Living on the Edge with vtcruising!: A Live Review!

vtcruising

9 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

I'm so glad they “improved” your verandah furniture. Perhaps you could share a picture? 😊

Yes, it is a very comfortable lounger. I went out there this morning and enjoyed the sunrise. The DH will be happy as it looks like it will be a lovely sunny day. I've got a lot to get done - last day on the Edge for 7 weeks! 😔

image.thumb.png.26dcbe24bc5993fb5d2ecfc8f38b835d.png

image.thumb.png.b21014854f4ee0e10acb58e08de9d2c0.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Marilyn, would you let us know if the Eden stage lights flash in your eyes while you’re dining? We have an Eden reservation, but I am a little concerned about the lighting (migraine trigger). Thanks, Michelle 

I'm not sure this is the show for you, Michelle. There were some flashing lights and sometimes a drum beating.  I will post a few examples. I'll try to post a video later.

image.thumb.png.c983cb224c8c9f5ef9ead1120eec7ae8.png

image.thumb.png.ebe3936750fefde40ee935dff7b82a6b.png

image.thumb.png.9d7e791ef59a1c5e1ae01242aea31cfa.png

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Yes, it is a very comfortable lounger. I went out there this morning and enjoyed the sunrise. The DH will be happy as it looks like it will be a lovely sunny day. I've got a lot to get done - last day on the Edge for 7 weeks! 😔

Thats what those aft rooms need....its a long walk to the retreat!

Now a table.....

• Like 3

Last night we saw a comedian for the show - that was a lot of fun. The theater was packed so I think others agree - the production shows weren't as full. The theater is very comfortable. The seats with tables up front are first come/first serve.

image.thumb.png.918b52bfeda74501db581e408b1a64b1.png

image.thumb.png.745befa0c0bb2912f7af284a8fe2d7bd.png

We are not into production shows so enjoyed this more. Here are some pictures of Hype:

image.thumb.png.96b458bf248d23a45e84949dcc0a52eb.png

image.thumb.png.809a65de2f7231b0c972f0d0ddc3e7f1.png

We went to the Club late last night. That place was hopping -they were doing Hypo where they pass around the camera and take pictures that are then flashed up on the giant screen. It was a very lively, happy place, but not for us.

image.thumb.png.a8cf926501a53d36f8ea7386ee2035e3.png

• Like 2

Eden was a trip. I really can't explain it. It was fun to watch everyone's reactions. It seemed to be enjoyed by most, likely because it was like an accident scene - you just can't turn away. 😉

I hadn't told my DH much except that it would be a bit bizarre and just go with it. I didn't have time for a cocktail before, but luckily they take you to the bar and give you some sort of earthy potion to start you off. The person who gave us the drinks had a staring contest with my DH and she blinked first. She told him she was looking for his soul - I said that he doesn't have one  and she said "I know, that's why I was looking so long."  It was a fun way to start the evening.

The waiters are normal and excellent, though we had Furry Shoulder Guy bring us the first course and a goddess and Man in Black Robe Get Up circling through to gaze at us. We each had an interesting cocktail (included in package), which seemed to have a lot of alcohol in it and then lovely wine with dinner. It helped to keep us giggling and in the mood for this out there show.

The restaurant is in the bottom level and some of the show is up a deck so try to get a table where you can see what's going on above. There is quite a bit of action below as well with people swinging on things and doing acrobatics. The Crescendo singing/swinging part is pretty good to watch. We went upstairs after dinner and watched the sinful part - not horribly erotic, but quite interesting - it was packed and people up there were totally drawn into that show.

The dinner was actually pretty good. There is no silverware or napkins on the table, but later you are told where to find it. 🙂  The menus are below - you can pick and choose through the 5 courses. It is a lot of food and there are other interesting tidbits too. The orb that opens with hot chocolate is grande finale. There is a vegetarian option in the app. There is a lot of seafood in the 2 menus to choose from which was fine with us. The steak was like butter and melted in our mouths. The grouper was superb as well.

image.png.32cb871f1f5fb7f66b65540fc9e3ea3b.png

image.thumb.png.82ec90273ba7d54076246ae09b1fc0aa.pngimage.thumb.png.a0090606e6da5b709e6c7411e9c6b7fd.png

image.thumb.png.f7f8b7fc70c8c2510a6c4c22e99185eb.png

image.thumb.png.b940c1635e07f3c8610756a6f492b80e.pngimage.thumb.png.91b93eccc3480e59eabeec55daa79c11.png

image.thumb.png.1825e738670e2b2285f94856f10e827d.png

image.thumb.png.b4009c51f6050d668c0a06b5d319a836.png

image.thumb.png.314a5f54fe9446c6c2a3ba58839ce3d3.png

"Good Eden."  (that was what they say there when you arrive and when a new person comes to the table). It was a Good Eden!

