I thought Dogs weren't allowed?

5 hours ago, PopeyeDaSailor said:

But you do realize you were once a kid. 😉

What on earth does that have to do with anything?

Nobody cares about kids who are supervised and controlled.  Everyone should care about kids who put their fingers in dirty places and then touch serving spoons and tables!!!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, brillohead said:

Nobody cares about kids who are supervised and controlled.  Everyone should care about kids who put their fingers in dirty places and then touch serving spoons and tables!!!!

It has to do with the fact that he ranted about his disdain for kids even though he once was one.  I also winked 😉 which meant I was kidding.

That's what's on earth it has to do with.

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

I just noticed that we are going to miss you by one week. Have a great time... I cannot wait to sail on her.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/17/2018 at 7:03 PM, John Reid said:

Even certified service dogs are not allowed in chairs or in laps. On a leash on the floor or carried while walking. I made a suggestion once before and got negative feedback. I'll make it again. The ONLY way to stop this entitled charade is to make the reaction to it more of a problem than declining passage to an owner. Stand up in dining and LOUDLY protest. Refuse to be seated anywhere within eyesight of a pet. Get others and flood customer service with the same com[plaint. Schedule an appointment with the hotel director and write down the response for future reference. Remember, the ship may not be able to ask for certification, but passengers can. And there are those, and rightfully so, who feel it would embarrassing to an an actual service dog owner. Don't worry, they are easy to recognize. Not in strollers, not dressed up, not defecating in public places, not barking, not seen alone with different adults, and not being available to be pet. Protest. Be more of a pain to RCCI than they are.

I have seen this and tried to ignore the absolute rudeness tone that you have. But, I'm sorry I cannot.

"On a leash on the floor"- IF you were ever to pay attention a service animals, when they are parked under a table or near their owner, the lead/leash is not held at all times. But it appears to me, that you only feel your opinions are what matter.

I do hope that you stand up and LOUDLY protest if you are ever seated anywhere near my family. My son requires a guide dog and if you were to ever try and blatantly embarrass yourself while yelling at my son, or my family. I can ensure you that it will be videotaped and shared with every resource available, to include guest services and ship security.

And to be clear.. You as a passenger have ZERO rights to ask my son about ANY certifications that he has. Absolutely NONE!

My son does have a disability, but he also can do rock walls, zip lines, pools/hot tubs and on and on.. So there are times that he will be doing activities that someone else will be attending to the guide dog. However in YOUR mind, that should not be allowed either.

You sir are very close minded and focused on yourself and NOT how your reactions could significantly affect someone who legitimately needs the service animal that you may or may not know the situation.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PopeyeDaSailor said:

Oh no, someone has breathed life into this thread again.

Here we go again is right. 😉

We all support legitimate service animals.  The grey area of “comfort animals”, not so much. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Here we go again is right. 😉

We all support legitimate service animals.  The grey area of “comfort animals”, not so much. 

This does need repeating, I didn't see anyone say they didn't support service animals.  Those absolutely belong, it's just the prevalence lately of pets that seem like accessories being claimed as part of the vague label of emotional support animals that is clouding the landscape and causing issues.  Service animals belong anywhere their person wants to be.  

• Like 1

If you ask me, and no one did, this thread is discriminatory to small dogs.  Most seem to support service dogs, which is great, and assume any small dog is a fluffy pet. You're probably correct most of the time.

But, some folks have big dogs which can easily pass as working dogs. 

FWIW, an allergy is an alergy.

14 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

If you ask me, and no one did, this thread is discriminatory to small dogs.  Most seem to support service dogs, which is great, and assume any small dog is a fluffy pet. You're probably correct most of the time.

True, though I have known many an excellently trained smaller dog. And my big dogs couldn't be passed off as working dogs, but that's more on me than them 🙂  

The allergy thing is key - for those with them, they know they can't completely avoid the possibility they will encounter dogs and for vacations, cruising is typically where you would be fairly certain to limit exposure on board.  So anyone trying to disguise their dog, whatever size, as being more purposeful than a pet is causing additional harm to those with allergies as they are likely not taking into account anyone else but what they want to do.  But the whole reason we may be seeing more dogs on board is their owners aren't thinking of anyone but themselves so...

I just don't get how cruising could be enjoyable with a dog that wasn't working - when I'm off the clock that includes not wanting to parent anyone including my pups now that my kids are also adults.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tutzig said:

I have seen this and tried to ignore the absolute rudeness tone that you have. But, I'm sorry I cannot.

