Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
johnatsis

Chairs removed to make more room?

Recommended Posts

I wish companies like Princess would not cut down the quality (depth and breadth of product), and increase prices appropriately, instead of trying to keep prices as low as possible and make up for that with less of everything we have been used to. 

 

But let's also think of the things they are improving - like Internet - even if about 5 - 10 years behind the eight-ball.

 

Still the staff are excellent and the ships kept up from our experience. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

 

 

Just a guess here but is anyone aware if there has ever been a slip and sue case with Princess with either the table and the chair moved and an occupant trips on them and initiates a legal case where Princess sees fit to remove them from the cabins as a hazard.

 

 

If that is the reason, we had better hope nobody trips on the bed frame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, louden said:

I have been following this thread for the last few days and now seems the time to express my opinions about what I consider to be the decline in the Princess "product".  Some may agree and I'm sure many will take issue but these are my thoughts.

Let me begin by saying we have been Loyal and Proud members of the Captain’s Circle for about 12 years.  Our first cruise was aboard the Caribbean Princess on a seven day Caribbean cruise.  We were impressed with the size of the ship, the wonderful selection of entertainment in numerous venues, great food and our wonderful balcony cabin.  However, what impressed us most was the friendliness and competency of the crew.  This one aspect of the Princess product is what has kept us coming back for 37 cruises since that time.  Our cruises have ranged from 2 to 32 day voyages in the Caribbean, the Mediterranean, trans-atlantics, Panamas and Tahiti.

 

Since our first cruise we have witnessed a decrease in the appeal of the product.  Following is a series of events which we believe have lessened the enjoyment of the Princess product to the point where we are considering taking alternative forms of vacation:

  •      The introduction of the Royal Princess.  Following great fanfare this ship was a huge dis-appointment.  Let me state the shortcomings that come to mind:

·        The largest number of useless balconies at sea.

·        The loss of the walk around promenade.

·        The loss of the aft pool

·        Both main pools adjacent

·        Useless water feature

·        Main theater without side isles.

·        No center staircase

·        Princess Live.

·        Vista lounge seating.

·        Loss of Wheelhouse lounge.

·        Loss of Skywalkers.

·        Did I mention the largest number of useless balconies at sea.

·        Continuing to introduce more of this class of ship

Note:  It is obvious that Princess noted some of these deficiencies since they attempted to correct some with the launch of subsequent ships of this class.

 

2.      Next came the butchering of the Island Princess

3.      The balcony furniture on the fleet was progressively replaced with less comfortable furniture.

4.      Balcony furniture went from 4 chairs to two without ottomans.  The large table was replaced with a small one barely large enough to hold two drinks.

5.      The Platinum/Elite lounge drink selection was changed to very unappealing choices.

6.      Increased drink prices and the loss of the Silver level wine card.

7.      A decrease in the quality and sophistication of the menu items in the dining rooms.

8.      Now the latest, the removal of the tub chair and table from the cabins.  Where am I to sit while my SO does her hair and makeup?  Dumb and dumber!

9.      Inconsistency of policy and practices between ships.

 

Enough complaining.  We have enjoyed our 37 Princess cruises and in fact have five more booked in the next 18 months.  As I stated at the outset what keeps us returning, avoiding the Royal class where possible, are the crew members.  From the bridge to the engine room they are outstanding.  However, changes to our travel plans are on the horizon.

If Princess wants to open things up/create more space, they should refit the balconies like the Celebrity Edge. I guess spending more money to create a better balcony cabin would go against enhancing the comfort/seating for their passengers. Got to get them out of their staterooms, to spend money on bingo, drinks, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, crawford said:

If Princess wants to open things up/create more space, they should refit the balconies like the Celebrity Edge. I guess spending more money to create a better balcony cabin would go against enhancing the comfort/seating for their passengers. Got to get them out of their staterooms, to spend money on bingo, drinks, etc.

 

 

Oh my goodness, NO! We do not want another class of ship we have to avoid because of the ‘virtual’ balconies 🙈. If we pay for a balcony, I want to be able to use it like a proper balcony. Have you not read the reviews - the first thing many pax want to do is upgrade to a suite on Edge to get an actual functioning balcony (CC hosts included).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, villauk said:

 

 

Oh my goodness, NO! We do not want another class of ship we have to avoid because of the ‘virtual’ balconies 🙈. If we pay for a balcony, I want to be able to use it like a proper balcony. Have you not read the reviews - the first thing many pax want to do is upgrade to a suite on Edge to get an actual functioning balcony (CC hosts included).

