Occasionally Going off Topic

P-L-B

Regarding some people complaining about occasionally going off topic in a thread.

Is there really any harm in going off topic in a thread or does it help to occasionally lighten things up a little.

Also, is there or has anybody thought of having an area for general discussions say ‘The Crow’s Nest’ this could be an area dedicated to general discussion and chat.

Just a thought.

There is a specific board called cruise conversations which has a heading called Floataway lounge, which is supposed to be for non specific chatter for all CC users. But if you want something specific to the P&O forum, I guess you could start a thread, but I reckon it would quickly be consigned to the floataway lounge, where this thread will undoubtedly end up.

One of my hobbies is model engineering, and on that forum they have a thread called 'The Tea Room' which

is the place for discussion of any issues that aren't in the forum mainstream.

And the main threads still go off topic there as well!

There is a specific board called cruise conversations which has a heading called Floataway lounge, which is supposed to be for non specific chatter for all CC users. But if you want something specific to the P&O forum, I guess you could start a thread, but I reckon it would quickly be consigned to the floataway lounge, where this thread will undoubtedly end up.

Thanks for enlightening me with that information.

I will take a look.

One of my hobbies is model engineering, and on that forum they have a thread called 'The Tea Room' which

Yes, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of but as previously mentioned apparently we have the Floataway Lounge which I wasn't aware of. As you say I am sure the main threads will still occasionally go off topic but I think that's fine in some circumstances. I must admit to me sometimes going off topic. :o

Most time a thread goes off topic is where someone mentions something relevant and expands into circumstances which are peripheral to the original post. Next poster focuses on the peripheral aspect then introduces a tangential bit of information. After only a few posts about any topic someone is mentioning things which have little or no direct relevance to the original post. Whilst we try and answer the original post we also answer the offshoots which have come about. This sort of thing happens a lot at committee meetings.

Regards John

This sort of thing happens a lot at committee meetings

Only if they have a weak chair. No objection to relevant comments anything else can go to AOB as far as I'm concerned. ;) Not all of us have all day!

( Have you been to Butlins? is one that stands out in the middle of a meeting discussing how to get funding to repair a community centre)

Most time a thread goes off topic is where someone mentions something relevant and expands into circumstances which are peripheral to the original post. Next poster focuses on the peripheral aspect then introduces a tangential bit of information. After only a few posts about any topic someone is mentioning things which have little or no direct relevance to the original post. Whilst we try and answer the original post we also answer the offshoots which have come about. This sort of thing happens a lot at committee meetings.

Regards John

Most questions can be answered in a few posts but it makes it more interesting when the thread is expanded or gone off topic as often new questions get introduced and more people get involved.

Most questions can be answered in a few posts but it makes it more interesting when the thread is expanded or gone off topic as often new questions get introduced and more people get involved.

Yes, I agree.

Yes, I agree.

Me too. If the thread is providing an opportunity for us to pose questions, seek information and discuss issues and then later drifts, provided the main point of a post is addressed, I really don't find that a problem.

The 'drift' often prompts other issues to be aired and often these can be interesting throwing up info/ideas which probably wouldn't have been the topic of a separate thread. If the original theme of a thread has been pretty well exhausted and the drift isn't of interest to me, I just stop reading as will most others I imagine and then the thread will come to a natural end and disappear down the board.

At least the drift generally still relates to P&O which is what we all have in common and why we visit this forum.

Regarding some people complaining about occasionally going off topic in a thread.

Is there really any harm in going off topic in a thread or does it help to occasionally lighten things up a little.

Also, is there or has anybody thought of having an area for general discussions say ‘The Crow’s Nest’ this could be an area dedicated to general discussion and chat.

Just a thought.

There is 'Say Anything' ... I visit there and have asked my oddball questions.

Concerning 'drift' I had training in cartography back in pre computer days. One of the training course exercises was tracing a coastline. we had over 20 people on the training course. the first person traced the coastline and passed their tracing to the second etc. The final tracing bared no resemblance to any island in the world!

Or the old military one 'send reinforcements we are going to advance' translates to 'send three and fourpence we are going to a dance' by the time it gets to headquarters Q!

Concerning 'drift' I had training in cartography back in pre computer days. One of the training course exercises was tracing a coastline. we had over 20 people on the training course. the first person traced the coastline and passed their tracing to the second etc. The final tracing bared no resemblance to any island in the world!

Or the old military one 'send reinforcements we are going to advance' translates to 'send three and fourpence we are going to a dance' by the time it gets to headquarters Q!

No what you mean, similar to 'Chinese whispers'

Me too. If the thread is providing an opportunity for us to pose questions, seek information and discuss issues and then later drifts, provided the main point of a post is addressed, I really don't find that a problem.

