Is NCL getting rid of Sun and Sky?

Busy Barge

7 hours ago, Screwzer said:

Any idea when their 2019 fall winter 2020 spring summer itineraries will be posted?   Suppose Sky will continue the predictable 3 day 4 day runs but Sun has been doing long cruises.  

Should be later this month. In the past, i noticed the Fall itinerary  is usually posted with a press released around December 15 or so 

• Like 1

Just to clarify, saying that a recent dry docking precludes a potential sale is incorrect.  Regardless of whether the ship is up for sale or not, statutory dry dock inspections must be kept up, or no buyer would take the ship, as there would not be a "certificate of class" (insurance underwriting), or a "certificate of registry" (think of your car's registry), neither of which the ship can sail without.

• Like 1

The Sun not only underwent required and preventative maintenance but it received significant hotel refurbishment, upgrade, and retrofit to new and current NCL product standards.  I believe when Leonardo class comes to fruition you will see Spirit, Sun, Sky, and eventually Dawn retired. Right now NCL benefits from any and all available capacity. They won’t park anything as it would decrease our bottom line. 

We sailed on the Sun to Cuba about a month ago.  The ship looks great and the crew were better than great.  This was our 3rd sailing on the Sun...hopefully she will stay...bigger is not always better.😃

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, RunBikeCruiseDC said:

I hope they keep some shorter cruises.  We did two 7 days in 2018, the only way we will be able to cruise next year would be shorter ones.  I wish they would bring a small ship to Port of Baltimore!

I wish they would, too.  I was aboard the Dawn a couple of years ago on a repo cruise from Quebec to Tampa that called at Baltimore for the day...a great port of call, and it would be nice to see the Dawn sent there...she would be nicer than the Carnival and RCI ships that are currently homeported there, IMHO....

7 hours ago, softl said:

I'm booked on the Sun to Cuba in April....

Just curious, is it the April 6 sailing? I was looking at that but couldn't figure out if drinks are included. It didn't say open bar but when I clicked on it one of the perks was premium bar package with gratuities of only $28pp which tells me maybe the basic drinks are included. 

On 12/3/2018 at 2:31 AM, Screwzer said:

Any idea when their 2019 fall winter 2020 spring summer itineraries will be posted?   Suppose Sky will continue the predictable 3 day 4 day runs but Sun has been doing long cruises.  

Just off the Escape. The Cruise Next Staff said that itineraries through April 2021 will be released on December 18th.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2018 at 2:01 PM, AKR2011 said:

Just off the Escape. The Cruise Next Staff said that itineraries through April 2021 will be released on December 18th.

Still nothing available after 8/2019. Any idea when she will be available to book?

• 3 months later...
31 minutes ago, Barge Master said:

They now have sailings through November 2019 but nothing beyond. Don't think they are going anywhere but Sun is not doing long cruises anymore.  Too bad. 

I just looked and can't find anything beyond November 2019 for the Sky and Sun. That's only 8 months away. Is it normal for the Sun & Sky to not have anything out more then 8 months out? Most cruises are bookable 2+ years in advance.

5 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

I just looked and can't find anything beyond November 2019 for the Sky and Sun. That's only 8 months away. Is it normal for the Sun & Sky to not have anything out more then 8 months out? Most cruises are bookable 2+ years in advance.

I don't think it's normal as most cruises are posted somewhere between 18 to 24 months prior to sailing.  

33 minutes ago, Barge Master said:

I don't think it's normal as most cruises are posted somewhere between 18 to 24 months prior to sailing.  

Last Sky bookable is the 4 day on 11/21/19. Something is definitely going on with those 2 ships...