I am now onboard Grand and having some problems

RavennaM

Have you posted this on the bottled water threads....

People are saying one should drink the ship's water, without question or concern.

I want my bottled spring water!

Yeah, I don't take my water from the toilet. However, you never know how many animals have done their business in those natural springs ...

IMHO...It's time to replace the Grand. We've had these issues more than once on the Grand. We love having a Princess ship to hop on in SF. We are just across the bay too.

We woke up in the middle of the night to water flowing out of the toilet on the Ruby a few years ago. We were taken to another cabin for the rest of the night. The carpet was replaced, chocolate strawberries delivered to our cabin.

**No need to call a lawyer**:rolleyes:

Ditto.

Sorry to hear the Grand is still having problems. I will not go back on her after my experience last June. Its just too old and too patched together.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's got to have been more entertaining then the Karioke (sp) lounge.

Or you could DO karaoke while in the Atrium. That might speed things up?

Humour aside, I do hope you find resolution to this. Learning so much about ways to cope with issues, I pray I don't encounter here...

Thank you.

Please target practice for the Navy...soon

When princess ships get old, they are sent to australia.

No commentary, just an observation.

Target practice? And deprive the australians of this gem!?!?!

It is time for grand to go. The tribe has spoken.

It looks like the Grand has a 2.5 weeks dry dock in March 2019. Might they fix some of the issues then?

After hearing about the golden after drydock last month now problems with Hvac, plumbing, leaks etc , I wouldn't cross fingers about the grand.

Cheers Don

But a feel for the OP, you go on holiday to enjoy yourself. Also I think it could have been handled a lot better.... great people turn a failure into a winner.

Room is tolerable now. Floor is still wet so we have to were fliplops. But luckily smell is gone. That does not change a fact that we are still living in a room full of sewage.

They just moved our shoes in the middle of the cabin. Most of them are ok, only one pair I will have to throw away.

Hi Ravenna M....Just saw this post on cc. This happened to me three years ago on the Caribbean Princess. At 4 am. Three cabins invloved. The one with the flood had 2 +inches of water from the toilet..Both cabins on left and right had water..I was on the right and had about one inch of water swishing back and forth..(the ship was rocking that night). It was a sold out cruise and only the middle cabin passengers got another room for the night/day. They said the cabin had paint cans and hammers, saws, etc. But a dry bed.

My husband and I and the other couple were told no rooms and left to fend for ourselves at 4:15am. I was not outraged that there was a flood..come on..I'm a home owner and sh*t happens (no punt intended). What upset me very much was the fact that no one gave a damn about us...BTW..laying on the couches in the atrium at 4:30 am does not get you a cabin..not even a free cup of coffee from the international cafe.

Long story short..we went on our planned excursion that day and when we returned they were still drying the rug with a fan. We had new curtains and bedskirt. They gave us complimentary slippers..that squished as you walked over the rug..I had the hotel manager come up and asked him to remove his shoes before he came in..and asked for an honest opinion if he would accept this for seven more days. They replaced the middle rooms carpet while I was out (but not mine) and then I said that since they could not move me..only a new carpet would be acceptable..I was concerned with mold. My husband and I could get sick.

It took them about one and a half hours to replace the carpet. They were reluctant at first because they had no more blue carpet. I told them if my carpet and curtains clashed I didn't really care. It was our cabin steward who told us to keep insisting. I stayed calm and polite the whole time. Everyone had guidelines to follow from someone else above them and demanding and yelling gets you nowhere.

We were given OBC the next day that was equal to one days cabin cost. When I got home I called Princess to talk directly to a manger at customer relations. I expressed my extreme disappointment at how my husband and I were left on our own at 4 am with nowhere to go. Absolutely no concern for their passengers who were left "homeless" at sea. I received another OBC for a future cruise equal to one days cost. I also said I was surprised that there is not at least 5% rooms left vacant for such emergencies. (most hotels do). He said that cruise lines aim for 100% and it looked like I was on one of those sailings.

