How Do You Book Your Cruises?

Chef Heather

Well that's certainly good to know.I thought it had to be booked for a cruise starting within a year.

You can book any currently offered cruise on board, including 2020 cruises. And at anytime prior to the final payment date you can have the reservation transferred to a different cruise without losing the on-board benefit of a lower deposit and bonus OBC.

A few years ago, I booked a "place holder" cruise on-board, subsequently transferred it to a different second cruise, later transferred it to a different third cruise and later upgraded to a higher level cabin on that third cruise - all the while keeping my on-board booking bonus OBC. I assume that such transfers are still allowed.

You always get the cat upgrade regardless of any circumstances. Just remember, when you get all those perks from Celebrity, you are basically paying advance for what you would spend onboard. If you would spend the money for the perks if they were not offered, then do you really need them. You can always get better pricing through agencies that do offer all the perks, but do offer much lower fares for the cat cabin than Celebrity. It's is your choice.

I thought and am pretty sure, a TA cannot sell cabins for less than Celebrity. The exception I think is if it is a group booking.

Most cruise line prohibit TA from advertising prices lower than the cruise line. There is really nothing the cruise line can do to prevent the TA from offering unadvertised perks such as OBC/discounts/rebates. Pretty sure that would be illegal price fixing if they were to try.

I am not sure how and/or why this completely incorrect information keeps getting repeated year after year. :(

Every single day there are online travel sites that both advertise and sell hundreds of different cruises (from many different cruise lines) BELOW...and sometimes WELL below, the prices advertised and sold directly by the cruise lines. ;)

A fast and easy web search can often save hundreds of dollars per person. :cool:

The 15 night Celebrity Infinity Panama Canal cruise on 24 September is listed at $1199pp on Celebrity's website.

The exact same cruise is listed at $849pp on a large and well known online travel agency's website.

Edited by teecee60

I am not sure how and/or why this completely incorrect information keeps getting repeated year after year. :(

Every single day there are online travel sites that both advertise and sell hundreds of different cruises (from many different cruise lines) BELOW...and sometimes WELL below, the prices advertised and sold directly by the cruise lines. ;)

A fast and easy web search can often save hundreds of dollars per person. :cool:

The 15 night Celebrity Infinity Panama Canal cruise on 24 September is listed at $1199pp on Celebrity's website.

The exact same cruise is listed at $849pp on a large and well known online travel agency's website.

I just checked that cruise on their website and it shows the cruise for $1049. If you do a mock booking and I put state residency as Arizona, over 55, and my Captain's Club number an inside guarantee shows up at $849 p.p. after a $400 deduction per cabin. I found a well known online agency that shows it for $849 p.p. but when you try a mock booking they say it's unavailable. They do "cruises" si it must be right.

What is the best way to find reputable online travel agencies? I know we can't mention names but any ideas on how to search for a good one?

Generally speaking, most cruise lines, Holland and Princess are exceptions, prohibit TA from advertising prices lower than what the cruise lines offer. The key word is "advertising". TA may still offer rebates or obc or discounts, but they may not advertise them.

This means you have to contact the TA and ask: "Do you discount/rebate/OBC a portion of the fare?" If they reply that the do not, thank them, hang up and call another.

Obviously, finding a TA could be a lengthy process. You should ask yourself how important this is to you. Is a 10% rebate/discount worth the effort? Probably depends upon how much your spending on the fare.

Another way to locate a good TA is to ask people you know who cruise. Your next cruise is a great opportunity. Ask those you meet.

Another way is to watch cruise critic thread closely. Although mentioning TA by name is prohibited, occasionally a name slips through.

So now I have another related question: when I check some of the online TA's for a particular cruise (ex Greek Isles) - the TA will only show availability on Deck 6 (all obstructed views) but with some extra perks from that TA; when I compare the same cruise on the Celebrity site, it shows availability on 3 decks......soooooo, does that mean the online TA buys a "block" of rooms on a particular deck?

I've seen a lot of 'advertisements' on websites touting cruise savings of xx%. Totally BS. I've compared the actual pricing from these TAs with the current cruise line prices and there is no savings.

Generally speaking, most cruise lines prohibit TA from advertising prices lower than what the cruise lines offer. The key word is "advertising". TA may still offer rebates or obc or discounts, but they may not advertise them.

Why, WHY, *W*H*Y* do people INSIST on repeating information that is demonstrably false??? :confused:

Right now the Celebrity website is advertising the 9 Sep '18 Infinity Panama canal cruise at $1149pp...

A well known online travel site is advertising the EXACT SAME CRUISE for $949pp with 50 of OBC...

Why, WHY, *W*H*Y* do people INSIST on repeating information that is demonstrably false??? :confused:

Right now the Celebrity website is advertising the 9 Sep '18 Infinity Panama canal cruise at $1149pp...

A well known online travel site is advertising the EXACT SAME CRUISE for $949pp with 50 of OBC...

That's accurate but you probably don't want to book through them because they charge a cancellation fee of $50 p.p. unless you move it to a different cruise at the same time. So what if you can save $200 p.p. plus $50 obc if you do take the cruise.