Guess I must have missed something. First of all, I personally don't need another class of ship either. Princess could easily outfit their existing ships with the modified balconies. Second, I don't see a downside of having a glass balcony, where you can remotely open/close the top, making it four season functional. Third, having a couch that slides out to make another bed doesn't seem like a terrible idea either (realizing that this might not be doable on existing ships, given their current configurations). Other than the small closet, where are the downsides? Educate me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, crawford said:

Princess could easily outfit their existing ships with the modified balconies.

I've never heard this suggestion before.  Can you answer some questions that immediately came to mind?

 

What would the new balconies look like (if this has been discussed elsewhere I didn't see that)?

How would this be accomplished? 

How long would it take to make the modifications on a Regal size ship (i.e., that the ship would be out of service)? 

How much would it cost per balcony/ship? 

Who do you expect to pay for the modification?

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, capriccio said:

I've never heard this suggestion before.  Can you answer some questions that immediately came to mind?

 

What would the new balconies look like (if this has been discussed elsewhere I didn't see that)?

How would this be accomplished? 

How long would it take to make the modifications on a Regal size ship (i.e., that the ship would be out of service)? 

How much would it cost per balcony/ship? 

Who do you expect to pay for the modification?

 

Thanks!

If you haven't seen a YouTube video of the Edge, have a look. As far as your questions are concerned, I am not an engineer (nor do I play one on TV). If Princess can redo the Island, add a water park on the Caribbean Princess, add balcony staterooms on older ships, I'm sure they have people bright enough to accomplish this task. It all boils down to the tradeoff between profits and enhancing the Princess experience for their passengers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, crawford said:

Guess I must have missed something. First of all, I personally don't need another class of ship either. Princess could easily outfit their existing ships with the modified balconies. Second, I don't see a downside of having a glass balcony, where you can remotely open/close the top, making it four season functional. Third, having a couch that slides out to make another bed doesn't seem like a terrible idea either (realizing that this might not be doable on existing ships, given their current configurations). Other than the small closet, where are the downsides? Educate me.

 

 

Love having the couch, that’s not the problem. The new IV cabins on Edge are a none starter. For one, it’s more like an oceanview with a drop-down window than a proper balcony. Once the window is open, it shuts off the air conditioning and pax are complaining about the heat and humidity in the cabin. Secondly, the captain has full control over whether the window is permanently closed e.g. if it’s windy or raining, you are unable to open the window at all. Furthermore, the area is far too small for the furniture, so pax are complaining that they cannot move the seating to actually fit in the area i.e. the chairs are not fully in the section where the flooring is different (and that’s exactly what it is: a long thin cabin with some differently flooring at one end and a window). There is also not enough room for a proper table, just a Tom Tom tray top. I could continue, but I think you get the drift.

 

And apparently, you can’t just fit these IV cabins to current ships - the whole structure has to be a certain type from conception (hence the current X Revolution of the M and S class ships not having the new type of balconies - thank goodness :classic_smile:).

 

Oh, and have you seen the pricing :classic_ohmy::classic_ohmy:!

Edited by villauk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, crawford said:

It all boils down to the tradeoff between profits and enhancing the Princess experience for their passengers.

 

Unfortunately, I don't think any business decision is that clear cut.  Businesses answer to their shareholders (I am not one BTW) and obviously weigh the gains to their bottom line when 'enhancing' the cruising experience versus both the cost and the perceived appeal of any enhancement to current and new passengers.  If they aren't filling ships - which currently doesn't seem to be a problem - then they have the impetus to determine why and what needs to be changed or added to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

 

You have written what should be sent to PCL in an email. I believe your tone to be perfect. 

Rather than confining your well written message to those of us who are almost powerless to change anything, please consider sending to Ms. Swartz and to their customer relations address. 

 

We have written to corporate to get a clarification if this is a new Princess policy or not?

 

Missed a phone call from them on Friday but will be ready on Monday for a call....after cruising with Princess for a long time, we are definitely moving to a new cruise line and cancelling 2019/2020 cruises booked with them if they have removed furniture from balcony cabins and are not willing to replace it.  

 

It is not an enhanced or safer travel experience to our way of thinking and we are happy to go with an equivalent cruise line that allows you to sit comfortably in your stateroom if you choose to do so!!

Edited by PrincessLuver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

 

We have written to corporate to get a clarification if this is a new Princess policy or not.  

 

Missed a phone call from them on Friday but will be ready on Monday....after cruising with Princess for a long time, we are definitely moving to a new cruise line and cancelling 2019/2020 cruises booked with them if they have removed furniture from balcony cabins and not replace it.  It is not an enhanced travel experience to our way of thinking!!