I don't know how many days are left for your cruise. But do consider telling the Hotel Manager that a mold/funky smell is starting to bother you and yours and a new carpet must be installed. They keep spare carpet on board and you don't care the color...just dry and clean. After all you don't want to get sick and that would involved a whole new set of problems for the cruiseline. If on board for a few more days a new carpet will give you peace of mind.

Luckily, nothing was damaged for me..I'm a neat freak and don't keep things on the floor...our luggage was not under the bed but in the closet..as soon as we woke up (the sound of the machine to suck up the water next door) we threw the luggage on top of the bed. The deepest water was by the balcony door..That's why I thought we were sinking..lol....I know the people who were in the middle cabin had a lot of things damaged (luggage and shoes, etc.) and were given a claim number before they left the ship.

BTW I just returned from our 5th cruise on the Caribbean Princess..we get the same room all the time..I love the gold carpet with the brown rings.

Happy sailing . Hope the rest of your cruise is smooth and dry!

About 3 years ago we had a similar experience on the Ruby Princess which happened when we are out and about during a sea day. When DW returned to our cabin everything on the floor was soaked, the steward had put many of our things up on the bed, and the cabin was a mess. A few minutes later two officers came by the cabin and appologized. They explained that a pipe in our bathroom had broken (while our steward was cleaning) and the bathroom overflow drain did not function..hence our cabin (and the one underneath) suffered lots of water damage. The staff took all of our wet items (including luggage, shoes, etc) and managed to clean and dry them so there was no apparent damage. We were quickly moved to another cabin...which had just been vacated by a couple who had to go home due to a medical emergency.

In the case of the OP we would demand similar service. If not quickly rectified we would go to Guest Relations and politely insist on a quick meeting with the Hotel Manager. In nearly all cases this strategy will work. If not, then perhaps we would have to become more assertive. I do like the idea of "bedding down" in the Atrium or near the Guest Relations desk :). When Security comes by to ask for an explanation we would simply tell them that our cabin in not habitable and we are open to suggestions :).

Hank

About 3 years ago we had a similar experience on the Ruby Princess which happened when we are out and about during a sea day. When DW returned to our cabin everything on the floor was soaked, the steward had put many of our things up on the bed, and the cabin was a mess. A few minutes later two officers came by the cabin and appologized. They explained that a pipe in our bathroom had broken (while our steward was cleaning) and the bathroom overflow drain did not function..hence our cabin (and the one underneath) suffered lots of water damage. The staff took all of our wet items (including luggage, shoes, etc) and managed to clean and dry them so there was no apparent damage. We were quickly moved to another cabin...which had just been vacated by a couple who had to go home due to a medical emergency.

In the case of the OP we would demand similar service. If not quickly rectified we would go to Guest Relations and politely insist on a quick meeting with the Hotel Manager. In nearly all cases this strategy will work. If not, then perhaps we would have to become more assertive. I do like the idea of "bedding down" in the Atrium or near the Guest Relations desk :). When Security comes by to ask for an explanation we would simply tell them that our cabin in not habitable and we are open to suggestions :).

These kind of things do happen on all ships and are normally handled well....by the staff. Two weeks ago while on the Golden Princess (in Asia) our ship was hit by a heavy thunderstorm in the middle of the night. Several mini-suites on D deck were flooded from overflow water on the Caribe Deck balconies (above). Our cabin steward (who had one of these cabins under his charge) was running around like a crazy person trying to save the brand new carpet (the Golden had just come from dry dock where she got lots of new carpeting).

Hank

It now been four days and the OP is still in a cabin that has issues. Sorry to those who do not believe in the all out heavy handed way to handling things. If the OP had gone 100% on day one they who not still have issues. Four days and no meeting with the Hotel Director (Report). That meeting should have happen within 4 hours.

It is clear the OP is a nice caring person and doesn't want to make waves..... But this is exactly what the cruise lines want, it limits the cost involved. I can say 100% guaranteed if it was my cabin I would not be in it four days later, the issue would have been resolved one way or another. I feel sorry for the OP.....

