How to watch my own DVD on cabin TV

Why are u on a cruise watching dvds even if it’s for the kids put them In the kids club. U can watch dvds at home but it’s ur money and ur choice. Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You may not have realized it, but that's kind of like saying "Why are you using the pool on the ship when you could go to the local park district pool at home" or "why drink in a bar on the cruise when you can just go to a bar at home." Some people enjoy watching TV in their cabins--my husband and I like to watch the in room TV on cruises when we are winding down for the night. Different strokes for different folks! There is no need to criticize what other cruisers like to do on their vacations.

Idk what ship you will be on but some remotes on some ships dont have the output button to change the output to that hdmi port in back. I believe its purposely done. But I got around it by bringing a universal programmable remote. 5 bucks. Then I can change the out put via my remote. But I use it to watch saved movies on ipad. Same thing.

Nokids, but that's none of your business. I asked a simple question that some seemed to answer without judgement or criticism. You know nothing about us. But seeing as though it has caused you to reply, let me explain. We like to spend a quiet evening in our cabin & enjoy watching movies. Does that satisfy your curiosity? If this sounds snarky or snippy, good, that was my intention. I do not generally post on CC or ask questions. Now I know why. I do appreciate the useful answers from others.

Snarky responses from others, sometimes off subject, are the risk you take when posting on any board

But I agree with your response. Personaly I also enjoy a movie snugled next to my wife in the evening.

Idk what ship you will be on but some remotes on some ships dont have the output button to change the output to that hdmi port in back. I believe its purposely done. But I got around it by bringing a universal programmable remote. 5 bucks. Then I can change the out put via my remote. But I use it to watch saved movies on ipad. Same thing.

We'll be on Ovation. We have just bought the HDMI cable. If things don't work as planned, no problem.

We couldn't find an HDMI port on our TV on Anthem. We made do with watching on our balcony on a laptop. If you are worried about the streaming package for either speed or cost, we downloaded a lot of programming to said laptop from Netflix ahead of time so no need for an internet connection.

You may not have realized it, but that's kind of like saying "Why are you using the pool on the ship when you could go to the local park district pool at home" or "why drink in a bar on the cruise when you can just go to a bar at home." Some people enjoy watching TV in their cabins--my husband and I like to watch the in room TV on cruises when we are winding down for the night. Different strokes for different folks! There is no need to criticize what other cruisers like to do on their vacations.

You hit the nail on the head Dilly Dilly

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Why are u on a cruise watching dvds even if it’s for the kids put them In the kids club. U can watch dvds at home but it’s ur money and ur choice. Enjoy

Maybe to just watch in bed. Before drifting off.

Let me spend thousands of dollars on a cruise just so that I can watch TV in my stateroom lol[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Here we go...another one.(n)

You can if you want to. I'm not going to criticise you if you do. You're entitled to do ANYTHING you want. AS AM I.:lips-sealed: That's it for me, enough said.

Travelling on Ovation, October 2018.

Is it possible to watch my own DVD's through the cabin TV? If so, what's the procedure?

Thanks for any help available.

As someone already mentioned, just get an HDMI cable and make sure your source device supports that. Almost all DVD players do.

Related, you might consider grabbing a universal, programmable remote control (they are super cheap) and bring that with you as well. We had a heck of a time being able to switch HDMI port input on the TV as the functionality was disabled on the TV on Allure of the Seas. When we reached out to guest services, they sent someone from their IT department who let us know that they normally don't allow guests to plug things in to their TV's, etc.... He was nice about it and changed the HDMI port input for us and disabled the block that prevented us from doing it on our own. He said to bring a universal remote, so we could change the input on our own in the future. We've done that and it's worked well for us.

Enjoy your trip!

-germ

I always turn on the TV at bed time and sometimes its a movie. I for one will be bringing my FireStick.

We do too. Can't even imagine trying to fall asleep without watching a few episodes of West Wing! :D

We've been using the Fire Sticks on RCI with no issue. In fact, I've been pretty surprised by how well they work using RCI's Internet.

-germ

Nokids, but that's none of your business. I asked a simple question that some seemed to answer without judgement or criticism. You know nothing about us. But seeing as though it has caused you to reply, let me explain. We like to spend a quiet evening in our cabin & enjoy watching movies. Does that satisfy your curiosity? If this sounds snarky or snippy, good, that was my intention. I do not generally post on CC or ask questions. Now I know why. I do appreciate the useful answers from others.

