Is Celebrity's Food inedible?

I found the food very good on our Reflection cruise except for one dinner in Blu where I found the fish inedible. I just ate the salad and called it a night. It wasn't a big deal to me after many nights of excellent food. Just decided to eat a bit lighter that evening.

I'm on Eclipse right now - 15 nt. TA. The food is fine - some things I've liked and a few things I haven't. If I don't like it I get something else. We have over 1000 Elites on this cruise so a few things have been done differently - like drinks, which were loaded onto our card and could be used in the MDR. The Elite tea was held this afternoon in the MDR - not quite as nice as when it's held in The speciality restaurants.

Who is the executive chef and his or her nationality ? On Equinox we had an Italian executive chef and found the food quite good. On Royal the worst food we encountered was on a Med cruise back in 2008 with a Scottish exec chef. It wasn’t indelible, just underseasoned

Y'all are so dramatic.

Just enjoy your cruise holiday or stop booking them. One or the other.

LOL - that is the only way some passengers can sail... as if living days of yore in sailing... I believe..

bon voyage

Our last Celebrity cruise was on the Reflection in January of 2017. We found the food good to very good. We enjoyed the buffet as well as the main dining room and Qsine as well.

While I don't consider myself a foodie we live near a major city and have pretty much any ethnic cuisine available.

Taste in food is so subjective that it is hard to make blanket statements across an entire cruise line.

Y'all are so dramatic.

Easy for you to say. :D

Most people on CC like sailing and complaining/having an opinion and wanting to express it with others to then have a back and forth discussion.

Much easier for those who are not wanting to read or engage in the discussion to skip the thread!

Y'all are so dramatic.

I will admit I've laughed at many of the comments on this thread and I have to wonder, with some of the folks, if they are able to put things in perspective. I served a year in a combat zone and was subjected to some 'marginally edible' food items there. Some of it was military and some of it was prepared locally and offered to us when we had nothing fresh. I didn't ask what some of the local stuff was and there was a time or two when I simply couldn't eat it. So, many years later I still remember those days and I fully appreciate what great service and food we get when we sail, regardless of the line. There may have been a time or two that my steak wasn't perfect or maybe my pancakes were a bit cool, but those were exceptions, and not the rule.

Since we normally have most of our meals in Luminae there is NEVER a problem with quality, much less quantity. And, the best venison I've ever had (better than even my Dad could do) was in Murano. I'm looking forward to a couple more times in Murano on our next sailing.

Yes, taste and satisfaction are very subjective. But, we really should be thankful that we're on a cruise and being pampered, as opposed to working a twelve hour day, or housed in a bunker and listening to overhead rockets.

Life is good. :cool:

I have always complained that the one breakfast I ate in Blu was dreadful, that the dinners in BLU were not a lot to write home about, and that the best evening meals in BLU were from the MDR menu.

But that did mean that on the whole the food was, at times, slightly better than some of the non-luxury lines I have been on, but mostly on a par with them. That just meant for me the food was expensively reasonable.

I've been served some nasty stuff, but I've never had a worm crawl out of it. Not sure how I would handle that, but I sure as hell wouldn't eat it:eek:

Oh God no! That was in a restaurant. The fish was fresh, just had a lot of worms in it. Nearly all fish is frozen these days. A few places get it right off the pier, but even there most is flash frozen at sea. I will say I've never had "inedible" food on a cruise. Seeing beef that was once choice or even prime in a few instances to now be generally below select & in some cases to be simply FDA approved is getting pretty lame. Thee were several times where I just ordered the Salmon, as nothing appealed on the menu. The Eclipse 2017 trip had meats generally tough & over done & under seasoned. This is the mark of a poor chef.(regardless of nationality) The food as always was outstanding in Murano/Tuscan/Qsine, but really pretty lame elsewhere. Even in the buffet quality was down markedly.

Rather than saying Celeb food is inedible, I would say that if you want better food, you need to book Suites or Aqua. Just stands to reason , if Suites dining was the same as regular MDR why would anyone pay the much higher rate.

Besides, food in the OVC for dinner was very good. If we sail Celeb in the future, we know that once we try the MDR several times and if we again find we cant eat what they serve us (inedible), on the Eclipse the Grill in the OVC is wonderful. Not so on the Infinity, there the Grill was also awful but that is partly my fault. When I saw that things were pre grilled I should have asked for a fresh piece so I could have had some control on how it was prepared.

Because of the MDR and some other issues, instead of paying suite prices, we have decided to try another line. Viking O to be exact. Yes paying less than Suite prices for a similar itinerary, balcony with all kinds of inclusive perks.

Not sure yet if we would give up Celeb for a long time, just for the immediate future.

Celeb food is not inedible, to get better food than you get in the regular MDR, pay for suite or aqua class.

