Rudeness and bad attitudes of cruisers

bubblz1970

I just had to reply to your comments about scooter people. My hubby uses a scooter. He does not run into people but people cut in front of him constantly. They have actually cut in front of him as I was holding the elevator door for him & filled the elevator so we couldn't get in. There are 2 sides to every story, or in this case, 2 different type of people using scooters. We are all human. Good or bad.

Our last cruise out of New Orleans. A short cruise was also my worst cruise I have Been on where people were rude inconsiderate, shoving thru not waiting. I usually almost always go out of Galveston and while yes I see a few bad things go on, that New Orleans trip was probably twice as bad. I’m not sure if it was the short cruise or just where we sailed out of. I had the same experience. I also said I would switch cruise lines,but I will be on the breeze next week. I hope it’s better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Out of the thousands of passengers I have cruised with on Carnival, I can count on one hand how many I wish weren't there. Not bad odds are all.

The truth is, people are jerks everywhere you go. NCL and Royal aren't going to magically be free of jerks, and they are only exclusive to Carnival. Society has little to no consequence to jerks, so why would they stop? They are allowed to treat employees like garbage everywhere, and employees have to smile and do whatever they want.

I take offense to the scooter comments as well. How many of you cut in front of people using a scooter because of your inpatience? And how many of you force the elevator door to close rather than hold it open for a handicapped person? And how many refuse to move a little so the scooter can fit in? All my wife asks for is common courtesy.

I just had to reply to your comments about scooter people. My hubby uses a scooter. He does not run into people but people cut in front of him constantly. They have actually cut in front of him as I was holding the elevator door for him & filled the elevator so we couldn't get in. There are 2 sides to every story, or in this case, 2 different type of people using scooters. We are all human. Good or bad.
I agree, not all scooter people are bad and I have no issue waiting or assisting them if needed. I also have to say I witnessed the crew being so awesome in assisting passengers with special needs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Scooter or No Scooter; Handicapped or not Handicapped ...the issues is treating others as you would like to be treated without any expectation of being reciprocated.

We tend to pay-it-forward especially for the bad way we have been treated ...We wear our feelings on our finger tips and slam the next person who comes in our path based on the way the last person treated us for good or for evil.

Put a smile on your face and remember to say please and thank you. Some of us have forgotten that and some were never taught that because they never heard it at home.

Private Practice Determines Public Performance --- If the public behavior is atrocious ...just thank God you don't have to live with them.

Ramona

I think a lot of it has to do with where the ship embarks from. I'm not saying people from certain states are more rude than others but they have different attitudes. As a wild example so as not to offend anyone, if a ship sails from Michigan, you will see a lot of Michiganders on it. Michigander's attitudes may be completely different than say Alaskans.

And I feel sorry for anyone in a scooter or wheel chair waiting for an elevator. On one of our cruises, my SIL had just went through foot surgery and was in a wheel chair. Waiting in Cozumel to get back on an elevator, people shoved their way around her. After about the fifth time, her grand daughter said in a very loud and vulgar statement of what she would do to the next person that shoved past her. We got on the next elevator. Someone just walking up there may have thought she was rude, not knowing what we had already went through.

While I'm ranting, what's with people pushing to get into an elevator before the people in it try to get out. This doesn't only happen on ships either. It happens everywhere. Give the people a chance to get off before you get it.

I have never encountered a problem with someone in a scooter. Could be that is partly because I opt for the stairs over elevator.

My thinking is that all the energy I burn walking up steps helps to counter all those calories I am consuming!

I guess I have been lucky (or don't look for it). I've never really experienced extreme rudeness on a Carnival ship. I did experience it on an MSC ship. It was so widespread it couldn't be missed. I don't fault that cruise line, or any cruise line, for it though. It was probably just the luck of the draw.

As for little acts of rudeness, like entering an elevator before the people on it have exited, they seem no more widespread on a ship than anywhere else in 2018. And I'll stop right there before I get off subject.

Nice post. I agree that now and days people are much rude with little or no respect for others. I still teach my kids to say yes mam and yes sir but in today's society I see many others say f--- off or who cares attitude.

Our last cruise on the Vista, we experienced the most rudeness from people we ever have on a cruise. That wasn't the Vista's fault by any means, it was just rude people that don't really care about others. Eventually I had enough and a few people got told off because I was sick of it. The look on their selfish faces was priceless and while they probably went back to their old behavior after I said something for that small moment they stopped, realized that I wasn't real happy with them and chilled out and stopped being selfish. I'll do it again on this cruise on May 6th if I have to as well, I am the most polite person in the world unless you want to be a selfish jerk around me and try and push me or my family around.

We find most people on cruises to be nice and pleasant and interesting to talk to.

Find exceptions here and there but not many.

Most common rude people are those on a scooter who think they always have the right of way.

