cruising is still our vacation of choice and Celebrity is our go to cruise line. I also think my best day at work can't compare to my worst day aboard ship. l I don't agree however that there are starting to be positive changes to cutback trends. I think the cutbacks are continuing. So far the positives of cruising on X far outweigh the negatives, but they do keep making little cuts and increasing costs.

Well, because of Edge coming into the picture, prices have skyrocketed. They better provide something more positive for what people are going to be paying, especially for Suites. :eek:

h - I, for one, Am happy for your thoughts and desired direction for the thread...

Thank you and bon voyage

bon voyage

That's good to know. Perhaps it was this particular cabin steward. He may have been covering extra cabins. We don't wear robes, so no big deal there. But not having soaps automatically replenished was annoying.

We see things differently. We loved our Silhouette cruises in December and February, and just booked Solstice for May. December was a regular veranda, Feb was In Concierge Class.

Based on silly changes like the new gray rubber seapass card holders issued in place of the old blue leather, then leatherette ones

I love the rubber seapass card holder designed to stick to the back of my phone case. I pealed off my other one, and put this one on as soon as I got it. I currently have my DL, favorite credit card, and work ID in it.

the cheap tote bags that have been given out lately in place of the nice heavy canvas zip top bags to Concierge Class and above, I fear that silly cost cuts are continuing.
I like the new bag, and it wipes out more easily than the canvas one.

The bottles of wine previously awaiting in the cabin chilled to those same classes of cabins, are now only given when requested.
Did you actually drink it? Ours always sat there until turndown, when the room attendant would dump the ice and leave it in the empty bucket - or worse, replenish the ice. The last time we drank it, was probably 2013.

The flowers previously in concierge class and above are noticeably absent.
Elite roses are still delivered on formal night. The little sprig we used to get wasn't that awesome.

The menus no longer show five courses, but three. While I know that passengers can order whatever they want, the layout does influence less experienced passengers to order one from each.
Yes, but people are not going hungry. I read complaints about portion size as well, but that is because too many people want to fill their plate rather than eating an actual dietary portion.

There is currently a charge for room service that has been recently enacted during overnight hours.
To cut down on the people who order and then fall asleep and not answer when they arrive.

The practice of pool butlers offering sorbet cups at the pool on hot days has been noticeably absent as has the practice of the same pool butlers offering iced towels.
They were offering iced towels our last couple of cruises.

The stateroom bathrooms in concierge class used to have containers of cotton swabs and cotton balls, but now offer a tiny box holding two of each.
I miss that one, but didn't like the brand of swabs they provided anyway.

We still love the product. The specialty dining isn't necessary, and we find we often like the ocean view so that we control our own portions.

Our 2017-2018 cruises so far have been some our best. The concierge was more visible, we were offered helipad sail always and sail-ins, and had an awesome, energetic young woman as our waiter in the MDR. She still had an assistant waiter, and they complimented each other nicely. Our room attendant said there were trade offs with having the full responsibility, but now they are not expected to deliver room service, so they don't start until 8am, work until all rooms are cleaned, then break, then turndown service after their break. They are making just as much $$, because they don't split it with the assistant, even though they have fewer rooms. It all works out.

I'm counting the days until my next cruise!

First, I love cruising on Celebrity. Right now, I feel it's a good value. But you asked if the age of cutbacks is over.

I'm sure Edge is fabulous. I would love to hear about Eden. What happens there? And what is the cover charge, if any?

Count the number of members remaining in the "Celebrity orchestra" and watch the number dwindle... it's a band.

Count the shrimp in the "cocktail".. it was three several weeks ago on Equinox...

When in a tender port there is a "do it yourself trivia" because activities staff are on tender duty...

When you have to win at trivia 8 or 9 times to win a T-shirt you realize this is not modern luxury..

When you have to pay extra for the wines on the premium list that were included in the package last year, you know that things have changed

When you have to get your own drinks upon boarding because bar servers are preoccupied selling upgrade packages you realize that there are not enough staff on duty.

If you go to Captain's Club celebration and there is only a guitar duo playing, you realize that this gathering has lost it's appeal.

Sure these things don't impact many cruisers because they never experienced the Celebrity that used to treat you "like royalty"... if you remember that tag line.

