Passport photo

Jessejo

I went to our local Walgreens today for a new passport photo. I was told I could not have my photo done in the white shirt that I was wearing. They said the white shirt would make it appear as if my head was floating. Is this something new?

I went to our local Walgreens today for a new passport photo. I was told I could not have my photo done in the white shirt that I was wearing. They said the white shirt would make it appear as if my head was floating. Is this something new?

Not sure how "new" it is, but it wasn't always there. I know our passport before the one we currently have had that requirement and that was 2008.

The U.S. government will not reject a passport application because of your color of clothing in the photo. Some photographers request that you avoid wearing white, as it can blend in with the background and cause your head to appear as though it is floating.:)

We got our photos taken recently at Costco and they told us we could not smile / show teeth for the photos. Actually, you can. It just has to be a natural smile, not something outrageous and overly goofy and exaggerated. So I don't think these folks always know the rules (not blaming them). I suggest you print out the list of do's / don'ts directly from the State Department's website and bring with you, so there is no question.

I was told the same thing .I had to return wearing a blue shirt.

Here's what the State Department says:

You must provide one photo with your passport application.

• Your head must face the camera directly with full face in view.
  • You must have a neutral facial expression or a natural smile, with both eyes open.
  • Taken in clothing normally worn on a daily basis
  • Taken in the last 6 months
  • Use a plain white or off-white background
  • Be sized correctly
    • 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm)
    • Head must be between 1 -1 3/8 inches (25 - 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head

[*]Printed on matte or glossy photo quality paper

[*]Printed in color

[*]You cannot wear glasses.

• If you cannot remove your glasses for medical reasons, please include a signed note from your doctor with application.

[*]You cannot wear a hat or head covering.

• If you wear a hat or head covering for religious purposes, submit a signed statement that verifies that the hat or head covering in your photo is part of recognized, traditional religious attire that is customarily or required to be worn continuously in public.
    • If you wear a hat or head covering for medical purposes, submit a signed doctor's statement verifying the hat or head covering in your photo is used daily for medical purposes.
    • Your full face must be visible and your hat or head covering cannot obscure your hairline or cast shadows on your face.

[*]You cannot wear headphones or wireless hands-free devices.

Since it is against a white background having the white shirt on will have an affect on how it looks. When we boarded one cruise there was a family in front of us who had on t-shirts that were green and the backdrop for the boarding photos was the same shade of green. I saw their boarding photo later and everyone had a head and a lower body with no torso. I hope that they bought it because it looked really cool, but I'm not sure I'd want that look in my passport.

We got our photos taken recently at Costco and they told us we could not smile / show teeth for the photos. Actually, you can. It just has to be a natural smile, not something outrageous and overly goofy and exaggerated. So I don't think these folks always know the rules (not blaming them). I suggest you print out the list of do's / don'ts directly from the State Department's website and bring with you, so there is no question.

The reason is, some countries will not accept documents with smiles.

It is easier to NOT smile at all, then to have issues when you arrive at some countries immigration portal because their definition of "natural smile" does not match yours.

It's been that way for years. The backgrounds are white, and a white shirt tends to fade the person out.

The U.S. government will not reject a passport application because of your color of clothing in the photo. Some photographers request that you avoid wearing white, as it can blend in with the background and cause your head to appear as though it is floating.:)

This is incorrect. I have personal experience that one was rejected for wearing a white shirt without a tie.

My husband and I renewed our passports last summer and went to CVS for our passport photos. I had on a blue t-shirt and hubby had a white one one. The gal told him that he could not have the white due to the white background. They sold T-shirts (local sports team) so I told my husband we could just buy one for that purpose so he wouldn't have to run home and change. The gal taking the photos had a better idea...we switch shirts. She took us to the back room, where there is an employee restroom, and hubby and I swapped shirts and he was able to get his passport photo. Only the blue color is visible, but we have the same shirt for our passport photos.

My hubby had a favorite shirt --- had his 1st passport photo taken wearing it. He wore it again for his next passport photo & it was sent back saying he needed a new photo....needless to say, he wore a different shirt for the current passport. :-)

The reason is, some countries will not accept documents with smiles.

It is easier to NOT smile at all, then to have issues when you arrive at some countries immigration portal because their definition of "natural smile" does not match yours.

Hmmm ... that must be new then. We took our photos to renew our passports. With my most recent passport, I traveled so much (80K-plus miles some years of all international travel) that I had to apply for extra pages. I definitely smiled (with teeth showing) in that passport photo, and for countries that required visas, I was smiling in those pictures as well. Oh, well. Better safe than sorry! And I still smiled for my new passport photo, just didn't show my teeth. I think I look more UN-natural that way actually, haha. But it was still approved so no worries there.

It seems that NOT wearing is a thing.

https://www.g3passports.com/wear-passport-photo/

I looked at that linked list, and what puzzled me was the prohibition of wearing any kind of uniform, be it government or company...especially in light of the fact that the required photo area wouldn't show it anyway....:confused:

Thanks all for your replies. I looked at my current passport and I was wearing white in that photo. The passport was issued early last year! I’m getting a new one because my name has changed. I remember having to remove my earrings for the photo.

Hmmm ... that must be new then. We took our photos to renew our passports. With my most recent passport, I traveled so much (80K-plus miles some years of all international travel) that I had to apply for extra pages. I definitely smiled (with teeth showing) in that passport photo, and for countries that required visas, I was smiling in those pictures as well. Oh, well. Better safe than sorry! And I still smiled for my new passport photo, just didn't show my teeth. I think I look more UN-natural that way actually, haha. But it was still approved so no worries there.

80K miles? Low end traveler. :D

This came up a few years ago. The French were one of the ones to get nasty about smiling photos.