Millennium Edgeification

DYKWIA

Is that your lack of imagination, or do you have some architectural or structural engineering expertise that says it's impossible?

Dear Host Jazzbeau - I have to admit that I was taken aback by your comment. I don't think we have ever had the opportunity to cross paths while cruising so I am truly confounded as why you made your comment or where it comes from. You don't know anything about me, my intellect, or anything about my "imagination". Regardless, I don't mind taking the high road here as it appears you either didn't or were completely oblivious to how your comment would come across.

Given that you are a "host", I would have expected better from you. :o

Might be optimistic to ask but does anyone have any idea as to the timescales on this fleetwide ? All I can see is plan to have all Solstice and Millennium class done by 2023. Any further info available ?

No concrete details that I have seen so far but some have speculated that the timeline suggests that two ships will be done per year.

It’s changed a bit. You have to scroll down to the list of hour long shows. Just so others can see, this is what they showed as one of the OV cabins. Totally redone.

Phil2b4d09c0d0002a2603b5314e5b254b59.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the slight snag with these fabulous looking cabins is that it gives us a comfortable way to not book a balcony! These huge windows look very similar to the deluxe Ocean View staterooms on 2 of Oceania's ships. We started with Balcony's on Celebrity and with the exception of Oceania's DOV staterooms we have said we couldn't see ourselves willing to save a few quid and do without a balcony - these cabins change that!

As for the engineering practicalities of doing this in the time allowed - I haven't a clue. Just the words of the Celebrity representative on the show that IIRC said that all the Oceanview rooms were being converted

the slight snag with these fabulous looking cabins is that it gives us a comfortable way to not book a balcony! These huge windows look very similar to the deluxe Ocean View staterooms on 2 of Oceania's ships. We started with Balcony's on Celebrity and with the exception of Oceania's DOV staterooms we have said we couldn't see ourselves willing to save a few quid and do without a balcony - these cabins change that!

My booking habits have changed somewhat and having had a balcony and sometimes not even walking out there I’ve latterly looked at OV cabins. I must say I do miss the large window area of a balcony and this seems a great idea and compromise to me. Anyway, thanks for the heads up and pointing us in the right direction.

Phil

I just watched the YouTube Video and while the new cabins look beautiful, I am a little uneasy about the "Innovative and Optimized Storage". To me the M Class wins hands down for storage space on a ship. I do not like the S Class ships layout especially with the over the bed storage and the very high bars in the closets.

So they are going to re-do every single cabin on all their ships?

Edited by CruisingChick

My booking habits have changed somewhat and having had a balcony and sometimes not even walking out there I’ve latterly looked at OV cabins. I must say I do miss the large window area of a balcony and this seems a great idea and compromise to me. Anyway, thanks for the heads up and pointing us in the right direction.

Phil

the irony of our situation is that my wife is the biggest advocate of wanting that Balcony yet I'm the one who sits out on it. She will typically only spend about 5 mins a day standing out there.

Dear Host Jazzbeau - I have to admit that I was taken aback by your comment. I don't think we have ever had the opportunity to cross paths while cruising so I am truly confounded as why you made your comment or where it comes from. You don't know anything about me, my intellect, or anything about my "imagination". Regardless, I don't mind taking the high road here as it appears you either didn't or were completely oblivious to how your comment would come across.

I thought that was an odd response, as well. Not sure what Jazz was thinking about or why she inferred your comment as being negative. Written word can be such a bitch at times.

Would someone post the link to see this program. I cannot find it

if you google the name of the TA and add "television programme" it should take you to the link

stars at 10 mins

Looking at it in more detail they don't actually say that all the Ocean View rooms will be full window - but i don't see a price differential which I would expect.

Edited by DYKWIA

On Holland America the deck with lifeboats has rooms with floor to ceiling windows. I think it might be a slider that won't open .They are obstructed view. I've never been in one but some people like them because they let in more light .

I love the look of these. Like a balcony view without the balcony.

lvz2cruz - Believe it or not, the one and only time I cruised on Holland America I was on Deck 4 in one of those staterooms with windows that face out with obstructed or partially obstructed views. I was in stateroom 4072 (on Westerdam); the view looking out between two lifeboats was quite good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry if I over-reacted. There have been a lot of posts lately where people "can't imagine" anything other than their particular opinion, and your post just set me off. You're right, I don't know you -- and this may just have been a turn of phrase.

As for the engineering practicalities of doing this in the time allowed - I haven't a clue. Just the words of the Celebrity representative on the show that IIRC said that all the Oceanview rooms were being converted

It looks like the glass is fixed. If they made them French balconies, that really would offer an alternative to veranda cabins -- but that is the "Infinite Balcony" concept on Edge and costs a lot more than these cabins.

dykwia, I take it T/A stands for travel agent and I don't know the name of the TA. Just putting in ta does not work. If I need the name of the TA then CC will not allow it to be posted. Anyway around this?