What we are seeing on Celebrity( I can't speak for other lines) is a shifting of emphasis. These shifts, like the shift in an emphasis on Loyalty to emphasis on Suite passengers is designed to attract higher margin passengers. I see Edge Class as a money generating operation. This should be a primary focus as RCL needs to get a return on their substantial investment as quickly as possible. Although we don't know the percentage of the operating budget that goes into items like food and entertainment my guess is that there have not been decreases in total spending' but rather a reallocation of resources. Any well run business needs to constantly look at the data.

Count the number of members remaining in the "Celebrity orchestra" and watch the number dwindle... it's a band.

Count the shrimp in the "cocktail".. it was three several weeks ago on Equinox...

When in a tender port there is a "do it yourself trivia" because activities staff are on tender duty...

When you have to win at trivia 8 or 9 times to win a T-shirt you realize this is not modern luxury..

When you have to pay extra for the wines on the premium list that were included in the package last year, you know that things have changed

When you have to get your own drinks upon boarding because bar servers are preoccupied selling upgrade packages you realize that there are not enough staff on duty.

If you go to Captain's Club celebration and there is only a guitar duo playing, you realize that this gathering has lost it's appeal.

Sure these things don't impact many cruisers because they never experienced the Celebrity that used to treat you "like royalty"... if you remember that tag line.

Yes, we have noticed all those things and more.

My husband remarks every cruise how they have cut the orchestra to 6. I believe Royal Caribbean's is 9 piece orchestra.

At some point it will be the "straw that broke the camel's back" and we will be looking to spend our vacation dollars elsewhere. We are sailing Azamara Journey next April and will see how the 2 compare.

I can't help but notice that a lot of people who say they won't sail on X again are here reading the X forum. Hmmm.

And, if so many people are unhappy with X, why is the number of passengers increasing?

Celebrity (like many cruise lines) is looking at the future. Some cruise lines are building for luxury passengers. Others are counting on the family trade. Celebrity is gearing to attract millennials and other NEW, younger passengers on board. The older, loyal clientele isn't really part of the long term game plan.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/travel/2017/05/03/what-millennial-travelers-want-new-study-finds-out/mRCbCdZzhtOyFVU7jN7sVM/story.html

I applaud your optimism and share your hope, but am also afraid the glasses we're both looking through are heavily rose colored. Based on silly changes like the new gray rubber seapass card holders issued in place of the old blue leather, then leatherette ones, and the cheap tote bags that have been given out lately in place of the nice heavy canvas zip top bags to Concierge Class and above, I fear that silly cost cuts are continuing. These changes, although not deal breakers certainly are demonstrations of cost cuts to passengers who are being charged decidedly more than a few years back. The bottles of wine previously awaiting in the cabin chilled to those same classes of cabins, are now only given when requested. The flowers previously in concierge class and above are noticeably absent. Again, not big deals, but little changes showing a cost cutting trend. The menus no longer show five courses, but three. While I know that passengers can order whatever they want, the layout does influence less experienced passengers to order one from each. There is currently a charge for room service that has been recently enacted during overnight hours. The practice of pool butlers offering sorbet cups at the pool on hot days has been noticeably absent as has the practice of the same pool butlers offering iced towels. The stateroom bathrooms in concierge class used to have containers of cotton swabs and cotton balls, but now offer a tiny box holding two of each. Again, not deal breakers by any means, but downgrades nonetheless. There's also been a steady increase in the number and cost of specialty dining venues. What was once 10 years ago $10 is now $50. The cost of cruises on the new Edge for a seven night cruise verandah cabin with a similar itinerary to an S or M class ship is almost twice the price. Factoring that in, the "free venues" on the Edge are far from it. I don't blame X for charging a premium for the privilege of trying their newest ships, but I can't pretend that I think it's the end of the era of cutbacks!

After 23 Celebrity cruises (last one this past January with our 7th in AQ on the Silhouette), I completely agree with every word of your response. So glad we are not alone!!!!!

Well said! I am still happy, and hope I shall feel the same after my next three cruises, all with Celebrity. Is Celebrity perfect? No. Am I paying enough to reasonably expect perfection? No. Is every business constantly in flux? Yes. The onus is on me to decide whether Celebrity gives me a very good return on my holiday investment or not. Thus far, they do.