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I'm not sure this is the show for you, Michelle. There were some flashing lights and sometimes a drum beating.  I will post a few examples. I'll try to post a video later.

Thanks Marilyn. I’m enjoying the photos. I knew there would be some bright lights, but couldn’t tell if they’d constantly flash, especially directly in my eyes while watching the performance. I’d hoped there would be some seating where this wouldn’t be an issue. The drums aren’t a problem. The venue looks like so much fun😊 I look forward to the rest of your photos and video, but please enjoy your last day of this cruise! I’m sure all of us can wait a couple days for more details😁 Thanks again! Michelle 

Edited by Silkroad

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

I have a reservation for Dinner on the MC tonight - it will likely be on 5 attached to Raw on 5, but is a moving target (literally). As long as I get to eat on the MC, I don't care where it is! 🙂

Has lunch been served on it while on deck 5 yet as an extension of Raw? 

44 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

That is much better!

I would really rather have 2 comfortable chairs and regular height table to eat on. We will be on board in less than a week, and I've got a feeling we’re going to be very disappointed. I don’t know whether or not we will keep our upcoming TA on Edge in April. It's a lot of money for an experience that won’t be as enjoyable as one we would have on other X ships (that is until they “revolutionize” them and change the verandah furniture!)  It's the little details that can make a big difference... 😉

• Like 2

I am glad that the Eden show we saw on the main level wasn't  brought down to the restaurant. That would have made eating a challenge.  Based on the Eden dinging experience, it did sound like they would be right there.  Carol asked me what I though of Eden and I said that it was very strange and the people walking around acted like they were on a bad mushroom trip.  But like you said, it is like watching a car wreck and I kept going back several times.

The limited menu keeps me from being interested in Eden for dinner.  I do hope that the food was good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

VT, completely different subject but I stumbled on an article about the Edge retail offerings and found this. Methinks you need some jewelry!

Edge Steel Collection: A limited-edition fashion jewellery collection made from the first cut of steel used to build the ship. Pieces are inspired by elements of the ship’s architecture and design, such as the Magic Carpet, the outdoor movie screen on the Pool Deck and design features in the Solarium.”

The whole read is kind of interesting. 

https://www.dfnionline.com/lead-stories/starboard-elevates-senses-transformative-retail-onboard-celebrity-edge-03-12-2018/

Edited by DachshundsRule

2 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Finally Fabulous!

I wonder if they snatched it from the Edge Villa!

Marylin - I'm happy you got a lounger by complaining to the suites manager.  But this is not a general solution for most.  If you are willing you should bring the balcony furniture issues (suites and non-suites) to the attention of the Hotel Director.  I have found this to be very effective on past cruises.  He/she will be happy to meet with you and listen.  As for the rest of us sailing Edge we need to be very direct on our customer comment surveys.  Also the issue needs to be publicized on any social media outlet of your choice.  They need to fix the situation on Edge and do a better job with furniture on Apex.

I am not on the Edge until Jan. 2020. We have a large balcony SV cabin. We spend a lot of time on our balcony and don`t go to the pool. 

Sitting with my feet up is a must. The Edge might be a one and done for me. I hope they don`t change the balcony furniture on the S class ships. We are on a Hawaii cruise in April on the Solstice and look forward to 5 sea days with my feet up relaxing on the balcony. 

22 hours ago, vtcruising said:

The menu is in the app. I can't find a paper copy. They don't want to give us paper anything. I'll ask if there is something printed. I can't even find the room service menu on the TV.

Thanks ... I located it on the app.  Have you seen what is available at the Oceanview Cafe for Late Night offerings (app says its open 10:30 pm to 1 AM) ... sometimes I get a case of the munchies - l0l  🙂 

I am hoping celebrity will hear enough noise about this and fix the furniture for the suites. I don’t know that it could be fixed for the IVs? The only solution I can think of is a larger table that folds the top half down and can be stored away to make sure there is room to operate the doors, but because there’s just not enough space on these “balconies,” a larger table just isn’t going to work. It could be pulled out and top folded up for room service purposes because the current set up is absolutely ridiculous (especially suites where there is definitely enough room for larger furniture). Some people love breakfast on their veranda and it’s almost like they tried to discourage room service with this setup. The complaints will come through and I really think something will be done but it may take some time. And they’re listening for the future ships for sure.

1 minute ago, CruisingTheWaves said:

I am hoping celebrity will hear enough noise about this and fix the furniture for the suites. I don’t know that it could be fixed for the IVs? The only solution I can think of is a larger table that folds the top half down and can be stored away to make sure there is room to operate the doors, but because there’s just not enough space on these “balconies,” a larger table just isn’t going to work. It could be pulled out and top folded up for room service purposes because the current set up is absolutely ridiculous (especially suites where there is definitely enough room for larger furniture). Some people love breakfast on their veranda and it’s almost like they tried to discourage room service with this setup. The complaints will come through and I really think something will be done but it may take some time. And they’re listening for the future ships for sure.