I sometime come into these threads just to see how long it takes some judgemental so and so to add their irrelevant input. 8 posts is an unusually low number! But since I have nothing else to add, enjoy your cruise.

I bring along a right angle HDMI adapter and a splitter so I don't have to reach around all the time. I have not found an easy way to change HDMI ports on the TV.

For 20 bucks you can have a kit to connect anything to a TV.

Add in a USB to HDMI adapter for your favorite phone or tablet and you are all set less than 50 bucks for everything.

Doenbucket, It is your cruise and you may enjoy your free time how ever you wish. I was thinking you were going to make a DVD on your trip and wanted to watch it. I would like to be able to do that, then i could share with my family. Have a wonderful cruise.

Let me spend thousands of dollars on a cruise just so that I can watch TV in my stateroom lol[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Really???? Just about everything I do on a ship, with the exception of the time spent in port, I can do at home. I can read on my patio, sit in my own clean hot tub, go out to eat at restaurants that are MUCH better than any speciality restaurant, see a movie, go to a show, drink myself into senselessness - you get my drift. But of course, I'm sure you don't do any of those things on a cruise.

We couldn't find an HDMI port on our TV on Anthem.

I was on the Anthem in a JS a few months ago and the port was tough to find — but I was very determined. It’s in a tough spot to reach so it wasn’t easy to do. Once I got it set up, I needed a remote to change the input. The “channel 3” trick did’t work.

The way the TVs are attached on the Anthem (Quantum class) means you have to be pretty motivated to get it done. For me it required standing on a chair, using one cell phone as a flash light and another cell phone as a camera to view the parts of the TV I couldn’t see from the front.

I set it up so I could watch my favorite TV show before bed each night, but it came in handy when I got sick one day and basically spent half a day in bed while on the cruise.

Brooke sent this from her iPad using Tapatalk

I bring along a right angle HDMI adapter and a splitter so I don't have to reach around all the time. I have not found an easy way to change HDMI ports on the TV.

For 20 bucks you can have a kit to connect anything to a TV.

Add in a USB to HDMI adapter for your favorite phone or tablet and you are all set less than 50 bucks for everything.

Somehow pics did not make it?

64401932_hdmiupdown.thumb.JPG.cd35a067eddb1d17a20786d6f91e0197.JPG

379336407_hdmiangle.thumb.JPG.962578a3b862d7b3567be2808c2d0fe9.JPG

2055975378_usbc.thumb.JPG.e80edc4bc5080ad7a3fc77f55726b92a.JPG

210635686_hdmiswitch.thumb.JPG.0b257b6806d9ad5104c5876e741a5e07.JPG

I'm right there with you. I hope the VOOM is fast enough on the Oasis in 2 weeks to stream Netflix or Amazon.

I like to watch TV to unwind at night.

Hopefully you can get the DVD player to work. Enjoy!

Bill

My DD claims she can download shows to her Netflix app ahead of time... I sure hope she's right because I'm not paying for VOOM, LOL

OK...I'm completely lost with all the info above. Please someone explain to this technically challenged senior (in very simple terms) just how to and what I need to watch movies on my cabin TV using my Netflix. I also have no idea how streaming onboard works. I certainly don't want to watch anything on my small screen laptop. Other than Netflix what other options do I have instead of paying the onboard fee to watch movies?

Please be patient and kind.

Edited by Ashland

We do too. Can't even imagine trying to fall asleep without watching a few episodes of West Wing! :D

We've been using the Fire Sticks on RCI with no issue. In fact, I've been pretty surprised by how well they work using RCI's Internet.

-germ

OMG, West Wing, my most fav fav favourite ever show. :D:cool:

How to download from netflix

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/54816

Not all shows can be downloaded

You can also download from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201460820

And if you have Dish for your TV there is Dish Anywhere you can download most anything from your DVR onto a device. We purchased an older iPad years ago just for that purpose it is a 64GB as that was the largest at that time.

We just got off a 10 day Panama Canal cruise with Princess... they had built in dvd movies on the tv's

So many too choice from.. along with "series shows" some repeats but again

I like to unwind after a long day watching tv and it helps me fall asleep.. lol

We are definitely not night owls. Sometimes we are that exhausted, we can be in bed by 9.30pm. It's also nice to chill out sometimes during the day. There's only so much trivia I'm able to do before my head explodes.:eek: