So called “Service Dogs” on board ships

kura

1 hour ago, Himself said:

I agree 100 per cent.  "Comfort dogs" are an excuse to bring the pet on a cruise.  There is such a thing as comfort dogs but this counds like the family pet and not the trained comfort dog.  Some people teat the dog like a family child.

So what people do is buy their little yippy dog a vest with a patch that read "SERVICE DOG - - ACCESS REQUIRED" like the one I saw over Christmas. I overheard the owner discussing her thoughts on which of her other two dogs she was bringing on the next cruise - which is another sign that something is afoot.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Dog fur doesn’t stay put and a problematic dog’s noise is going to be heard through the walls.  Cruise ships aren’t like hotels where you can easily move to another room or even to another hotel.  I tend to take very long cruises and the thought of hearing a whining dog for 30 days makes me shudder

Service dogs do not whine. In fact they won't even speak unless given a command and that is usually used in an emergency. Also you are not allowed to leave your service dog alone in the cabin unattended. 

• Like 1

"How would a dog confined to a neighboring cabin affect allergies . . .  in a totally different cabin?"

The neighboring cabin might not be affected at all, but the cabin housing the pet can be an allergy nightmare for the next passenger in that cabin.  Hair and, worse yet, dander remain.  For example, my nephew is highly allergic to horses, which trigger asthma attack.  He never could ride in his sister's car.  Whatever was carried into her  vehicle on her own clothing from her horses was sufficient to set it off.

Cruise ship cabins are not cleaned sufficiently or sanitized to take care of that.  We have stayed in hotels that have designated rooms for those traveling with pets for the same reason.  Some have rooms designated for smokers.

Edited by Walfam

Totally out of control on Royal.

Sorry to say, not everyone gets to go everywhere. If you can't manage without your "comfort animal" then a cruise vacation is not for you. There are millions of other choices.

• Like 2

I total understand people being upset about someone bringing their dog just because they have figured out a way to do so.

But I don't think I agree that people that really do need their service dog or comfort dog (sorry haven't read everyone's responses to know what the true definition is) should not be allowed to do so. Why should someone that has a need be excluded from something we all here appear to love and enjoy? 

I do understand that someone has mentioned allergies, so I can see this being a sticky situation, but I just don't like the responses that people should be excluded from cruising because someone does not like the idea of a service animal being on "THEIR" cruise.  I feel like it is none of my business as to why someone needs a service animal. But yes I do agree that said service animal should be a trained and well mannered service animal. 

I guess when I read a little of this thread I think about military members having service animals or comfort animals (again do not know the true definition) because of the things they have seen or been through, I think who in the heck am I to say they have no right to bring their service or comfort animal with them to try to have a nice vacation?

• Like 1

Yes, except it seems I can get a harness and a phoney certificate off the internet and my Border Collie can board the ship with me and run wild. Preposterous. 

Without any real regulating authority out there to certify animals I think cruise lines should tighten up the rules.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, qoap24 said:

I total understand people being upset about someone bringing their dog just because they have figured out a way to do so.

But I don't think I agree that people that really do need their service dog or comfort dog (sorry haven't read everyone's responses to know what the true definition is) should not be allowed to do so. Why should someone that has a need be excluded from something we all here appear to love and enjoy? 

I do understand that someone has mentioned allergies, so I can see this being a sticky situation, but I just don't like the responses that people should be excluded from cruising because someone does not like the idea of a service animal being on "THEIR" cruise.  I feel like it is none of my business as to why someone needs a service animal. But yes I do agree that said service animal should be a trained and well mannered service animal. 

I guess when I read a little of this thread I think about military members having service animals or comfort animals (again do not know the true definition) because of the things they have seen or been through, I think who in the heck am I to say they have no right to bring their service or comfort animal with them to try to have a nice vacation?

(bold is mine) That's the point of the ADA law. People who need a service animal should have access to "goods and services," including cruises. I don't think many people object to genuine service dogs. It's the fakes most posters are complaining about.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 5

Just a point of info - Although several posts have stated that only dogs are considered service animals by the ADA,  a provision for miniature horses trained as service animals was included in 2010 under revised Dept. of Justice guidelines. (Scroll down to bottom of page).

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rangeley said:

I wish they would have some law here for certification. 

Good point Fouremco made about Canada’s certification requirements. I agree with Cindy (Rangeley) - most of us with trained service animals absolutely would welcome certification laws in the US to weed out the poorly-behaved fakes in public.

Nonprofit organizations that provide dogs like ours for free not only train them extensively, they train us as handlers and have systems in place of monitoring, training support, and mandatory recurrent training checkups throughout our dogs’ lifetimes. 

• Like 2

If one wants to see what a true service dog is, recall the picture of George H W Bush's dog laying in front of his casket.

The cruise lines don't hesitate to enforce rules that can affect their bottom line - like bringing on your own booze.  Perhaps if enough people started complaining about fake service dogs being allowed on board, the cruise lines would worry that it could affect their bottom line as well.

It worked for smoking on board.

Edited by SargassoPirate
  • Like 3

Comfort dogs should stay home and I wish the US cruise industry would asked for service dogs certifications.

This would stop comfort animals from sailing on a cruise ship.

IMHO.

