I thought Dogs weren't allowed?

1 hour ago, gkbiiii said:

I think Royal Caribbean should have one ship, that is totally dog friendly.  Royal could make a lot of cash revenue off, pet boutiques, pet salons, and special dog related shore excursions.  On ship out of 26+, would work and everyone would be happy.  I bet this would lesson all the "fake emotional support dogs" everyone seems obsessed to complain about.  There is a reason who Caesars Entertainment, Lowes, and other hotel & resort companies, are now dog friendly.  It is a huge untapped market, that is growing everyday.  Remember, pets are people too and in California, they even have special rights in divorce court!

https://www.*****.com/causes/new-california-divorce-law-recognizes-pets-as-family-members.html

There have been attempts by airlines in the past to have a smoking only flight.  It failed miserably.  Is it really an "untapped market?" I doubt it. Hotels are different because people travel with their animals and need places to stay.  A cruise ship is a "get away" from the reality of life for a week.  Most people who own pets actually don't want to take their pets on a cruise.  As for "dog related shore excursions?"  Well, you likely would have to deal with regulations of the ports. There are many places that would prevent pets from disembarking.  Here's a list of regulations for a pet to enter many of the Caribbean Islands.  Imagine the hassle and cost associated with a "dog related shore excursion."   

https://www.allatsea.net/travel-with-pets-in-the-bahamas-and-the-caribbean/

There several islands that would be good candidates for dog visits: Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Mexico, Honduras, Columbia, Belize, Costa Rica, Panama, etc.  Many of these places, may have less revenue, due to a lessioning of visitor spending.  Dog lovers love to spend, gamble, and do activities with their pets.  We are in an era, where niche markets, are where the real money is.  It is too bad, someone like Richard Branson or a big company like Royal, doesn't take notice. 

16 minutes ago, gkbiiii said:

There several islands that would be good candidates for dog visits: Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Mexico, Honduras, Columbia, Belize, Costa Rica, Panama, etc.  Many of these places, may have less revenue, due to a lessioning of visitor spending.  Dog lovers love to spend, gamble, and do activities with their pets.  We are in an era, where niche markets, are where the real money is.  It is too bad, someone like Richard Branson or a big company like Royal, doesn't take notice. 

Sounds more like you have a personal interest in this as in wanting to cruise with your dog. You are correct in this being a niche market, so it doesn´t really makes sense for a mass market Company to serve the market.

The Problem would be the People wanting to take their dogs would not want to be limited to one ship and itinerary. In Addition they would scream discrimination if they were charged a premium fare for this cruise. So with all those ships sailing full, where´s the attraction for the cruiseline to go out of their way and serve a niche market?

It doesn´t make sense for them.

If you think it´s such a profitable niche market, why not go ahead and run such a Business? I´ll follow your success or failure.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, gkbiiii said:

Not going happen on a large mainstream cruise line like Royal. A smaller line, with a Chartered cruise, maybe. Also what are the Laws entering all these different Ports/Countries with 1000+ dogs?

Edited by ONECRUISER

6 hours ago, Paulxyz2004 said:

I doubt it would work to dedicate one ship as dog friendly - btw why stop with dogs then, what about other pets?

I have to disagree about "pets are people too". No they are not! Pets are animals.

Animals are different to people and they have different needs than people as well. When you talk about their rights, what about their rights when it comes to cruising? Will they have a choice? Can they voice their opinion about to cruise or rather stay ashore in a natural environment for them?

Let´s face it, people do what they think is best for them, not for their pet and the pet has no say in this. Pets are not people!

Lol a house is a "natural environment" for a pet?  It may be what they are used to, but it certainly isn't natural!

You said "pets are animals".  News flash:  humans are animals too.

Edited by time4u2go

8 hours ago, gkbiiii said:

I think Royal Caribbean should have one ship, that is totally dog friendly.  Royal could make a lot of cash revenue off, pet boutiques, pet salons, and special dog related shore excursions.  On ship out of 26+, would work and everyone would be happy.  I bet this would lesson all the "fake emotional support dogs" everyone seems obsessed to complain about.  There is a reason who Caesars Entertainment, Lowes, and other hotel & resort companies, are now dog friendly.  It is a huge untapped market, that is growing everyday.  Remember, pets are people too and in California, they even have special rights in divorce court!

https://www.*****.com/causes/new-california-divorce-law-recognizes-pets-as-family-members.html

1 hour ago, gkbiiii said:

Silly me.

I just assumed that your first post was a joke.

😮

• Haha 1

The true innovators, think out of the box.  When I was a boy in the 80's, who would have thought people would willingly pay $5 for a cup of coffee.  Dog vacations are the next new category, which has yet to be fully develop and exploited.  

32 minutes ago, gkbiiii said:

The true innovators, think out of the box.  When I was a boy in the 80's, who would have thought people would willingly pay $5 for a cup of coffee.  Dog vacations are the next new category, which has yet to be fully develop and exploited.  

I can only imagine the chaos when one dog owner wants to go on the doggie vacation with the dog.  I can see it now, forms to fill out and notarize that explains that they are the emotional support human for the dog! 

M

ps -  I was really joking but realize that there is already doggie day care!  Perhaps gkbiii   is on to something. Yikes!

Edited by cruisegirl1

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

Lol a house is a "natural environment" for a pet?  It may be what they are used to, but it certainly isn't natural!

