Princess Cays Fire

CRLess

Not sure if it is as bad as reported, but the Bahamas Press is reporting a major fire at Princess Cays overnight...I'm unable to link the article to this post however.  Hopefully it's not too bad and it is just "fake news".

Feel bad for the people who rely on this island for their jobs. We were supposed to be there on Feb 23 on the Caribbean Princess. They'll find alternate arrangements for us so I'm not worried about that. Hope they can keep these people employed as they rebuild.

The fire was alleged to start by an overheated generator.  Given that the fire truck personnel were located 30 minutes away, the fire had a good start.  Sounds like the fire did significant damage to the resort on the end of the 100 mile long island.  I don't imagine it will be used for many months but lets hope they can quickly repair it.  

• Like 1

I’m saddened to read of the event. The biggest fear of any (in this case) Cruise company is fire. I realize this is on land, but nonetheless it reminds us that musters are so important. I truly hope no one was hurt or worse. 

Glenn

2 hours ago, CRLess said:

Not sure if it is as bad as reported, but the Bahamas Press is reporting a major fire at Princess Cays overnight...I'm unable to link the article to this post however.  Hopefully it's not too bad and it is just "fake news".

Thanks Chris for reporting this.  Guess time will tell if they can repair the damage to the water system prior to your visit.  Fingers crossed!

1 minute ago, mcrcruiser said:

Seems that with 4 buildings destroyed & it appears nothing to do with those that support the pax ,  that  it shouldn't be too long before  this resort is back up & running  in todays modern world 

Um, I disagree - "the generator house, reverse osmosis water plant, mechanic shop and tool shed on property.  All four structures were totally destroyed."   I think these do support passengers.  Without power and water guests can't go on shore.  

Otherwise it will depend on how quickly the insurance assessment is made, before rebuilding can occur.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Seems that with 4 buildings destroyed & it appears nothing to do with those that support the pax ,  that  it shouldn't be too long before  this resort is back up & running  in todays modern world 

I would think the reverse osmosis plant would be important.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cruisintoddler said:

Um, I disagree - "the generator house, reverse osmosis water plant, mechanic shop and tool shed on property.  All four structures were totally destroyed."   I think these do support passengers.  Without power and water guests can't go on shore.  

Otherwise it will depend on how quickly the insurance assessment is made, before rebuilding can occur.  

Whatever they must do they do  .No one here is a expert .  Surely the size of Carnival corp  ,insurance people are there already assessing the damage for rebuilding . These are all man made things & my guess a month from now they be up & running if the corporate people decide it is important enough  for the generation of sales & profits 

• Like 1