Man overboard on Anthem

This is the second cruise ship to have a passenger go overboard in the last 24 hours. Just highlights that everyone really needs to be careful and think when on cruise ships. Most of the time if someone goes go in the water they are not coming out alive.

I know I have lost items on small personal boats in the ocean, hats, cushions, etc.even in a small boat with double the speed and less than a meter off the water, by the time you turn around very hard to find the items if you even can.

This is the second cruise ship to have a passenger go overboard in the last 24 hours. Just highlights that everyone really needs to be careful and think when on cruise ships. Most of the time if someone goes go in the water they are not coming out alive.

I know I have lost items on small personal boats in the ocean, hats, cushions, etc.even in a small boat with double the speed and less than a meter off the water, by the time you turn around very hard to find the items if you even can.

You don’t just fall off a cruise ship.

Be careful of what? If someone goes into the water they were either trying or being really stupid.

There were no further announcements from the captain after we set back on course to Bayonne, I have to assume it did not end well. It really puts things into perspective.

Anthem arrived back on time and we were off the boat and in our car by 7:30 AM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder how long the ships will continue the search ? Till he's either rescued OR 'recovered:eek: Or till he's considered ' missing. and resumed lost at sea'. I know the ships will search for only so long. So sad.

Mac

Edited by SmoothFlying
Accidently added name twice Opps!

I wonder how long the ships will continue the search ? Till he's either rescued OR 'recovered:eek: Or till he's considered ' missing. and resumed lost at sea'. I know the ships will search for only so long. So sad.

Mac

I believe the ships have been released by USCG SAR, who are operating fixed and rotary wing aircraft for the search. Typically, merchant ships are only held on location until SAR assets arrive, as the ships are far less suitable platforms for search and rescue than the aircraft. How long the USCG continues the search is based on their operational doctrine.

Captain Heinrich (sp?) announced the person was not found and coast guard will continue to search but we are headed back to Bayonne with all engines engaged and should be close to on time. So sad, prayers to this man's family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder how long the CG will continue to search? Till the overboard person is either rescued or recovered:eek: I know the CG will give it their usual 150% but I guess the senior CG commander on scene will sadly say, 'WE have exhausted all efforts so... IF the helicopters haven't had a visual, well.'

Mac

I believe the ships have been released by USCG SAR, who are operating fixed and rotary wing aircraft for the search. Typically, merchant ships are only held on location until SAR assets arrive, as the ships are far less suitable platforms for search and rescue than the aircraft. How long the USCG continues the search is based on their operational doctrine.

Thanks, Chief. That answered both of my questions. I just didn't know how long the CG would continue the search. I would imagine a jump from the 15th deck, hitting the water could render one unable to swim or float without a life vest.

Mac

Thanks, Chief. That answered both of my questions. I just didn't know how long the CG would continue the search. I would imagine a jump from the 15th deck, hitting the water could render one unable to swim or float without a life vest.

Mac

It can very easily result in a broken spine or neck. Tower divers also experience the phenomenon of feeling the wind driven out of their chest if they don't land exactly right.

We were on the ship. There were witnesses that the 24 yr old man jumped off deck 15. Absolutely no way it was an accident.

So awful. Prayers go out to the family.

Captain Sorensen handled the announcements impressively. Set the right tone and kept us informed.

Jane

I was on the Gem. Our ship helped search, until released by the Coast Guard. We were told that he intentionally jumped off the ship.

As of 11:00 am today, USCG called off the search since there was no hope that the man was still alive.

I was on Anthem and on my balcony just above the Starboard Zodiac rescue boat which was quickly manned. Gem also aided in the attempt at rescue and it grew increasingly cold and dark. I saw a life ring was recovered but there was no sign of the young man. A lot of folks on board were really down and hoped against hope as our Master turned toward Bayonne. We had been circling for a couple of hours with the Gem but it was getting colder and more windy, and the sea was rising. Whatever family and friends he had who were on board are going to be affected for a good while. From what I could discern, the crew responded superbly.

My heart just breaks for his family. What in the world can be soooo bad, that one would end their life.

When one truly sets out to commit suicide, they cannot feel or rationalize anything but the pain they are feeling. They just need the pain to end. I don’t think any of us who find it hard to comprehend can ever understand that kind of pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When one truly sets out to commit suicide, they cannot feel or rationalize anything but the pain they are feeling. They just need the pain to end. I don’t think any of us who find it hard to comprehend can ever understand that kind of pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you, but it was really a rhetorical question. I am a TBI nurse and know what the answer is.