Greenland-Canada new Itinerary?

WVBill

Just came across this itinerary 16 Days Greenland & Canada out of New York August 19, 2019

Ports: New York City (Manhattan or Brooklyn), New York |Halifax, Nova Scotia | Sydney, Nova Scotia | Nuuk, Greenland |Qaqortoq, Greenland | Nanortalik, Greenland |St. John's, Newfoundland |New York City (Manhattan or Brooklyn), New York

NNR16Alg.jpg

9 Sea days - but we like Sea days. Have never been to Greenland.

Anyone been on this itinerary? Concerned about North Atlantic weather in August?

Interesting itinerary. Love seeing the new round trip itineraries from US ports.

Hi Pam,

Contact me...I have a Window Suite booked for this cruise on the Caribbean Princess.

Looks like a great new itinerary. We have been to Nanortalik and Qaqortoq (how many other places with 3 Q's) on the Ocean Princess. They are great little ports. However, I am afraid the Caribbean will overwhelm them. Both were tender ports and neither offered any shore excursions. There were icebergs floating around the harbor that dwarfed the tenders.

Contact me...I have a Window Suite booked for this cruise on the Caribbean Princess.
Would love to do this itinerary some day (been to all except one port) but already have two cruises booked in the Spring of 2019. Have a great cruise!

Looks like a great new itinerary. We have been to Nanortalik and Qaqortoq (how many other places with 3 Q's) on the Ocean Princess. They are great little ports. However, I am afraid the Caribbean will overwhelm them. Both were tender ports and neither offered any shore excursions. There were icebergs floating around the harbor that dwarfed the tenders.

We stopped at Nanortalik on the Caribbean Princess during a Trans-Atlantic in 2013 and the community seemed to take the influx of tourists in stride. It's a great place to wonder around and exlpore. The only issue was that it became very foggy and they had to suspend tender service for about 2 hours in the afternoon as everyone was heading back to the ship. It was very chilly standing in the tender line for that long!

We stopped at Nanortalik on the Caribbean Princess during a Trans-Atlantic in 2013 and the community seemed to take the influx of tourists in stride. It's a great place to wonder around and exlpore. The only issue was that it became very foggy and they had to suspend tender service for about 2 hours in the afternoon as everyone was heading back to the ship. It was very chilly standing in the tender line for that long!

You can only go ashore if you have an excursion. There a couple of ports in Alaska with the same rules.

Went to Qaqortoq on our trans-Atlantic cruise aboard the Star. The town is tiny and there are no excursions available. We tendered to shore, found ice berg growlers beached right on shore. Wandered through the town, stores, church and a few other buildings. Nice three hour or so visit. Only a few residents spoke some English, but everyone was very friendly. Can you say "isolated"

Buster

You can only go ashore if you have an excursion. There a couple of ports in Alaska with the same rules.

That wasn't the case when we stopped in Nanortalik. In fact, I don't even remember any excursions being offered.

They are going to try tendering 3000 passengers onto 3 towns in Greenland which have populations of 17,000, 3000 and 1000 people. That should be a real hoot.

If you assume that everyone goes on shore and the tenders are stuffed to the gills w 120 passengers each, that would require 25 tender trips. If you additionally assume optimistically that it takes 15 minutes to load each tender, that means that it will take 6 hours to get everyone on shore and 6 hours to get them back to the ship.

Does the ship have 2 tender docking ports. If it does, that means that it will take on 3 hours each way. The ship will be in port for 11 hours so you will spend about half of your port time getting to and from the ship.

Doesn't make much sense to me.

BTW - I have been to Qaqortoq and Nanortalik off the Maasdam which holds only 1200 and it was a bit much with even that number of people.

DON

They are going to try tendering 3000 passengers onto 3 towns in Greenland which have populations of 17,000, 3000 and 1000 people. That should be a real hoot.

If you assume that everyone goes on shore and the tenders are stuffed to the gills w 120 passengers each, that would require 25 tender trips. If you additionally assume optimistically that it takes 15 minutes to load each tender, that means that it will take 6 hours to get everyone on shore and 6 hours to get them back to the ship.

Does the ship have 2 tender docking ports. If it does, that means that it will take on 3 hours each way. The ship will be in port for 11 hours so you will spend about half of your port time getting to and from the ship.

The tenders hold more than 120 people. I’ve tendered into Greenland off the Crown which while it doesn’t carry 3,600 passengers, still has a lot of them. I don’t remember it being a problem.
  • Like 1

You can only go ashore if you have an excursion.

There are no excursions to be offered.

You walk around the towns on your own (possibly one may have a free bus to take you around). May be some cultural performances. Some shops will be open.

We've been to all 3 (probably with some of the other posters) at the end of 2 WB TAs in Sept. 2009 & 2010, both on the Crown P. It was snowing and in the 30s in Nuuk (2009), but that shouldn't be as likely in August, esp. now that we have global warming. BTW, it's the capital of Greenland. It was beautiful (clear, warm enough) in Qaqortoq (2010) and I enjoyed walking around the town which is surrounded by mountains and contains very colorful buildings and many homes had beautiful gardens. We were unable to visit Nanortalik (2010, I think) because there was at least one very large iceberg near where the capt. expected to drop anchor. It looked like a much smaller town than the others (like a village in northern Alaska) so I don't think we missed much. The main thing were all the distinctive icebergs. Enjoy!

We were unable to visit Nanortalik (2010, I think) because there was at least one very large iceberg near where the capt. expected to drop anchor.

We may have been on the same cruise. When we could not drop anchor for Nanortalik, the Captain took the ship up a very scenic fjord. The spectacular scenery was probably a better experience than walking through another small town.

We may have been on the same cruise. When we could not drop anchor for Nanortalik, the Captain took the ship up a very scenic fjord. The spectacular scenery was probably a better experience than walking through another small town.

Bill, I think we were--competing in Trivia, among other things. Thanks for adding the unplanned trip up that fjord. Very photogenic!