Vista (01/13/19 Sailing) Review: The good, the bad and the 'drunk' room steward?!

NovCruisin

In customer service there is a saying.  A disgruntled customer will tell 50 people, but a happy person will just come back and bring a friend. 

In Cruise Critic, a disgruntled guest, gets slammed for stating facts. 

Regardless of how the poster presented the post, an employee stole an item, in the room.  Regardless of value, the theft is a theft. Carnival could have done a better job at handling the customer.  Yes, it could happen on any line, but the way it was handled is a reflection on Carnival. 

• Like 1

With all due respect, I would have looked at you funny if I was a Carnival employee and you gave me that story.

That being said, yes, they should have offered to either replace your bottle of wine or give you two free glasses (which they ended up doing).

I think going and looking at the cameras is a bit excessive.

Where was the bottle of wine left?  Was it locked in your cabin?  Out on your balcony?

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

....but how would that attribute the drunk room steward comment???

My point was there would be no reason for the room steward to take a swig of their wine when they could get a lot more, more easily, without putting their job in jeopardy 

6 minutes ago, hotsauce126 said:

My point was there would be no reason for the room steward to take a swig of their wine when they could get a lot more, more easily, without putting their job in jeopardy 

Was poster drinking before he/wife boarded and forgot they drank some wine?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, serene56 said:

You could have unfairly pointed fingers are the cabin steward.   There are people that go around checking to make sure the cabins are empty during the muster drill   

Oh, come on, so they are checking cabins, looks inside and says, "look, a bottle of wine, think I'll take a swig" I have a hard time with that scenario. 

2 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

In customer service there is a saying.  A disgruntled customer will tell 50 people, but a happy person will just come back and bring a friend. 

Regardless of how the poster presented the post, an employee stole an item, in the room.  Regardless of value, the theft is a theft. Carnival could have done a better job at handling the customer.  Yes, it could happen on any line, but the way it was handled is a reflection on Carnival. 

A person stated their side of the story.  Carnival isn't on here telling theirs.  The rest of us have no idea what happened.  Maybe an ounce of wine was stolen.  Maybe it spilled.  Maybe it was marked wrong.  You unequivocally declaring there a theft doesn't make it so.

Go read responses from restaurant owners on Tripadvisor or Yelp sometime to disgruntled customers.  There's always more to the story.  Should Carnival have just comped a bottle of wine immediately?  Maybe, but the notion that a full investigation should take place over an ounce of wine is absurd.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2019 at 4:42 PM, NovCruisin said:

I completely understand this argument and would agree there is no way for Carnival to truly know if whomever entered my cabin did it. However, that being said, I was disappointed with the way it was handled in that they did not even ATTEMPT to try and investigate. We gave them the date and time (narrowed to less than a 45 min window while we were at the muster drill). We in fact know someone was in our room since our complimentary water bottles were delivered while we were at muster also. So again, while the act is unpalatable in and of itself, it was Carnivals lack of due diligence upon complaint that was the most disappointing.

Now we know this is bunk, Carnival policy also ensures the comp water is in the cabin during clean up for oncoming guests.

On 2/1/2019 at 7:36 AM, NovCruisin said:

To everyone who has a flare for the dramatic - it didn't RUIN my vacation 🤦‍♀️ no where did I say I didn't have an ounce of enjoyment because of it. It most certainly put a hamper on an aspect of it though. Not only did that delicious bottle of wine go to waste for me, which is sad in and of itself, but I got to spend my vacation time at guest services, standing in line, speaking with multiple reps at the desk and in my room...doesn't exactly scream relaxation. Further, having been told the only persons that would have access to my room were my room stewards, I got to spend the next 6 days paranoid about something else being stolen or my room steward enacting petty justice for me reporting the issue (like scrubbing my toilet with my toothbrush or something). I had to lock EVERYTHING up, every day. Not exactly my idea of fun. Did it ruin my entire vacation, obviously not (see "the good" portion of my review) but it was an unnecessary hindrance.   

With regards to why I marked it; I would say for the same reason I have security cameras outside my house and why I cover my PIN at the ATM or lock my wallet in the safe in my cabin. We all would like a rainbow world where people do right by each other, but the truth is you can't always expect the best behavior from everyone. A millisecond of my time, by marking my wine bottle, ensured that I wasn't spending my next glass of wine drinking someone else's backwash. For some people, ignorance is bliss...but that's not the case for me.

