I am now onboard Grand and having some problems

RavennaM

Don't give up, don't ever give up...

Jimmy V

so how was the room condition and did Princess take care of the shoes/etc that got flooded?

Room is tolerable now. Floor is still wet so we have to were fliplops. But luckily smell is gone. That does not change a fact that we are still living in a room full of sewage.

They just moved our shoes in the middle of the cabin. Most of them are ok, only one pair I will have to throw away.

Sorry for your issues. First I would demand a meeting with the Hotel Director at this point. You can have a letter that highlights your points. I would give him a copy and also have him sign a copy. I would also inform him/her that if he does not resolve to your complete satisfaction you will dispute the whole cruise charge with the credit card service. I would also be posting on Social Media, and emailing the CDC and the corporate office. I would never take the word of the cabin attendant or low level Guest Services.

Myself I go another step, I have a Maritime Law Attorney that I use, and he is the first one I contact. So even before meeting with the Hotel Director, my attorney has messaged the cruise line in question tell them I have a issue that he hopes can be resolved without any future involvement by him. Cruise lines will push passengers around and walk all over you until they find out you will not allow them to do so. Hope you can resolve this.

Oh, yeah, that's the way to handle a problem, start demanding and right off the bat bring a lawyer into it. That's really the way to start anything like that--in a contentious manner. That puts everybody in a cooperative mood.:mad:

Tom

ive actually been on a cruise when a passenger camped out in the atrium, i didnt actually see it but it was the talk of the ship. They had a new cabin and a load of obc within 2 hours

OP: have they offered to replace the ruined shoes? If not, ask.

It's a PITA to go through your insurance.

Been there, done that. You have to track down how much you paid for them, a receipt is best (but who keeps receipts for shoes?), fill out a pile of paperwork, send it in, wait. Then when you get reimbursement (if there isn't a deductible in play), you get 80% minus wear and tear. So, if you had the shoes for 4 years, paid $100, you might get $50.

Make Princess comp a new pair of shoes.

ive actually been on a cruise when a passenger camped out in the atrium, i didnt actually see it but it was the talk of the ship. They had a new cabin and a load of obc within 2 hours

If I were to camp out in the atrium in what I normally wear to bed I'm sure there would be some kind of reaction. The other passengers might revolt!

If I were to camp out in the atrium in what I normally wear to bed I'm sure there would be some kind of reaction. The other passengers might revolt!

If I read correctly what you are implying, it may land you in the brig. ;p

We had a pipe burst on Crown in January (they told us it was clean water). Our cabin was only moderately affected, where they propped the door and balcony open and ran blowers for a half-day. A few cabins over they ripped out the carpet and carpet pad to get dry stuff in because of how wet it was (and the carpet smelled pretty funky when wet). I think they moved the person even though we were on a sold-out holiday cruise. So I would keep asking for help.

I also don't consider toilet water backup to be clean water... it's clogged at something and that something likely isn't "clean".

0c3c538e384d72a46db235416f41583f.jpg

This is supposedly clean water....this sediment, which looked like fine metallic powder would appear overnight on two or three occasions during our most recent 7 day sailing on the Ruby.

I’ve heard of grey water, but this is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone while I probably should be working.

Hey guys,

Cabin is D206. We did not get a new cabin or any compensation, at least not yet. I am honestly so tired of speaking with the people in guest service that I might just give up and try to enjoy rest of the cruise.

Forget guest services. Ask for the Hotel GM and don't leave until he comes out to talk to you. His name and photo are on the wall on deck 7 with all the other crew.

Why I don't sail on the Grand even though she is berth'd 30 miles from my home.

IMHO...It's time to replace the Grand. We've had these issues more than once on the Grand. We love having a Princess ship to hop on in SF. We are just across the bay too.

We woke up in the middle of the night to water flowing out of the toilet on the Ruby a few years ago. We were taken to another cabin for the rest of the night. The carpet was replaced, chocolate strawberries delivered to our cabin.

**No need to call a lawyer**:rolleyes:

That sounds lovely' date=' but unless your next port is in the US, the CDC has no authority. Yes, the CDC maintains a "Vessel Sanitation Program," but their authority ends where international waters start.

I think the best solution is a meeting with the hotel manager and taking him to see the room as it is now, after 8 hours of attempted fixes. Sure, contact the CDC...but they won't help you tonight![/quote']

That's not quite correct. Because the USPH/CDC is mandated to keep infectious diseases from entering the US, they have the mandate to board, inspect, and question crew and passengers about their current health, for every ship, foreign and US flag, that enters the US from a foreign port. As you can imagine, the cruise lines do not want to have a full sanitation inspection, and a health interview of hundreds of passengers and crew each and every week. Therefore, the VSP was initiated. The VSP allows the cruise ships that participate to only be inspected twice a year, at random times, provided that they follow the VSP requirements at all times (even in international waters and in foreign ports). One aspect of the VSP is housekeeping, so a wet or moldy carpet is of concern to them. However, as you point out, they cannot do anything for the OP at the moment, and the only response to their call would possibly be a USPH inspection at the next US port call of the ship.

