Fair compensation thoughts needed

Currently on a longer cruise in a grand suite 2 bedroom (family suite). Whenever we have rolling (side to side) ships motion, there is loud banging noise in the ceiling near the entry to the second bedroom. Seas have been rough so noise is happening consistently ( it is much more than the typical ship creaking). We can not sleep in the second bedroom. Maintenance  has reviewed the situation and it cannot be repaired without extensive ceiling removal so they can not fix in a day or two. 

The ship is full. They found a distant inside room for sleeping and we got a bottle of wine. Not the relaxing suite experience that we paid for.

Any thoughts on a more appropriate or fair compensation that we could ask for?

I would prefer not to discuss the specific ship or other details unless necessary. Thanks. 

Edited by paul1268
Added clarification.

I’ve encountered loud noises of varying nature before (mystery noises, public venues, music, neighbors, loose equipment, etc),  some lasting the entire cruise, but it honesty never occurred to me that I should be compensated for that.

The worse one was on the Empress of the Seas. There was some sort of metal door above us that clanged loudly every time the ship moved side to side. It was mind numbing after a few days. We called guest services a few times and they were dumbfounded as well. They couldn’t figure out where it was coming from. I made a few rounds myself on decks above and below our stateroom to see if I could locate the culprit but was never able to locate it either. Long story short, our “compensation” were some ear plugs and a verbal apology.

After that, I’ve just learned to bring ear plugs with me on every cruise and hotel stay as well. It’s better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them. There’s not enough compensation that can provide a restful sleep if noise is keeping me awake. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 6

Ships make noise when they move especially when seas are rougher.  We've had banging, hangars moving, drawers opening.  It's part of being on a ship.  Either take the other room for sleeping, or don't.  How many of you are in the room?  If it's that loud, I would say you'd be able to hear it all over the cabin.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, paul1268 said:

Currently on a longer cruise in a grand suite 2 bedroom (family suite). Whenever we have rolling (side to side) ships motion, there is loud banging noise in the ceiling near the entry to the second bedroom. Seas have been rough so noise is happening consistently ( it is much more than the typical ship creaking). We can not sleep in the second bedroom. Maintenance  has reviewed the situation and it cannot be repaired without extensive ceiling removal so they can not fix in a day or two. 

The ship is full. They found a distant inside room for sleeping and we got a bottle of wine. Not the relaxing suite experience that we paid for.

Any thoughts on a more appropriate or fair compensation that we could ask for?

I would prefer not to discuss the specific ship or other details unless necessary. Thanks. 

So you actually have 2 cabins ?

12 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I'd ask for a full refund and for them to cover your flight home from the next port.

Carnival will actually do this if requested in the first 24 hours of the cruise. 

OP - I hope it stops. Yes as others have said, on a ship there can be noises like drawers slamming etc., and I have always found a way to stop those, but this loud banging you describe, that you cannot get to, would also prevent me from sleeping and tick me off. Also for me, sleep is a highlight of vacation, since I do not get much at home.

Thanks for the quick replies. To clarify. It’s a 2 bedroom suite. Having been on 20 or so cruises, we know about typical creaking, coat hangers and noises in some rough seas. This is a not that and they have known about it for a while and admitted that it will need to be fixed in an extended downtime / taking the room out of service/ dry dock. We have been given a second inside room that’s a 10 minute walk. If that is what we wanted when we booked, we would have saved at least $5,000.00 over booking the 2br suite. 

4 minutes ago, paul1268 said:

Thanks for the quick replies. To clarify. It’s a 2 bedroom suite. Having been on 20 or so cruises, we know about typical creaking, coat hangers and noises in some rough seas. This is a not that and they have known about it for a while and admitted that it will need to be fixed in an extended downtime / taking the room out of service/ dry dock. We have been given a second inside room that’s a 10 minute walk. If that is what we wanted when we booked, we would have saved at least $5,000.00 over booking the 2br suite. 

Explorer is older ship. More noises

• Like 1

When I worked on Disney there was a bulkhead "somewhere" above my office I shared with Port Adventures. When we would be in rougher seas that sucker would make the LOUDEST metal-on-metal pop you ever heard. All of us would jump. But no one could figure out what or where it was and being a ship we all just had to live with it. It doesn't help you paid all that $$$ for the experience but it does show it happens on all kinds of ships, old and new, big and small. 

Even if the ship crew has known about it you can be sure shoreside reservations doesn't know. Unless they block the cabin for selling it will just be listed as another great suite. You can try asking Guest Services if there is more compensation (specialty dining, OBC) but I doubt you'll be able to get much more than they have already offered. Be happy you are not on a B2B, I guess.