"On a leash on the floor"- IF you were ever to pay attention a service animals, when they are parked under a table or near their owner, the lead/leash is not held at all times. But it appears to me, that you only feel your opinions are what matter.

I do hope that you stand up and LOUDLY protest if you are ever seated anywhere near my family. My son requires a guide dog and if you were to ever try and blatantly embarrass yourself while yelling at my son, or my family. I can ensure you that it will be videotaped and shared with every resource available, to include guest services and ship security.

And to be clear.. You as a passenger have ZERO rights to ask my son about ANY certifications that he has. Absolutely NONE!

My son does have a disability, but he also can do rock walls, zip lines, pools/hot tubs and on and on.. So there are times that he will be doing activities that someone else will be attending to the guide dog. However in YOUR mind, that should not be allowed either.

You sir are very close minded and focused on yourself and NOT how your reactions could significantly affect someone who legitimately needs the service animal that you may or may not know the situation.

Good for you!!!!!! You are a great advocate for your son!

My daughter cruised with her service dog, often, and she encountered some very rude cruisers. I mean really RUDE. Even swore at her! The only good thing I can say about some of them is they helped her develop a thick skin which a special needs person needs to survive, sad  to say. 

Keep advocating for your son!

• Like 3

I understand that you can not question whether an animal is a service dog, but I would think that a crew member CAN keep animals on the floor and not in chairs where they absolutely do not belong. A legitimate service animal would never be sitting in a chair or in the owners lap, especially in a dining venue.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

I understand that you can not question whether an animal is a service dog, but I would think that a crew member CAN keep animals on the floor and not in chairs where they absolutely do not belong. A legitimate service animal would never be sitting in a chair or in the owners lap, especially in a dining venue.

I believe they can be asked what service the animal performs.

14 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I believe they can be asked what service the animal performs.

Yes Royal can.

The post that i quoted, the poster said passengers should, and that is incorrect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tutzig said:

While I understand your passion and advocacy of your familial requirement for a service animal, I believe you overreacted slightly.  The October 2018 post you have responded to was speaking of those choosing to abuse the situation concerning accommodating service animals by bringing along "emotional support animals" (and I use that term loosely).  Such behavior of people who bring along their pets under the guise they are service animals is actually a detriment to the rights afforded those with a true need for a service animal. 

Nearly everyone strongly advocates the rights of those requiring a service animal and wish to preserve that right in its current form by dealing with the issue of "fakers" who are trying to use a system meant to protect those requiring a service animal to their unfair advantage.

Step back and see how this behavior has the very real potential to negatively impact you; I'm sure you would equally advocate against the proliferation of "pets" passing as service animals as you are for your rightly deserved protections concerning your true service animal. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pmfan said:

Good for you!!!!!! You are a great advocate for your son!

My daughter cruised with her service dog, often, and she encountered some very rude cruisers. I mean really RUDE. Even swore at her! The only good thing I can say about some of them is they helped her develop a thick skin which a special needs person needs to survive, sad  to say. 

Keep advocating for your son!

Ugh, I'm so sorry she experienced such behavior!  And agree, always advocate for those that need them.

My ex husband had a hidden disease that greatly impacted his ability to stand/move.  Once we were travelling by air and he boarded early as he could (had a handicap wallet card and spoke to the boarding attendants early) - I stayed back as I didn't need to take advantage of early boarding but then was appalled at hearing the gate agent calling for the next boarders referencing those that just boarded as faking essentially.  I don't recall exact terminology now but I wrote it down at the time and followed up with the carrier on what I witnessed.  To the carrier's credit they handled it well, wrote a nice apology, indicated they would increase their sensitivity training and offered us a future credit.  None of what we were after at the time but I appreciated they took it seriously.

Edited by ShillyShally

4 minutes ago, StolidCruiser said:

While I understand your passion and advocacy of your familial requirement for a service animal, I believe you overreacted slightly.  The October 2018 post you have responded to was speaking of those choosing to abuse the situation concerning accommodating service animals by bringing along "emotional support animals" (and I use that term loosely).  Such behavior of people who bring along their pets under the guise they are service animals is actually a detriment to the rights afforded those with a true need for a service animal. 

Nearly everyone strongly advocates the rights of those requiring a service animal and wish to preserve that right in its current form by dealing with the issue of "fakers" who are trying to use a system meant to protect those requiring a service animal to their unfair advantage.