Wow, just plain wow. After reading this thread I am amazed at how little it takes to send people into a rant about something like removing the chair and table which for us was just a place to put stuff. I will even admit that on our last cruise on the Regal neither of us sat on the loveseat. Well to each his own. Have fun on whatever line you folks choose. We wander on occasion, but somehow we always come back to Princess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading several threads, I'm glad I started cruising years ago because if I was basing my choices on things written here, I might stay home!:classic_ohmy:

 

Quite a few very negative posts, over what seems to me small or not too important issues.  However, apparently important to some.  Now I'm reading not to complain about the complainers.  If they are entitled to their opinion, I can state my case as to why I wouldn't  complain.

 

I've been cruising since 1982, yes, it has a changed a great deal, I enjoy it.  I sail as a single, pay a great deal for my cruises, would never get on a ship for less than 14 days.  I take a big picture view, I'm on a ship with thousands of people, it might not be all about me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

 

I recall this last occurring around 2004, then the marzipan was substituted by a cookie, and then the cookies disappeared around 3 years ago, and then the welcome back card disappeared about a year or two ago, and I haven’t gotten a welcome back stamp for sometime, either.  I just threw them away anyway.  

 

I have a good memory but you have a better memory! I didn't understand the passport stamp book when it arrived and threw it out so I never bothered with the stamps. So I threw them out also. I miss the marzipan! I now remember the cookie replaced it. Marzipan was available through out the ship (at dinner with the assortment of cookies, etc...).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, villauk said:

 

 

Love having the couch, that’s not the problem. The new IV cabins on Edge are a none starter. For one, it’s more like an oceanview with a drop-down window than a proper balcony. Once the window is open, it shuts off the air conditioning and pax are complaining about the heat and humidity in the cabin. Secondly, the captain has full control over whether the window is permanently closed e.g. if it’s windy or raining, you are unable to open the window at all. Furthermore, the area is far too small for the furniture, so pax are complaining that they cannot move the seating to actually fit in the area i.e. the chairs are not fully in the section where the flooring is different (and that’s exactly what it is: a long thin cabin with some differently flooring at one end and a window). There is also not enough room for a proper table, just a Tom Tom tray top. I could continue, but I think you get the drift.

 

And apparently, you can’t just fit these IV cabins to current ships - the whole structure has to be a certain type from conception (hence the current X Revolution of the M and S class ships not having the new type of balconies - thank goodness :classic_smile:).

 

Oh, and have you seen the pricing :classic_ohmy::classic_ohmy:!

Thanks for the insight. Conceptually it sounded like a good idea. Since Princess' balconies are half glass to begin with, I didn't see a difference. I'm surprised that the inset set of doors leading to the balcony don't control the air; bummer. Weird you cannot put a balcony chair out on the balcony, without being able to close the sliding doors. And I thought the Regal and Royal had small balconies. Haven't priced them out. New ships command a higher dollar and I am always looking for the best value for my vacation money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, capriccio said:

 

Unfortunately, I don't think any business decision is that clear cut.  Businesses answer to their shareholders (I am not one BTW) and obviously weigh the gains to their bottom line when 'enhancing' the cruising experience versus both the cost and the perceived appeal of any enhancement to current and new passengers.  If they aren't filling ships - which currently doesn't seem to be a problem - then they have the impetus to determine why and what needs to be changed or added to do so.

Very true. Bet they would like a redo on the glass bottomed walkways (IMHO!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Doug R. said:

Wow, just plain wow. After reading this thread I am amazed at how little it takes to send people into a rant about something like removing the chair and table which for us was just a place to put stuff. I will even admit that on our last cruise on the Regal neither of us sat on the loveseat. Well to each his own. Have fun on whatever line you folks choose. We wander on occasion, but somehow we always come back to Princess.

 

Not really a rant but concern because Princess is posting photos and cabin descriptions of what you get but that is apparently no longer true?  Removing furniture that we used from staterooms and not being forthcoming in their advertising is classic bait and switch.   Maybe people do not mind being lied to by a corporation but we do!

 

I do understand the other cruisers who are not happy about this new change.  When you are 30 plus days on cruises then we need and prefer some cabin time and I am not going to spend the whole time in the cabin laying on a bed.

 

We are booked on several long cruises plus part of a world cruise and supposedly have a cabin with a couch which also is apparently not true anymore on the Pacific Princess.  

 

We have cruised Princess for a long time and always found them to be very accommodating and customer centered.  I get the sense this may be changing and if they do not want to do business in a honest way then I am sure Oceania, Holland, Cunard, etc. and many other cruise lines are very happy to receive our money and we will get the type of cabin comfort we desire.

 

IMHO it would be much better if Princess were forthcoming and  just let everyone know what is going on instead of having it ooze out on CC!!

 

These are our issues and we are contacting them to get clarity and understanding and are not complaining to be just complaining which is my understanding of what a rant is?

Edited by PrincessLuver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Doug R. said:

 I will even admit that on our last cruise on the Regal neither of us sat on the loveseat. 

Well to each his own.