Edited by cruise47
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Good point Fouremco made about Canada’s certification requirements. I agree with Cindy (Rangeley) - most of us with trained service animals absolutely would welcome certification laws in the US to weed out the poorly-behaved fakes in public.

Nonprofit organizations that provide dogs like ours for free not only train them extensively, they train us as handlers and have systems in place of monitoring, training support, and mandatory recurrent training checkups throughout our dogs’ lifetimes. 

What I believe should happen is that non-profits should be able to "test" a dog that was owner trained (due to cost, or inability to get one from a non-profit for whatever reason), and then certify that dog for free, or for a charge to the government, and make certification universal.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

What I believe should happen is that non-profits should be able to "test" a dog that was owner trained (due to cost, or inability to get one from a non-profit for whatever reason), and then certify that dog for free, or for a charge to the government, and make certification universal.

That’s an excellent suggestion. Service dog organizations that are members of Assistance Dogs International-North America have high standards and follow certification programs for their service dog trainers already.

For the dogs and their handlers currently trained by ADINA member organizations, there are performance & behavioral standards, pertaining to each type of disability, already in place. After completion of our training together, my dog & I were put through our paces and observed by a certified trainer in public places (grocery store, restaurant, drugstore, etc.) with distractions during different situations before we were approved as a team to be granted public access. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

My service dog was trained by an ADINA school in Canada.  I believe it’s possible for non-profits to test owner trained dogs but I’m not sure why they would want to.  They know the dogs in their programs - and release many of them as unsuitable.  They extensively train both dog and human handler and do yearly follow up testing.  In BC, Canada, my Guide Dog/Service Dog ID is only good for two year so the ADINA trainers add that test to our requirements.

Getting a ‘snap shot’ view of an owner trained dog in order to meet certification requirements couldn’t begin to give a full picture of how a dog reacts in complex social situations.  Why would an organization want to certify that dog/handler pair as well screened/trained/tested as one of their own?

Thanks to ADINA, my 1st service dog made six trips to England and current dog one - all in the business class cabin of British Airlines - and I’m looking forward to our Alaskan cruise in five weeks!  

But I admit to having a few misgivings about how we’ll be treated by our fellow passengers after reading some of the comments here and on other threads regarding service dogs cruising.  I can only hope we’ll be treated as fairly as we treat others.

Edited by Miki_moto
  • Like 1

Who has to clean up when dogs do their business on the ship as if the crew don't do enough now? At least on land the owner is suppose to. Big difference between service dogs & comfort dogs. This bit about comfort animals is getting out of control, wasn't there some one trying to bring a comfort alligator on a plane & another one a peacock? Imagine a miniature horse on a plane or cruise ship or restaurant? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miki_moto said:

But I admit to having a few misgivings about how we’ll be treated by our fellow passengers after reading some of the comments here and on other threads regarding service dogs cruising.  I can only hope we’ll be treated as fairly as we treat others.

I didn’t see any negative posts regarding service dogs.  Maybe I missed them.  I did see a lot of posts regarding ill-behaved pseudo service dogs, which I agree with.  If I saw someone poo-ing on the carpet or barking in the MDR you can bet I’d be posting about it too.  Lol

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Miki_moto said:

My service dog was trained by an ADINA school in Canada.  I believe it’s possible for non-profits to test owner trained dogs but I’m not sure why they would want to.  They know the dogs in their programs - and release many of them as unsuitable.  They extensively train both dog and human handler and do yearly follow up testing.  In BC, Canada, my Guide Dog/Service Dog ID is only good for two year so the ADINA trainers add that test to our requirements.

Getting a ‘snap shot’ view of an owner trained dog in order to meet certification requirements couldn’t begin to give a full picture of how a dog reacts in complex social situations.  Why would an organization want to certify that dog/handler pair as well screened/trained/tested as one of their own?

Thanks to ADINA, my 1st service dog made six trips to England and current dog one - all in the business class cabin of British Airlines - and I’m looking forward to our Alaskan cruise in five weeks!  

I think (or hope) that most people can recognize a properly trained service dog by its behavior and attention to its owner, and will respond with tact and understanding. Some people may ask you what the dog does for you, but let's hope that's genuine interest in and admiration for the variety of tasks dogs can be trained to do, not a challenge to the legitimacy of the service performed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Miki_moto said:

While a very small minority of posters whine more than the dogs they complain about, I think you'll find that neither you nor your dog will be treated negatively onboard. Your biggest problem may be with kids (of all ages) wanting to pet your dog.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

While a very small minority of posters whine more than the dogs they complain about, I think you'll find that neither you nor your dog will be treated negatively onboard. Your biggest problem may be with kids (of all ages) wanting to pet your dog.

Some people don't want cigarette smoke, some don't want animals.  That is a point of view not a whine.

18 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Some people don't want cigarette smoke, some don't want animals.  That is a point of view not a whine.

It's a point of view at odds with the law. The ADA law says that people with service dogs may take them wherever they go. (There's no law that says people may smoke wherever they go)

• Like 1

Just now, 3rdGenCunarder said:

It's a point of view at odds with the law. The ADA law says that people with service dogs may take them wherever they go. (There's no law that says people may smoke wherever they go)

I am not so sure ADA has any standing outside of the US, right?  It might be informative to read the state departments article on requirements for animals.