Carnival Magic late arrival. Cancelling St Thomas. Very upset

LuckyZ

Disappointment and upset are two different things.......

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My point is it's hard to believe that anyone wouldn't be upset, disappointed, angry, whatever word you want to use, especially when you've been planning a trip for two years as the poster above stated. Sometimes people just need to vent. As long as the OP doesn't take it out on the crew members or other passengers, she is not wrong to be upset According to her updated post, she was looking forward to the cruise and everything was good.

My point is it's hard to believe that anyone wouldn't be upset, disappointed, angry, whatever word you want to use, especially when you've been planning a trip for two years as the poster above stated. Sometimes people just need to vent. As long as the OP doesn't take it out on the crew members or other passengers, she is not wrong to be upset According to her updated post, she was looking forward to the cruise and everything was good.

Then all is well.

I can understand the frustration of port changed on a sailing. When the swine flu issue hit a couple years ago,was set to sail to Cozumel and Costa Maya. Was really looking forward to Costa Maya when a day prior not only changed to no Mexican ports,but to Nassau, Freeport, and Key West and from 5 to 7 days.

Some folks didn't find out until at the port. It was a madhouse,especially for those who either flew in or may had limited vacation. I normal have no issues with a port,but Freeport is one where I tell folks stay on the ship. Nassau is ok and Key West really wasn't on the radar.

We were not offered any box for the change if sailing,those who couldn't was offered the chance to rebook.

This cruise end up being one of my better ones. First I had excellent tabletmate who still years later we keep in regular touch. Key West was fun,I got a map and walked around and had fun,especially at the pirates museum. Nassau ended up being a great beach day and Freeport did a glassboat tour that was ok.

Overall was a great cruise,while not happy just adjust and try to enjoy

I haven’t read all the replies but I have read most. And sadly no one considered the REAL issue why the port was cancelled. Due to someone’s life being in jeopardy, a MAJOR medical emergency, the Magic had to make a stop. That’s what delayed everything. Carnival isn’t to blame! And you can’t blame the ill patient either. For God sakes, this stuff happens. Would you all be saying these things if a child had fallen ill or if you knew the patient?

I was on the Magic this past week. Carnival did everything possible to not only assist this family but then had to accommodate all of us that were “inconvenienced”. Geez, take a step back and do some reflecting. You’re still on vacation while others are having to reschedule flights, shuttles, pet sitters, and one family is now having to fly out of Cozumel with their loved one at their expense.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not much sympathy here. Conventional wisdom has always been 'don't book a cruise for a particular port'. Ship happens. St. thomas is the ports furthest out so the most obvious to scrap. Relax. You will be on a cruise. EM

So much this! If your heart is set on a specific port, BOOK A LAND VACATION THERE! It is NOT Carnival's fault. You are essentially sailing ON A MACHINE and machines break down or encounter problems. Fellow passengers can fall gravely ill and need medical treatment that the ship can't provide. Read your cruise contract. You acknowledge that the itinerary can change at any time, and that you are entitled to nothing. These people kill me who agree to the terms of the contract, then throw a fit when something happens. It's disappointing, yes, been there. We had a complete itinerary change because of a hurricane, but we knew we were taking that risk. Ended up being our favorite cruise yet. If you aren't someone who can roll with the punches, cruising is NOT for you.

I haven’t read all the replies but I have read most. And sadly no one considered the REAL issue why the port was cancelled. Due to someone’s life being in jeopardy, a MAJOR medical emergency, the Magic had to make a stop. That’s what delayed everything. Carnival isn’t to blame! And you can’t blame the ill patient either. For God sakes, this stuff happens. Would you all be saying these things if a child had fallen ill or if you knew the patient?

I was on the Magic this past week. Carnival did everything possible to not only assist this family but then had to accommodate all of us that were “inconvenienced”. Geez, take a step back and do some reflecting. You’re still on vacation while others are having to reschedule flights, shuttles, pet sitters, and one family is now having to fly out of Cozumel with their loved one at their expense.

Thank You. It's all about perspective. And understanding that there is someone or a whole lot of someones that only wish that missing a port was there only problem.

And to the poster that lost her husband....my heart goes out to you. You have my deepest condolences.

Unbelievable . Instead of cancelling throw away ports like San Juan or Grand Turk, they cancel St Thomas, which is the only reason we picked this cruise. Here is the email

URGENT UPDATE. CARNIVAL MAGIC

JUNE 16, 2018

Dear Carnival Magic Guests,

I am back with an important update on our arrival time in Port Canaveral.