Step back and see how this behavior has the very real potential to negatively impact you; I'm sure you would equally advocate against the proliferation of "pets" passing as service animals as you are for your rightly deserved protections concerning your true service animal. 

Well said, and agree.

12 minutes ago, StolidCruiser said:

We can agree to disagree on certain points.

The post that I responded to, the person singled out certain aspects that he felt proved abuse. I pointed out that there are legit reasons for some of those circumstances.

I took offense to his desire to stand and loudly protest if you see a pet.. Repeat.. A pet.. (His words, not mine). 

Edited by tutzig
  • Like 1

I feel Royal is just screwed.

In general, an assistance dog is trained to aid or assist an individual with a disability. Many are trained by an assistance dog organization, or by their handler, often with the help of a professional trainer

A diabetic alert dog is an assistance dog trained to detect high (hyperglycemia) or low (hypoglycemia) levels of blood sugar in humans with diabetes and alert their owners to dangerous changes in blood glucose levels.[1] This allows their owners to take steps to return their blood sugar to normal, such as using glucose tablets, sugar and carbohydrate rich food. The dog can prompt a human to take insulin.[2]

When owners with diabetes begin to experience hypoglycemia, the detection dogs perform a predetermined task (e.g. bark, lay down, sit) to inform the person.[3] Dogs may be directly smelling something related to the abnormal glucose concentration, or may be reacting to the owner's symptoms which are caused by hypoglycemia, such as sweating or shaking

An autism service dog is a service dog trained to assist an autistic person to help them gain independence and the ability to perform activities of daily living similar to anyone else. For the most part, these dogs are trained to perform tasks similar to those of service dogs for other sensory processing disorders

A medical response dog is a service dog trained to assist an individual who has a medical disability. Typically, they are dogs whose job does not handle primarily epilepsy or psychiatric-based conditions, though some seizure response dogs or psychiatric service dogs may also be referred to as medical response.

Many medical response dogs "alert" their handlers to conditions before they occur. For example, diabetes alert dogs partnered with diabetic persons may be trained to detect when the handler's blood sugar becomes too high or low.[1] In addition to or in the absence of this training, medical response dogs are also often trained skills to help in their handlers' symptoms, such as bringing medications or a telephone, providing bracing and other mobility assistance, or any other number of tasks.[2]

Many medical response dogs may be trained by an organization or by their handler. Like all assistance dogs, they must be of a particular work-loving personality and be properly socialized if expected to work in public. There are no breed or size restrictions other than those directly related to the tasks needed.

The allowed public accessibility of medical response dogs varies from region to region. In general, areas with laws protecting the usage of guide dogs and other assistance dogs, such as in the United States,[3] also cover medical response dogs as well

A psychiatric service dog is a specific type of service dog trained to assist their handler with a psychiatric disability or a mental disability, such as post-traumatic stress disorder, schizophrenia, depression, anxiety, and bipolar disorder.[1][2]

A psychiatric service dog can assist their handler by providing a safe presence that grounds them; the dog may perhaps lean on the person to provide a calming pressure

A seizure response dog (SRD) (also known as seizure dog) is a dog demonstrating specific assisting behaviour during or immediately after a person's epileptic seizure or other seizure .[1][2] When reliably trained such dogs can serve as service dogs for people with epilepsy. Tasks for seizure dogs may include, but are not limited to:

Find someone to help
Activate an emergency response system
Stimulate a person to help them "wake up" after a seizure
Use body weight to keep the person in a specific position
Act as a brace to help the person up
Retrieve a phone or medication
Physically remove the patient from an unsafe situation (i.e. middle of a street)
A dog demonstrating specific behaviour prior to a persons epileptic seizure is also referred to as seizure alert dog (SAD).Reports suggest that some dogs can be trained to anticipate epileptic seizures. However, this ability has been questioned.

Seizure response and seizure alerting behaviour may spontaneously develop in dogs living with children and adults with epilepsy.

Guide dogs (also known as service animals, assistance animals, or colloquially as seeing eye dogs) are assistance dogs trained to lead blind and visually impaired people around obstacles.

Although dogs can be trained to navigate various obstacles, they are (red–green) color blind and incapable of interpreting street signs. The human does the directing, based on skills acquired through previous mobility training. The handler might be likened to an aircraft's navigator, who must know how to get from one place to another, and the dog is the pilot, who gets them there safely.