For those who think that toilet overflows are "raw sewage", its not. As another poster stated, the toilet flushed and then the water continued to run. This is just like your toilet at home, where the water valve sticks, and the water continues to run into the bowl. However, since the vacuum toilet does not have an open passage from the bowl to the sanitary drain pipes (your toilet has a simple loop seal, where when the water level gets to a certain level, the excess merely flows down the drain pipe), but instead has a closed valve (which keeps the vacuum in the pipes), additional water will simply fill the bowl and overflow. This is the same water as comes out of the sink and shower.

The only raw sewage you will get from a vacuum toilet is if you press the flush button to get rid of your own waste, the discharge valve does not open to empty the bowl, but the water valve does open and the additional water overflows. The discharge valve is spring closed, and the spring is sufficiently strong that it will always close and provide a stoppage from any waste water in the piping from backing into the toilet.

As for the deposits seen in the toilet, this is caused by the rubber pipe that runs around under the rim of the bowl (your toilet at home has a cast in passage and openings to distribute the water around the rim while flushing) to distribute the water. As these rubber hoses age, they tend to pass fine rubber particles into the bowl, which will accumulate around the periphery of the water as shown in the photo.

Hey guys,

Cabin is D206. We did not get a new cabin or any compensation, at least not yet. I am honestly so tired of speaking with the people in guest service that I might just give up and try to enjoy rest of the cruise.

If you just stay with the line Guest Services people you will get nothing done. Upper management will not get involved. They want you to "... just give up and try to enjoy rest of the cruise...." Because that get rid of the problem for them.

You should have already had a meeting with the Hotel Director and other upper management like the Staff Captain. You really have no idea if the cabin is safe and it has really been cleaned and the problem resolved. Just by looking and smell you have a very limited picture of the true. Again sorry it has happen to you.

If you just stay with the line Guest Services people you will get nothing done. Upper management will not get involved. They want you to "... just give up and try to enjoy rest of the cruise...." Because that get rid of the problem for them.

You should have already had a meeting with the Hotel Director and other upper management like the Staff Captain. You really have no idea if the cabin is safe and it has really been cleaned and the problem resolved. Just by looking and smell you have a very limited picture of the true. Again sorry it has happen to you.

If guest services cannot/will not help you must go to higher level. Do it nicely and they will take care of you

IMHO...It's time to replace the Grand. We've had these issues more than once on the Grand. We love having a Princess ship to hop on in SF. We are just across the bay too.

We woke up in the middle of the night to water flowing out of the toilet on the Ruby a few years ago. We were taken to another cabin for the rest of the night. The carpet was replaced, chocolate strawberries delivered to our cabin.

**No need to call a lawyer**:rolleyes:

Thank you.

Please target practice for the Navy...soon

We were flooded from the cabin next to us... did take 2 days to dry our cabin out, no smell. water did not see, dirty, there were kids in the cabin next to us... we assumed they let the tub over flow... we did not complain to anyone , management knew about the problem... had to change all the carpet in the room next to us, they did not move anyone to another room, ship fulll. They gave us a free dinner at the Crown Grill, this happened the 2nd to last night on the ship. Ref brown or dirty water, had brown rusty water on the Royal one night when I drew a bath... only happened once... kind of strange. I cruise on the Grand often, rarely have a problem...

Yellow to red/brown water is typically caused when a section of the water piping is shut down to repair. The calcium carbonate (antacid used in Tums, used here to control pH) and chlorine in the ship's water will form a scale on the inside of the pipes over time. As long as there is water in the pipes, this scale stays in place on the pipe wall. When the pipe is emptied to repair a section, the scale dries out and breaks off, and when the water is returned to the pipes, it is circulated out. However, the short legs from the mains running down the hallway to your cabin sink/shower are "static" (no water flow unless you open the valve), so some of this scale will accumulate in these pipes, and will show as discolored water until cleared, usually a minute or two.

I agree.... I would find out the names of the highest powers-that-be, and stand there, with stuff in-tow, until something happens.

I think some real cajones are required here.

(And, I can admit, that I can sometimes have more than my husband! Hahahaha!!!!)

If that carpet is still wet, THAT is a problem.

Others have posted about new carpeting being brought in.... At the very least, they should have you vacate the cabin for one day while this takes place.

0c3c538e384d72a46db235416f41583f.jpg

This is supposedly clean water....this sediment, which looked like fine metallic powder would appear overnight on two or three occasions during our most recent 7 day sailing on the Ruby.

I’ve heard of grey water, but this is ridiculous.

Have you posted this on the bottled water threads....

People are saying one should drink the ship's water, without question or concern.

I want my bottled spring water!

Have you posted this on the bottled water threads....

People are saying one should drink the ship's water, without question or concern.

I want my bottled spring water!

A very knowledgeable member posted the following about the toilet sediment:

As for the deposits seen in the toilet, this is caused by the rubber pipe that runs around under the rim of the bowl (your toilet at home has a cast in passage and openings to distribute the water around the rim while flushing) to distribute the water. As these rubber hoses age, they tend to pass fine rubber particles into the bowl, which will accumulate around the periphery of the water as shown in the photo.

It's got to have been more entertaining then the Karioke (sp) lounge.