Carnival vs. NCL - All You Can Drink

salty dingo

I guess some are so focused on alcohol they don't notice that other cruise lines have higher gratuities, charge for all room service, charge more for cases of bottled water, shore excursions, etc.

Like what Joebucks said, one way or another, this stuffs irons out. RCI for example....those things you listed are higher priced on RCI, but their drink packages include their private islands. NCL might look less expensive at booking, but their specialty restaurants...which there are a lot of...are priced ala cart, and they charge for room service, which means a higher on-board bill.

That ls just Cheers for 2. The third and fourth passengers are my young children. Like said, 15 days on NCL with drink package for $500 vs. $1700 for Cheers. That's a big difference. That will pay for plenty of bottled water and coffee that is missing fro NCL's package. Sure, apples to apples we like Cheers as a package better as a whole vs. the NCL promo package...... just not $1200 better ......

Oh ok- I didn't know they were children. I agree $1200 is a huge savings- Have an awesome cruise.

I guess some are so focused on alcohol they don't notice that other cruise lines have higher gratuities, charge for all room service, charge more for cases of bottled water, shore excursions, etc.

Last time I looked, NCL only offered non-refundable deposits and just about any change resulted in loss of initial deposit. Don't think they offer an option for price protection like Carnival, etc.

If you like a variety of restaurants that come with a surcharge, you should be happy with NCL.

Royal's Diamond bars have limited menus and hours, but they do offer some drink tickets, likely to avoid overcrowding in the Diamond lounge.

If blinded by better alcohol packages, you might do better on a different cruise line.

I think you better look again.:rolleyes:

Bill

Celebrity has a similar promotion to NCLs according to a email I got. Not sure if they add a service charge. (pick 2, for suites, pick 4 I think was the going offer, may still be going)

NCL lets you pick 2 choices usually if you book early and then after final paymet drops prices, ... comes out about the same to me. I would pick to pay tips as one, plus most people pick the free drinks.

RCL if you are about what platinum is on Carnival has a perk where you get free wine at night, which I really enjoy. Have skipped a few dinners lol.

At diamond level on RCL, which is similar to carnival, you get free mixed drinks and hot appetisers. I need a couple more RCL cruises.

Im not loyal to any, but Carnival often goes where i want.

Celebrity doesn't add a gratuity on top of their perks, its included. Their classic bev package also includes waters and specialty coffees. Just throwing that out there.

like Ncl, Celebrity's prices are higher, but you not paying for a service fee. Well at least not an "extra" service fee :)

I sailed NCL last year (March 2017) and chose the UBP as part of my promo. I am not a big drinker but my cocktails were not well brand. I was drinking Grey Goose Vodka and ordered specialty martinis from the martini bar and although I have no idea the cost I never went over any per drink price limit. The only time I was charged for a drink was when I ordered something in a specialty cup and I was notified I would be charged $4.00 for the cup! So don't shy away from the UBP because you think you are only getting well brands/no name cheap booze.

I sailed NCL last year (March 2017) and chose the UBP as part of my promo. I am not a big drinker but my cocktails were not well brand. I was drinking Grey Goose Vodka and ordered specialty martinis from the martini bar and although I have no idea the cost I never went over any per drink price limit. The only time I was charged for a drink was when I ordered something in a specialty cup and I was notified I would be charged $4.00 for the cup! So don't shy away from the UBP because you think you are only getting well brands/no name cheap booze.

I’ve never paid attention to what liquor is used in my drinks, but on our NCL cruise last January, our granddaughter’s boyfriend was drinking Grey Goose all the time! And we all had the UBP.

Didn't think that the UBP was alive back in May of 2013, according to your signature. But I will tell you that on my first Escape cruise in July of 2016, my second one in January of 2017 and my third one in September of 2017, the only time getting a drink was a hassle was on white night at the aft of the ship.
Sorry, that signature hasn't been updated, probably since 2013[emoji16]. We are Platinum on NCL. Were on the Epic November 2017. The indoor bars in the evenings were jam packed!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

My Vista cruise is substantially higher than the NCL Escape cruises we took the past 2 years. Several thousand more if we buy Cheers. Maybe something's changed, but I ordered lots of top shelf liquor on the Escape, including Jack Daniels. I think I paid less than $2 over the maximum amount allowed for a drink twice the whole week. I'm finding Carnival's newer ships generally much more expensive than NCL's. This leads me to believe Carnival is moving away from hanging its hat on being known as the most affordable line.

I was searching NCL for cruises in Fall of 2019, and found something that told me exactly what the cost of the UBP is.

There was a "Sail Away" cabin, which is the lowest rate, and does not allow for any promotions. There was also a "Guarantee" which is exactly the same concept as the "Sail Away" but does permit promotions. Both were the exact same cabin category guarantee, which just means we can't choose the cabin - the room number is assigned by NCL any time up to day of sailing. They just guarantee the cabin will be within the category you purchase.

So, the difference in price between the two? $200 per person, and the only difference was the UBP. Yes, this does include the UBP service charge that was added.

