Room Cleaning Changed to Once a Day?

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

This is the first post I’ve seen, so unless the change happened today I would say your room steward is being lazy. 

Why jump to that conclusion? Maybe the room steward is super busy? Maybe the OP is not putting up the sign to let them know to clean? 

So AM cleaning and PM turn down. Thats what it's been for the 5 years or so we've cruised Royal. We didn't have VOOM info or coupon sheet until probably 7pm boarding day. I know turn around day is crazy so I shrugged it off. He came by around 9 that night to do turn down. Today, the room hasnt been touched yet and it's quarter to 3. Just seems very off compared to all previous cruises. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

Why jump to that conclusion? Maybe the room steward is super busy? Maybe the OP is not putting up the sign to let them know to clean? 

Maybe I did jump to that conclusion however by the sounds of the OP’s post it sounds like it’s been more than one day that the room hasn’t been made up in the morning.  We’ve never had an attendant not clean our room with or without putting up the signs.  On occasion they have asked us if we would mind if they did it towards the end of the morning but never missed it and especially without communicating with the guest.

OP since this may be a continuing problem, I would call House Keeping.  The phone should have a button.  Ask if there is a problem?  Don't call Guest Service because you will get quicker response from the housekeeping department.  Maybe the steward is new or has been sick.  

9 minutes ago, AlexanderBeetle said:

Dont want misrepresent it. We are on day 2. It's a sea day. We just got back to the room having been gone for about 5 hours. 

We aren't ones to complain. Just wondering if expectations should change is all. 

No, your expectations should not change, you stateroom should be serviced twice a day.

On our last cruise after being off the ship most of the day came back to see a do not disturb sign on our door.  The attendant was down the hall and came over almost immediately to see when he could get into our cabin.  On getting into the cabin we also had a call from housekeeping making sure all was ok since the sign had been out all day.  I would say something is off with attendant.

Know couple my cruises this last year Room Attendant wouldn't get some AM rooms done until after lunch. Timing is tough as not all passengers leave/return set times. In old days guy(no woman then) would work all day, every time we left the room he'd come in and straighten/clean, sometimes 8+ times a day. But back then they had only 8 rooms to do now it's 12-16 rooms...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

If the "please make up room" sign is out and your room doesn't get serviced, DEFINITELY report it to housekeeping.  

In my case, I don't go to bed until 4-5am most days, and I sleep all morning with the Do Not Disturb sign up.  I explain to the steward on the first day that this will be the case, and just ask that he leave extra towels every evening in case he can't get in during the morning.  I also explain that his inability to service my room because of MY schedule will not have a negative effect on his survey.  

I'd still guess that he manages to get the room done 90% of the time sometime in the afternoon, even though he's not supposed to be on duty at that time.  Probably helps that my room doesn't need much done... I only use it to sleep and shower.

17 hours ago, blackshirt said:

Just wondering what you mean the steward is super busy?  If the room isn't cleaned, and no signs put out to say, don't clean the room, than the only conclusion is the steward did not do the job correctly.  There really is no excuse for employees not to do the job they get paid for. 

I would make sure that you talk to the housekeeping head, to make sure it doesn't happen again.

17 hours ago, luvscruising2007 said:

OP since this may be a continuing problem, I would call House Keeping.  The phone should have a button.  Ask if there is a problem?  Don't call Guest Service because you will get quicker response from the housekeeping department.  Maybe the steward is new or has been sick.  

1 day is not a continuing problem

1 hour ago, cruisinfanatic said:

1 day is not a continuing problem

If you read my post you would see that I said "may" be a continuing problem. My advice still stands.  OP should call housekeeping so that the steward does a better job with taking care of the OP's cabin.

OP please come back and tell us how things are going. Enjoy your cruise.

5 hours ago, Havingfun2010 said:

Just wondering what you mean the steward is super busy?  If the room isn't cleaned, and no signs put out to say, don't clean the room, than the only conclusion is the steward did not do the job correctly.  There really is no excuse for employees not to do the job they get paid for. 

Never said otherwise. The stewards have quite a few rooms to attend to, so maybe this particular steward is slow or otherwise not very good at their job. But lazy is the least likely reason for not getting to the OP’s room. I was only suggesting there are other reasons besides laziness. I never said it was acceptable.

6 hours ago, Havingfun2010 said:

Just wondering what you mean the steward is super busy?  If the room isn't cleaned, and no signs put out to say, don't clean the room, than the only conclusion is the steward did not do the job correctly.  

IME putting out the "Please Service Room" sign helps the steward prioritize cleaning. I hadn't been used to putting out a sign for that but one time a steward mentioned looking for the sign to clean. Since then we've put out the sign when we go to breakfast and the room has been serviced when we return.

6 hours ago, luvscruising2007 said:

If you read my post you would see that I said "may" be a continuing problem. My advice still stands.  OP should call housekeeping so that the steward does a better job with taking care of the OP's cabin.

OP please come back and tell us how things are going. Enjoy your cruise.

I did read your post. Must be why I responded to it. One missed cleaning doesn't constitute a "reoccurring" problem

Idk why I’m thinking that they don’t vacuum the rooms as often as they used to do before. They do clean the bathroom etc but vacuum cleaning is not really enforced. I had a piece of paper near the closet room and it never moved frkm

tje floor. I also had an Advil that I unintentionally dropped and was there the whole week. Maybe it’s consistency but now I rarely hear the vacuum clean noise from anybstaterrom as we walk by the walkways.