Although we did our best to make up for lost time, yesterday evening, we encountered an issue impacting our maximum cruising speed. Consequently, we will now be alongside in the early afternoon.

While our team completes the necessary work, we will be unable to sustain the required speed to deliver a four port itinerary. Consequently, we will need to cancel our call in St. Thomas. We know how much you were looking forward to your visit to this port of call and sincerely apologize for this unexpected change.

A 50 USD, per person, onboard credit will be posted to your Sail & Sign account. Additionally, any pre-purchased shore excursions for St. Thomas, and corresponding government fees and taxes, will be refunded to your onboard account. A letter with full itinerary details will be provided at check-in.

Please disregard your Arrival Appointment and plan to arrive at the cruise terminal between 3:00 PM and 6:00 PM. In preparation for departure, all guests must be on board by 6:00 PM.

A 15 USD, per person, credit will be posted to your Sail & Sign account so you can enjoy lunch on us today.

Once again, we apologize for this disruption and assure you our team will do everything possible to deliver an exceptional vacation experience.

We thank you for your understanding and look forward to welcoming you on board for a fun and memorable cruise.

Sincerely,

Denese WaitersForums

Take a land vacation.

OP here

So we are now into our first day . Let me give you my latest

thoughts and experiences so far

1) first day (embark) was mostly awful given we had to leave the hotel and get to the port and wait about 3 hours to board. We got onboard by about 4pm. We hunted down our own luggage so that wasn’t an issue. Keys had an issue and had to do to Guest Services 4 Times and still having issues . Dinner was open seating. Went at 8:15 and it was a zoo. Some stuck it out and we’re done by 11pm. Decided to eat on Lido (Meatball sandwich was cold). Cabin Steward is great. Band near Alchemy very good. Alcohol was flowing last night so people’s attitudes were in check.

2) so day 1 was not great but next 2 days are at sea. So hopefully better days ahead

3) We did book this week with a specific port in mind (St Thomas) so still bummed. More to follow on this issue upon our return. The rest of the itinerary got moved around as well which messes things up for people with Private excursions .

4) ship is moving at a very slow pace which tells me there are issues with the propulsion of the ship. I have no idea if the stop in Cozumel by the last cruise was really medical or mechanical related. People posting sympathy notes but they have no idea if that is really why the ship stopped in Cozumel

5) we are making the best of it and will enjoy the rest of our cruise (despite disappointment about St Thomas)

So you waited 2 years for this cruise and weren't the least bit upset? Hard to believe. Even the most patient and understanding person would have felt some disappointment.
I didn't lie when I posted this! I have been an industrial repairman for over 40+ years and know that ALL machines will breakdown...even cruise ships. Yes...we were disappointed when our cruise was canceled, but we sure didn't have a "ship fit" like many others here on these boards. Hard to believe, huh? Well maybe I'm more of an optimist than you are when it comes to life in general!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

OP here

4) ship is moving at a very slow pace which tells me there are issues with the propulsion of the ship. I have no idea if the stop in Cozumel by the last cruise was really medical or mechanical related. People posting sympathy notes but they have no idea if that is really why the ship stopped in Cozumel

Yeah, I’m sure Carnival was lying when they told people last week that they had to stop in Cozumel for a medical reason. And then felt guilty about lying so confessed to you in their email that they were having mechanical issues. No way it was both a medical and mechanical issue, right?

I’m guessing you spend a lot of time at guest services wherever you go.

I haven't been to St. Thomas or San Juan yet, but would love to. You just never know what is going to happen. People need to realize when the itinerary needs to be changed, it doesn't go by what's popular or what the "cash cow" is, as somebody posted about Grand Turk. Time, Distrance, Fuel, Safety & Port availability to dock are the factors. We lost Grand Turk on Pride May 13. People were all trying to be the "ship navigator". Nobody gave a rat's behind that somebody died trying to meet the coast gruard 300 miles off course, but they all knew how to steer the ship. Yeah it sucks when you lose a cruise, but the changes are not about "you" or "me", they are about "everyone".

Yeah, I’m sure Carnival was lying when they told people last week that they had to stop in Cozumel for a medical reason. And then felt guilty about lying so confessed to you in their email that they were having mechanical issues. No way it was both a medical and mechanical issue, right?

I’m guessing you spend a lot of time at guest services wherever you go.

OMG what are you implying ? Actually we never spend time at guest services but when you have key issues that they can’t solve after 4 tries , doesn’t that see odd ?

OMG what are you implying ? Actually we never spend time at guest services but when you have key issues that they can’t solve after 4 tries , doesn’t that see odd ?

How about the whole first paragraph of your post? Why would they lie? It is all about attitude.