While traveling with friends on the Ruby last Fall we had the same experience . I was met with total indifference when I explained my situation at the Customer Relations desk . At this point I began to take names and told them I wanted to speak to their Superior . I explained that it was totally unacceptable to be denied a clean dry room and posed the question What would you and your staff do if this happened to your parents ? An empty room was found and the next day a fair compensation settlement was offered and accepted . The moral of the story is calmly explain your problem, provide an acceptable solution and be assertive.

While traveling with friends on the Ruby last Fall we had the same experience . I was met with total indifference when I explained my situation at the Customer Relations desk . At this point I began to take names and told them I wanted to speak to their Superior . I explained that it was totally unacceptable to be denied a clean dry room and posed the question What would you and your staff do if this happened to your parents ? An empty room was found and the next day a fair compensation settlement was offered and accepted . The moral of the story is calmly explain your problem, provide an acceptable solution and be assertive.

I totally agree with you...be firm but calm. As I said in my previous post..I got a new carpet installed and compensation that was satisfactory to me without going ballistic. I think asking the Hotel Manger to take off his shoes and come into the cabin helped..

Problems aren't only on old ships. I sailed the Royal's second sailing in Europe in July a few years ago. No air for almost 15 hours...the chocolate melted off the strawberries.

We haven't heard anything from the OP since Tuesday midday..hopefully he got the situation resolved and is enjoying the rest of the cruise.

If not being offered another cabin,at least the carpet needs to be replaced.

There is no reason that the OP needs to have a “weird” smell in the cabin.

At the very least, this smell causes an uncomfortable situation. At the very worst, it could cause illness.

Being an asthmatic, the wet carpet would cause me to have a serious reaction as I am sensitive to mildew and mold.

I think that extra carpet is stored on cruise ships for replacement purposes. There is no reason passengers should be expected to put up with wet or damp carpet in a cabin.

If I was th OP, I certainly would be voicing my displeasure of the situation in my cabin to Passenger Services, the Hotel Director, the Circle Host ,

Housekeeping Manager and,if necessary, to the Medical Center to at least get the carpet replaced.

Please do not put up with this type of treatment. You have doubtless paid a lot of money for your cruise..and to suffer a flood is not what you signed up for !!

Obviously, accidents happen..the important thing is how they are dealt with..what you are experiencing is dreadful customer service.

No one should be 'living' in a cabin with damp carpets..think about your health !!! Let alone personal belongings being ruined. Your whole cruise experience has been affected.

We had a very different issue, on another cruiseline. Some clerks at Guest services were useless...some unable to understand English, we kept returning. Each time speaking to someone higher up the 'chain' .The person who was able to finally resolve the issue for us, was the Captain's Circle (or equivalent) Host. She checked our booking and issue was sorted in minutes.

Your issue needs the 'Purser' ( or Hotel Manager or whatever fancy title they have today). I would insist (politely) on speaking with him/her.

If you don't get any sense, I would ask for a call to be placed to Corporate Headquarters We were allowed a free call to our Travel Agent when we had our issue..which was minor in comparison with what you are suffering !. As others have said...Social Media may also do the trick !

Good Luck !

With no other passenger cabin to be moved to. Can't they have one one or in the entertainment staff (that have a cabin in the non crew area) double up with another staff member and give theses passengers their cabin? To me this seems like a way to get them a cabin.

With no other passenger cabin to be moved to. Can't they have one one or in the entertainment staff (that have a cabin in the non crew area) double up with another staff member and give theses passengers their cabin? To me this seems like a way to get them a cabin.

I think this is a very good idea.

Crew should be in the crew area..not using passenger cabins.

I also think they should eat in the crew mess.

(Yes, I am a grumpy old woman !!)

We had a tablemate who was a guest entertainer on one of our cruises. We're glad she and her husband weren't relegated to eat in the crew mess. On another cruise (HAL), we became friends with the Catholic priest onboard for Christmas. His table in the dining room was next to ours. He said he had a small inside cabin on the lowest level. It was still among the passenger cabins.