I agree with this 100%. Rarely have I run into or witnessed rude cruisers. People are generally polite and relaxed. Folks on scooters - well I've had one almost run over my daughter's foot. Never apologized. Was too busy forging their way to the ice cream machine. Very rude. Others barge their way in the elevator before people even get out! I mean you're on a scooter. You already dominate the space around you. Don't be so obnoxious.

Just a kindly suggestion for those who take it on themselves to point out perceived rude behavior to others (and risk something ugly happening}.Make sure you know that you know someone is being purposely rude before getting in their face about it. Sometimes, what appears to be rudeness can be someone making a mistake. For example, on our very first cruise my wife wanted an omelet. There was a long line to the left of the omelet station, a long line to the right, and a very short line (2-3 people) right in front of the guy making omelets. We assumed the two long lines were people getting food from the buffet and got in the very short line. A guy near the front of the long line on the right came up to us and stated, neither harshly nor particularly kindly, that "the end of the line is way back there." Apparently what we thought was the line for the omelet station was just two or three folks standing around or they were breaking line as well. It was rather embarrassing to us. My point is, don't assume someone is being a jerk. Sometimes they are simply making a mistake. What if the guy who pointed out the end of the line had gotten hostile with me? I assure you I would not have taken kindly to it, especially since we didn't realize we were breaking line. Causing a scene is never a good first option. Use some good judgment when you feel someone needs to be "put in their place," for your sake as well as theirs.

I have done 5 cruises on Carnival, and have one more booked on the Dream in Feb 2019. That will likely be our last on Carnival. This past Feb on the Vista was easily the rudest crowd I have ever experienced, and we are generally in for the night by 11 PM!

Many folks with scooters onboard don't drive them at home, so they are not really aware of how to handle them. Same thing happens in grocery stores when folks decide they need a scooter and don't know how to drive it. Scary to be in proximity to them!

I think a lot of it has to do with where the ship embarks from. I'm not saying people from certain states are more rude than others but they have different attitudes. As a wild example so as not to offend anyone, if a ship sails from Michigan, you will see a lot of Michiganders on it. Michigander's attitudes may be completely different than say Alaskans.
Boy, are you ever right. I live in Michigan and would never sail from certain states or certain cities for that matter. Put it this way, I'm from Michigan as well and I'd never sail from Detroit, St Louis, Chicago, Atlanta, (all in theory, there aren't any) and we had this issue out of New Orleans as well ........ They have different "attitudes" like you said .......

It never use to be that way. Just within the past couple of years.

RWolver672 you are correct about that. My wife and I noticed this back a couple years ago and did not really enjoy the cruise because of this type of behavior, which was prevalent among the guests. Carnival has decided to follow the route of "Short, Low Cost Cruises" which I believe brings in a lot of younger folks. We have since cruised with Princess, Celebrity and are trying Holland in a few weeks. I won't say I will never again cruise on Carnival but can assure you it will never be a short cruise or on the Vista Class.

I think a lot of it has to do with where the ship embarks from.

I’m not sure if it was the short cruise or just where we sailed out of. I had the same experience.

It's a little of both. Short Carnival cruises have a certain reputation to begin with but add in a short cruise out of NOLA and you have a high potential for what the OP experienced. I have no problem admitting it....people around here, while they might give you the shirt off their back, can be very aggressive and pushy, especially once alcohol is brought in to the equation.

I just recently sailed the Sunshine, returned April 22. We did have a great time but this will be our last on Carnival, too loud and crowded. After having sailed on the Celebrity Summit 2 years ago we noticed a big difference. Much more refined and upscale. Will stick to Celebrity or Princess for future cruises. At 62, Im done with Carnival but still feed they offer a good experience for the money.

Bob from NJ

I had ankle surgery years ago and needed to use a scooter for an event that would have involved a lot of walking... boy did it open my eyes to the other side of the story!

I've experienced those rude people in scooters who will push ahead and run over people and generally act like being in a scooter entitles them to do what they want, where they want, without regard to others.

But that one day I was in the scooter, I found just as many if not more rude people who cut me off, butted in front of me, stopped dead in front of me then yelled at me for hitting their leg with the scooter!

I now go out of my way to ensure that people in scooters or wheelchairs are able to access elevators- I've actually stopped others from pushing in front of them when the handicapped individual has been waiting longer. It's gotten me a few dirty looks, but the one person who yelled at me ended getting off the elevator when I shamed him for pushing a couple- one in a scooter the other with a walker- out of his way so he and his family could crowd onto the elevator... I asked him if he paid more for his cruise than this lovely old couple did, and what made him so privileged!

As someone here said, when someone appears rude, give them gentle correction, don't assume they're deliberately being obnoxious... but when it's obvious that they are, I'm not afraid to speak up, especially if they're also being a bully about it.