I was told if you agree to a solution on the ship such as moving to another cabin, that it is.  Case closed.  Miami won't consider a complaint after the cruise since you came to a mutually agreeable solution on the ship.  

I accepted a small FCC for an onboard issue while I waited for my TA to deal with Miami on Monday.  That limited her options and ability to fight for me, or so she told me. 

They had offered me a downgrade from a JS but when I asked about paying for an aft view JS but being moved to a side balcony they told me if I accept it, that's it.  Done.  No more.  Case closed.

Be careful what you agree to on board.

Edited by twangster

1 hour ago, Tapi said:

I’ve encountered loud noises of varying nature before (mystery noises, public venues, music, neighbors, loose equipment, etc),  some lasting the entire cruise, but it honesty never occurred to me that I should be compensated for that.

The worse one was on the Empress of the Seas. There was some sort of metal door above us that clanged loudly every time the ship moved side to side. It was mind numbing after a few days. We called guest services a few times and they were dumbfounded as well. They couldn’t figure out where it was coming from. I made a few rounds myself on decks above and below our stateroom to see if I could locate the culprit but was never able to locate it either. Long story short, our “compensation” were some ear plugs and a verbal apology.

After that, I’ve just learned to bring ear plugs with me on every cruise and hotel stay as well. It’s better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them. There’s not enough compensation that can provide a restful sleep if noise is keeping me awake. 

Agree. Been cruising 30+ yrs and higher waves more likely hear things banging. Like near Anchors when at Port or below WindJammer when they move tables in early am, not much be done about it. Use to Cruise only during Peak Hurricane Season, on one Cruise was 4 names storms so ship was a rocking. Metal on metal banging, funny thing was in a 2Bd/2Ba all to myself when had same. Oh well, just don't get cabin again. Only do Aft anymore anyway...

Edited by ONECRUISER

This has happened to us in the past. Turned out to be people walking/running/stomping up the metal stairs on the pool deck. They insisted they had no other rooms available. We did not take no for an answer and demanded that corporate be involved. Somehow, magically, they came up with another balcony room for us and all was well. 

• Like 1

Just now, SakeDad said:

When I worked on Disney there was a bulkhead "somewhere" above my office I shared with Port Adventures. When we would be in rougher seas that sucker would make the LOUDEST metal-on-metal pop you ever heard. All of us would jump. But no one could figure out what or where it was and being a ship we all just had to live with it. It doesn't help you paid all that $$$ for the experience but it does show it happens on all kinds of ships, old and new, big and small. 

Even if the ship crew has known about it you can be sure shoreside reservations doesn't know. Unless they block the cabin for selling it will just be listed as another great suite. You can try asking Guest Services if there is more compensation (specialty dining, OBC) but I doubt you'll be able to get much more than they have already offered. Be happy you are not on a B2B, I guess.

Thanks. The is exactly the metal on metal noise although it is several in a row and random. The cabin wall vibrates. 

1 hour ago, paul1268 said:

Thanks. The is exactly the metal on metal noise although it is several in a row and random. The cabin wall vibrates. 

I get it….it's terrifying the first time you hear it and frightening/annoying the rest of the time. Yeah, there was never any rhyme or reason to the one on Disney. I did have an engineer tell me it was a bulkhead and they are made to move and twist with the ship but that didn't calm my nerves in the office. Not saying that is your case but I do get it.

Have you tried searching for your ship and cabin # both here and on Google to see if anyone else has posted about this same problem? 

There is a well-established concept in law called "Quiet Possession". The cruise line is well-aware of this.
A lessor (the cruise line) must provide the agreed accommodation to the lessee (the OP) free of noise, and unwanted interruption.
Given that they have not offered you comparable accommodation elsewhere on the ship, you are entitled to what you have termed compensation. In as much as they have offered (and you accepted) an interior room, they have clearly acknowledged that there is an issue. Compensation is the difference between the price of your booked cabin and the provided cabin, for the duration of the noise problem. Try to find out what the price of the interior cabin was for your cruise.
Get as much evidence of the problem, including recordings of the noise, times, dates, exact locations, conversations with the cruise line, etc. You are going to need them in the battle to come. The sooner you act upon this, pro-actively, the better. Put your demands on paper, keep a copy and hand it  to a senior person (get their name) at guest services, with a request for a response, asap.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, paul1268 said:

Not sure where this came from but I am not on the explorer. The ship I am on is just over 2 years old. 

Phew, that means it's not the 2 bedroom suite I'm in next month.

I think the question is really answered by what you think is fair.  There is no chart or list of compensation for various situations.  It will depend on when something happens, who you talk to, and many totally unknown factors.  If you try to compare what other people get, you probably do not know all of the facts for that situation.  Don't drive yourself crazy trying to get what others say you should get.