Big Box TA; always... Hands Down!!! Cheaper with lots of benefits!

In the past, one time we booked with the Cruise line itself and then transferred

it to our Big Box TA. We received many benefits that way.

So, I’m confused. If I book onboard, and I then find a TA to become the owner of that booking, the TA can give further benefits / perks IN ADDITION to what I already got from Celebrity? I can ask the TA for that/those?

- Joel

So, I’m confused. If I book onboard, and I then find a TA to become the owner of that booking, the TA can give further benefits / perks IN ADDITION to what I already got from Celebrity? I can ask the TA for that/those?

- Joel

First, you don’t give up ownership, you just do everything through the TA rather than the cruise line. You get everything the line is offering and probably extras such as obc and specialty dining worth at least 10% of the cost of the cruise. That’s if you can find the right one, not all agencies are the same, there are both good and bad.

You must transfer within 60 days of booking and it must be before final payment.

- Joel

Yes.

With any other cruise line, except X and MSC, I just book on line. With X I call to get my one cat upgrade, which you can't do on line. With MSC, even though I can get my 5% on line, on some cruises I can get an additional 20%, which can't be done on line.

Big Box TA; always... Hands Down!!! Cheaper with lots of benefits!

In the past, one time we booked with the Cruise line itself and then transferred

it to our Big Box TA. We received many benefits that way.

We do this all the time too. I am guessing from your address it's the same one. (Hint: It's located outside Seattle in Issaquah WA. They have a store brand called Kirkland.)

And, even if you aren't a member, you can use their web site to see what cruises, from almost every line, are available and how much. And it will show the perks in a box to the left of the cruise. This is usually OBC but sometimes it's a cash card to use in the warehouse.

If you're not a member, but you know someone who is, they can book it for you and if you enter your email, you will get all the notifications yourself. Basically, the member is allowing you to use their membership. This is allowed by the club, so no worries there.

Whenever I read that people are having trouble finding cruises or using the various lines' web sites, I try to post that they can also look using this web site. And yes, I know there are others but I find this one easy to use and fast.

Also, an unadvertised feature of this TA is that if you want a specific cabin and you know it's available (however you know that) or you want to check, they can book any cabin that is available, not just what they show on their site. I used this once to get one of the Sweet 16 on X Infinity!

Good luck

ML

Could be because many people have been told that certain cruise line do prohibit advertising a lower price by their TA.

We do this all the time too. I am guessing from your address it's the same one. (Hint: It's located outside Seattle in Issaquah WA. They have a store brand called Kirkland.)

And, even if you aren't a member, you can use their web site to see what cruises, from almost every line, are available and how much. And it will show the perks in a box to the left of the cruise. This is usually OBC but sometimes it's a cash card to use in the warehouse.

Thank you for confirming the Big Box store. I will have to agree with you...I have used them sometimes and have always got good service. And in Canada if you use their credit card, it gives you 2x the 'cashback' points.

So far I’ve just booked through the cruise line. The last two I booked with carnival after watching them for a few months and waiting for them to get cheaper. This last one I paid $359pp for a 5 night Cuba cruise , seems fair to me! I wouldn’t mind trying a TA if it brings some extra perks. Just never looked in to it. To be honest in this modern age of technology I’m surprised people still use TAs. I’m all for saving money so I can take more cruises so it may be worth looking in to!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So far I’ve just booked through the cruise line. The last two I booked with carnival after watching them for a few months and waiting for them to get cheaper. This last one I paid $359pp for a 5 night Cuba cruise , seems fair to me! I wouldn’t mind trying a TA if it brings some extra perks. Just never looked in to it. To be honest in this modern age of technology I’m surprised people still use TAs. I’m all for saving money so I can take more cruises so it may be worth looking in to!

With Celebrity you get 60 days from the date that you book the cruise to check around, compare offers, and transfer your reservation to a TA.

In most cases it is worth doing.

The reason to transfer your booking to a TA "in this modern age of technology" is for the additional benefits a TA can give you that you don't get if you leave your booking with the cruise line.

In general, the higher the price of your cruise, the more worthwhile it becomes to transfer the booking to a TA.

That is because the TA receives a larger commission for a more expensive cruise, and thereby has more flexibility in what they can offer you as an incentive to give them your booking.

It is worth checking around to compare different TA offers every time you book a cruise because one TA may have the best deal for this cruise, while a different TA may offer a much better deal for your next cruise.

But in this situation, since you are only paying $359 pp for your Cuba cruise, I doubt if there is much that any TA will be able to offer you.

So you probably will not gain much by transferring your reservation to a TA this time.

Still, if you would be happy with only a small onboard credit, or perhaps a bottle of wine, it is worth checking out.

I know someone who transferred an inside cabin booking to a TA just for a $25 OBC.

Also, regardless of whether or not you decide to switch your booking to a TA, or which TA you choose, it is important to pay for cruises with a major credit card.

That should give you peace of mind knowing that you have the protection of the credit card company in case you should have a legitimate problem with the TA, or even with the cruise line itself.

Additionally, some major credit cards include some travel insurance coverage at no charge.

(Besides, as an extra bonus you also get cash back, or miles if you prefer, from the credit card company.)