You said "pets are animals".  News flash:  humans are animals too.

No a house is not a natural environment for a pet and I never said it is. I haven´t mentioned houses at all.

46 minutes ago, gkbiiii said:

So what is it? A niche market or a big thing?

BTW dog vacations are nothing new and innovative.

Dog Cruises would be new, but with the already mentioned restrictions By other countries and being a niche market this won´t happen on any mass market line.

Be the true Innovator, think out of the box, charter a ship and organize a dog cruise.

5 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

So then what did you mean by "natural environment"?

Obviously that would depend on the Kind of animal we are Talking About.

I don´t know About any animal who´s natural Environment would be a cruise ship, just as I don´t know About any animal who´s natural Environment would be the bed of their owner. Well that´s besides bed Bugs. :classic_tongue:

21 minutes ago, Paulxyz2004 said:

Obviously that would depend on the Kind of animal we are Talking About.

I don´t know About any animal who´s natural Environment would be a cruise ship, just as I don´t know About any animal who´s natural Environment would be the bed of their owner. Well that´s besides bed Bugs. :classic_tongue:

...and Fleas in my Cabin

On 1/24/2019 at 1:04 AM, Zee890 said:

I have never felt the need to respond to anything on here before, but goodness, what a callous thread.

For those that want to be the pet police - why? How is something so trivial truly impacting you?  There just seems to be a lot of holier than thou, animal haters on this board.

I have always felt people that are anti pet lack empathy/compassion.

For the record - I think it is irresponsible to bring a pet on a cruise. I feel like they would just be nervous and unhappy. But the pitchfork mentality by all the "Karens" in this thread is terrible. Loudly call people out and shame them? Wow. I would never want to interact with you if that's how you handle yourself (on vacation, no less).

To the person that said you went holiday shopping and saw a couple with their dog in a mall. How was that distasteful? I love seeing people out and about with their pets - shows that they care.

Worst of all, many of you seem to be older and criticizing the "snowflake/millenial" generation,  but have no problem posting strangers photos on a public forum? A. It is truly a heinous, invasive violation of someone's privacy. Whether you agree with their life choices or not. B. If caught, you can be persecuted.

Also, I have no dog (pun intended) in this fight - but again criticizing people that have emotional therapy animals.. have you seen suicide rates? I'm sure you all are the same people that are heartbroken when someone dies of suicide and comment on how tragic it is. If an animal is a calming presence for someone that is dealing with anxiety or BPD or another mental illness that you can not visually see, even if you don't believe in it's effectiveness, what's it to you? 

Basically, all you 'shame them/speak to the manager' people - gain a soul. I'm not saying you have to agree and again I do not think it is responsible to bring pets on a ship, but chances are your partner's mouth or that guard rail you touched or a toilet seat have more germs than an interaction with a dog. Put that into perspective. 

Edited to add: it would be one thing if this were a completely out of hand problem. I do not agree with people masquerading their dogs as service animals, but if they don't claim it to be and the ship has allowed them, so be it. But 4 out of upwards of 3000 guests is the vast minority because the rest of us are sensible not to bring pets on board. But for how minor it is in the scheme of things in life, why be so negative?

Because I am FOR the disabled. Every self-absorbed person who tries to pass off their pet as an "emotional support" or other type of service animal makes like more difficult for those with ACTUAL service animals.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, gkbiiii said:

I agree. There should be a ship that carries dogs and smokers (Yeah, I decided to throw in smokers, on my own)! I'm absolutely sure that the ship would have SO MANY people knocking down the doors, just to be able to work on it. You know, feeding your precious little ankle biters, picking up their crap, shampooing carpet non-stop, washing the fur from the linens, and spraying air freshener all over the place. If they ever did such a thing, it would NEVER be sailed by 90% of people I would guess. 

Edited by FireEMT978
  • Like 1

At least two dogs on the Harmony now. One is only 4 doors down from me. A very well behaved toy schnauzer. Very cute, but I feel bad for it in the crowds. People on these ships can’t even pay attention, and avoid running into other people, so I’d worry about any dog getting hurt. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

At least two dogs on the Harmony now. One is only 4 doors down from me. A very well behaved toy schnauzer. Very cute, but I feel bad for it in the crowds. People on these ships can’t even pay attention, and avoid running into other people, so I’d worry about any dog getting hurt. 

I have seen 4 small dogs on Harmony this week. They all seemed well behaved. They were all on long leashes so you had to make sure you didn’t run into them. 

Every one talking about dogs....Some with erroneous information:  Yes, certification of service dogs is not a violation of the owner's rights to ask. Next, service dogs will have specific "coat" worn while in public areas. Next, islands..those dogs could be quaranteed if they leave the ship…..again, not all service dogs are permitted, it is an individual country's regulations.

To those that are not bothered.....go back to the "final Straw" the made Royal finally take the action:  The lady whose dog took a poop at the guest services desk and walked away.  If you are not bothered, watch where you step!

3 hours ago, pilot said:

I have seen 4 small dogs on Harmony this week. They all seemed well behaved. They were all on long leashes so you had to make sure you didn’t run into them. 

I only saw the greyish larger dog and the toy schnauzer. 

I was more aggravated by all the horribly behaved kids!! UGH too many for January!! 🙄

• Like 1