Magnetic hooks

Barwick Cruiser

I've searched through the threads but can't find what I'm looking for.  I know many people recommend buying magnetic hooks to place on the cabin walls to hold hats, coats etc but on Amazon there are soooo many kinds and some of the comments are that they end up sliding down the wall even if the total weight hasn't been reached.  Is there a specific hook that works well on cabin walls?  Can anyone post a link to the ones that they've bought and can recommend will work?  Thanks so much!!

11 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

I've searched through the threads but can't find what I'm looking for.  I know many people recommend buying magnetic hooks to place on the cabin walls to hold hats, coats etc but on Amazon there are soooo many kinds and some of the comments are that they end up sliding down the wall even if the total weight hasn't been reached.  Is there a specific hook that works well on cabin walls?  Can anyone post a link to the ones that they've bought and can recommend will work?  Thanks so much!!

These are the ones I bought from Amazon. Work great. 

Netany 40 LB Heavy Duty Magnetic Hooks With Stickers, Strong Powerful Neodymium Indoor/Outdoor Magnet Hooks - 8 Pack & 16 Hooks

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

I've used these on multiple cruises, especially on S-class ships. We put two in the shower with a piece of twine as a clothes line to hang drying swimsuits and hand washables. They don't move!

https://www.amazon.com/Strong-40LB-Magnetic-Hooks-Refrigerator/dp/B01F866W7U/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=magnetic+hooks&qid=1553960177&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

They have a permanent home in my cruise luggage. I had gotten ones at Lowes, but returned them since these were much stronger and held more weight.

Edited by Luvcrusn

I got these at Amazon - 2 1/3" high...Work great on ship walls.

STRONGMAN MAGNETS | 6 PACK OF POWERFUL 44LB NEODYMIUM HEAVY DUTY MAGNETIC HOOKS | +3M NON SCRATCH STICKERS | MULTI USE INDOOR OUTDOOR HOOK MAGNETS! DECLUTTER AND ADD STORAGE NOW! (6 PACK)

I bought some of the heavy duty hooks mentioned above from Amazon and yes, they still slid down the wall even with nowhere near the stated weight limits.  HOWEVER, hooks like that rate their weight restrictions based on force pulling directly away from the magnet, not at an angle (as in down towards the ground when placed on a wall, because gravity). 

The solution - we attached the magnets to the ceiling, which solved everything.  They didn't budge and worked in exactly the same manner as if attached to the wall, sans any movement. 

• Like 2

We have 20 lb rated hooks from Home Depot or Lowes, Magnet Source is the brand.

As others have said, I don't think you can put them on the wall and have them hold 20 lbs. They did seem to hold 5-10 lbs easily.

We did the ceiling thing for the laundry for the same reason

1 hour ago, cangelmd said:

We have 20 lb rated hooks from Home Depot or Lowes, Magnet Source is the brand.

As others have said, I don't think you can put them on the wall and have them hold 20 lbs. They did seem to hold 5-10 lbs easily.

We did the ceiling thing for the laundry for the same reason

And our 20 lb hooks held heavier rain coats and jackets, just not a bag of "stuff". Wet laundry on a line need to be hung from the ceiling but a couple of wet bathing suits were fine.

I purchased Learning Resources magnets as they had hooks and clips type ones in amazing colors. Super strong as well.  A must for all my cruises!

here is the link on amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078LZ2BXV/?cv_ct_id=amzn1.idea.35JH7HPNVL3F0&cv_ct_pg=storefront&cv_ct_wn=aip-storefront&ref=exp_cov_cruisetipstv_lv_dp_vv_mat

Edited by Rina155
Adding link for magnets

Just to be sure, we got the 90 pound version of the Netany hooks mentioned above.  They worked great!  We could stretch an elastic clothes line from one side of the room to the other, and even with wet clothes hanging off the hooks, they never slid down the wall. At 4 for about $12 they are a great bargain.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZ2JZON/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tom & Judy

Whatever magnets you pick, you just have to make sure you pack them carefully so that they don't ever stick together directly face to face.  Once they are stuck together, they are very difficult to separate.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Been packing them for years - never a problem yet and we cruise a lot.

I’m telling this because in my past Eclipse Cruise security ask to see my bags, oh are the hooks it’s Ok you can go, upon return to home I packed in the documented bag it arrived to home without the TSA approved lock

Just now, gerelmx said:

I’m telling this because in my past Eclipse Cruise security ask to see my bags, oh are the hooks it’s Ok you can go, upon return to home I packed in the documented bag it arrived to home without the TSA approved lock

Anything is possible with security.  On our recent Reflection cruise they inspected our bags like our nephew was Osama Bin Laden or something.  Why?  We had a bottle of water I had been drinking in the carry-on.   They took it out, shook it, smelled it, and then they took out most of what was in the carry-on, and went through my purse in addition to my carry-on.  I was not a happy camper.  That was our first time with that issue.  I bring bottles of water on every single cruise and this is the first time in 50 cruises that happened.  You just never know.  Sometimes we get notes in our luggage that TSA went through it; other times with the same basic items we do not.  No predicting.  This happens on trips with or without our hooks inside.  

Thanks everyone for so many great suggestions and helpful tips.  Some of the ones recommended are not available on Amazon for shipping to Canada ( no idea why) but I did find some that should do the trick!  Will pack separated and put in our carryons as suggested to avoid issues with security boarding the ship.  The idea to use to hang a rope for wet clothes in the shower is good...didn't think the walls in the shower were metal!  Learn something new all the time!

Thanks all!!

I just ordered some from Amazon.

They were rated for 40 lbs.  However when I dived into the description, it stated this was from the ceiling.  Mounting on a vertical surface, such as a wall, there effectiveness would be decreased by about 1/3rd.

One application I saw was using them to "paperwork" on a wall.  Such as notes, shore excursion tickets.  Our desk has a tendency to get cluttered, so I can unscrew the hooks and just use the magnet portion for this purpose.

The other purpose I will use them is that our next cruise the ship doesn't have a clothesline in the bathroom.  I will put the magnets on the ceiling with hooks intact and hang our bathing suits for drying.  With a 40lb rated load we should be fine.

43 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I've used magnets on the walls for years.  My current concern is:  Are Ms. Hoppen's "new, improved" walls still metal?  Has anybody been on one of the ships she did over yet?

Could she have snuck onto Equinox already? We were in a Celebrity suite in February and I was disappointed that our magnets didn't stick to the walls!

46 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I've used magnets on the walls for years.  My current concern is:  Are Ms. Hoppen's "new, improved" walls still metal?  Has anybody been on one of the ships she did over yet?

I will be on the Millie April 11 and will come back and report. I sure hope my magnets still work .