Loyalty Perks Just Got Better

ottahand7

Did I miss this thread?  Just came in email during dinner.  

We listened to your feedback and are thrilled to extend a special limited-time offer for you to enjoy loyalty benefits when sailing on two of our sister brands: Cunard and Seabourn. 

Book any 2019 Cunard or Seabourn sailings by April 22 and enjoy loyalty benefits as a Seabourn Silver member and Cunard Platinum member.

• Like 1

Cunard platinum get priority boarding (after Grills and Diamonds) and 6 hours of internet. Also an invitation to an extra cocktail party. There may be more perks, but I don't remember. And I can't look it up because Cunard has messed with their website--it makes HAL's look golden!

29 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Didn't receive such an e-mail.  Seabourn and Cunard bookings need to be "juiced"? 

Maybe Carnival is realizing that HAL's downmarket trajectory is costing them customers and they want to encourage people leaving HAL to stay within the Carnival Corp "family."

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Maybe Carnival is realizing that HAL's downmarket trajectory is costing them customers and they want to encourage people leaving HAL to stay within the Carnival Corp "family."

Are there any hard facts/statistics to back up this statement?  I sail with HA three times a year, and every sailing I've been on, the ships have sold out.  Granted this is only one passenger's experience, and others probably sail a lot more than I do.  According to my TA, HA bookings are way up at her big-box agency.  True, this is only one agent out of thousands. 

Just wondering if the statement is opinion or fact with downturn data attached. 

2 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Are there any hard facts/statistics to back up this statement?  I sail with HA three times a year, and every sailing I've been on, the ships have sold out.  Granted this is only one passenger's experience, and others probably sail a lot more than I do.  According to my TA, HA bookings are way up at her big-box agency.  True, this is only one agent out of thousands. 

It’s an opinion I think that some of us have.

I can name a lot of CC members who used to sail HAL and have moved to Seabourn, Crystal, Azamara, Oceania & Silversea for example.

they still pop in here now and then but they don’t sail HAL any longer or very rarely.

I think a number will be looking around with a certain ship leaving the fleet.  There were a number of 4 and 5* Mariners that only sailed that ship. I was amazed when I heard the actual numbers - all stars only achieved on one ship.   So, they will definitely be looking I’m pretty sure.

2 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

We're in our mid 60s and I know we've sailed with HAL over 120 days in the past 6 years and have moved over to Celebrity and Princess because HAL's variety of fun entertainment, especially on sea days, and the quality of their evening shows in the main theater have continued to slide over the past few years.

However, when they redesigned the Maasdam to provide some pretty cool EXC in-depth cruises, we decided to give them another try. However, for us if we are not wowed on our upcoming 40 day cruise, chances are slim we'll ever book another HAL cruise unless they offer a unique cruise that none of other our more favored cruise lines have to offer. But, who knows what the future may bring. 

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

It’s an opinion I think that some of us have.

I can name a lot of CC members who used to sail HAL and have moved to Seabourn, Crystal, Azamara, Oceania & Silversea for example.

they still pop in here now and then but they don’t sail HAL any longer or very rarely.

I think a number will be looking around with a certain ship leaving the fleet.  There were a number of 4 and 5* Mariners that only sailed that ship. I was amazed when I heard the actual numbers - all stars only achieved on one ship.   So, they will definitely be looking I’m pretty sure.

Yes, I understand.  Has HA reached out to these loyal passengers who haven't sailed with them for a while?  Have these passengers written to Seattle to make their preferences known?  I understand that ships age and must be sold or retired, but if a corporation doesn't respond to customer demands, their bottom line may suffer.  I believe HA may be depending upon the "younger crowd" like my 32 year-old-son, who enjoys the newer ships in the HA fleet but isn't enamored of the smaller "older sisters".  He prefers HA over all the other lines, since he doesn't enjoy the theme park atmosphere so prevalent on many other lines.  I wonder how many younger cruisers feel this way.  HA is banking its future, I suppose, on this particular demographic.

1 hour ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Yes, I understand.  Has HA reached out to these loyal passengers who haven't sailed with them for a while?  Have these passengers written to Seattle to make their preferences known?  I understand that ships age and must be sold or retired, but if a corporation doesn't respond to customer demands, their bottom line may suffer.  I believe HA may be depending upon the "younger crowd" like my 32 year-old-son, who enjoys the newer ships in the HA fleet but isn't enamored of the smaller "older sisters".  He prefers HA over all the other lines, since he doesn't enjoy the theme park atmosphere so prevalent on many other lines.  I wonder how many younger cruisers feel this way.  HA is banking its future, I suppose, on this particular demographic.