Think of a suite by Gustav Holst +add "cruise" - CC rules I think require this cryptic charade

dykwia, I take it T/A stands for travel agent and I don't know the name of the TA. Just putting in ta does not work. If I need the name of the TA then CC will not allow it to be posted. Anyway around this?

Read the entire thread. There are excellent clues that will get you there;)

Put me in the "hard to imagine" camp as well. The picture on the programme was from Celebrity's generic video several months ago of the so-called Celebrity Revolution. It could be some ship or no ship. With the budgeting spread across 9 ships, I figure they'll be limited to upgrading the furnishings in the existing staterooms. They may be able to add some floor-to-ceiling glass ocenview cabins on the top of the ship, ala RCCL Freedom & Voyager class ships. Because I know if they can figure out how to squeeze out more revenue by adding cabins, they will. However, current cruise sites show no such cabins for cruises post-drydock at this time that I can discern. In fact, as far as I can tell, even the Edge itself has no oceanview cabins with floor to ceiling windows.

I've seen plenty of misrepresentations of Celebrity & especially Royal Caribbean ships by the media and on their websites . The Celebrity rep in the video, Ruth Gardiner, is listed as a strategic account manager .................. in other words, she sells cruises. I'll wait until I hear from Miami.

While technically adding Floor to Ceiling windows to the M-Class oceanview staterooms is possible, I highly doubt it will be done, mostly due to the immense cost. I think they used a generic rendering for both Oceanview and Verandah rooms and just digitally airbrushed out the Verandah image for the presentation. The big window makes the space seem more open and airy.

There are quite a few things I dislike from the cabin renderings of the M-Class "Revolution" - open storage replace closed closet shelving, a bizarrely placed mirror over the desk/vanity and the addition of a fixed pendant lamp over one of the night tables. I have to wonder if the designers of this concept have ever stepped foot on a cruise ship of any sort, let alone spent 7+ days in 170 sq feet of space with another person!

Sure the designs look slick and trendy, but are far from practical.

I'm saving final judgement until we see an actual cabin mock-up or the first photos post-drydock of the Millennium next February.

if you google the name of the TA and add "television programme" it should take you to the link

stars at 10 mins

Looking at it in more detail they don't actually say that all the Ocean View rooms will be full window - but i don't see a price differential which I would expect.

I'm not structural engineer, but if I was a betting man I'd say that if they did it then it wouldn't be all of them. Perhaps even just those OVs on decks 9, 8, 7 and 6 and call them Panoramic Ocean View cabins or something.

Have a look at the show from 26th September 2017 about Azamara, 9 minutes in. That is a show from a different planet for sure!

Phil

Put me in the "hard to imagine" camp as well. The picture on the programme was from Celebrity's generic video several months ago of the so-called Celebrity Revolution. It could be some ship or no ship. With the budgeting spread across 9 ships, I figure they'll be limited to upgrading the furnishings in the existing staterooms. They may be able to add some floor-to-ceiling glass ocenview cabins on the top of the ship, ala RCCL Freedom & Voyager class ships. Because I know if they can figure out how to squeeze out more revenue by adding cabins, they will. However, current cruise sites show no such cabins for cruises post-drydock at this time that I can discern. In fact, as far as I can tell, even the Edge itself has no oceanview cabins with floor to ceiling windows.

I've seen plenty of misrepresentations of Celebrity & especially Royal Caribbean ships by the media and on their websites . The Celebrity rep in the video, Ruth Gardiner, is listed as a strategic account manager .................. in other words, she sells cruises. I'll wait until I hear from Miami.

X already announced that the “Revolution” changes to the staterooms on M-class ships will be structural changes involving removing everything to the outside hull. This will allow them to reconfigure the layouts of the staterooms and update them with the new technology that will be in place on the Edge.

There are quite a few things I dislike from the cabin renderings of the M-Class "Revolution" - open storage replace closed closet shelving, a bizarrely placed mirror over the desk/vanity and the addition of a fixed pendant lamp over one of the night tables. I have to wonder if the designers of this concept have ever stepped foot on a cruise ship of any sort, let alone spent 7+ days in 170 sq feet of space with another person!

Sure the designs look slick and trendy, but are far from practical.

I'm saving final judgement until we see an actual cabin mock-up or the first photos post-drydock of the Millennium next February.

Most, if not all, of the artist renderings of the upper suites on the Edge show pendant lamps over the night stands. When I first saw them I thought the same thing, even though they look nice, they’re impractical. I wonder how many of them will have to be replaced when the ship hits a bit of rough weather... 😉