Dining on Royal Caribbean as Solo Cruiser

I'm a solo cruiser cruising for the first time. I'm not really clear how dining would work as a solo diner. Would they place me with people at another table in the main dining room or would I be seated myself? Would it be better to get the fixed seating time or does it matter? I decided to get an internet package so I can surf the net but would rather talk to people.

Thanks,

Christina

If you choose traditional dining, ask for a large table so that there is a good chance of others each night.  If you wish to eat alone, you can either request a table alone, or do MTD, where you are only seated with whoever is in your "party".  Don't count on My Time Diners to want a tablemate...most like to dine alone.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, christinand said:

I'm a solo cruiser cruising for the first time. I'm not really clear how dining would work as a solo diner. Would they place me with people at another table in the main dining room or would I be seated myself? Would it be better to get the fixed seating time or does it matter? I decided to get an internet package so I can surf the net but would rather talk to people.

Thanks,

Christina

If you choose traditional dining, you can ask for a large table and you will then be seated with others.

If you choose My Time Dining, then you will have to ask to share when you show up at the dining room.

I just recently did a solo cruise and did My Time dining where I requested a table for two.  I only ate by myself one night.  I noticed a more senior lady sitting alone also and on the second night asked if she would like to join me.  We had some wonderful conversations and she was so thankful that I had asked her to join me.

You can also try the singles get together and ask if someone would like to join you for dinner.

My Time dining helps because if it doesn't work out, you can easily change your dining time.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, christinand said:

Thanks for the replies. So would I be better off going with traditional dining rather then my time dining if I want to sit with other people?

That would be my guess.  Unfortunately, you never know if the guests at your traditional table will show up.  That's why I suggest a table for 8, better chance for some to show up.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, christinand said:

Thanks for the replies. So would I be better off going with traditional dining rather then my time dining if I want to sit with other people?

I have cruised as a solo for a number of years - personally prefer traditional dining at a table for 8.  Only several times have I asked to change tables because I thought it wasn't the right group for me. Did not enjoy MTD  - was seated alone for the whole cruise.  Don't mind at breakfast or lunch but enjoy others at dinner.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, christinand said:

I cruised solo and had my time dining. I didn't want to be restricted to a specific time. Every night, I never prebooked and always asked to be sat on a large table. Sometimes I was the first person to sit down but often that was only for 10 minutes. If you want to sit with exactly the same person each night, then do for fixed time dining however if you want the flexibility then opt for my time. I never had to wait for a table (well maybe 5 mins one night) and was always sat with other people.

My last 4 cruises have been solo. Join a large table; 8 or larger. You will find all types of people that want to got to know you. Do not be too political it can ruin a table quickly. Strange as it sounds I have been put at a table of non english speaking group; avoid that at all costs. Breakfasts in the MDR is a good choice to meet others.

• Like 1

When I first started cruising solo, sitting at a large table was no problem.  Now I do MTD because after the first night, most people don't show up.  I found myself alone or if a couple showed up, they ate quickly and left.  With MTD, I can sit at a small table myself or ask to be seated with others.  I also go  to the Windjammer.  There is a big difference sitting at an 8 top alone or a table for 2. The tables are close together and I usually start talking with people at the next table.

• Like 1

I have been solo traveling for the last 5 years.  I have tried all the dining options available.  Three years ago I was placed at a table of 10 in the MDR.  This was the best experience ever.  All from different states and life experiences, but we have the best  comoradity.  We now have booked a cruise together the first of December ever since.  We love individual, family and group time.  I have also had non successful seatings, but I fully believe in always trying a MDR experience.  The year I met these dear friends, I had decided to do the ultimate dining package and eat on my own at a specialty restaurant every night.  I went to dinner the first night to meet everyone and let them know I would miss many dinners.  It was such a blessed time, I never mentioned my dining package and I arrived at 8 every night to share the days experience together.  My life is richer for making these wonderful people my friends.  Love your solo traveling, but do not miss enriching your life.  Happy travels and maybe our paths will cross.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, WELDON said:

When I first started cruising solo, sitting at a large table was no problem.  Now I do MTD because after the first night, most people don't show up.  I found myself alone or if a couple showed up, they ate quickly and left.  With MTD, I can sit at a small table myself or ask to be seated with others.  I also go  to the Windjammer.  There is a big difference sitting at an 8 top alone or a table for 2. The tables are close together and I usually start talking with people at the next table.

Hi, 

I completely agree with this post. In the past, when I cruised solo, I always requested traditional dining and a large table. This worked out very well and I enjoyed talking with my tablemates. However, this has greatly changed during the past few years. In the dining room, many people don't show up for traditional dining. I have dined alone at tables for eight on several occasions (which feels awkward to me). I typically arrived at my table on time and waited 15 to 20 minutes to see if anyone else would join me. MTD is probably the best option for solo cruisers in the dining room.

Chuck

• Like 1

Thanks. The cruise isn't until next year so I have time to decide. What my travel agent said is if traditional diners don't show up, they may sit you at those empty spots for MTD. I'm not sure if that's true. I assume the internet would work so I can always net surf if I am sitting by myself for MTD. It seems like people have had good and bad experiences both ways.

Edited by christinand

While I haven't cruised solo, first one coming up in June and am doing the MTD, I have been traveling solo for 10+ years. If I am at a table by myself I like to bring a book or I also have a journal to write down my thoughts. What's also really helpful is to go through my photos and write down what they are/why I took them. This way when I get home I have the details instead of trying to remember.

Thanks for all the useful comments and advice. I'm booked on my first RCI cruise, and also solo. I have set dining selected at the moment as I was advised this would be best for meeting people, but having second thoughts now. 

I have sailed solo several times and opt for the traditional dining at the early seating.  Generally, they seat you with folks around your age.  I had one cruise where there were 11 of us at a rectangular table and it seemed like an "odd-ball" group.  My other experiences have been enjoyable and some of them really fun.  You can always try it and see what happens.  If it doesn't work for you, there are other options.

Enjoy your cruise!

Patti 

• Like 1

My husband and I have mtd for the first time this cruise because early seating was not available, hubby needs to eat earlier rather than later, I don't mind a table for two, but love talking with others as well, will see how it goes. 

I always travel solo.  My best worst memory was being placed at a table for 4.  It was me and a newlywed couple!  I was seated with one to my left and one to my right and ate while they gazed across the table into each others eyes!  It was really uncomfortable for them and me.  Needless to say, I did not return to that table the rest of the cruise.  At another time, I was seated at a table for 10.  It was a large group and they spent the first 2 meals trying to set me up with "Gretta" who had lost her husband a year ago.  Again, I was uncomfortable.  Scared for life, I tend to request a table alone or go to a specialty or Windjammer.

• Haha 1