I appreciate everyone who could see the pros and cons and didn't immediately read it through rose colored glasses as though my mission in life was to "bash" Carnival. I really tried to make the best of the situation and not let it mess with my cruise too much. At the same time, I thought surely the people of Cruise Critic may be interested in a review....critiquing....a cruise....I guess not 😏

I can see that.  If you think trust has been breached, you do lose faith.  So sorry this happened.  I have had less than enjoyable experiences on cruises.  So I can identify.  Time does help. 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coevan said:

Oh, come on, so they are checking cabins, looks inside and says, "look, a bottle of wine, think I'll take a swig" I have a hard time with that scenario. 

Lol.    The op pointed fingers ar the cabin steward.   Spent a lot of times in the line wanting to know what was being done about the situation.    How do you say it was the steward with out any proof.   I can’t see any one risking their job for a mouthful of wine 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bigcraig said:

Now we know this is bunk, Carnival policy also ensures the comp water is in the cabin during clean up for oncoming guests.

The only water I have seen upon entering my cabin on embark day was the expensive 1.5 liter bottles for sale. We have always received our comlimentary water after muster drill.

19 hours ago, hotsauce126 said:

I agree

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bigcraig said:

Not necessarily, we have received those comp bottles of water at different times . In the evenings after turndown , even the next morning.  Sometimes not at all and had to request them    

18 hours ago, coevan said:

I think its an acquired taste that separates one bottle of wine from the next. Sometimes the resistance is futile and a person becomes weak with passion for that particular taste. :classic_wacko: :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BoDidly said:

Not necessarily, we have received those comp bottles of water at different times . In the evenings after turndown , even the next morning.  Sometimes not at all and had to request them    

My last three cruises they’ve come later in the evening. As late as fun times time.

Edited by Saint Greg

On February 6, 2019 at 9:51 AM, Joseph2017China said:

Tell me about the drunk room steward "fact" please.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Checking in on here. We  too were on this sailing.  We were booked into the Havana Section, and I agree about the service back there. The bartender (s) were just something short of rude, IMO. We did bond with a server, I cannot remember her name, but she was lovely d took good care of us.  I never notice the pool/hot tub area dirty, and I spent quite a bit of time in the hot tub.

This was or first time on the CARNIVAL VISTA. iT did not impress upon first boarding, but I grew to adult to the differences from the other ships in the Carnival fleet.  We found the public area much too small to accommodate the number of passengers.  Personally, I did not crd for the "multipurpose" design of the venues like the showroom, the Limelight, etc.  Too small.  We tried to go to one ow and the only sets were obstructed views.  The Past guest party held there was awkward as well.  I also did not care for the design of the Lobby Bar. I miss the glass elevators and people watching. Those video collumns made me itch. We did however meet and chat with some great people hanging out there on the occasions we did venture down there. Loved the Alchemy Bar.  

As for food:  We took most of our dinners in the Steakhouse, and also did the Chef's Table. We did JiJi one night and liked it.  Lunches we did in the sushi restaurant.  The sea day brunch was disappointing, both in menu, food quality, presentation as well as service.  Personally, I found the decor of the dining room tacky.  I am one of those who miss the tablecloths. I know some people think it is great and make no difference.  But to me, it does. And the American Table menu sits better when served more graciously (we found this out on or summer cruise onboard the CARNIVAL LEGEND where the have the American Table, but still set the dining room with tablecloths and service plates.  We so enjoyed the dining experience on that cruise.  Now, in fairness to the new relaxed sans tablecloth style, we did go to the MDR the last night, and REALLY ENJOYED IT.  The food was good. Very good. Plenty of things  to elect rom that sparked my tastebuds.  There must be some notation of my preferences in my profile, because the Maitre'd  came to the table to welcome us and presented us with a complimentary bottle of wine for trying the MDR.  I will no longer be such a snob about the American Tele/no tablecloth issue in the future.  I do however, really enjoy the Steakhouse on the ships. By going on multiple nights, you do not have to fret about what to get, as I know I will be able to try most everything during the voyage.

Another thing I did not care for about the CARNIVAL VISTA was the lack of closet space in the staterooms. We had only one (1) closet as opposed to the three (3) on most ships. People I chatted with also noted this problem in a variety of the staterooms/suites.  

I have rambled. I hope readers can appreciate my experience.  Bottom line, I validate the comments of the OP.

Cheers All!

• Thanks 1