MDR used to be good but now needs to be less than to justify paying for a suite. That is just the class structure Celeb now encourages. It is something to come to terms with. Want better, you have to pay for it.

Rather than saying Celeb food is inedible, I would say that if you want better food, you need to book Suites or Aqua. Just stands to reason , if Suites dining was the same as regular MDR why would anyone pay the much higher rate.

Besides, food in the OVC for dinner was very good. If we sail Celeb in the future, we know that once we try the MDR several times and if we again find we cant eat what they serve us (inedible), on the Eclipse the Grill in the OVC is wonderful. Not so on the Infinity, there the Grill was also awful but that is partly my fault. When I saw that things were pre grilled I should have asked for a fresh piece so I could have had some control on how it was prepared.

Because of the MDR and some other issues, instead of paying suite prices, we have decided to try another line. Viking O to be exact. Yes paying less than Suite prices for a similar itinerary, balcony with all kinds of inclusive perks.

Not sure yet if we would give up Celeb for a long time, just for the immediate future.

Celeb food is not inedible, to get better food than you get in the regular MDR, pay for suite or aqua class.

MDR used to be good but now needs to be less than to justify paying for a suite. That is just the class structure Celeb now encourages. It is something to come to terms with. Want better, you have to pay for it.

But the food is NOT better in BLU, the best two meals I had were not BLU food but from the MDR menu, and it bneats me, having experienced BLU why people do keep paying more in Aqua.

But the food is NOT better in BLU, the best two meals I had were not BLU food but from the MDR menu, and it bneats me, having experienced BLU why people do keep paying more in Aqua.

not for better quality food...just better prepared, as in pretty much plated to order vs the MDR where they put 20 plates on the table and the waiter picks the one he wants. The food in Blu is also generally served hotter (as in heat) since it pretty much goes from grill to you without sitting under a heat lamp. Finally, the atmosphere is very different....you get more personalized service. Blu is definitely worth paying a bit extra....how much extra is debatable but the overall dining experience is better in Blu vs the MDR. Fianlly, don't discount a full breakfast without a hassle....that may be worth more than the dinner experience.

not for better quality food...just better prepared, as in pretty much plated to order vs the MDR where they put 20 plates on the table and the waiter picks the one he wants. The food in Blu is also generally served hotter (as in heat) since it pretty much goes from grill to you without sitting under a heat lamp. Finally, the atmosphere is very different....you get more personalized service. Blu is definitely worth paying a bit extra....how much extra is debatable but the overall dining experience is better in Blu vs the MDR. Fianlly, don't discount a full breakfast without a hassle....that may be worth more than the dinner experience.

Worst breakfast I ever had on any ship was in BLU, it was dreadful, went once and never again.

It really does beat me why people are willing to pay much more, except the snob value of being seen to be in a better class.

I agree about Aqua and Suites, we have the option to upgrade. Blu is a much more intimate atmosphere with superior service, and as ghstudio stated, better prepared. I specially enjoy the expanded breakfast menu.

The one thing that gets me about Aqua is the price difference based on your cruise. A 14+ day repo can be just a couple hundred over veranda pricing, where as on higher demand 7 day cruises, it can reach $600+. I wouldn't pay $100 per week for Blu on one cruise, and $600 per week on the next.

I hope you enjoy Viking Ocean, it looks like a decent option if we start eyeballing the Luxury-Light industry. For river cruises, we're leaning towards Avalon.

The OP of this thread and several others who have posted negative opinions about the food on X in the MDR, Blu, or OVC seem to state those opinions as undeniable absolutes. Some have posted those opinions repeatedly across various threads with a seeming vendetta. People have widely differing opinions. My DH and I can both taste the same dish from the same plate at the same time and one of us might love it and the other will hate it. He won't eat fish unless it's a choice of fish or nothing. I enjoy it. I think it's helpful to hear both sides, but posters should keep in mind that not everyone will agree, nor should they offer opinions that indicate that anyone who might think differently has no palate. When I have eaten in a restaurant on a consistent basis and know the quality and then read something like "inedible" I have to question the review. If on the other hand the reviewer gives specifics about the meal they had and why they didn't care for it, the review tells more. When anger is inherent in the review it subtracts from the credibility of the review and hints at other issues than the food. Of course, that is only my opinion.;)

The OP of this thread and several others who have posted negative opinions about the food on X in the MDR, Blu, or OVC seem to state those opinions as undeniable absolutes. Some have posted those opinions repeatedly across various threads with a seeming vendetta. People have widely differing opinions. My DH and I can both taste the same dish from the same plate at the same time and one of us might love it and the other will hate it. He won't eat fish unless it's a choice of fish or nothing. I enjoy it. I think it's helpful to hear both sides, but posters should keep in mind that not everyone will agree, nor should they offer opinions that indicate that anyone who might think differently has no palate. When I have eaten in a restaurant on a consistent basis and know the quality and then read something like "inedible" I have to question the review. If on the other hand the reviewer gives specifics about the meal they had and why they didn't care for it, the review tells more. When anger is inherent in the review it subtracts from the credibility of the review and hints at other issues than the food. Of course, that is only my opinion.;)

And some people insist on posting their likes across many threads and complaining about people who express their opinions which happen to be different.

