Carnival Horizon $$$

Really looking to book the Horizon departing December 29, 2018, but the prices are more than double the other dates. I have cruised Carnival over the New Year before and it was never this expensive. SO, what gives? Is it worth it for the itinerary and the new ship? Or find another Carnival?

Ive got my eye on a cruise that is more than I want to pay.

Im sitting on my hands and waiting until its within last 90 days and final payment is past hoping for a reduction.

How much do you want this particular ship and itinerary?? compare other choices and easier to decide. In my case I only want the one choice, so Im going to wait, but if I dont get it Im ok.

Prices for cruises the week of Christmas and New Year's Eve are always running about double the prices. Supply and demand, limited supply and lots of people with children on school vacation. Hope you like kids as ship will be filled with them.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Check and compare to the other brand new 2018 ships like the Harmony of the Seas, NCL Bliss and Celebrity Edge and you'll see the percentage increase should be right in line with them. If you need to save a little, check pricing on the MSC Seaside.

Really looking to book the Horizon departing December 29, 2018, but the prices are more than double the other dates. I have cruised Carnival over the New Year before and it was never this expensive. SO, what gives? Is it worth it for the itinerary and the new ship? Or find another Carnival?

No wait a year.

DW and I booked a B2B on Horizon covering the Thanksgiving period (Nov 11& Nov17) over a year ago and have watched the prices for all cabins increase time and time again. Pays to book in advance. Lock in your choice of cabin, vacation dates for planning, and get low prices.

Horizon is definitely at a premium. We are booked for Aug 28 out of New York and it's about 40% higher than comparable sailings out of Florida. I figured it's a combination of a new ship and being out of New York, which locals like me would happily pay a premium for as we don't have to get on a plane to catch our cruise. In your case, it's 2 days to year end, and I would expect cruises over that week to be much more expensive. It's the same as on land, hotel rates from December 27-28 onwards skyrocket in a lot of places, and come down to normal after Jan 2. Thanksgiving as well, airfares are crazy that week.

I don't think prices are going to come down. Maybe you can wait till final payment date. If they have a lot of cancellations, maybe they will offer a flash sale. But it's an off-chance.

Horizon is definitely at a premium. We are booked for Aug 28 out of New York and it's about 40% higher than comparable sailings out of Florida. I figured it's a combination of a new ship and being out of New York, which locals like me would happily pay a premium for as we don't have to get on a plane to catch our cruise. In your case, it's 2 days to year end, and I would expect cruises over that week to be much more expensive. It's the same as on land, hotel rates from December 27-28 onwards skyrocket in a lot of places, and come down to normal after Jan 2. Thanksgiving as well, airfares are crazy that week.

I don't think prices are going to come down. Maybe you can wait till final payment date. If they have a lot of cancellations, maybe they will offer a flash sale. But it's an off-chance.

Fully agree Baby_bear that not having to pay for airfare, pre cruise hotel, checked luggage etc is the trade off for higher prices than sailing out of FL. I would be Diamond if I lived down south!

The funny thing was, when I did a price comparison for New York vs Florida departures, even after factoring in the pre cruise hotel, airfare, etc., it still worked out slightly cheaper than sailing out of New York. Which shows you what a premium Carnival is charging. Norwegian was not so high but the itinerary was boring (just Bahamas) and was an older ship, and Carnival had the more interesting itinerary and the ship is new. And tbh, with the amount of traveling for work everyone in my family is doing this year, the thought of not having to get on another plane is suddenly more attractive!

Simple supply and demand economics at work... Could also be NY charges more for accessing the port than Florida does which jacks up the price. And other costs could be higher in NY as well, such as fuel. Could be many things that make cost in NY more than FL other then Carnival charging a premium. Or could be combination of both....

The funny thing was, when I did a price comparison for New York vs Florida departures, even after factoring in the pre cruise hotel, airfare, etc., it still worked out slightly cheaper than sailing out of New York. Which shows you what a premium Carnival is charging. Norwegian was not so high but the itinerary was boring (just Bahamas) and was an older ship, and Carnival had the more interesting itinerary and the ship is new. And tbh, with the amount of traveling for work everyone in my family is doing this year, the thought of not having to get on another plane is suddenly more attractive!

Simple supply and demand economics at work... Could also be NY charges more for accessing the port than Florida does which jacks up the price. And other costs could be higher in NY as well, such as fuel. Could be many things that make cost in NY more than FL other then Carnival charging a premium. Or could be combination of both....

I agree. I am sure MY charges the cruise line more than FL.

As stated, it is supply and demand. Cruise fares are higher because there is less competition (fewer ships). New York on a weekend can have 4 or 5 and Miami can have 10 or 12.... same for port Everglades and Canaveral etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As stated, it is supply and demand. Cruise fares are higher because there is less competition (fewer ships). New York on a weekend can have 4 or 5 and Miami can have 10 or 12.... same for port Everglades and Canaveral etc.

On a very busy weekend NY has 2.

People don’t have to fly to Florida, so lines can charge more

Holiday prices. Either go or don’t. I’d probably book for next year if it is i of concern