In several countries guide dogs, along with most service and hearing dogs, are exempt from regulations against the presence of animals in places such as restaurants and public transportation

A hearing dog is a type of assistance dog specifically selected and trained to assist people who are deaf or hard of hearing by alerting their handler to important sounds, such as doorbells, smoke alarms, ringing telephones, or alarm clocks. They may also work outside the home, alerting their handler to sounds such as sirens, forklifts, and a person calling the handler's name

A mobility assistance dog is a service dog trained to assist a physically disabled person who has mobility issues, such as wheelchair dependency or poor balance. Roles include "providing balance and stability" picking up and carrying objects, and (controversially) pulling wheelchairs. A mobility assistance dog can also be trained to open and close doors, and operate light switches, and can "have a major positive impact on the lives of recipients". These dogs usually wear a special vest so that the owner can attach a cane-like handle. This allows the dog to guide the owner and assist with their balance.

Some larger-statured dogs with sound joints are trained to pull individuals in wheelchairs, and wear a type of harness specifically designed for pulling. However, wheelchair pulling remains controversial, and is illegal in England. Many US programs limit "wheelchair pulling" to short straight distances, most commonly for assistance getting in and out of a crosswalk. One study has found that using the traction provided by the service dog has physical benefits because manual wheelchair users can operate their chairs with less effort

Another type of mobility assistance dog task is that of a "walker dog". They are used for Parkinson's disease and multiple sclerosis patients, along with other disorders and conditions. These dogs are not canes, and the handler does not put full weight on them. However, the dog can greatly assist a person with their gait and balance while walking. This technique is usually called "counterbalance". It can also be helpful for those with symptoms of proprioceptive sensory loss, such as an inability to walk in a straight line.

As with other types of assistance dogs, in many countries disabled individuals have the right to bring their mobility assistance dogs with them into places where animals are generally not allowed, such as public transportation, restaurants, and hotels. In the United States, the Americans with Disabilities Act guarantees this opportunity to disabled individuals for public access situations. If access is denied to a disabled individual, Federal and some State laws have penalties that may be brought against the business denying access.

Service dogs are often trained and supported by charitable organizations. In the UK, the dogs are called disability assistance dogs. 

Assistance Dogs International (ADI) "is a coalition of not for profit organizations that train and place assistance dogs." 

They publish a Guide to Assistance Dog Laws which summarizes the federal and state-by-state laws pertaining to service dogs.

Service animals are animals that have been trained to perform tasks that assist disabled people. Service animals may also be referred to as assistance animals, assist animals, or helper animals depending on the country and the animal's function.

Dogs are the most common service animals, assisting people in many different ways since at least 1927. Other animals such as pigs, birds, and horses have also been documented. The service animal is not required by the Americans with Disabilities Act to wear a vest, ID tag or a specific harness.

In places of public accommodation in the United States, only dogs (and in some cases miniature horses) are legally considered service animals. It is legal in certain states to have service "animals". For instance, in Montana all animals are allowed at state level. Many cats, birds, and even a wolf are working to help mitigate people's disabilities in Montana. It is also legal to train your own service animal in the United States. There is a broader definition for assistance animals under the US Fair Housing Act as well as a broader definition for service animals under the US Air Carrier Access Act. In the United States, prior to a revision of the Americans with Disabilities Act going into effect March 15, 2011, types of animals other than service dogs and miniature horses were protected at least on the Federal level; individual states could expand coverage.

An emotional support animal (ESA), assistance animal, or support animal, is a companion animal that a medical professional says provides some benefit for a person disabled by a mental health condition or emotional disorder. Emotional support animals are typically dogs, but are sometimes cats or other animals.

People who qualify for emotional support animals have verifiable psychological disabilities that substantially interfere with major life activities, such as anxiety disorder, major depressive disorder, or panic attacks.

An emotional support animal differs from a service animal. Service animals are trained to perform specific tasks (such as helping a blind person walk), while emotional support animals receive no specific training. (It therefore stands that in the setting of mental illness, whether or not the animal is a "service animal" vs. an emotional support animal would hinge on whether the dog is formally trained to do something specific to mitigate the mental illness.) Any animal that provides support, well-being, comfort, or aid, to an individual through companionship, non-judgmental positive regard, and affection may be regarded as an emotional support animal.

In the US, disabled people with emotional support animals are exempted from certain rules against having animals in most housing and travel situations. To be afforded protection under United States federal law, the owners of emotional support animals must meet the federal definition of disability and must have a letter from their healthcare providers stating that they are being treated for a disabling condition and that their emotional support animals improve or benefit some component of the disability.