Yes, that is odd. I’m implying that you seem to look for the problem in things. Yes, it sucks that you don’t get to go to St. Thomas. And I’m sure it was a madhouse on this ship last night. But you are on vacation yet you think it’s important enough to come here and vent about how the issue isn’t over even when you return, your meatball sandwich was cold, worrying about other people with private excursions, complaining about your room key, and calling into question the reason people were concerned about the person with the medical issue last week.

You recreate how you want to. I’d rather just have a great time in the Caribbean.

I’m implying that you seem to look for the problem in things.
I think that that is human nature, and is more directly prompted in people, these days, by changes in society that have tweaked the general attitude and tendencies of people in society. That's not the say that doing so is a good thing. It's definitely not. The approaches you and others suggest - be prepared; expect the unexpected and even the disappointing; don't let disappointing things govern your attitude; go with the flow, especially when no one broke an explicit promise to you; etc. - these are part of the recipe for having excellent vacations.

BTW, did your "secret" method of sneaking into your cabin before everyone else work again?

Actually didn’t need to as we were able to go to our rooms directly upon boarding the ship. My guess is that people had to vacate their rooms this morning and the staff had their normal time to clean the rooms. No complaints

BTW can’t believe the replies so far. No sympathy at all. This is a forum to exchange thoughts and opinions. All everyone seems to want to hear is the good stuff. But I’m giving facts of what went on yesterday as well as how I feel on how it’s going. If only good stuff is what you want, please don’t look at Cruise Critic . I’ve gotten a lot of good advice from people that post their experiences (even bad).

Edited by LuckyZ

Maybe sympathy for the cruiser with the medical emergency is in order?

Perhaps empathy for the crew who had to deal with irate guests?

And yes, I'm sorry the next cruise had to be altered, but I do understand that ship happens.

OP here

So we are now into our first day . Let me give you my latest

thoughts and experiences so far

1) first day (embark) was mostly awful given we had to leave the hotel and get to the port and wait about 3 hours to board. We got onboard by about 4pm. We hunted down our own luggage so that wasn’t an issue. Keys had an issue and had to do to Guest Services 4 Times and still having issues . Dinner was open seating. Went at 8:15 and it was a zoo. Some stuck it out and we’re done by 11pm. Decided to eat on Lido (Meatball sandwich was cold). Cabin Steward is great. Band near Alchemy very good. Alcohol was flowing last night so people’s attitudes were in check.

2) so day 1 was not great but next 2 days are at sea. So hopefully better days ahead

3) We did book this week with a specific port in mind (St Thomas) so still bummed. More to follow on this issue upon our return. The rest of the itinerary got moved around as well which messes things up for people with Private excursions .

5) we are making the best of it and will enjoy the rest of our cruise (despite disappointment about St Thomas)

I was on the ship - it was a medical emergency--I saw the ambulance/doctor arrive and then return with patient leave several hours later. The mechanical issue with ship speed happened in in the middle of the night, and we were not told until 8am. All the staff were excellent. Many went without breaks to clean up and gear up for new passengers. The stress on the employees was huge!!! I hope you have a great cruise.....be extra nice to the staff! They deserve a few smiles!

Maybe sympathy for the cruiser with the medical emergency is in order?

Perhaps empathy for the crew who had to deal with irate guests?

And yes, I'm sorry the next cruise had to be altered, but I do understand that ship happens.

It sounds like the medical emergency was not the issue. The issue was the mechanical problem limiting the ships speed.... hopefully that will be fixed soon and it’s not a serious issue.

While I understand people being disappointed in a missed port, I honestly don’t get the anger coming through on these posts.

There was a medical emergency...have some compassion for the person and their family. Mechanical issues happens on all lines...it can be a pain in the rear but it happens!!

If you sail long enough you are going to run into hiccups along the way. If you can’t handle the disappointment maybe you should rethink this type of vacation.

We once had an entire cruise cancelled after a day and a half of waiting in Tampa because they couldn’t bring the ship in due to fog!! What did we do?? We drove back home, filed trip insurance and rebooked the same cruise for two months later.

Sure we were disappointed but we accepted it as “things happen”.....

Perfect post.

Ranting and raving and throwing temper tantrums is unhelpful and misguided. Ports are missed. Period point blank. Understandable to be disappointed, but insulting the other ports and not appreciating how Carnival did accommodate with OBC, a formal apology, and another port is being totally ungrateful. They didn't have to offer anything.

Put things in perspective. No port on a cruise is guaranteed and it's a major pain for the ship when it has to alter itineraries.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk