Specialty Dining

8 minutes ago, Colorado Babe said:

Why do we all continue to purchase the Specialty dining package when there are so many complaints that they have declined? Is the dining room food so bad that we have no other choice but to pay more for just a decent meal?  

We don't all purchase specialty dining.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I never purchase the package. I do one specialty dining per cruise as a treat. I have personally always had a wonderful time in the MDR where the food has always been great and service excellent. Never had any issues. But then again, I am pretty easy going. Others may have a different experience. I would never personally purchase a food package when dining is included already. 

• Thanks 1

We don't buy the dining package but will treat ourselves to a specialty restaurant once in a while just as a change of pace.  Probably did 8 over the past 6 years on various ships (Anthem / Oasis / Allure / Liberty / Serenade).

Of the 8, I would say 3 were truly great and worth every penny, 2 were pretty good and 3 were just ok, not awful, but not worth the price of entry.

So for me, it's basically a 50-50 toss-up.  Interestingly, we did Chops 3 times and hit each category once (great, good, ok).

1 hour ago, 37645 said:

I never purchase the package. I do one specialty dining per cruise as a treat. I have personally always had a wonderful time in the MDR where the food has always been great and service excellent. Never had any issues. But then again, I am pretty easy going. Others may have a different experience. I would never personally purchase a food package when dining is included already. 

I feel the same, once is enough. Of course, I live in an area that has tons of really good restaurants that we frequent and are close to Manhattan if we get bored with the local offerings so don’t feel the need to do specialty restaurants on a cruise. Now, I do have friends who live in areas where they are lucky to have a few chain restaurants so are more apt to try specialty restaurants on a ship. 

We have been purchasing the 5 night package but not for the reasons indicated by the OP. Food in the main dining room is perfectly fine, but the crowds and noise levels (particularly in the anytime dining sections of the larger ships) have gotten to the point that its most unpleasant. We like having a variety of dining experiences which the package affords, the more attentive service and quieter atmosphere. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cruzeluver said:

We have been purchasing the 5 night package but not for the reasons indicated by the OP. Food in the main dining room is perfectly fine, but the crowds and noise levels (particularly in the anytime dining sections of the larger ships) have gotten to the point that its most unpleasant. We like having a variety of dining experiences which the package affords, the more attentive service and quieter atmosphere. 

WE also purchase the 5 night package.  We also find the noise in the main dining room is very loud and the service is so slow.  I have a fusion in my back and sitting in the dining room for 2 hours is unbearable.  I do enjoy going to the dining room on lobster night though. It's the only time on a ship that you will see me gorge. Most waiters find it entertaining to see a woman eat just as much as a grown man.  Sometimes I can eat 3-4 lobster tails and prime rib, potato, etc. 🙂   

We eat most meals in specialty restaurants for several years, we like the food and service when is normally way better than mdr. I thought we would eat most dinners in suite restaurant on recent cruise but after two nights wife wanted to eat rest of meals in specialty restaurants. 

We usually do one a cruise. It's nice to sit across from your partner and be able to have an actual conversation without yelling over the constant MDR noise. Nothing better than turning a formal night into a romantic date night in the middle of the ocean. :classic_love:

3 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

We’re doing the UDT because I’m bored with the regular menu and want to try something different.  At $200 pp for 7 dinners and 4 lunches, we find it worthwhile.

At $18 pp a meal, that's quite the deal and will make just about any specialty restaurant worthwhile. 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

We’re doing the UDT because I’m bored with the regular menu and want to try something different.  At $200 pp for 7 dinners and 4 lunches, we find it worthwhile.

I guess if you cruise really frequently you could get "bored" with the offerings in the MDR. We only cruise once or at most twice a year so there have always been plenty of menu items that we can enjoy. We have only cruised with RCI, Princess and Carnival and we have always been happy with the food in the MDR. Sometimes it's really good and sometimes it's just ok, not unlike going to a restaurant in our home town. The great thing about the ship is that if you didn't like your meal in the MDR there are lots of other places to go to where you can get something else to eat. It's great that there are options for everyone and that the cruise lines are making it more reasonable to purchase specialty dining if that is your preference. However or wherever you decide to eat on a cruise you will never have to go to bed hungry😊

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

The great thing about the ship is that if you didn't like your meal in the MDR there are lots of other places to go to where you can get something else to eat. 😊

Unless you're on a Disney cruise, where non-MDR options are few and far between, and most other food venues that do exist shut down as soon as the MDR opens.

8 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

I think specialty dining is a very US thing as there is hardly any developed food culture where people live on land.....:classic_rolleyes:

We have so much better food where we live - specialty dining is much better back home than on the ship!👍

What's tasty in Norway?

• Like 1