 

When one doesn't do a particular thing but finds it necessary to rag on people who find that particular thing important, I have to wonder about the spirit in which the comment is offered. Seems pretty darn high minded. Offering a condescending "to each his own" is a nice touch, too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Photos, floor plan diagrams, and amenities represent typical arrangements and may vary by ship and stateroom. Certain staterooms may vary in size, decor and configuration.

 

but, yeah ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

 

Not really a rant but concern because Princess is posting photos and cabin descriptions of what you get but that is apparently no longer true?  Removing furniture that we used from staterooms and not being forthcoming in their advertising is classic bait and switch.   Maybe people do not mind being lied to by a corporation but we do!

 

I do understand the other cruisers who are not happy about this new change.  When you are 30 plus days on cruises then we need and prefer some cabin time and I am not going to spend the whole time in the cabin laying on a bed.

 

We are booked on several long cruises plus part of a world cruise and supposedly have a cabin with a couch which also is apparently not true anymore on the Pacific Princess.  

 

We have cruised Princess for a long time and always found them to be very accommodating and customer centered.  I get the sense this may be changing and if they do not want to do business in a honest way then I am sure Oceania, Holland, Cunard, etc. and many other cruise lines are very happy to receive our money and we will get the type of cabin comfort we desire.

 

IMHO it would be much better if Princess were forthcoming and  just let everyone know what is going on instead of having it ooze out on CC!!

 

These are our issues and we are contacting them to get clarity and understanding and are not complaining to be just complaining which is my understanding of what a rant is?

Good for you!  👍👍 For being pro active about your concerns with Princess.

Please let everyone here know what response you receive from Princess.  And if you were able to effect change.  Looking forward to responses from others here who send their concerns to Princess.

Wishing you and others who write Princess, the best of luck.

I, for one, use the power of my dollars, to cruise more on Celebrity and Oceania. :classic_smile: 👍

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

If Princess wants to open things up/create more space, they should refit the balconies like the Celebrity Edge. I guess spending more money to create a better balcony cabin would go against enhancing the comfort/seating for their passengers. Got to get them out of their staterooms, to spend money on bingo, drinks, etc.

Maybe Princess is creating a new category to increase revenue. Cabins WITH CHAIRS  or CABINS WITH OUT.We always use the little table and chair to eat our breakfast in the cabin. May have to use balcony furniture less they will also omit that. Another category: STANDING ROOM ONLY  or WITH AMENITIES.  I am not a happy camper.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kjg46 said:

Maybe Princess is creating a new category to increase revenue. Cabins WITH CHAIRS  or CABINS WITH OUT.We always use the little table and chair to eat our breakfast in the cabin. May have to use balcony furniture less they will also omit that. Another category: STANDING ROOM ONLY  or WITH AMENITIES.  I am not a happy camper.

 

 

So, if you are not a happy camper with Princess, what are you going to do about it?  Write corporate and voice your displeasure ?   Or?

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

 

When one doesn't do a particular thing but finds it necessary to rag on people who find that particular thing important, I have to wonder about the spirit in which the comment is offered. Seems pretty darn high minded. Offering a condescending "to each his own" is a nice touch, too. 

 

Well said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So where is room service going to be set down now without the little glass-topped table?  On the bed?  The desk is full of other things like cell phones, computer, camera charging, make-up, etc. and isn't very wide anyway even if you cleared everything off of the desk.  The room service tray would easily topple over.

And when you're eating in your room, where is the other person supposed to sit?  On the bed holding a plate?  Ridiculous IMO.

Princess, bring back the barrel chair and the glass table!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ep010835 said:

 

When one doesn't do a particular thing but finds it necessary to rag on people who find that particular thing important, I have to wonder about the spirit in which the comment is offered. Seems pretty darn high minded. Offering a condescending "to each his own" is a nice touch, too. 

Just what might that particular thing be? Have a great day and I sincerely apologize for stating my views on what I mistakenly thought was a board for just such things. Next time rebut rather than attack. I stand by my previous view on how minor in the scheme of things removing a chair seems to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

 

You have written what should be sent to PCL in an email. I believe your tone to be perfect. 

Rather than confining your well written message to those of us who are almost powerless to change anything, please consider sending to Ms. Swartz and to their customer relations address. 

 

Agree.  Everyone concerned with the negative changes should write Princess.  Be pro active.  👍👍

So, are you going to do the same?   Are you going to write Princess expressing your concerns and dissatisfaction with the new changes?  What will you do to effect change? 🤔

Please let everyone here know the reply you receive from Princess, and if you were able to effect positive change.

If no changes are made to your liking,  maybe it’s time to sail on other cruise lines?   Voice your displeasure with Princess with your pocketbook?  👍👍

Wishing you the best of luck.

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...