So, Carnival charges $420 and NCL charges $200 for the drink package. Yes, Carnival includes a wider selection but you can pay $2 extra per drink or whatever on NCL to get the same selection. It seems clear to me NCL is the better value in beverage packages.

I was searching NCL for cruises in Fall of 2019, and found something that told me exactly what the cost of the UBP is.

There was a "Sail Away" cabin, which is the lowest rate, and does not allow for any promotions. There was also a "Guarantee" which is exactly the same concept as the "Sail Away" but does permit promotions. Both were the exact same cabin category guarantee, which just means we can't choose the cabin - the room number is assigned by NCL any time up to day of sailing. They just guarantee the cabin will be within the category you purchase.

So, the difference in price between the two? $200 per person, and the only difference was the UBP. Yes, this does include the UBP service charge that was added.

So, Carnival charges $420 and NCL charges $200 for the drink package. Yes, Carnival includes a wider selection but you can pay $2 extra per drink or whatever on NCL to get the same selection. It seems clear to me NCL is the better value in beverage packages.

I agree that NCL drink package is a better value than Carnival but I think RC’s drink package is better than both. Firstly, RC frequently has sales on their drink packages. Last fall I got the alcohol drink package for $40pd and it ncludes everything. Specialty coffee, bottled water, energy drinks, fresh squeezed OJ and any alcohol brands they offer. There are no wait limits, no caps on amounts of alcoholic drinks and no caps on price per drink.

I agree that NCL drink package is a better value than Carnival but I think RC’s drink package is better than both. Firstly, RC frequently has sales on their drink packages. Last fall I got the alcohol drink package for $40pd and it ncludes everything. Specialty coffee, bottled water, energy drinks, fresh squeezed OJ and any alcohol brands they offer. There are no wait limits, no caps on amounts of alcoholic drinks and no caps on price per drink.

...and it includes their private islands.

NCL charges, in reality, much more than Carnival, if you were paying for package, not just gratuities. I think it’s somewhere around $89/pd, where isn’t Carnival’s somewhere around $50/pd? I’ve never had the Carnival package, but have had the NCL package twice, because it was a promotion. I would never pay full price for it.

NCL charges, in reality, much more than Carnival, if you were paying for package, not just gratuities. I think it’s somewhere around $89/pd, where isn’t Carnival’s somewhere around $50/pd? I’ve never had the Carnival package, but have had the NCL package twice, because it was a promotion. I would never pay full price for it.

Nobody else would pay full price for it either. The price is a gimmick.

We have done both and find NCLs to be better and far less expensive. We did one of the 'pick 5' deals last year, after the kids were free and we added specialty dining, the difference to add UBP was going to be $130 each for my wife and I. Seemed like a no brainier.

I thought the drink selection was great. Plenty of upper shelve options. I think I found two cocktails that were over the $15 and nothing we would ever order anyway. Service was great. I will do this option every time on NCL.

Because nobody in their right mind would pay 89.00 per day, plus 20% gratuity for their drink package. Granted, it's unlimited, but it is capped at 15.00 per drink and only includes alcohol and fountain soda. But, you do get it for 125.00 per person for a 7 day cruise, which is the 20% gratuity charge.

When they offer the Free-at-sea promotion you can get the unlimited package but pay $15 per day for gratuities up front. If your choice of cocktail or wine is over $15 you pay the difference. We trend to drink way too much since it's "free" but it's a good deal for those who enjoy two or more drinks every day.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

The 15.00 per day for grats has been increased to 20% per day, or approximately 125.00 per person for a 7 day cruise, which I stated in the last line of my post that you quoted. I also mentioned the 15.00 cap limit per drink, which you restated in your post. I finally also stated that the NCL package only includes alcohol and fountain soda, which is less inclusive than what Carnival offers in their package, which is the purpose of this thread to begin with.

NCL no longer goes out of Houston, so Carnival wins this round. lol.

Only RCL and Carnival to choose between out of Galveston.

Doesnt matter what the price or promotions on NCL out of Florida are, Id rather drive to the port.

I think it depends what you drink and how much. We found that the gratuity fee of $90pp was well worth it. I have maybe 3 of those fancy drinks a day (martinis, Miami vice, etc). My husband throws a few beers in there along with Moscow Mules (ginger alcoholic drink), and daughter has her Virgin strawberry daiquiris. We probably wouldn’t have milkshakes or energy drinks, though I would like the specialty coffees included. So it is well worth it to us. The carnival breeze cruise I’m looking at is $2500 including nothing, I can do better with NCL or RC at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The whole promotion is a gimmick and some are buying it. Hook, line, and sinker.

Yes we did.

We wouldn’t buy it at $45 pp (times two) , but $250 for 7 days seems like a great price. Not sure we will even drink soda. Coffee doesn’t interest us too.

Geez, you got every one of the choices on the "choose one" promo I saw. Guess I need to shop around!

We got the same promo for our booking on a 7 day for next July. Free at Sea and we got to pick 4