A therapy dog is a dog that is trained to provide affection, comfort and love to people in hospitals, retirement homes, nursing homes, schools, hospices, or disaster areas.

The systematic use of therapy dogs is attributed to Elaine Smith, who noticed patients positively responding to visits by a chaplain and his Golden Retriever. In 1976, Smith started a program for training dogs to visit institutions.

Therapy dogs are usually not assistance or service dogs, but can be one or both with some organizations. Many organizations provide evaluation and registration for therapy dogs, sometimes with focus on a particular therapeutic practice such as reading to dogs

Carry on the good fight everyone

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Agreed.

At the post-secondary institution where I work, we have a few students who have small dogs as service dogs. Not emotional support dogs, but legitimate service dogs. One is a seizure alert dog. I don't think it is fair to assume all small dogs are fluffy pets. One also can't say that there is no time where a legitimate service dog would not be in its owners lap or with another person. The one student doesn't have the use of arms or legs, and is in a motorized wheelchair. His small dog is on a leash that clips to his belt and sits in his lap, especially inside the building where halls are so crowded there is fear of the dog being trampled. Outside the dog will walk alongside the chair. On occasion the student's human EA will hold the leash and give the potty command to the dog (it all depends on how crowded the quad is). This does not negate the dog's legitimate purpose. The seizure alert dog is a very well behaved small dog, quiet and serious. I do not know if this person would ever want to take a cruise, but if he did (and good for him if he did, cruising is such a lovely time) he'd need to bring his dog and would be well within his right to do so. Further, I imagine in crowded areas he might have the dog on his lap, or in the care of a support person at times. And this would not negate the dog's legitimate purpose either.

My small dogs are terrors. They are well educated, thanks to training courses, but use their powers for evil instead of good. My big dogs are clever yet clumsy oafs. I love them all regardless, they do make me happy, and I miss them horribly when I'm away from them, but I'd be the first person jumping overboard the ship if I had to bring them with me. There is a world of difference between a service dog and non-service dogs (or disservice dogs, as mine would have to be called). But I don't think you can so easily say small dogs cannot be service dogs, or say that legitimate service dogs are never on their owners' laps or in the care of someone else.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Greyhound Crazy said:

Agreed.

At the post-secondary institution where I work, we have a few students who have small dogs as service dogs. Not emotional support dogs, but legitimate service dogs. One is a seizure alert dog. I don't think it is fair to assume all small dogs are fluffy pets. One also can't say that there is no time where a legitimate service dog would not be in its owners lap or with another person. The one student doesn't have the use of arms or legs, and is in a motorized wheelchair. His small dog is on a leash that clips to his belt and sits in his lap, especially inside the building where halls are so crowded there is fear of the dog being trampled. Outside the dog will walk alongside the chair. On occasion the student's human EA will hold the leash and give the potty command to the dog (it all depends on how crowded the quad is). This does not negate the dog's legitimate purpose. The seizure alert dog is a very well behaved small dog, quiet and serious. I do not know if this person would ever want to take a cruise, but if he did (and good for him if he did, cruising is such a lovely time) he'd need to bring his dog and would be well within his right to do so. Further, I imagine in crowded areas he might have the dog on his lap, or in the care of a support person at times. And this would not negate the dog's legitimate purpose either.

My small dogs are terrors. They are well educated, thanks to training courses, but use their powers for evil instead of good. My big dogs are clever yet clumsy oafs. I love them all regardless, they do make me happy, and I miss them horribly when I'm away from them, but I'd be the first person jumping overboard the ship if I had to bring them with me. There is a world of difference between a service dog and non-service dogs (or disservice dogs, as mine would have to be called). But I don't think you can so easily say small dogs cannot be service dogs, or say that legitimate service dogs are never on their owners' laps or in the care of someone else.

Yep all kinds of true assistance dogs. Bella is not one

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

Again, these posts are regarding how "Service dogs" are not being hand fed at the dining room tables, painted like zebras, and paraded around in a stroller with people petting them. Also, they are NOT allowed to sit on the furniture. What you have stated about your students needs, are legitimate. It doesn't matter the size of the dog. It is how it is handled, and how it handles itself. I believe that we ALL are in agreement, that they come in all shapes and sizes. It's the behavior of the owner, and the dog, that "Give it away" that they are just a "Pet".

• Like 4