I agree. The problem with the IV's is that they have been classified as “infinite verandahs” which is a misnomer because there is no real verandah. Imo, the table and chairs were designed to fit in them. Though the furniture may look “hip” it is totally impractical.

We enjoy having breakfast on the verandah of our suite on every cruise. It never occurred to me that X would be trying to discourage this. That makes me very disappointed.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

I agree. The problem with the IV's is that they have been classified as “infinite verandahs” which is a misnomer because there is no real verandah. Imo, the table and chairs were designed to fit in them. Though the furniture may look “hip” it is totally impractical.

We enjoy having breakfast on the verandah of our suite on every cruise. It never occurred to me that X would be trying to discourage this. That makes me very disappointed.

Funny, when I first saw the table situation in the IV cabin my first thought was Celebrity is cutting back on room service.  The table/stool is a total joke for a substitute coffee table and who would want to eat breakfast on the veranda from a less than knee high table.  I will say the chairs are comfortable.

Katie

• Like 1

Marilyn, I have some questions about Eden.

Is this an extra cost venue? If so, what is the cost? Does one HAVE to eat dinner there to enjoy the entertainment?

There is a lot of seafood on that menu, and while I love seafood, it makes DH extremely ill. However, I LOVE theater and performance art, and the more unusual, the better. If I ever get on this ship, I would love to partake of the experience.

I do have a comment on prices. After learning that Captain Kate would be transitioning from the Equinox to the Edge, I looked up prices. OMG, it's SO expensive! We love our balconies, and one of the things that intrigues me about this ship is the IV. I could practically sail on Oceania for the cost of an IV on a similar itinerary on the Edge. I wonder if, when Apex comes on board, prices will decrease any? It is nowhere near my budget right now, and that is so disappointing. We do love Celebrity, but we may just have to stick with M and S class ships, not that there is anything wrong with that. I just want to try something new and exciting.

The problem is the Apex is already under construction. The design costs must be tremendous and it likely takes multiple ships to pay this off... so unlikely to see any major structural changes. This is why I wondered if they could remove the bifold doors and extend the tile surface further into the cabin to create at least a deeper veranda. Nothing can be done about the width however. The other idea is on future designs... could the overall cabin be extended say 12 - 18" and keep the folding doors... that might work. The doors should not interfere with seating

Edited by kearney

3 minutes ago, kimlovesfl said:

I do have a comment on prices. After learning that Captain Kate would be transitioning from the Equinox to the Edge, I looked up prices. OMG, it's SO expensive! We love our balconies, and one of the things that intrigues me about this ship is the IV. I could practically sail on Oceania for the cost of an IV on a similar itinerary on the Edge. I wonder if, when Apex comes on board, prices will decrease any? It is nowhere near my budget right now, and that is so disappointing. We do love Celebrity, but we may just have to stick with M and S class ships, not that there is anything wrong with that. I just want to try something new and exciting.

Apex is already open for booking and her fares are comparable to those of the Edge. Unfortunately all new ships debut with “premium prices”. Hopefully prices will begin to come down in the future.

I have been enjoying your review soooo much. We have a B/B starting March 24th in S1 aft and because of the veranda furniture actually starting looking at alternative cruises. We love breakfast on the veranda and dinner at least once in our suite.  I am so disappointed in the furniture or lack thereof. We actually spend a lot of time "lounging" on our deck and this is a VERY expensive cruise that will simply not be what we are used to with Celebrity.:classic_sad:

spending time in our cabin does not look "relaxing" at all!  I am hoping that Celebrity has this corrected before we depart...this is what happens when NON cruisers design the space. They can take the rocker and give me a table and decent chairs in the stateroom and loungers and a table on the deck!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, maggie.1008 said:

I am not on the Edge until Jan. 2020. We have a large balcony SV cabin. We spend a lot of time on our balcony and don`t go to the pool. 

Sitting with my feet up is a must. The Edge might be a one and done for me. I hope they don`t change the balcony furniture on the S class ships. We are on a Hawaii cruise in April on the Solstice and look forward to 5 sea days with my feet up relaxing on the balcony. 

Agree completely. The ship is the itinerary and the cabin is the oasis. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kimlovesfl said:

Marilyn, I have some questions about Eden.

Is this an extra cost venue? If so, what is the cost? Does one HAVE to eat dinner there to enjoy the entertainment?

There is a lot of seafood on that menu, and while I love seafood, it makes DH extremely ill. However, I LOVE theater and performance art, and the more unusual, the better. If I ever get on this ship, I would love to partake of the experience.

The thing to do is let the Maitre d' know as soon as possible about desired meal(s) and I Am sure they will do their best to accommodate.

At least that is my plan... for our sailing.

The FCSH already knows that two (2) vegans are in tow and will plan something spectacular for us!!!!

I will do the same for Eden...

bon voyage