I fit into this category as well. I am nearly 30 (will be on the Oosterdam in a couple weeks to celebrate it!) and gave HAL a try after many cruises on NCL, RCI and Carnival because I have determined I prefer a low-key, relaxing style vacation to the constant in your face stimuli that other lines are now pushing. I thought maybe I was a minority but there may be more younger people who feel the same way I do out there than I realized.

For example, I did Allure of the Seas a few years back. Beautiful ship, well designed but way too flashy and too crowded. Why pay more for ship amenities (rock climbing, ice skating, flowriding, etc) that I never use? I'd rather spend the money on a more 'premium' cruise or splurge on a balcony than do that again. That's not to say I'll never cruise with anyone else again, I've just noticed my cruising tastes are changing.

Edited by tntornadox

6 hours ago, RuthC said:

A girl could get interested.

Ruth, I'm doing the Voyage of the Midnight Sun for the first time this May.  I think you posted a post-voyage summary for one?? of your voyages.  Where would I find it?  Also, is it very cool up in Honningsvag?  Any other tips?

Thanks, Sue

Royal Caribbean has been doing this across their brands for years and I love it.  It convinced me to step up to Celebrity.  Maybe now, HAL cruisers will take that same step up to experience the things they used to love about HAL.  

8 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

Ruth, I'm doing the Voyage of the Midnight Sun for the first time this May.  I think you posted a post-voyage summary for one?? of your voyages.  Where would I find it?  Also, is it very cool up in Honningsvag?  Any other tips?

Thanks, Sue

As we will be taking the same cruise in June, I just happen to have temperatures at my finger tips. For May, the average high is 7° C and the low 3°C. Enjoy!

8 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

Thanks, Sue

I'm not sure which itinerary that route is, so I have no idea how to find any report I may have done on it.
However, I have been to Norway more times than I can count, including several times to Honningsvag, so perhaps I can help there (sorry to derail the thread, OP).

Yes, it is 'cool' in Honningsvag---in more than one sense of the word! The temperature can be pleasantly warm, chilled, or absolutely frigid with the strong wind. Be prepared for anything. In another sense, there is (or at least was; I don't know if it's still there) a really 'cool' ice bar that I thought was a lot of fun. The sail by North Cape is also pretty 'cool'.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

We listened to your feedback and are thrilled to extend a special limited-time offer for you to enjoy loyalty benefits when sailing on two of our sister brands: Cunard and Seabourn. 

Book any 2019 Cunard or Seabourn sailings by April 22 and enjoy loyalty benefits as a Seabourn Silver member and Cunard Platinum member.

How does this work?  When you book a Cunard/Seabourn cruise, do you provide your HAL Mariner number?

18 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

I get Silver as that is what 3 Star translates to.  I am sure for 5 Star there will be some significant benefits like free internet and a lot of minutes of phone plus laundry.  Drink breaks not so hot.  

As  I remember, correct me if I am wrong  but on Seabourn ALL liquor, gratuities, spec. restraunts  internet, are included in the fare? 

Thats why its called an all inclusive.   Regent too.       So you could say on Regent how much is a drink on Regent...  Answer: $4850.   ( the price of the cruise)    Or   what is your bar bill after 200 Hendricks  martinis...  0

15 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We're in our mid 60s and I know we've sailed with HAL over 120 days in the past 6 years and have moved over to Celebrity and Princess because HAL's variety of fun entertainment, especially on sea days, and the quality of their evening shows in the main theater have continued to slide over the past few years.

However, when they redesigned the Maasdam to provide some pretty cool EXC in-depth cruises, we decided to give them another try. However, for us if we are not wowed on our upcoming 40 day cruise, chances are slim we'll ever book another HAL cruise unless they offer a unique cruise that none of other our more favored cruise lines have to offer. But, who knows what the future may bring. 

I am in the same boat, er ship.    I am on a segment of a 43 day on the Massdam, because of its itinerary stepping down from Oceania and Regent, because of the ports.    I do not expect  to be wowed nor will I judge the experience by prior ones.   Thats to me , foolish and not fair.    I expect I  will have a great time because I want to.       I will say HAL's  way of doing business is to me pretty bad... Like if  there is a cruise fare reduction, To get it, you need to cancel  your current reservation, forfeit your deposit, make another deposit for the new fare.     Thats a first... like a used  car dealer.     Suppose they reduce the fare 3 more times ??? thats 3 more deposits gone !      

18 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

To quote a fable " come into my parlor , said the Spyder to the Fly"       YES  we will give you special loyalites.... just pony up $300 to$ 900 a day to enjoy them......  We would love to have your ( dollars) company.     I God we trust....all others pay cash.