I think readers are entitled to both opinions good and bad and as you keep posting what you think is relevant, so will I. I had those experiences with Celebrity and I do wonder why people are willing to pay for something that I found below par for the price. That may be minority opinion on here but that is not surprising is it, when there is always an outcry when someone posts negative comments, like the ones that started this thread, with their integrity being impugned with comments like

When anger is inherent in the review it subtracts from the credibility of the review and hints at other issues than the food

Worst breakfast I ever had on any ship was in BLU, it was dreadful, went once and never again.

It really does beat me why people are willing to pay much more, except the snob value of being seen to be in a better class.

I sailed Aqua last October and we found Blu to be fantastic most nights. You hated it, we loved it. I only had one meal that was sub-par and that we the ribeye steak. Not sure what kind of cow that ribeye came from but it had the oddest texture I've ever encountered on a steak. Besides that we really enjoyed Aqua and would do it again if the cost was reasonable (usually it's far from reasonable to us). We only went once for breakfast and found that to be ok, nothing special but certainly not bad. We all like different things!

We only went once for breakfast and found that to be ok, nothing special but certainly not bad. We all like different things!

I will agree with that: we all like different things. I find Blu very claustrophobic - the tables are so close together that it would put me off booking Aqua (together with the position of the majority of the cabins). Whenever we have experienced the Elite Afternoon Tea in there, I have felt like I’m sitting on the lap of the person next to me. On Reflection, the gentleman sitting to my left, actually turned his plate to me and asked if I wanted the half of scone he’d left :eek:!

So, yes, we all do like different things and can choose accordingly ;).

The OP of this thread and several others who have posted negative opinions about the food on X in the MDR, Blu, or OVC seem to state those opinions as undeniable absolutes.

Undeniable Absolutes, perhaps so, but how else should one describe their experience? It looks like the OP hasn't even been on Celebrity yet, so I wouldn't take their opinion too seriously. Since I haven't been on Celebrity in a couple years, I want to know if there's been any changes. People are always going to get sour grape tendencies as they move on to other lines, but that doesn't mean that they're 100% wrong, or that others aren't being more objective.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

Undeniable Absolutes, perhaps so, but how else should one describe their experience? It looks like the OP hasn't even been on Celebrity yet, so I wouldn't take their opinion too seriously. Since I haven't been on Celebrity in a couple years, I want to know if there's been any changes. People are always going to get sour grape tendencies as they move on to other lines, but that doesn't mean that they're 100% wrong, or that others aren't being more objective.

There are a few changes over the last couple of years. There are different tote bags and key holders. They changed the free water in aqua class. You have to ask for your bottle of wine in concierge or aqua rather than finding it waiting for you. Over all X is still the line we enjoy sailing the most. At least for us there have been no deal breakers. Others may have different preferences.

Edited by Luvcrusn

If I read a review or post that states (blanket statement) that the food was 'inedible' I immediately stop reading since that is such a ridiculous statement; I wouldn't trust anything else in the review after that anyway.

Maybe some foods are not to your taste or just plain lacking, but inedible? Sure, once in a while I find a certain food (not just on ships) in a restaurant that I don't care for, but that's just opinion. I seldom like the soups on any ship, for instance, but they are not inedible.

I mean, I don't like, say liver, but it's still not inedible. Such dramatic statements just make me laugh.

If I read a review or post that states (blanket statement) that the food was 'inedible' I immediately stop reading since that is such a ridiculous statement; I wouldn't trust anything else in the review after that anyway.

Maybe some foods are not to your taste or just plain lacking, but inedible? Sure, once in a while I find a certain food (not just on ships) in a restaurant that I don't care for, but that's just opinion. I seldom like the soups on any ship, for instance, but they are not inedible.

I mean, I don't like, say liver, but it's still not inedible. Such dramatic statements just make me laugh.

Where's that pesky like button when you need it?!!:D

There are a few changes over the last couple of years. There are different tote bags and key holders. They changed the free water in aqua class. You have to ask for your bottle of wine in concierge or aqua rather than finding it waiting for you. Over all X is still the line we enjoy sailing the most. At least for us there have been no deal breakers. Others may have different preferences.

Ok, good to know. I don't even remember the free water, but we did enjoy the tea and fruit. We actually have a drink package on our next cruise, so I'll skip the bottle of wine, but it will come in handy on the following reposition cruises.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as Celebrity is keeping up or beating HAL, they'll continue to be our main line. The luxury-light market is typically more than I'm willing to pay.