The 'drift' often prompts other issues to be aired and often these can be interesting throwing up info/ideas which probably wouldn't have been the topic of a separate thread. If the original theme of a thread has been pretty well exhausted and the drift isn't of interest to me, I just stop reading as will most others I imagine and then the thread will come to a natural end and disappear down the board.

At least the drift generally still relates to P&O which is what we all have in common and why we visit this forum.

I agree ,over the years I have seen you and other posters help others out with little offshoots of information, cheap rail fares in a port maybe, showing the location of web-cams in the resort the ships will visit and some people will post their thanks for that post.

We are helping each other and that is fine by me ,if it helps others on these boards.

Some will post "what has this got to do with ..." They have a good point if a poster asks meal times on a ship and some one asks.." anyone got a hot tip for the St Ledger at Doncaster ? "

The boards are most of the times good natured with a splash of good banter.

I would rather have this than posters who aim to disrupt or try to offend with a username. We even get posters that ask for help and lots post help for that poster, only to find they never post anything ever again.

No thanks, nothing and even worse when in the middle of someone's post.

The times we see " Anyone on my cruise " in the middle of a post.

More often than not the post's drift back on topic anyway.So as long as we are helping someone or giving words of comfort to any posters in distress, warning people ,giving news updates etc.

I personally have no problem with how ,these boards can drift at times.

Perfectly addressed.

I agree ,over the years I have seen you and other posters help others out with little offshoots of information, cheap rail fares in a port maybe, showing the location of web-cams in the resort the ships will visit and some people will post their thanks for that post.

We are helping each other and that is fine by me ,if it helps others on these boards.

Some will post "what has this got to do with ..." They have a good point if a poster asks meal times on a ship and some one asks.." anyone got a hot tip for the St Ledger at Doncaster ? "

I would rather have this than posters who aim to disrupt or try to offend with a username. We even get posters that ask for help and lots post help for that poster, only to find they never post anything ever again.

More often than not the post's drift back on topic anyway.So as long as we are helping someone or giving words of comfort to any posters in distress, warning people ,giving news updates etc.

I totally agree.

What sort of models do you make? Always been fascinated, and wanted to try, but have never taken the plunge. Does meccano still exist? If there were more toy shops around, perhaps meccano would still exist. Lego is still going strong. Anyone agree with me that there should be a Lego themed cruise on P&O.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

What sort of models do you make? Always been fascinated, and wanted to try, but have never taken the plunge. Does meccano still exist? If there were more toy shops around, perhaps meccano would still exist. Lego is still going strong. Anyone agree with me that there should be a Lego themed cruise on P&O.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Disney Springs in Orlando has some fantastic Lego displays and a Lego shop

Hi Kalos - yes we've 'known' each other for many years courtesy of these boards! :) And you too provide much help and info to others with a good pinch of common sense - especially when occasionally things get tetchy!

I view these boards much like a conversations with friends and find others' perspectives interesting even if I don't always agree. To be too pedantic and try to 'straight-jacket' posts seems to be a shame to me - a genuine chatty exchange of info (relating to cruising, especially on P&O) is what I value on here and can't begin to express how much I've learned from others or how much I appreciate that.

Of course there are some who deliberately try to shake it up, but I steer clear of posts which I find are provocative, rude and lacking in courtesy. Often it's the old story of 'it's not what you say, but how you say it' which makes all the difference. We all have our own opinions and experiences about cruising which I believe posters are entitled to express even if they are quite negative. It's the personal attacks and put-downs I find offensive. I ignore those posts in the main as I don't want to encourage sad souls (sorry, put down but not directed at anyone in particular) who have nothing better to do than stir up controversy. We can all spot those!!!

Hi Kalos - yes we've 'known' each other for many years courtesy of these boards! :) And you too provide much help and info to others with a good pinch of common sense - especially when occasionally things get tetchy!

I view these boards much like a conversations with friends and find others' perspectives interesting even if I don't always agree. To be too pedantic and try to 'straight-jacket' posts seems to be a shame to me - a genuine chatty exchange of info (relating to cruising, especially on P&O) is what I value on here and can't begin to express how much I've learned from others or how much I appreciate that.

Of course there are some who deliberately try to shake it up, but I steer clear of posts which I find are provocative, rude and lacking in courtesy. Often it's the old story of 'it's not what you say, but how you say it' which makes all the difference. We all have our own opinions and experiences about cruising which I believe posters are entitled to express even if they are quite negative. It's the personal attacks and put-downs I find offensive. I ignore those posts in the main as I don't want to encourage sad souls (sorry, put down but not directed at anyone in particular) who have nothing better to do than stir up controversy. We can all spot those!!!

Very well said and I totally agree with you.

There are times when people have different views on many subjects but on cruising we should all be happy to discuss it because we are very fortunate to be able to enjoy cruising.