Friends of mine get free cruises for directing bridge on the lines that still do this. They sometimes pay to upgrade from the inside cabin they'd otherwise get.

That's kinda an extreme way to take it. I think another way is that cruise ships are crowded enough as it is, especially areas like the buffet and the pool. While no one is saying that the crew deserves lesser treatment, if we're paying this much for a vacation we want to enjoy it. It's hard enough sometimes to enjoy a cruise with the crowds scrambling for the last over-cooked fry and people reserving pool chairs 9 hours in advance. If the crew have designated areas for themsevles in their off-time, it allows there to be more room for the guests. Plus, I'm sure the crew is sick and tired of dealing with us all the time and a little "away time" from the guests might be a welcome relief.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I have read (probably here on cruise critic) that only officers and entertainers/guest lecturers are allowed to eat at the buffet or specialty restaurants. I have seen that on numerous cruises and it doesn't bother me in the least. The officers should be out and. The entertainers and guest lecturers (a very small number of the total people on the ship) are also in the public relations business for the cruise line - why should they not be allowed out in public? When we've been on cruises with guest lecturers and guest entertainers they frequently encourage passengers to stop and chat when they're seen out and about. The vast majority of the crew (housekeeping, wait staff, etc.) are not permitted to use the public areas and probably prefer to have some down time away from passengers.

Edited by capriccio

Since we are all sharing our “Grand” issue stories, on my Hawaiian cruise last year April/May our neighbors on Caribe deck flooded their bathroom and our balcony cabin. To make a long story short I am a kidney transplant recipient and should be very careful and avoid getting sick at all costs. Three phone calls and two in cabin meetings later, all we got was fans running for 4 days. The indifference by our room steward and head room steward was the most shocking aspect of the whole ordeal. In the end, Princess credited our folios one hundred each.

After 15 cruises on Princess, this was our first real problem like this, however the way it was handled was pretty low class even after paying nearly 8 thousand dollars to take the trip.

Last December we took the Carnival Fantasy out of Mobile, AL for a little 5-day cruise. It was my Mother In Law's first time cruising, and in the end we all have day great time. The only problem we had was some of her medicine needed to be refrigerated. We requested and received a medical cooler, which in reality is just a mini-fridge. One day, the room steward unplugged it so they could vacuum and never plugged it back in. I went to guest services, spoke with them, and their manager/director took with me to the medical facility and we spoke with the Dr. on board. Luckily the medicine could survive the amount of time the cooler was unplugged and all was good. Carnival even sent us a fruit and cheese platter as an apology. I gotta say I was impressed with the way they handled it.a

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I think this is a very good idea.

Entertainers are staff, not crew. They don't share in tips. Most staff are professionals and make decent wages. They are not slaves. Most of them have cabins on deck 4, but some staff members do have cabins on passenger decks. But they are LIVING in these cabins for 5-6 months at a time. They have ALL their possessions in these cabins. It's not practical to have someone in that situation pack up all their belongings over and over again because of an unfortunate incident with another guest cabin. It's the cruiseline's decision to allocate some passenger cabins for staff for whatever reason (not enough cabins on deck 4 perhaps) and the cruiseline chooses not to sell those cabins. Crew are usually not allowed in passenger areas when they are off duty, nor can they eat at the buffet. Some staff can eat wherever and whenever they want, but many of them are limited to the buffet only during "off" hours, i.e. not main meal hours. And the percentage of staff that are using the facilities you are so concerned about is very small compared to the number of crew. None of this takes away from the very unfortunate incident with the OP, and I agree that Princess should do something to compensate her.

I've not encountered a situation before where a cruise line sold out every passenger cabin. I am aware of the "fire sale" policy that Princess uses...but I wonder how often the situation of a serious cabin problem occurs and what the value of the bad publicity they are getting is to their bottom line. Even one inside "emergency" cabin would seem a reasonable compromise.