Help with I'd problem

willtup5

The one who told me she had traveled all over the world and didn't need to read the packing instructions was the one who showed up at the TSA checkpoint with probably $200 worth of full sized toiletries in her carry on. Fortunately someone had a bag that suddenly did double duty as a piece of checked luggage so she didn't have to toss all her junk.

...and I'll bet the words "thank you" never passed through her spoiled rotten lips.

If I were the chaperone I would have insisted she purchase the suitcase at full replacement value from the person with a spare, otherwise "toss all her junk" (as you so aptly put it).

...and I'll bet the words "thank you" never passed through her spoiled rotten lips.

If I were the chaperone I would have insisted she purchase the suitcase at full replacement value from the person with a spare, otherwise "toss all her junk" (as you so aptly put it).

You got that right.

Yes, it does.

I hope you have travel insurance! And the answer is NO. She won't be allowed to board without either a passport or a birth certificate AND a government I.D.

My dad boarded the NCL Pearl without his birth certificate in 2007. For some strange reason he was carrying my sister's. Solution was my BIL retrieved his and faxed it to them. I don't remember how customs was handled at the end of the cruise. But we were able to board and celebrate my parents 50th wedding anniversary. The Alzheimer's diagnosis came soon after.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

My family gets upset with me when I ask them twice if they have their passports. Beats that alternative!
Princess and our travel agent have sent us 3 times in the past 2 weeks identification/proof of citizenship for boarding. Not only that' date=' it states it right on your boarding docs. Looks like Princess just made a nice profit off of irresponsibility.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

Not only that, it states it right on your boarding docs. Looks like Princess just made a nice profit off of irresponsibility.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

Not necessarily. Princess plans on a certain amount of onboard spending from the "average" cabin. Whether the cabin goes empty on this cruise or the individual who has documents cruises solo, Princess will likely see less spending than they would have had both passengers boarded. True that Princess will save a small amount on food costs, but the rest of the cruise costs are largely fixed--staff, fuel, etc. won't change.

I don’t think it’s a stupid reason. Stupid might be...

1) so drunk you over slept

2) took a flight to LA when you were cruising from San Francisco

3) took flight to departure port, but never booked the cruise.

4)

No, it's stupid!

I’m obsessive about having our passports and check atleast twice a day while traveling to ensure we have them before we board. I keep our global entry cards in a separate location, if something happens to our passports we can use those on closed loop cruises, which is the majority of our cruises (currently). Also keep scanned copies of our passports on Dropbox so we can access them from everywhere.

It is careless, but I think most people live in fear of this. It can happen to anyone if you are not careful. One cruise, my wife and I had our passports (or so I thought) set out, and were getting ready to go. Just before we left the house, I checked the passports one last time. Somehow we had our two sons' passports. One of us had grabbed the wrong two passports off of the desk. If we had not checked, we would have missed the cruise. Always triple check!

I don't think it would do any good for actual cruising, but I have also scanned and e-mailed copies of our passports to myself...and plunked them into a "save" file. It would help if a passport was lost or stolen during a trip as it would facilitate getting the replacement. Compulsive me typically carries a xerox copy as well, but the electronic one would be easier to access. We also make a point of using our passports to check in at the airport. I'd rather get there and realize a problem, even if it meant rescheduling flights, than getting to the cruise port.

We also make a point of using our passports to check in at the airport. I'd rather get there and realize a problem' date=' even if it meant rescheduling flights, than getting to the cruise port.[/quote']

This is a great idea!!

what about the mobile passport app. You load all your info into it and show it customs

Keep in mind that the OP was talking about a Birth Certificate which likely means she did not have a Passport. The mobile Passport App only works with a valid Passport and is actually not a replacement for the Passport...but simply an app that helps expedite processing at the port or airport.

Hank

My BF gets really snippy when I "nag" him about things like this. I get "You're not my MOTHER. I'm a grown man!" Our last cruise a few month ago, we got maybe a mile from home and I just said "You DO have your passport, right?"

Quietly he turned the car around, drove home, went in the house, came out w/ his passport. I was rolling my eyes so hard that I'm surprised they didn't get stuck that way. :rolleyes:

my wife, of 42 years, thank-you, takes care of all that...thank goodness.

my "job" is to research cruises, then after we've picked one, I do all the computer work from my home office...booking, monitoring prices, printing docs...

works very well for us :hearteyes:..:hearteyes:..:hearteyes:

If you leave your DL at home, does a passport check both boxes?

Yes. Passport proves who you are AND that you are a citizen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

what about the mobile passport app. You load all your info into it and show it customs

Mobile passport just gets you into the short line. I got reprimanded because I wasn’t holding my passport open for the him to look at.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is careless, but I think most people live in fear of this. It can happen to anyone if you are not careful. One cruise, my wife and I had our passports (or so I thought) set out, and were getting ready to go. Just before we left the house, I checked the passports one last time. Somehow we had our two sons' passports. One of us had grabbed the wrong two passports off of the desk. If we had not checked, we would have missed the cruise. Always triple check!

Good point.

Triple check.

Have read posts years back from people who grabbed the "wrong" family member's passport, thinking it was their own.

Since we're trading horror stories...

Many years ago we were flying from Bombay to Bangkok. While waiting to get off the plane, I slipped my passport into my shirt pocket, then put down my carry-on and picked it up again. You guessed it. When I got to customs sans passport, the Thai officials held me incommunicado, except for letting me phone the consulate. The consul would have provided me with a temp passport but the Thais refused.

Finally, when the plane got to Narita a cleaner found it under a seat and all got resolved. But the consul told me the Thais were just hours away from sending me back on the next flight to Bombay. Without a passport.

Since then I've been a bit more careful.

Old joke:

An elderly couple were traveling by car and stopped at a roadside restaurant to have lunch. Being somewhat forgetful the woman left her glasses on the table when they left but didn't miss them until they had traveled quite a way down the road. Her husband complained and crabbed at her all the way back to the restaurant. As the woman got out of the car he said, "While you're in there you might as well grab my hat."

It's always a good idea to check each other. I have actually left my hat, my glasses, and a nice leather coat behind in restaurants. Fortunately I got all of them back. I don't mind being asked if I have everything and then checking to see if I really do have it even after being "certain" of having everything.

Is there a family member or trusted neighbor that can go into the home and copy the BC and email or fax a copy? That often works in such a situation.

(And before anyone chimes in about it not being a certified copy; the law only requires a copy...even though everyone prefers a certified copy, a photocopy or clear digital copy is acceptable and has been used many, many times to meet WHTI rules)

This sounds like a possible solution, great thinking. My thought is that Princess is very firm about ID .. and the person may be out of luck.

Yes, I always check and double check my documents.

I was so excited to be getting on my first cruise, I had put my Driver's License in the wrong spot and couldn't find it to produce it at the check in. So after all, I found it ,but almost gave myself heart palpitations in the process! :)

This sounds like a possible solution, great thinking. My thought is that Princess is very firm about ID .. and the person may be out of luck.

Yes, I always check and double check my documents.

I was so excited to be getting on my first cruise, I had put my Driver's License in the wrong spot and couldn't find it to produce it at the check in. So after all, I found it ,but almost gave myself heart palpitations in the process! :)

Since the original post was over a week ago, and the cruise was supposed to be that same day, I'd say the decision has already been made as to whether she went on the cruise or not.